Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7694 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

NYCC 2012: Marvel NOW! The Avengers panel recap

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The hall was packed as Arune Singh, the Director of Communications at Marvel, took to the podium and began the panel by taking a jab at DC and The New 52.  He wanted to clarify that Marvel NOW! isn't a reboot because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."   The crowd mostly cheered, but you could hear scattered DC fans booing.  

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE is going to compliment the primary AVENGERS book by providing smaller, more concise stories.  Senior VP of Publishing Tom Brevoort called the book a "shot glass of Avengers."  He also labelled it as "shorter, sharper and more character focused."  The panel revealed the first story will have an additional focus on an Iron Man / Hulk rivalry.  
    SECRET AVENGERS is going have an extra emphasis on the "secret" part.  It was called a cross between an Avengers and a S.H.I.E.L.D. book.  The missions are apparently so classified that (somehow) the team won't even be allowed to know the mission they've accomplished.  Plenty of names were dropped for the title, including Nick Fury, Maria Hill, Agent Coulson, Taskmaster and the Winter Soldier.

No Caption Provided
    Jonathan Hickman + AVENGERS = very yes!  The talented writer dubbed the title as "the biggest Avengers book we've done."  The panel remarked that it's tough to top the film Marvel's The Avengers, but they're confident Hickman is delivering something that no Hollywood budget could cover.  "It's like he did on FANTASTIC FOUR, but bigger and better," said Brevoort.
    No Caption Provided
    AVENGERS ARENA is drawing a lot of comparisons to The Hunger Games and Battle Royale, but Hickman told the packed crowd to not let that deter you.  "If you like good books, you'll want to read this!" Hickman added after the book's summary was provided.  We were also treated to a preview involving X-23's healing factor truly being put to work.  The panel unanimously agreed that they last page will have you hooked.

While the AVENGERS serve as public figures, the NEW AVENGERS will become the Illuminati of the Marvel universe.  Hickman was thrilled talking about the title, calling it the book he's "most excited to write."  They also revealed the team's base will be located in Wakanda and Hickman already has 3-4 years worth of material planned for the series.  Hopefully sales will grant him the chance to tell the entire tale.
    No Caption Provided
    Kieron Gillen then spoke for a bit about his upcoming run YOUNG AVENGERS.  He said he felt a need to reinvent the series and the time gap between his and the previous run gives him the chance to do so.  When asked to describe the title, Gillen said it's all about "the idea of being an Avengers rather than the practicalities."     
    No Caption Provided
    direwolf143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By direwolf143

marvel may as well just put a bankrupt sign on their front porch. i think marvel ending their titles only to push this movie crap on collectors is bunk.these titles all look like junk. their "don't fix it if it is not broke" philosophy is not working. ultimate spider-man was a great example of this. people want fresher better versions of the heroes we all grew to love. this future stuff isn't gonna last. nor do we care about the mangling of our heroes. a cyborg hulk, thor loosing his arm and a patch over his eye looking like odin, nick fury is no longer white in continuity, and the Illuminati. whatever happened to classic stories like claremont's original run on uncanny, frank miller daredevil, len wein hulk. see where i am going? marvel needs to review the late 70's early 80's tales because that is what made marvel as big is it is now. not the tripe they are pushing now.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By xblah_blahx

Just how many avengers books will their be? So far we have Uncanny Avengers, Avengers, New Avengers, Young Avengers, Secret Avengers, and Avengers Arena. Seems a little overki!

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xblah_blahx

Oh yea, and Avengers Assemble. That's 7!!

SimonM7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SimonM7

Sure, ostensibly it's confusing and all seems to blend together, but upon closer inspection they will all individually have a thing going that you either like or don't like. At the end of the day you'll end up reading the book - or books - you enjoy, regardless of the title stamped on the front of it.

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SpinCookie

I thought Jerome Opena was doing the art on Avengers?! That was one of the main reasons I wanted that book, any clue where he went?

Avatar image for winterfreakinsoldier
    WinterFreakinSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@direwolf143 said:

marvel may as well just put a bankrupt sign on their front porch. i think marvel ending their titles only to push this movie crap on collectors is bunk.these titles all look like junk. their "don't fix it if it is not broke" philosophy is not working. ultimate spider-man was a great example of this. people want fresher better versions of the heroes we all grew to love. this future stuff isn't gonna last. nor do we care about the mangling of our heroes. a cyborg hulk, thor loosing his arm and a patch over his eye looking like odin, nick fury is no longer white in continuity, and the Illuminati. whatever happened to classic stories like claremont's original run on uncanny, frank miller daredevil, len wein hulk. see where i am going? marvel needs to review the late 70's early 80's tales because that is what made marvel as big is it is now. not the tripe they are pushing now.

We want change!!!!!!! But It has to be familiar!!!!!! Marvel get your S[tuff] together!!!!!!

