Marvel's 'Avengers' Titles Come To An End

• 100 results
Posted by No_Name_ (12593 posts) - - Show Bio

All good things must come to an end!   

It seems that DC is not the only company that will be changing the lineups of their upcoming books! Marvel recently released the solicitations previews that revealed that the end of SIEGE will also mark the end of all of the Avengers titles. That's right, all of the major Marvel Avengers titles (New Avengers, Dark Avengers, Mighty Avengers and the Avengers: The Initiative will be canceled. However, Marvel very well will not cancel some of it's highest grossing titles without having something to replace them, right? Based on the preview released earlier, it seems that the end of SIEGE will mean a dawn of a new age at Marvel, 'The Heroic Age.' What do you think this will mean for fans of the franchise? Are you disappointed that Marvel will be canceling these issues, or are you looking forward to the end of SIEGE and the start of the Heroic Age?     

#1 Posted by TheHood (155 posts) - - Show Bio

This is purely a guess, but I would assume that they'd probably start up a new Avengers title, probably called just "The Avengers" to replace the four other books. But we'll have to see how it goes.

#2 Posted by War Killer (20368 posts) - - Show Bio

I bet The Heroic Age will be the theam for all of the Avengers title, along with others such as Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, and other Avengers related heroes. But I do believe that 2010 will be a big year for the Avengers.

#3 Posted by iLLituracy (13495 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait until they actually get around to what the Heroic Age actually is, if it is something. Either way, Marvel's not going to just chop down a number of flagship titles and not give something back in return, so yeah, it's a given that something is going to come out of this.

#4 Posted by Overguardian (88 posts) - - Show Bio

Kinda sucks, I've been digging New Avengers. 
But to paraphrase Ben 'Yahtzee' Crowshaw, a Marvel without an Avengers title is like a fat kid swimming without water wings. 
I think TheHood is right, there will just be another Avengers title along pretty soon, especially with all the fuss they've been making about Cap, Thor and Iron Man fighting together again and ESPECIALLY especially with the movie coming. 

But then, I was sure Jean would be alive by the time X-Men 3 hit theaters so I've been wrong before.

#5 Posted by bingbangboom (735 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this is at least giving some hype to Siege as it is really the finale to all the stories that have been happening. I have really enjoyed most of what they have to offer and never read Avengers before New Avengers and has me sort of excited to see what they do. I would imagine the lineup will be pretty good: Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, etc. I do hope that there is more than one Avengers team though, maybe bringing back the Young Avengers with some senior members? 

I think the Dark Avengers were interesting and was really more of an evolution of Thunderbolts which I would like to see remain in some form.

#6 Posted by Overguardian (88 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, what the holy heck is up with the Thor vs Thor image? 
Please don't tell me they're bringing the old costume back, the new one is better in every single solitary regard.

#7 Posted by Grim (2095 posts) - - Show Bio
@Overguardian said:
" Also, what the holy heck is up with the Thor vs Thor image? Please don't tell me they're bringing the old costume back, the new one is better in every single solitary regard. "
im pretty sure its the Robo-clone Thor. Last i knew he was revived or something.
#8 Posted by Gothic Storm (826 posts) - - Show Bio

This is exactly what I've been referring to as "keeping it fresh for future generations". With all that is big in the world today (mainly the internet), comic book companies have to keep their ideas fresh so they don't lose readers to video games and other new versions of entertainment. Back in the day, comic books were one of the only forms of entertainment for me and my friends. The town we grew up in was pretty small and full of historic landmarks. So people freaked out over any kind of progress... such as the new Walmart that was finally built there right after I moved! Most comic book stores around here have either closed or have had to expand to include video games, sports collectibles, card games, etc. 

I hope this works out for Marvel. I'd hate to see one of their biggest franchises fade away right before it hits it's peak of popularity. The next few years belong to Marvel (in the theaters). I look forward to Marvel (and DC and... ) to keep my kids, grandkids, great... yeah, you get the idea.

#9 Posted by Sierra Comics Captain (39 posts) - - Show Bio

i just posted this on the forums 2 hours ago
#10 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3409 posts) - - Show Bio
 They better not cancel Iron Man.
Seems kind of silly to cancel a title if all you are going to do is replace it with a similar comic but with a different name. Also, it strikes me as the tiniest bit odd that they will cancel this comic two years before The Avengers movie is due to come out. Just makes me think they will just bring it back before the movie.

