Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7694 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Mutates in the Cinematic Universe?

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

I was wondering if it's possible for Marvel/Disney to use the term "Mutate" for Pietro and Wanda Maximoff? Mutate is a term in Marvel used to refer to superhumans who acquired their superpowers by exposure to some compound or energy that can cause mutations. The Hulk, Captain America, Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, etc, are all Mutates, but does that Marvel/Disney can't alter the term to apply to Pietro and Wanda?

Sure they can't be called mutants, but wouldn't this be the next best thing since Mutate is also a Marvel term? I mean, since they don't seem to have a concept of mutants in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, for obvious reasons, couldn't the usage of mutate allow them to keep to the Maximoff siblings origins and even allow for the use of other mutant characters that were never really a part of the X-Men/Brotherhood like Namor since he wasn't a confirmed mutant until the 90's.

What do you guys think?

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'd be ok if they just mentioned that they received their powers at birth. That differentiates them from all Marvel heroes that are not mutants.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscars94: Still imagine this scene.

Banner: They seem to have some kind of genetic anomaly.

Stark: Like your big green buddy?

Banner: Not exactly, this looks like some kind of mutation. According to these results it would have happened in the womb.

Stark: Mutation got it, so they're mutates.

Banner: That's not the right.......

Stark: Sounds cooler.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

with this whole marvel inhuman thing, as one poster noted- they'll just make wanda n petey inhumans

cooooooooool

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phisigmatau: Hmm. Well since Pietro does have a history with the Inhumans, even having been hit by the Terrigen Mists, I can see that working.

JROCK72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#5  Edited By JROCK72

I like mutants better than mutates. They could have discrimination/racism towards mutants playing a minor role in the film.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Which is great, the MCU is the perfect place with no X-Men involved. Its both great in story and no one has to be bothered by the "why does no one care about mutants?"

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

yeah, I think for the sake of the movies, they should just not mention their past, rather than actually change it.

when asked how they received their powers, they can just reply that they have had them since they were children and leave it at that. That sums it up well enough without having to take anything away from the characters.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Which is great, the MCU is the perfect place with no X-Men involved. Its both great in story and no one has to be bothered by the "why does no one care about mutants?"

bingo, love it.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@phisigmatau: @tigerkaya: Look I agree with both of you. In fact I LOVE the fact they don't have mutants in the Cinematic Universe as I always thought that the concept of mutants being hated and feared worked best in a universe where they're either are no other superheroes or are very few with the ones that actually have powers being ones like Spider-Man or Hulk due to the fact they've had the same level of distrust and fear mutants have had.

However with the inclusion of Pietro and Wanda in Avengers 2, I have to wonder just how they plan on doing their origins without being able to reference Magneto. Then again, they weren't confirmed as his kids for a while in the comics so that wouldn't be much of a problem.

Actually with that Inhuman comic Marvel has coming out, with the Inhumans living on Earth now, I wouldn't be surprised if they adapted the Inhumans to be mutant stand ins......... just you know without the usual hated and feared X-Men stuff.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phisigmatau: @tigerkaya:In fact I LOVE the fact they don't have mutants in the Cinematic Universe as I always thought that the concept of mutants being hated and feared worked best in a universe where they're either are no other superheroes or are very few with the ones that actually have powers being ones like Spider-Man or Hulk due to the fact they've had the same level of distrust and fear mutants have had.

i couldnt have said it any better myself my man.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smart_dork_dude: Well I would have chosen Wanda and Pietro descendants of Eternal's Makkari and Sersi but I guess Inhuman background works to I guess.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tigerkaya: Well, Pietro has had a lot of dealings with the Inhumans. He married Crystal, has a child with her, and was exposed to the Terrigen Mists

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
    NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@tigerkaya: Well, Pietro has had a lot of dealings with the Inhumans. He married Crystal, has a child with her, and was exposed to the Terrigen Mists

He never had a good relationship with the inhumans though......

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smart_dork_dude: That's true, but I never liked the Inhumans on earth to me they were far more interesting ruling The Kree.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk, Cap, Spidey, FF, and Deadpool are Mutates not Pierto and Wanda. MetH would prefer if tHey would say it is in their DNA and tHey seem to be more evolved tHan otHer Humans.

THey can be called metaHumans from birtH. Hell MetH will settle for Mutate if tHey point out tHey are Mutates from BirtH.

-m3th.O.D.-

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 13

We'll have to see

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@oscars94: Still imagine this scene.

Banner: They seem to have some kind of genetic anomaly.

Stark: Like your big green buddy?

Banner: Not exactly, this looks like some kind of mutation. According to these results it would have happened in the womb.

Stark: Mutation got it, so they're mutates.

Banner: That's not the right.......

Stark: Sounds cooler.

Could definitely see that.

Also, Disney/Marvel doesn't have the rights to call them mutants even if the name X-Men or Magneto or anything like that isn't even mentioned? Man, I hate this stupid separate ownership of Marvel characters deal...

Avatar image for themarvelfanboy
    TheMarvelFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They'll probably go with the InHuman route, which im totally fine with.

goobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By goobot

I dont understand how one can own the right to use the word mutant. I can understand not saying their origins or talking about the x-gen, but a common word in movies in general?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: Message those lines to Whedon, right now!

MasterBelmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There actually has been a mutant in the MCU. It was that Scorch guy on the "Girl in the flower dress" episode of Agents of Shield. At the beginning of the episode, he said his powers just emerged one day, meaning he's a mutant.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There actually has been a mutant in the MCU. It was that Scorch guy on the "Girl in the flower dress" episode of Agents of Shield. At the beginning of the episode, he said his powers just emerged one day, meaning he's a mutant.

no he could just as easily be an inhuman

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.