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @direwolf143
    I made the same mistake with Nick Fury. That's suppose to be Nick Fury Jr. The son of the original, who just happens to have an eyepatch over the same eye. It's a different kind of stupid.
    Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mr. Kamikaze

I don't mind multiple Avengers titles. The difference between the many Avengers books and the many Batman books for me is that the Avengers books all focus on a different group of characters. Where as the Batman books all are focused on the same character. Which I guess is cool if you are that big of a fan of Batman, but frankly I don't think The Dark Knight or Batman Inc need to exist.

Super excited for all of these books though, especially Young Avengers. I'm iffy on Secret Avengers...Fury Jr. just irks me. I can tolerate Coulson...but Fury Jr is going to take some getting used to

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Wow, New Avengers base in Wakanda huh? Interesting! All the titles are looking great. I guess I see the point of what Singh said with regard to distinguishing NOW not being like the New 52, because its very true.

red_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By red_titan

AYE DIOS MIO!!!!!!!!!! YYYYEEEESSSS THANK YOU GGGGOOOODDDD!!!!!!!

THE YOUNG AVENGERS ARE BACK!!!!!!!

TheReaper111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheReaper111

go team venture!!!

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zackattack529

Haha whaddaya know!

Secret Avengers Actually Looks like a team of SECRET Characters for once lol. ill get that because i like nick spencer.

and Im defintiley getting New Avengers.

what is everyones opinioon on Young avengers? I like Gillen but will it be worth it more than the others?

direwolf143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By direwolf143

I used to love marvel. Spider-man with real problems whether it was to pay the bills or how to manage being a superhero and protect the ones he loves. I enjoyed Captain America being the soldier lost in time leading the avengers to battle to protect the world against overwhelming odds. I loved the Hulk being chased and forced to take a stand because he was misunderstood. I loved the X-men who just wanted to fit into society and be accepted for who they were. I loved wolverine being a brawler with an attitude and not some heartless killer.

Marvel has changed so much over the past few years. When they introduced X-23 I didn't think I'd like her. Marvel has so many great characters and could really work alot of really good stories. I'd love to see more of what we loved. I wish they'd cut back the titles and get back to the core of what made marvel great. Sure they can add titles, but limit them. Keep the core intact.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By evilvegeta74

@direwolf143: I second that!

DChero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DChero

Of course marvel throws a jab at DC -_-. it seems like the marvel universe just includes, the Avengers, and Wolverine. That pretty much sums it up to me. oh and they hate cyclops obviously lol. Im very interested in Jonathan Hickman's Avengers though. He is the reason why i love the fantastic four now. Maybe i will begin to like the avengers now. I can't lie I'm pretty interested.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#16  Edited By Outside_85

AVENGERS ARENA is drawing a lot of comparisons to The Hunger Games and Battle Royale, but Hickman told the packed crowd to not let that deter you. "If you like good books, you'll want to read this!" Hickman added after the book's summary was provided. We were also treated to a preview involving X-23's healing factor truly being put to work. The panel unanimously agreed that they last page will have you hooked.

They forgot Saw.

Seriously, it sounds like its just a batch of torture p***.

direwolf143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By direwolf143

As much as I am against wiping out continuity for marvel I think not so much as reinventing the wheel, but redefining the what the wheel is made of might be more crucial. I think Dc has a great concept going with the new 52. I just think the Ultimate line had a better overall thing going for it. You can destroy an entire universe and sure people will complain at first. Look at Crisis on Infinite Earths. Dc said ok we got too much going on and fans are having a hard time following. So in a controversial move they destroyed the DCU and rebuilt it. Marvel loves time play. So in essence they could totally go with going all the way back and redefine the origins of how each character came into play. changing history. Not wiping out continuity but redefine it. Maybe shield sent wolverine to stop the hulk for instance. Instead of Dept H. This creates a major fight between director Fury and because of it Logan leaves. Later professor Charles Xavier is targeted by shield because he is considered a threat. Charles then wipes Logan's memories forcing him to join the New X-men to be counter espionage for mutants.

least something like that. Uatu is a big key to viewing alternate time lines. Maybe marvel can redo "What If?" or create the What If? universe. Be interesting to do a new timeline with using past continuity as a source of reference and improve the strories and fill gaps in back stories.

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheHeat

" but you could hear scattered DC fans booing." 

Aww! The poor babies...

notarandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By notarandomguy

Marvel NOW, I'm getting New Avengers, Young Avengers, Secret Avengers, All New X-Men; Fantastic Four, Deadpool and Cable and X-Force. I'll try to give Thor a chance and might pick up the first two of Savage Wolverine and Hulk, I'm still trying to think whether or not I pick up Spidey. Sorry for Captain America, FF, Iron Man and the other Avengers books, I just don't feel them.