For all that is mighty (including Thor). Please, don't let "The Heroic Age" be the title of the event after The Siege.
#11 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

I swear Marvel is tryign to do everything they can to get me to buy the Seige :)

I think they'll just roll the titles together, drop some members, add some new ones, bring some classics back. Which is fine by me, and maybe this new heroic age is a return to the self contained story arcs, where you didn't have to buy five different issues a month to keep track *shrugs* who knows what they are thinking.

#12 Posted by CrowRider (30 posts) - - Show Bio

@Overguardian: over at IGN.com, Overguardian, it confirms that Thor'll be fighting his roboclone, the one Tony Stark made over in Civil War. What I do hat is that Marvel confirmed that John Romita Jr will take over Thor after Siege, replacing Billy Tan. Now I kno there r some Romita fanboys out there, but to me, his art is an eyesore. I'd much rather get back Oliver Coipel or remain with Billy Tan.
about the avengers; well, i ve been rooting for a return of the ORIGINAL avengers (incl. cap and maybe hulk) in some form as the core team of avengers. Think of it: they all had some sort of makeover recently, and it makes plenty of sense to herald a new age of heroes with a revamp of the greatest heroes: Thor has got his new costume, Tony a new armor, Captain America had a new look in his REBORN series (which he should've kept - makes more sense than his clownish looks) and so did Hank Pym, Janet Van Dyne being dead. Hulk, on the other hand, has a new alter ego (the Red Hulk) who exerts more control on himself than the green goliath. my money's on the return of the originals, the rest being offshoots somehow.

#13 Posted by skaarason (680 posts) - - Show Bio

i hope daken is still in his dark wolverine suit after everything goes down !!!!!!

#14 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Heroic Age

#15 Posted by Blue_Shield (780 posts) - - Show Bio

My first thought is..UGH! I've been enjoying all of these titles, and after Siege, I expected Dark Avengers and possibly New Avengers and Mighty Avengers to merge.  I'm most disappointed about Avengers: The Initiative.  I have loved The Initiative since #1.  I am a big fan of lesser known characters that the title has spotlighted, and hope it continues in some form.

#16 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm kinda sad to see New Avengers end. I mean lately its been kinda blah, but when it first started out it was the best! I'm curious if popular characters like Wolverine and Spider-Man will stick around for the next line of Avengers or if their run ends with the team.

#17 Posted by Neena Thurman (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Well.... at least that's one less team for Wolverine to be on?

I did rather enjoy Mighty Avengers though. What the hell is Hank Pym going to do with himself now? He's really got nothing going for him now.

#18 Posted by LB70145 (194 posts) - - Show Bio
@CrowRider: Red Hulk is most likely going to die after the Fall of the Hulks Storyline. Or at least that's what I'm hoping for. I hate Red Hulk, just more stupid ideas from Jeph Loeb (*cough* Ultimatum *cough*).

However, I do agree with some of your points. Hopefully the new roster of Avengers will include the orginals (Cap, Thor, Iron Man, and Pym) but I hope they include the people that made New Avengers such a good book (Cage, Spidey, Ronin, Ms. Marvel, etc.). I'll laugh if they end up with 1-3 Avengers books later anyway.

@FoxxFireArt: Don't worry they have two years, an Avengers title will manifest in some form way before the film will come out. Hopefully, you're right and "Heroic Age" isn't considered an event. It would be nice to have self-contained stories again.

I find it funny that DC and Marvel are having similar "bright" arcs after such "dark" arcs.
#19 Posted by bjames40 (10 posts) - - Show Bio

who cares marvel sucks hard
#20 Posted by Ferro Vida (34698 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as I do enjoy New Avengers and Dark Avengers, I think that only good things will come from this. At the very least it will free up a lot of characters to start doing other things; make an impact in a new team, or maybe even get thier own series.

It may be overly optimistic at this point, but I think this will lead to something good.

