Marvel NOW! New Avengers Roster and Premise

• 59 results
#1 Edited by Umbraa (915 posts) - - Show Bio
"Black Panther is the lynchpin character of New Avengers. The central character. He's very important to the Avengers franchise as a whole." - Tom Brevoort
"Black Panther is certainly the moral center of New Avengers." - Jonathan Hickman

"Avengers is the day book and New Avengers is night. Avengers is how we want the world to be, New Avengers is how it is. One book is about life, one is about death. The logos reflect all this." - Jonathan Hickman

"Do Black Panther and Namor get along? No. Do Namor and Beast get along? No. Do Iron Man and various characters have problems as things get revealed? Absolutely." - Jonathan Hickman

"I don't think people will be surprised to learn that even as these guys go about their job, some will grow to hate one another. This is not a cheery happy story. This is the 'Death Avengers.'" - Jonathan Hickman

Jonathan says he has been dropping New Avengers hints in Fantastic Four and FF with Black Panther, Black Bolt and Reed Richards stuff.

Captain America, Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Black Bolt, Namor, Black Panther, Mr. Fantastic and Beast so far, with more possibly.

#2 Posted by Moonchilde (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

This just looks like a tweaked Illuminati so far.

#3 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh. This team looks like it has purpose. I'm in.

#4 Posted by stormphoenix (898 posts) - - Show Bio

Namor can't be in the avengers I thought he supposed to be hunted down like the rest of the PF X men.

#5 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

I am also confused how Namor fits in here after all the AvX related fallout, as for Beast, I have no idea why he is here.

#6 Posted by Galactic_Man (158 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as T'Challa is here, I'm buying it - I wish HE was the leader of the New Avengers instead of Luke Cage.

#7 Posted by 3rdClawtotheleft (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Lukes not in the New Avengers any more in fact non of the old members cept Strange are in the "new" Avengers

#8 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Tchalla and Namor? That sounds like a complete disaster! I'm sold.

#9 Posted by Cap10nate (2156 posts) - - Show Bio

Really excited that Epting is the artist for this series. He is my favorite.

#10 Posted by Prodigy P (156 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like I finally found the Avengers title for my pull list.

#11 Posted by Twentyfive (2843 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait! Wish there'd've been a woman in the team though. Which woman in Marvel is Illuminati material? My favorite characters going in are Panther, and Beast. Let's hope they can remain my favorites.

#12 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

Can't wait! Wish there'd've been a woman in the team though. Which woman in Marvel is Illuminati material? My favorite characters going in are Panther, and Beast. Let's hope they can remain my favorites.

I agree and I think Agent Brand would be an epic addition to that team.

#13 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

This is basically the Illuminati but I like it and I think that this would be a really great book.

#14 Posted by Umbraa (915 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Quake director of SHIELD and maybe Agent Brand Director of Sword.

Listen, there's a room with two doors. Panther walks in one, Namor walks in the other.
You'd like to see what happens next, right? Well I know I did, so I wrote it.
It's some fierce, foreboding s***.

----Hickman

#15 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh I can't wait for this title. I love you, Mr. Hickman.

#16 Posted by Lvenger (18295 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn it why did this awesome title have to come out twice a month? If Superior Spider-Man comes out twice a month, I won't be able to get this :(

#17 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

Damn it why did this awesome title have to come out twice a month? If Superior Spider-Man comes out twice a month, I won't be able to get this :(

Say what now?

#18 Posted by Umbraa (915 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@Lvenger said:

Say what now?

The Slott's new Spiderman.

#19 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Umbraa said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@Lvenger said:

Say what now?

Oh, they're replacing Amazing with Superior?

#20 Posted by Umbraa (915 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@Umbraa said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@Lvenger said:

Say what now?

Not sure, but I'm guessing yes. Amazing ends with issue #700. Pete is moving into a new status quo. The guess is that it's "superior" because Slott is writing. We will find out next week at the NYCC on the 11th.

