New Avengers?

#1 Posted by Termination (73 posts) - - Show Bio

I've heard rumors that Marvel is considering putting Ghost Rider and Spider-Man in the Avengers. Is that true? Because Ghost Rider isn't the save-the-world type of guy and, as far as I know, spider-Man is a loner. So is it true?

#2 Posted by logy5000 (5774 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard about ghost rider, but not spiderman.

#3 Posted by Haaydrian (173 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man is a loner?

#4 Posted by JediXMan (30611 posts) - - Show Bio

Hasn't Spider-Man been part of the New Avengers for a few years now?

#5 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Which Ghost Rider?

#6 Posted by Mycroftian (109 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man has been an Avenger for quite some time now, yes. Hadn't heard about Ghost Rider, though

#7 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

Great! Bring Hulk back and they'll have the New Fantastic Four together again!

#8 Edited by Dernman (15093 posts) - - Show Bio

Ghost Rider shouldn't be a hero IMO. He should be a semi horror comic. Spider-Man does deserve to be on the Avengers but I prefer it when he's not. He just ends up getting lost in the mix.

#9 Posted by Cavemold (1682 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/marvel-now-david-gabriel-diamond-interview.html Theres a new avenger variant cover here The cast looks like Iron man Black blot black panther Reed

#10 Posted by PowerHerc (84031 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man shouldn't ever have been an Avenger and Ghost Rider shouldn't ever be an Avenger.

#11 Posted by Cavemold (1682 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider -man has had many cross over with the avengers ... It makes sense

#12 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man hasn't been a loner for a while. I agree, he's better off not on a team, but sadly, since everyone loves him, he's gotta be on both of Marvel's iconic teams (Avengers and FF). Personally, I like the idea of him as an Avenger, but in Bendis's entire run on both Avengers and New Avengers, never once was there a moment where I thought "Ya know, Spider-Man really contributes something here." There were, however, moments where I thought "Christ, if Spider-Man makes another damn joke about Denny's, I'll burn this book." Bottom line, the idea is nice, but get a writer that knows how to write a team book and we'll take it from there. As far as him being on FF, I thought it was completely unnecessary, but Hickman at least did a decent job of letting Peter contribute something to the situations.

Ghost Rider is another story. He doesn't need to be an Avenger. He's a hero, no doubt, but he's not that kind of hero.

#13 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

Ghost Rider should never be an Avenger... but since its a stupid idea, Marvel is probably doing it as we speak.

#14 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6895 posts) - - Show Bio

Ghost Rider as an Avenger. NO. 
Hasn't Spiderman been part of the Avengers for years now?

#15 Posted by TheCannon (18731 posts) - - Show Bio

Hasn't Spidey been on the team for years?

As for GR: NO! I will never buy a Marvel Comic Book if he is added to the Avengers.

#16 Edited by War Killer (20207 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:

never once was there a moment where I thought "Ya know, Spider-Man really contributes something here." 

I disagree with your point here, because when Dark Reign was going on Bendis made Spidey the "voice of reason" for the whole team. While Hawkeye was ready to just go over to Avengers Tower and put an arrow through Norman Osborn's skull, Spider-Man was the only one who objected to the idea and felt that, as heroes, they should rise above just killing their enemies and instead bring them to justice the right way.

That's one of the main reasons that I feel makes Spider-Man perfect on any Avengers team; he is the one who will remind you, whether you're Hawkeye or even Captain America, what it means to truly be a hero and will be the one to speak out about it.
#17 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

^ To be fair, I should've mentioned that I gave up with Avengers altogether after Secret Invasion.

#18 Posted by War Killer (20207 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024: Fair enough. :P
#19 Posted by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems like everyone in the Marvel U is going to be an Avenger at some point. Might as well throw Ghost Rider on the team just to get it out of the way. They'll figure out it's a horrible idea sooner or later.

#20 Posted by Mycroftian (109 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not quite so opposed to the idea of Ghost Rider being an Avenger. Maybe that's just because my taste in comics is for some reason perpetually stuck in the 90s, but right now Ghost Rider doesn't seem to be doing much of anything, (correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe he's currently featured in a single monthly title) and I'd like to see him start making regular appearances. He did get an UMvC3 appearance, and I'm pretty sure that game's roster was 90% marketing, so maybe Marvel has something in mind for him

#21 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man, Hulk, Wolverine, and Ghost Rider are their own team, the New Fantastic Four. (And they even recently did the spin-offs for that, with Venom (Flash), Red Hulk, X-23, and Ghost Rider (Alejandra).) So even ghost rider has a "team book" under his belt.