#21 Posted by Stormultt (5227 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank god.
#22 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29515 posts) - - Show Bio
@bjames40 said:
"who cares marvel sucks hard "

No, no, no. BENDIS sucks hard. Marvel's just fine. ;)
#23 Posted by strangeling (180 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy said:
"...Marvel's not going to just chop down a number of flagship titles and not give something back in return, so yeah, it's a given that something is going to come out of this. "
And all the new books will be $3.99.
#24 Posted by Queen's Halo (2406 posts) - - Show Bio

This is sad. I will miss them all, The Initiative and New Avengers the most. 

#25 Posted by iLLituracy (13495 posts) - - Show Bio
@bjames40 said:
" who cares marvel sucks hard "
Clearly that's YOUR opinion. One that has no purpose in this thread.

@strangeling said:
" @iLLituracy said:
"...Marvel's not going to just chop down a number of flagship titles and not give something back in return, so yeah, it's a given that something is going to come out of this. "
And all the new books will be $3.99. "

If they cut back the four titles to one or two then it's less money, anyway.
#26 Posted by Blindside002 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, wtf are you serious? Unless I see some more self titles like a new Ms. Marvel and She-hulk series I'm about done with Marvel. This is just retarded.
#27 Edited by DH69 (4193 posts) - - Show Bio

YAY, i can go back to one avengers team again without forgeting which one is actually worth reading. but baww its a mix up i loved new avengers when it started and all the way to secret invasion but after that the artwork took a major hit and so did the story. mighty started out bad but pym has turned it around so i'll miss that. initiative was great at the beging but once the artist left to do secret warriors it lost some points with me. and dark avengers...its just amusing watching osborn manipulate people.

#28 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sierra Comics Captain said:
" i just posted this on the forums 2 hours ago "
And two other people posted about it before you.  Shame on you for not using the Search functions ;p 

Anyway, Babs & G-Man can't turn regular threads into Articles.  That's why they have to repost.  
#29 Posted by the guv'nor (84 posts) - - Show Bio

i am disappointed but i saw it coming.i really enjoyed new avengers,loved seeing the so called fringe characters in a team together i.e iron fist,luke cage,dr strange also it was a bit of a dream line up for people,wolverine,spider man,captain america all together.Also Avengers the initiative was a good idea kinda wasted,all those lesser known marvel characters that they could of done so much more with.
Also i believe this is just amove to get Iron man,Thor and Capback together as the Avengers because of the movies coming out which i feel is a cynical move by them and undoes the progression all these titles made.

#30 Posted by Emerald_General_Jai (2306 posts) - - Show Bio

Dn't really read/follow Avengers. So nope. Dinnae care. Besides, some varient of the name/franchise shall replace it. An I'm not even gunna pretend like i bought those books on da regular. 

#31 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3409 posts) - - Show Bio
@LB70145 said:
"
@FoxxFireArt: Don't worry they have two years, an Avengers title will manifest in some form way before the film will come out. Hopefully, you're right and "Heroic Age" isn't considered an event. It would be nice to have self-contained stories again.  I find it funny that DC and Marvel are having similar "bright" arcs after such "dark" arcs. "
That's kind of my point. They will just return to The Avengers title anyways. It just throws things off with the numbering.

When it comes to DC and Marvel. I look at them as the Coke and Pepsi Wars. One does something and the other soon emulates it. Remember a few years back when they both added lime and vanilla flavoring to their drinks. I'm not even sure if either are even made anymore. There was even the Crystal Pepsi and the lesser known Coke Clear.

I think I remember back in some interview with Stan Lee he talked about how the Fantastic Four was Marvel's answer to the Justice League. It was just his idea to make them a family.
#32 Posted by CrowRider (30 posts) - - Show Bio
@Neena Thurman said:
" Well.... at least that's one less team for Wolverine to be on?  I did rather enjoy Mighty Avengers though. What the hell is Hank Pym going to do with himself now? He's really got nothing going for him now. "
somehow reading that comic in which eternity declared that pym was the "scientist supreme" seemed kinda...random.it reminded me of something i saw a couple of yrs ago (i think it's in south park) about the universe declaring a character its own "enigma" or something. they just threw it in for sheer randomness. 
still i like his new look, but i preferred yellowjacket - looked more memorable. he could still revamp his look, retaining most of his current costume but using the yellowjacket elements. i really like the ultimate yellowjacket look.
i positively think that this would be all worth it if the original avengers come back together, since they are the heart of the MU. they are by far my favorite avengers - cap, iron man, thor, pym and hulk. it would make sense since they're releasing the Avengers Origins mini around that time.
#33 Posted by Argentino_18 (934 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds good...