I'm guessing Pete will finally start flexing his genius more, or something..that that makes him 'superior' to his pre-Marvel NOW self. I loved Slott's spiderman...so its all good to me.

#21 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@Umbraa: nobody confirmed or infirmed that

#22 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Umbraa said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@Umbraa said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@Lvenger said:

Say what now?

Not sure, but I'm guessing yes. Amazing ends with issue #700. Pete is moving into a new status quo. The guess is that it's "superior" because Slott is writing. We will find out next week at the NYCC on the 11th.

I'm guessing Pete will finally start flexing his genius more, or something..that that makes him 'superior' to his pre-Marvel NOW self. I loved Slott's spiderman...so its all good to me.

Agreed, and it makes sense. Slott knows what he's doing with him, and Hickman wrote the character very well in FF- just the right balance of humor and brains. Huge step up from the jokey-idiot that Bendis wrote.

#23 Posted by Umbraa (915 posts) - - Show Bio

@theTimeStreamer said:

@Umbraa: nobody confirmed or infirmed that

What? Did I say that is was confirmed? I said "I'm guessing", "the guess", and "I'm guessing" again.

and "infirmed" what?

Anyhow there plenty speculation to suggest that it is indeed Spiderman and yes Amazing does end at issue #700, there is announcement for a huge title next year being announced at the NYCC. Superior is also going to be announced soon and Slott has been pretty open about the ending of Amazing and how he is excited for the new status quo for Spiderman in Marvel NOW.

Amazing Spider-Man #700 will be an over-sized issue, coming in at 104 pages, and will feature the requisite variant covers. I’m assuming here that the issue will be the end of writer Dan Slott‘s run on the series, which started on issue #648. Slott’s run has been a bit hit or miss for some readers, but has had numerous exciting stories, such as “Spider Island” and “Ends of the Earth.”

Yesterday the EIC of Marvel tied "Superior" to Spiderman! which is written by Slott. Sorry bro.

Alonso: I dunno. Could be Spidey’s about to get a superiority complex…?
#24 Posted by Lvenger (18295 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: @Umbraa: It might not even be called Superior Spider-Man. The Marvel Now! Thor teaser was Worthy but that didn't mean the title was called the Worthy Thor. Superior might point to something new in Spider-Man's status quo. A new suit or upgrade perhaps.

#25 Posted by WildStyle (331 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Panther being the central character is fantastic news. It'll be nice to see him have an important role in such a big book.

This group is really freaking powerful though. It makes you wonder what type of threats Hickman will be throwing at them. Namor and Blackbolt by themselves can handle a lot of threats.

#26 Posted by Umbraa (915 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure, X-force was called 'Killer". But right now I will call it superior until we find out the new name. But it's a status quo change for sure...he does get a new suit, as they did design one from Marvel NOW teaser.

I think it could be a upgrade, some are speculating that Doc Oct does something to him. I don't know, but I think it's going to be good.

#27 Posted by dmkicksballs13 (110 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't Captain America in Uncanny Avengers?

#28 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8736 posts) - - Show Bio

Namor and Reed Richards in the same team? yuk!

#29 Posted by Umbraa (915 posts) - - Show Bio

@dmkicksballs13 said:

Isn't Captain America in Uncanny Avengers?

Yeah, but with Cap he's the commander in charge of the Avengers, SHIELD and SWORD (he's ranked above directors). Though in both Uncanny and NEW, his role is going to be limited. He just became a member of Illuminati. Maybe he pass his role off to Quake (who Hickman wrote in Secret Warriors).

#30 Posted by soduh2 (865 posts) - - Show Bio

Namor is on a Team while Cyclops is locked up?

