MARVEL NOW Avengers title is it good?

#1 Edited by Squalleon (4610 posts) - - Show Bio

I am talking about the Hickman title.I saw some reviews and most of them are between 3-4 stars

i was thinking of buying the first volume should i?

i have read the 1 issue and i loved it

#2 Edited by montydapunk.k (65 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe you are talking about Avengers the core title, you should read it only only if you have been following Avengers for the last 10 years, as there are no character details and even though the plot relates to incidents on a grand level, there are times when the comic reaches levels of complete incomprehensibility. I would instead recommend Uncanny Avengers to you.

#3 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6178 posts) - - Show Bio

I read one it was good

#4 Posted by Oscars94 (2519 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it :D The new members are cool.

#5 Edited by Arkhamc1tizen (2145 posts) - - Show Bio

yes

#6 Edited by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah sure it's fun overall, bit up and down at points though.

#7 Posted by HumanRocket (8174 posts) - - Show Bio

Plain and simple it's good. Don't base whether or not you read a comic just off the reviews remember everyone has a different opinion so you may love something that someone else doesn't

#8 Posted by Z3RO180 (6552 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah it's a good read.

#9 Edited by Teerack (6359 posts) - - Show Bio

The broken universe story is starting to drag on for me. Seems to be a trend in marvel now to have one huge ongoing story that never ends. -_-

#10 Posted by kingjoeg (693 posts) - - Show Bio

It's good but not great, the first 12 issues are all build up. So if you don't mind reading 12 expository issues then go for it.

#11 Edited by t3hLomb (55 posts) - - Show Bio

If you were into issue 1 then you'll enjoy the rest of it.

#12 Posted by God_Spawn (37895 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe you are talking about Avengers the core title, you should read it only only if you have been following Avengers for the last 10 years, as there are no character details and even though the plot relates to incidents on a grand level, there are times when the comic reaches levels of complete incomprehensibility. I would instead recommend Uncanny Avengers to you.

I second this notion. I haven't read much of UA myself, but I've looked through some issues at the shop and to me it's at least gotten a lot better than where it started at. Hickman's core title is just dragged out and I don't feel like anything has really come of it. I'll agree with the others saying the new cast is pretty cool. I do like the new Hyperion and watching Carol Danvers fastball special Hulk was kind of cool.

#13 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

It sucks.

#14 Posted by NightHaunter (111 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoy it so I would recommend. At no point did I find it 'incomprehensible'.

I do agree that it is let down by not introducing the characters or fleshing them out, outside the new additions. I think you would enjoy it more if you had a nice bit of reading done that involved the characters.

#15 Edited by TheGwailo (42 posts) - - Show Bio

It's good, but like everyone else has explained, a little character background is a good thing to have before hand. Uncanny Avengers and New Avengers are also good books, and with Infinity coming around in August, Avengers and New Avengers will be the two main tie-in books. Just jump on board and read away! Avengers #11 is actually a solid starting point.

#16 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2145 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes

#17 Posted by gregroyj42 (56 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: I feel the same way. I was new to Avengers as a team and was lost. I read 4 issues and dropped however I fell in love with New Avengers. That book gives history and information to catch you up on who and what you are reading about. I also enjoy that New Avengers is focused on less used heroes. The big names are still there but they are in the background. It allows focus on Black Panther, Black Bolt, Namor, and Dr. strange.

#18 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

It sucks.

Basically sums it up. Too much ambition and no delivery. It's just boring.

#19 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11621 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

It sucks.

Basically sums it up. Too much ambition and no delivery. It's just boring.

I third this!

However, New Avengers is just smashing!

#20 Edited by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee: I read the first issue and was actually impressed! Might pick it up in a trade!

#21 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm enjoying it at the moment.

#22 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (11621 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget: It's the COMPLETE opposite of Avengers. I'm barely holding on to Avengers while I can't wait for each issue of New Avengers. And they're also opposites in terms of tone. Avengers is about "creation" while New Avengers is about "destruction." I recommend the trade when it comes out.

#23 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee: So I've heard! I don't know why I still bother with Hickman's Avengers. Possibly because I wait for whatever "status quo" may erupt as it's one of the "lead" titles in Marvel NOW!

#24 Posted by TDK_1997 (14896 posts) - - Show Bio

It sucks a lot but #11 was average.At times I was laughing my guts out but it still doesn't feel much of an Avengers book.

#25 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

New Avengers. That book is fantastic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.