#34 Posted by Bandito (187 posts) - - Show Bio

From Dark Reign to The Heroic Age.  From Blackest Night to Brightest Day.  Sounds like both companies are attempting some classic, lighter fare for the near future. 

Unless this is like when Marvel canceled all of the X-books for four weeks during "The Age of Apocalypse".

#35 Posted by AngelFrost (2797 posts) - - Show Bio

Aww, I liked the Avengers titles. :(

#36 Posted by AngelFrost (2797 posts) - - Show Bio

Aww, I liked the Avengers titles. :(

#37 Posted by MichaeltheFly (6555 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess it had to come to this, even so it would still be great to see Marvel's "Trinity" working together after all this time.

#38 Posted by Dr. Detfink (459 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh. Marvel obviously will restart Avengers....um, again. It'd be funny if they made it weekly so it was just milking its fan boys 4 times but this time under one title. lol.

#39 Posted by saiyan_earthling (5540 posts) - - Show Bio

i feel so sorry :(
This is probably where the team will disband and everybody go their separate ways.

#40 Posted by SUPER-MAN 23 (2201 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a good run for the avengers

#41 Posted by xkoenig (385 posts) - - Show Bio

It's ridiculous how many people actually think this means the end of the Avengers. Of course all it means is they will relaunch a whole new series of 3 or 4 replacement Avengers titles (definitely one called plain old 'Avengers' so they can go back to the old numbering like in Amazing Spiderman and Thor). I hope they do retain one book which does something like what they are doing in Initiative with the lesser known characters - Christos Gage is doing such an excellent job with that title. And they definitely need to keep Mike Deodato on somewhere.

#42 Posted by Victorian era Nighthunter (27 posts) - - Show Bio

Couldn't care less about New and Dark but I love the Mighty Avengers. Hope it continues in some shape or form; Dan Slott is really kicking ass on that book, especially with the spotlight/character development on Hank Pym

The initiative will be relaunched as "Avengers Academy" so no worries there

#43 Posted by E.I.S.A.M. (360 posts) - - Show Bio

Well it's about time! Hopefully this new Heroic Age will get me saying "make mine Marvel" again. If not, there's still Brightest Day.

#44 Posted by BaronVonDredd (244 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as Norman Osborn gets his ass handed to him, I'm okay with anything that follows SIEGE.
#45 Posted by HaloKing343 (1252 posts) - - Show Bio

First there was just "New Avengers", which made sense because it was replacing the "Avengers" team that had already been there. When Civil War hit, that split the Avengers up into registered and unregistered sides making the "New Avengers" and the "Mighty Avengers". This also made sense. I think "Avengers: The Innitiative" however, was not nessisary. Anyway, when Dark Reign hit, "Dark Avengers" came along because there was a new team of evil Avengers. This made sense too. So thus far, I think that with the exception of Innitiative, all of the Avengers titles have been nessisary and that their presence has been justified. If Dark Reign and the Innitiative is coming to an end, then I see no reason for "Dark Avengers", "Mighty Avengers" or "Avengers: The Innitiative". Therefore it makes sense that the only remaining Avengers title should be "New Avengers". However, this is obviously not the case. My only guess is that Marvel is going back to the begining with just "The Avengers".

#46 Posted by Blackestnight (572 posts) - - Show Bio

Good I hope its all in one or two books.  It was hard to keep up with the new avengers dark avengers and mighty avengers. A new person to comics would scratch his head and turn around. There are also too many X-men titles to follow. Use a completely different name.

#47 Posted by drawme (423 posts) - - Show Bio

That´s sad. But there will be even better new titles!!!

#48 Posted by Quest (107 posts) - - Show Bio

that is very risky  and i am very sad.

#49 Posted by reaper2923 (2779 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey I'm cool with this, maybe it will be like classical avengers

#50 Posted by Victorian era Nighthunter (27 posts) - - Show Bio

funny thing is, assuming that they are counting New, Dark and Mighty plus the previous two runs then If they had waited 2 more months then they could have launched one of the new titles as Avengers #600

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.