Anything else someone recommends me? (besides not buying any of it)

KennyQuick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KennyQuick

Anything by Hickman is gonna be gold! Secret Avengers I might pick up as well.

Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Meteorite

Urgh, I think I might drop Secret Avengers after Remender's run is over, I can't say this SHIELD business interests me in the slightest.

Bitchgurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bitchgurl

@Meteorite said:

Urgh, I think I might drop Secret Avengers after Remender's run is over, I can't say this SHIELD business interests me in the slightest.

I agree. SA was never all that to begin with, IMHO.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SandMan_

So...Where's Marvel Man?

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By zackattack529

@SpinCookie said:

I thought Jerome Opena was doing the art on Avengers?! That was one of the main reasons I wanted that book, any clue where he went?

Avengers will be the main Avenger book, with Uncanny Being the Flagship of marvel now so expect alot of art changes on those two books.

and i agree i think i will only pick up the first 3 because of Openas art...and if i like the story ill keep going.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

A lot of the Avengers titles look awesome.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By Miss_Garrick

I don't understand why Black Widow has to have cleavage all of a sudden. She didn't in the movies, and the whole MARVEL NOW is just trying to get as many movie stuff in their continuity as possible, so why this?

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#27  Edited By pspin

New Avengers, Young Avengers and Avengers looks pretty good.

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Stormbox

@TheHeat said:

" but you could hear scattered DC fans booing." Aww! The poor babies...

Charming

Sifighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29  Edited By Sifighter

Can't wait for Avengers Arena and the Young Avengers, I think that more teen hero comics could be really good, if written properly.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By Gambit1024

Never thought I'd ever say this, but I seriously can't wait to read New Avengers.

Avatar image for dantetheredknight
    DanteTheRedKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Marvel has waaay too many avenger books which pisses me off! They have so many great characters they could do a series on like Ant-Man, Black Panther, or maybe even create a new character to get a little more diverse? I mean when was the last time Marvel created a new mainstream character? Miles Morales doesn't count because he wasn't created in the main Marvel universe.

Tyrannotaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By Tyrannotaur

This was my only panel of my first trip to NYCC. I'm looking forward to Avengers, Avengers Arena, Young Avengers, and possibly Avengers Assemble.

Also Rick Remender is a really funny guy. John Hickman too, wanting to make Deadpool the Jarvis of the team, lolol.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#33  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I'm looking forward to The Avengers, I'm excited to see where Hickman takes the new series.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#34  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

I tired of all these avengers books. I refuse to buy any of these and most of these are frickin 4 bucks and coming bi-monthly. thats BS.

xtremekidx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By xtremekidx

not to sound a DC fanboy but i tried uncanny avengers as i heard it was good for the new readers but to be honest there was so much reference to the AvX and characters that i didnt know of that i got lost....thanks a lot marvel for getting my hopes up and shooting me down...

Mutie199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mutie199

New Avengers seems interesting. Avengers arena i think i'll read it too if its good. Young avengers i am a big fan so i am definetely reading them (except if the story is really bad)

Mr_Athrilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mr_Athrilla

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I wish Marvel took its own advice when they decided to do One More Day.

I'm not seeing anything special about this Marvel Now. Im not seeing anything new game-changing or different.If I were a guy with only a vague understanding of the Marvel Universe, and you told me the story synopsis for the NOW versions of Ironman, Wolverine, or the Fantastic 4 I never would of guessed that there was Marvel Rebrand.

frogoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By frogoat

I'm still hoping the Avengers Academy team is at least left alive for future stories following Avengers Arena. I don't want to see them butchered straight after Academy concludes.

Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Skaddix

Uncanny Avengers, Avengers, New Avengers, Avengers Assemble, Secret Avengers, Young Avengers and Avengers Arena

Lets see Avengers, New Avengers and Young Avengers are definites for me.

I will try Secret Avengers and Avengers Arena.

Avatar image for victorvondoom_1
    VictorVonDoom_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By VictorVonDoom_1

@Skaddix said:

Uncanny Avengers, Avengers, New Avengers, Avengers Assemble, Secret Avengers, Young Avengers and Avengers Arena

Lets see Avengers, New Avengers and Young Avengers are definites for me.

I will try Secret Avengers and Avengers Arena.

Pretty much what I was thinking.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Is it just me, or does Black Widow look an awful lot like Scarlet Johansson in that Secret Avengers cover >.>

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PassionFlower

New Avengers definitely a big yes and probably Avengers as well. Young Avengers I'm somewhat interested. Avengers/Hunger Games not feeling. Tired of random senseless killing heroes.

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TrueMoonchilde

I'll get Avengers and maybe New Avengers, but that's about it.

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Umbraa

I will likely get all the Avengers books. I heard that Avengers Arena is not what people think and was really good. NEW Avengers looks awesome!

