Marvel To Launch 'Marvel: Avengers Alliance' Facebook RPG

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

This is either a really good, or really, really not so good, depending on how you look at Facebook games. In an effort to compete with online Facebook games like Zynga's MAFIAWARS and FARMVILLE, Disney Interactive Media Group has announced the upcoming launch of their all-new Marvel Facebook game titled Marvel: Avengers Alliance.

It's one thing to go head-to-head against some of Marvel's biggest villains, but its a whole other when there is actually a point to all that fighting. According to a recent article the game will actually feature a story line. When the player launches the game they will be "recruited as a S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent.

As an Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.. players will be given the opportunity to build an all-Marvel team featuring some of the publisher's biggest names including Spider-Man, Thor, Captain America and many more. With your team of Marvel Avengers, players will deal with the repercussions of "the PULSE," a galaxy-wide disaster that has left planet earth vulnerable by targeting the super-villains of Earth and making them stronger. Based on the trailer, some of the super-villains players will face off against include Doctor Doom, Loki, Magneto and more.The question remains, what will be the cause of "the PULSE?" We will have to wait and see.

== TEASER ==

While we don't have a lot of information about the upcoming game at this time, we do have a very cool trailer that would get just about anyone excited to build their very own team of heroes to face off against some powerful super-villains. This all-new RPG game developed by Playdom will allow plays not only to command heroes, but to face head-to-head against some of the Marvel Universe's most nefarious villains. The game will be available to play exclusively on Facebook, and while it is not yet available, the first people to "like" the Facebook page will be the first to play this new RPG game.

What do you think of the trailer? Do you think that the premise for the game sounds interesting? Do you like to play games on Facebook?

Source: SuperheroHype

#1 Posted by ShadowX (1083 posts) - - Show Bio

Intresting. Might be the first facebook game I play consistently.

#2 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow this looks pretty nice to me!

#3 Posted by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio

Uhh... why is Magneto bad? Also, WHERE ARE X-MEN??

#4 Posted by Veidt (25 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be more than happy to give it a try!

#5 Edited by haydenclaireheroes (8755 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems like Dc Universe Online except for Marvel but this game is free. It should be an interesting game to play

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27379 posts) - - Show Bio

The trailer is pretty cool

#7 Posted by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't know. I've been tempted to play a few superhero and fantasy based games on Facebook BUT these damn things require a lot of your personal info for marketing and phishing purposes. So I don't do them, nor use apps or surveys.

Regardless, it is great that Marvel is getting involved with this area. Can't hurt promoting their own properties. It may be fun.

#8 Edited by WildStyle (331 posts) - - Show Bio

Now this looks cool. I can get behind this most definitely.

#9 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

This look very promising. This might be the first Facebook game i actually play more than once

#10 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio

@Edgeworth_11 said:

Hint:

Avengers Alliance.

#11 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto is probably bad because he is more recognized as a villain than a hero. People who do not read comics would probably be confused by seeing him play the role of a hero.

#12 Posted by sueesidale (22 posts) - - Show Bio

im so gonna play this lol

#13 Posted by JMLG (135 posts) - - Show Bio

funny how Black Widow suddenly is in every Avengers team while not so long ago nobody cared bout her.. #moviegimmick

#14 Edited by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

I so can't wait to play this

#15 Posted by Manchine (3679 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats a different approach.

#16 Posted by feargalr (1123 posts) - - Show Bio

AVENGERS MARKETING CAMPAIGN!!! Ya.. might check it out..

#17 Posted by sora_thekey (8107 posts) - - Show Bio

I am interested in trying the game out... Seems to me like it will function similarly to how Pokemon and older Final Fantasy games worked.

#18 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (511 posts) - - Show Bio

It's like Pokemon...but with Avengers...sure. I'll give it a try...the worst that can happen is that it spams my facebook with stuff. Whatevs.

#19 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

@Edgeworth_11: Because Magneto is evil...

#20 Posted by Nyo (49 posts) - - Show Bio

Weeeee! I can't wait for this :D

#21 Posted by cobra88king8 (323 posts) - - Show Bio

Dang, I swore off Facebook games a year ago, but this may just bring me back

#22 Posted by Omega-Man (756 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone notice Thor on the cover of the game is comic book Thor but in the game itself he's wearing his movie attire?