#22 Posted by logy5000 (5774 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: I think he's talking about the movie versions....

#23 Posted by TheCannon (18731 posts) - - Show Bio

@logy5000 said:

1.Why only tell me?

2. No he isn't.

#24 Posted by Termination (73 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

@logy5000 said:

1.Why only tell me?

2. No he isn't.

Yes I am.

#25 Edited by TheCannon (18731 posts) - - Show Bio

@Termination said:

@TheCannon said:

@logy5000 said:

1.Why only tell me?

2. No he isn't.

Yes I am.

Then you REALLY need to change the OP and possibly even get this deleted to make a new one (due to the name).

And it's also impossible since neither character is owned by Marvel

#26 Posted by logy5000 (5774 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: Spider-Man and Ghost Rider are definitely Marvel.

#27 Edited by TheCannon (18731 posts) - - Show Bio

@logy5000 said:

@TheCannon: Spider-Man and Ghost Rider are definitely Marvel.

Marvel does not own the rights to any of those characters in a movie. Most people understand what I'm saying. Instead, you try and make it sound like I was saying they're not Marvel Characters.

#28 Posted by logy5000 (5774 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: Are you calling me stupid?

#29 Posted by TheCannon (18731 posts) - - Show Bio

@logy5000 said:

@TheCannon: Are you calling me stupid?

No. But you should of known what I was saying.

#30 Posted by logy5000 (5774 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: You said that neither character was owned by Marvel. I know that the recent Spider-Man movie isn't Marvel, but they certainly have the right to make their own movie about him.

#31 Edited by TheCannon (18731 posts) - - Show Bio

@logy5000 said:

@TheCannon: You said that neither character was owned by Marvel. I know that the recent Spider-Man movie isn't Marvel, but they certainly have the right to make their own movie about him.

No, the rights to Spider-man in a movie belong to Sony. Marvel dos not have the rights to him. Same with GR.

#32 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

Spider-Man, Hulk, Wolverine, and Ghost Rider are their own team, the New Fantastic Four. (And they even recently did the spin-offs for that, with Venom (Flash), Red Hulk, X-23, and Ghost Rider (Alejandra).) So even ghost rider has a "team book" under his belt.

And the Midnighters or the Midnight Sons or whatever. Blade was on it.

@logy5000: Spider-Man and Ghost Rider's movie rights belong to Sony, not Marvel Studios. Neither one of them could be in any Avengers movie unless they come to an agreement or their rights revert back to Marvel/Disney.

Wait, so this thread is about the movies?

#33 Posted by logy5000 (5774 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: Huh, I did hear rumors of Ghost Rider joining the Avengers in the next movie, but I didn't believe it though cause movie Ghost Rider isn't much of a hero.

#34 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

Technically Spider-man has been a reserve member of the Avengers since the 80s

#35 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@logy5000: Then whoever wrote that rumor hasn't done their homework. Marvel Studios hasn't owned the GR rights for quite a while, and they won't be getting them back anytime soon. Not unless they either buy them out or they revert back on their own (about 10 years or so after the last movie)

#36 Posted by fullmetalquach (94 posts) - - Show Bio

i hope youre not talking about the movie universe, spiderman is an avenger and ghost rider doesnt seem to fit, maybe a descendant of ghost rider like in Secret Warriors, but he just doesnt really fit the bill

#37 Posted by TDK_1997 (14896 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man is on the New Avengers since Bendis' run.2005.

#38 Posted by longbowhunter (7091 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no clue who is going to be in the "New" New Avengers. But I've got it added to my pull list.

#39 Posted by daredevil21134 (11821 posts) - - Show Bio

Everybody is an Avenger these days,so this means nothing to me.

#40 Posted by Umbraa (915 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter said:

I have no clue who is going to be in the "New" New Avengers. But I've got it added to my pull list.

This is at least part of the NEW Avengers team.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.