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#45  Edited By Strider1992

Taskmaster for the god damn win!!!!! I wasn't going to have anything to do with Marvel Now!'s Avengers titles but the fanboy in me is going to force me to pick up Secret Avengers just for Taskmaster!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    @Strider92 said:

Taskmaster for the god damn win!!!!! I wasn't going to have anything to do with Marvel Now!'s Avengers titles but the fanboy in me is going to force me to pick up Secret Avengers just for Taskmaster!

Yeah, name-dropping Taskmaster was a surprise for me too!
    Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#47  Edited By Strider1992

@k4tzm4n: I can see why though he's awesomesauce! It'll make a change seeing him fight for the Avengers rather than against them. I hope we get a sparring match between him and Cap! We need a fight between them that actually ends with a conclusive winner!

Looks like Superior Spider-man is not the only Marvel Now! title on my pull-list anymore.

DJ1107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DJ1107

@direwolf143

Do me a favor & Shut the hell up you twat. You argument of what wrong with Marvel simply translates to "Everything was better in MY day" Like an average fanboy who doesn't know what he's talking about.. The whole "Make it more like the movies" is Bullshit outside of Nick Fury Jr. Nobody else in the Marvel universe is like their movie counterparts Galactus isn't a giant cloud & The X-men have more traditional costumes. Clearly you haven't even read any books Marvel has right now. I don't know if you know this but there's a little book called Daredevil written by Mark Waid it hasn't done much except WIN AN EISNER AWARD & DID SOMETHING INTERESTING WITH A ONCE ONE NOTE CHARACTER! There's also 2 books called Captain Marvel & Hawkeye. Both are currently dominating in terms of writing & art & guess what Niether are using anything from the movies. So why don't you do all of us a favor & go back to DC & read a universe where the continuity is as screwed as it could be You F***ing twat.

RPatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RPatrick

@DJ1107 said:

@direwolf143

Do me a favor & Shut the hell up you twat. You argument of what wrong with Marvel simply translates to "Everything was better in MY day" Like an average fanboy who doesn't know what he's talking about.. The whole "Make it more like the movies" is Bullshit outside of Nick Fury Jr. Nobody else in the Marvel universe is like their movie counterparts Galactus isn't a giant cloud & The X-men have more traditional costumes. Clearly you haven't even read any books Marvel has right now. I don't know if you know this but there's a little book called Daredevil written by Mark Waid it hasn't done much except WIN AN EISNER AWARD & DID SOMETHING INTERESTING WITH A ONCE ONE NOTE CHARACTER! There's also 2 books called Captain Marvel & Hawkeye. Both are currently dominating in terms of writing & art & guess what Niether are using anything from the movies. So why don't you do all of us a favor & go back to DC & read a universe where the continuity is as screwed as it could be You F***ing twat.

Now that, friends, is how you make an argument! Name-calling, profanity, horrendous grammar and a typically fanboy-ish sense of needing to totally lose one's mind in defense of comic-books. Well done, sir.

That being said, I agree with just about everything you said (if not how you said it.) Marvel should not be looking back to the 70's, as direwolf said they should be doing. I, for one, am enjoying Marvel's new way of approaching their two biggest franchises, the Avengers and the X-Men. It seems forward-thinking, at least from a storytelling standpoint. They're doing something that really hasn't been done before, that is, folding two franchises together in a kind of vendiagram kind of way. They're still separate, but in places (Uncanny Avengers, Sunspot and Cannonball on the main Avengers team, etc,) they overlap in a progressive and complimentary way.

As to direwolf's questioning of whatever happened to Chris Claremont's run on Uncanny and Frank Miller's run on Daredevil...well, they're still there. They still exist. But that was 20-30 years ago. Time to move on. I would argue that Waid's Daredevil run (so far) rivals Miller's. Hickman's FF run (Waid's, too) rivals Byrne's. Morrison's New X-Men rivals Claremont's (I would even say Morrison's is superior, most especially because he never once mentions the "focused totality of my psychic powers," or whatever else terribly dated dialogue Claremont later became known for .) David's Hulk rivals, well, everyone else who has ever written Hulk, honestly. And Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man and the Slott-era Amazing Spider-Man are as good as the character has ever been.

Some people are judging the books before they even read them, as is evidenced by direwolf's tirade against Marvel NOW!, which is unfair and shortsighted. (Incidentally, the Hulk is not a cyborg, and the Thor with an eyepatch is a future-version, so relax, direwolf...your characters have not been altered nearly as dramatically as you seem to think they have been.)

These characters have been around for 5 decades. I see no problem in trying some new types of stories with them. It's better than re-hashing the same themes and adventures that we've seen before. We will see what works and what doesn't. Personally, I'm excited for the Avengers books, the new X-books (with the exception of the two X-Forces, which seems redundant to me,) and am more than willing to give them a shot, especially given the talent involved.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.