#23 Posted by StarKiller809 (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool. I don't really want to play it but I sure will be checking it out.

#24 Posted by thephantomstranger (129 posts) - - Show Bio

light rpg elements + franchise you know + zynga style social features = game I will never play because the light rpg elements are used for the purposes of monetizing a game instead of being good parts of gameplay...

#25 Posted by The Impersonator (4311 posts) - - Show Bio

I knew it. This is the reason why I joined Facebook. =P

#26 Posted by bunkerbuster05 (294 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll check it out, just because it's Marvel.

#27 Posted by BritishMonkey (309 posts) - - Show Bio

i'll give it a shot

#28 Posted by cmaprice (787 posts) - - Show Bio

@Omega-Man said:

Anyone notice Thor on the cover of the game is comic book Thor but in the game itself he's wearing his movie attire?

Yes. Same for Loki. At that, I'm surprised that in-game Whiplash is so comic-accurate.

#29 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

DAMN!!!

I hate Facebook...

#30 Posted by SexualLobster (995 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks pretty cool, kinda remicent of like.. Final Fantasy type battles.

#31 Posted by CATPANEXE (9366 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks cute. I never play social network games so I wouldn't know how all of this works.

#32 Posted by sparty-dbq (715 posts) - - Show Bio

Um... yay? I don't know, I've never played a game on Facebook, I have no idea what it entails.

BTW, isn't it ironic that the villains looming in the background have all turned over a slightly better leaf lately? Then again, I have no idea what's happened to Juggernaut since Fear Itself ended, so who knows where he lies.

#33 Posted by BlackArmor (6121 posts) - - Show Bio

@Edgeworth_11 said:

apparently marvel believes Wolverine is the X-men

#34 Posted by BlackArmor (6121 posts) - - Show Bio

@haydenclaireheroes said:

It seems like Dc Universe Online except for Marvel but this game is free. It should be an interesting game to play

DCUO is also free, you just have the option to pay

#35 Posted by leokearon (1707 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems nice, shame you can't play as the bad guys, that would be more fun

#36 Posted by SuperDoahBoy (122 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor: The difference between this and DCUO is that I'm pretty sure you will be able to play the Marvel game on just about any computer or laptop that can log onto facebook, but the same can't be said about DCUO.

#37 Edited by Archlord (140 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, I hate facebook games, because everyone there are like tools... but this might actually be nice to play.

@SuperDoahBoy: Not to mention... DCUO is like 13 GB download. That will take 2 weeks on my internet... I can't imagine those with dial up access badly wanting to play it. DC needs some more games like Justice League Heroes.

#38 Posted by Dork_Lord (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been playing Superhero City consistently for nearly two and a half years now, and have been satisfied with it. However, I may give this game a shot...

#39 Posted by Haganz (363 posts) - - Show Bio

No offense to anyone but since am not a fan of FB i don't think I'll be really trying this out. Its not that it looks bad, it looks awesome but on FB...yack i really hate that site with a passion.

#40 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8755 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor: Don't you have to pay for the cd for the game?

#41 Posted by BlackArmor (6121 posts) - - Show Bio

@haydenclaireheroes: No you can download it free on the playstation network I'm not even sure the disk is still in stores

#42 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Awww... and me, expecting an actual all-new Marvel Alliance game....sigh..

#43 Posted by clemj (817 posts) - - Show Bio

is Deadpool availiable?

#44 Edited by Archlord (140 posts) - - Show Bio

@haydenclaireheroes: If you talk about DC Universe Online, you can download it from Steam for free, like 13 GB. Better to buy the disk, I'd say.

@Haganz: Same. People there are tools, plain and simple. I tried to get my friends to stop using it, because the facebook staff are clearly on a quest to brainwash it's users.

#45 Posted by LordRequiem (1302 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he'll find the most powerful team of Avengers would consist of Iron Man, Wonder Man, Hulk, Thor, Ms. Marvel and Sentry. Or something to that effect, but it's only an advertisement, so I suppose I can let that one slide.

#46 Posted by tyson_trenchard (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Just started playing, People feel free to add me up

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.