#31 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32675 posts) - - Show Bio

It bullsh!t that they keep hooking Fantastic Four and X-Men characters in to Avengers books

#32 Posted by photowill404 (105 posts) - - Show Bio

@soduh2 said:

i was just about to write this. How can the Avengers be so dead set on throwing Cyclops in jail for what he did as the Phoenix, and yet Namor who beat the hell out of the Avengers by himself as the Phoenix then proceeded to Flood Wakanda (which I'm sure killed a few hundred people) gets to join an Avengers team? I guess Captain America is looking out for his homies. (Since Cap and Namor go way to back to their Defender days). All I'm saying is that both Scott and Emma are locked up and Namor is an Avenger now?! it just doesnt make sense. Only good parts about this are that 1. Black Panther is going to be leading this team and 2. Black Panther and Namor might fight. (which would go very bad for Black Panther given Namor's superior strength).

#33 Edited by Skaddix (3109 posts) - - Show Bio

Please Cyke is not going to stay in jail. He will be out by the end of Consequences. Scott has 3 Followers. Although with more mutants now in existence he can recruit.

Namor on the other hand has 70% of the world to hide out in and a loyal army of Atlanteans to do his dirty work.

Also no not really. For One BP can prep and Wakanda already has a bioagent that cripples atlanteans. Not to mention he whipped up a mutant suppressors before while stuck in Hell's Kitchen and not having access to his usual supplies. Also Hickman gave him a powerup.

Besides Avengers is on the cover. This team is not going to be Shouting Avengers Assemble and they are not a public team.

I would totally take Brand over Beast.

#34 Posted by Umbraa (915 posts) - - Show Bio

@photowill404 said:

@soduh2 said:

i was just about to write this. How can the Avengers be so dead set on throwing Cyclops in jail for what he did as the Phoenix, and yet Namor who beat the hell out of the Avengers by himself as the Phoenix then proceeded to Flood Wakanda (which I'm sure killed a few hundred people) gets to join an Avengers team? I guess Captain America is looking out for his homies. (Since Cap and Namor go way to back to their Defender days). All I'm saying is that both Scott and Emma are locked up and Namor is an Avenger now?! it just doesnt make sense. Only good parts about this are that 1. Black Panther is going to be leading this team and 2. Black Panther and Namor might fight. (which would go very bad for Black Panther given Namor's superior strength).

Namor has Diplomatic Immunity. Scott doesn't. Utopia was never a sovereign nation. This isn't just a Avengers team. It's the Illuminati! Namor is already a member. He showed up when he was a part of the P5 to one of their meetings. Like Skaddix said, Scott will be free on a team with Magneto and Emma. Likely the team you see on Bendis All-New X-men covers.

T'challa has faced Namor before and was fine (every single time)...now he has a upgrade (the knowledge and strength of every black panther *ever*..10,000 years worth) and they will fight. So it could actually go pretty bad for Namor. If T'challa is even near him with strength, Namor is no where as smart or as skilled a fighter as T'challa.

This team was assembled to face a threat that was said to be far beyond the AvX/P5 threat. It's not like Uncanny Avengers or Avengers. It's a secret team. Besides the drama, they are putting that a side because of the massive threat.

#35 Posted by Galactic_Man (158 posts) - - Show Bio

@3rdClawtotheleft: I already know that none of the old members are in THIS New Avengers - I'm talking past tense. T'Challa should've led the New Avengers from the beginning.

#36 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm def. getting this book and add to my pull list !

#37 Posted by Umbraa (915 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

It bullsh!t that they keep hooking Fantastic Four and X-Men characters in to Avengers books

Namor was a Avenger WAY before he was a X-man. Mr. Fantastic was a Avenger for decades now. Beast has been a Avenger for decades now. The Avengers is the A-list, the best of the best.

While you might not like that Wolverine is one, at this point he's a Avenger and It's better that characters are used somewhere rather then limbo'd like numerous mutants have been. Cannonball and Sunspot didn't get a prolonged shot at being Uncanny X-men...so not they have skipped over that to the top, The Avengers. That's a good thing.

But as far as NEW Avengers goes, all of those characters were already Avengers and have been Avengers for some time now.

#38 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32675 posts) - - Show Bio

@Umbraa said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Namor was a Avenger WAY before he was a X-man. Mr. Fantastic was a Avenger for decades now. Beast has been a Avenger for decades now. The Avengers is the A-list, the best of the best.

While you might not like that Wolverine is one, at this point he's a Avenger and It's better that characters are used somewhere rather then limbo'd like numerous mutants have been. Cannonball and Sunspot didn't get a prolonged shot at being Uncanny X-men...so not they have skipped over that to the top, The Avengers. That's a good thing.

But as far as NEW Avengers goes, all of those characters were already Avengers and have been Avengers for some time now.

That doesn't make it better

#39 Posted by Umbraa (915 posts) - - Show Bio

@Galactic_Man said:

@3rdClawtotheleft: I already know that none of the old members are in THIS New Avengers - I'm talking past tense. T'Challa should've led the New Avengers from the beginning.

There are no leaders...Hickman said that most of them think they are in charge. But with T'challa on the team, he's going to be pulling the strings. His prep and plans they will not even see coming. He's the focus and star of the book though. Namor is going to get major shine too.

This team would kick the Uncanny X-men X-tinction team's ass.

#40 Posted by photowill404 (105 posts) - - Show Bio

@Umbraa said:

@photowill404 said:

@soduh2 said:

Namor has Diplomatic Immunity. Scott doesn't. Utopia was never a sovereign nation. This isn't just a Avengers team. It's the Illuminati! Namor is already a member. He showed up when he was a part of the P5 to one of their meetings. Like Skaddix said, Scott will be free on a team with Magneto and Emma. Likely the team you see on Bendis All-New X-men covers.

T'challa has faced Namor before and was fine (every single time)...now he has a upgrade (the knowledge and strength of every black panther *ever*..10,000 years worth) and they will fight. So it could actually go pretty bad for Namor. If T'challa is even near him with strength, Namor is no where as smart or as skilled a fighter as T'challa.

This team was assembled to face a threat that was said to be far beyond the AvX/P5 threat. It's not like Uncanny Avengers or Avengers. It's a secret team. Besides the drama, they are putting that a side because of the massive threat.

This isn't just a Avengers team. It's the Illuminati!

Good point was not even thinking about that. Makes sense now.

Namor has Diplomatic Immunity. Scott doesn't. Utopia was never a sovereign nation.

wasn't Utopia declared a nation during Dark Reign when Norman Osborn tried to invade it?

now he has a upgrade (the knowledge and strength of every black panther *ever*..10,000 years worth)

When was this? The last I remember he passed the mantle of Black Panther to his sister (and with it the powers that came with it) I could be wrong but last I recall Black Panther was just a regular guy now.

But you are a right, Namor while stronger he is no match for T'Challa mentally

#41 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@ photowill404 black panther got an upgrade in Fantastic 4 issue 607 & 608. so Umbraa is right.

#42 Posted by Veitha (2895 posts) - - Show Bio

Illuminati *______*

#43 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the only avengers title im looking foward to mostly because it's going to be a darker book AND this roster looks to have more meaningful characters in it.

Avengers is pretty much just a full on mainstream book with all the fan favorites. it'll be a book that the newer- younger demographic will pick up. But this New Avengers will be my kinda book. Im mean cmon Black Panther and Namor!? after the war that happened in the stupid AvX event that' gotta be good. and Beast looks to be a great addition to the book.

so far my Marvel Pull list will go like this:

- Hawkeye

- Ironman

- Venom

- Thunderbolts

- New Avengers

#44 Posted by XsPectre28 (714 posts) - - Show Bio

is that the new avengers or the new illuminati?

#45 Edited by Umbraa (915 posts) - - Show Bio

@photowill404 said:

@Umbraa said:

@photowill404 said:

@soduh2 said:

This isn't just a Avengers team. It's the Illuminati!

Good point was not even thinking about that. Makes sense now.

Namor has Diplomatic Immunity. Scott doesn't. Utopia was never a sovereign nation.

wasn't Utopia declared a nation during Dark Reign when Norman Osborn tried to invade it?

now he has a upgrade (the knowledge and strength of every black panther *ever*..10,000 years worth)

When was this? The last I remember he passed the mantle of Black Panther to his sister (and with it the powers that came with it) I could be wrong but last I recall Black Panther was just a regular guy now.

But you are a right, Namor while stronger he is no match for T'Challa mentally

Sorry so late for the response.

Sovereignty doesn't work that way. Norman Osborn allowed them to stay there, because it strategically kept the X-men out of his hair, after all the X-men are super heroes. So he just allowed them to stay. That doesn't give the Sovereignty; there was no approved treaty, or anything of that nature. In fact, Utopia is located in U.S territorial waters/geographic area which is under the authority of the U.S government.

About Black Panther, he's not a regular guy. Even without his powers he wasn't regular. That's like saying Batman is regular. In fact, he was High-Peak Human during David Liss run on the Black Panther; Man without Fear and also Most Dangerous Man Alive. In both of those he faced a Super Soldier without his HSH powers and was on par or even faster then he was, He faced the immortal Kraven and beat him pretty soundly the second time he faced him. Remember, this is a guy who has been bread by the Panther God. The entire Black Panther line run's 10,000 years strong...Unbroken.

In Fantastic Four 607-608 T'challa was upgraded into the King of the Dead. King of 10,000 years of Black Panthers and all after him. In that issue, according to Bast, he now has all the knowledge and all he *straight* of EVERY BLACK PANTHER EVER...10,000 years worth.

So no, I don't think Namor has a Advantage and if Hickman's hints are to be listened too, Namor will find out soon enough. Mentally, Physically and skill wise, T''challa is going to be a monster.

And Spiderman is indeed called the Superior Spiderman!

#46 Edited by Umbraa (915 posts) - - Show Bio

@XsPectre28 said:

is that the new avengers or the new illuminati?

Both...the new Illuminati is the NEW Avengers.

It also seems that T'challa is indeed the leader of the NEW Avengers/Illuminati.

Nrama: The Black Panther seems to play prominently in your covers. Was this a choice dictated by Jonathan and [editor] Tom Brevoort for a story reason, or did you just wind up gravitating towards him yourself?

Jock: Black Panther is leading the team, so it was a natural choice for him to be at the forefront of the image. I had an earlier version where Iron Man was front-and-center, but it was rightly pointed out that might be confusing. So it's essentially a story-led decision, making it clear what the dynamics of our new team are.
Nrama: On two of the covers we’ve seen the characters you can make out seem to be facing forward, while the Black Panther seems to be turning his head looking toward the reader? Do we see that correctly?

Jock: Yes. Design wise, I wanted to show Black Panther as the leader, so having him stand 'against the flow' was one way of doing this. I love using subtle design ideas like that, things that you might not take in directly, but you'll sense in the design.
#47 Posted by Perfect 10 (972 posts) - - Show Bio

@stormphoenix: the avengers protect their own. its an avengers universe, we just live in it

#48 Posted by Perfect 10 (972 posts) - - Show Bio

there was nothing wrong with the previous new avengers team. no more luke cage or iron fist or mocking bird or jessica jones. not really into an all male book, will check out the frst issue for dr. strange but most likely wont be sticking around. with all the women out there you:d think they could think of ONE that could be on this team. invisible woman perhaps?

#49 Posted by SUNMAN (7141 posts) - - Show Bio

BP and Namor on the same team still doesn't work

#50 Posted by Perfect 10 (972 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive: it would have to be scientist and there arent many female heros who are scientists if any from marvel that i could think of. there is the wasp and invisible woman but they learned on the job so to speak and dont have any degrees in any scientific field.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.