Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7701 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Last Big Avengers story that didn't involve the Marvel U?

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Has there been a big Avengers story in recent years that hasn't involve the whole Marvel universe? By big Avengers story I'm talking about as big as the X-Men have been getting in recent years like Battle of the Atom or Schism or the Messiah Complex trilogy. Has there been a story that was just about the Avengers taking on a big threat and not involving anyone else in recent years? If there is let me know. I feel like any big story involving the Avengers these days is just one of Marvel's crossover events that will change the status quo for the Marvel universe. It doesn't matter which Avengers team it is, I just want to know if the Avengers have had any big story in recent years.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

@saoakden said:

Has there been a big Avengers story in recent years that hasn't involve the whole Marvel universe? By big Avengers story I'm talking about as big as the X-Men have been getting in recent years like Battle of the Atom or Schism or the Messiah Complex trilogy. Has there been a story that was just about the Avengers taking on a big threat and not involving anyone else in recent years? If there is let me know. I feel like any big story involving the Avengers these days is just one of Marvel's crossover events that will change the status quo for the Marvel universe. It doesn't matter which Avengers team it is, I just want to know if the Avengers have had any big story in recent years.

I think that's what Hickman's doing in Avengers and Infinity right now? but I'm only reading New and Uncanny Avengers, so I'm not sure.

Thing is, if it's big enough to effect the Avengers in a big way, that kinda means that it should have some effect on the rest of the MU. The idea that the Avengers live in a shared universe is kind of what they've got. It is the concept and theme of the team.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By saoakden

@oldnightcrawler: I'm also reading Uncanny Avengers as well. I'm behind on the main Avengers book and New Avengers so I don't know. The more I think about is it possible Infinity is like Blackest Night. The story coming out of what's been going on with one of the ongoing series?

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saoakden: I never read Blackest Night, but as far as I can tell (having read the first 16 issues of Avengers), Avengers has been leading up to Infinity ever since it relaunched, and crossing over with it since it started. I haven't been interested enough to bother keeping up with either though.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@saoakden: Well Infinity is their newest big event but it's really an Avengers focused story anything that's really tying in is either Avengers or Cosmic related :/ It's really just a crossover between Avengers and New Avengers and the main Infinity mini series. NA and Avengers have been building up to this since the start of Marvel Now though this is pretty much like the Avengers version of Battle of the Atom.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By saoakden

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: It is huh? I am super behind on Avengers and New Avengers so it's good to know that Infinity is more focused on the Avengers. Hopefully the next big Avengers stories just has the Avengers titles involved and nothing else. & I'm talking about just involving the team books!

@oldnightcrawler: I think Rick Remender said sometime down the line, there would be a big story involving Red Skull having access to Onslaught's Powers. So I guess we can look forward to that.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saoakden said:

@oldnightcrawler: I think Rick Remender said sometime down the line, there would be a big story involving Red Skull having access to Onslaught's Powers. So I guess we can look forward to that.

Yeah, in Uncanny Avengers. But how are the Avengers going to fight Onslaught without any telepaths?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saoakden: Well it's a really good story I highly reccomend it but I really suggest catching up on Avengers and New Avengers before going into the event.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: I think I will. I read Hickman's first issue of Avengers and I liked it. Also read his first issue on New Avengers, and I liked it too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saoakden: Yeah I've loved his run so far and can't wait to see what he has in store for us next.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

nice

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Cap10nate

I'm struggling to think of a major Avengers storyline not involving the rest of the Marvel U since the Kang Dynasty in 2001-2002 (which is funny since it is the one storyline that should have probably involved all the other books).

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: I have to admit I'm getting really excited for Infinity and Hickman's run on the Avengers. I've been looking at some preview pages and some guy I'm in the same group with posted the first issue of Infinity and the issue looks great. I do hope whatever big plans Hickman has in store, the next big story doesn't require tie ins from other books like Thunderbolts or Nova. Just keep it within the pages of the Avengers or just have it like the Battle of the Atom or Second Coming or Minimum Carnage. A few issues being the name of the event, then having the Avengers issues being part of the main event. It could be like this: Avengers Event 1, Avengers, New Avengers, Avengers, Avengers Event 2, Avengers, New Avengers, Avengers Event 3. That is if only Hickman's Avengers are involved and assuming they still double ship Avengers after December. Who knows. Might be interesting.

@the_titan_lord: What's nice?

@cap10nate: What happen in that story?

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@saoakden: Kang conquers the world and has control for a couple months before the Avengers are able to mount an offensive. It's my favorite Avengers story and is usually considered one of the best when people do best of lists. One of the big knocks on it though is that there was no cross over to any other titles save for a few minor ones and that it had no lasting impact. It was the final story of Busiek's run and it was never mentioned again in the Marvel U even though the entire world was conquered and all of Washington DC was destroyed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saoakden said:

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: I have to admit I'm getting really excited for Infinity and Hickman's run on the Avengers. I've been looking at some preview pages and some guy I'm in the same group with posted the first issue of Infinity and the issue looks great. I do hope whatever big plans Hickman has in store, the next big story doesn't require tie ins from other books like Thunderbolts or Nova. Just keep it within the pages of the Avengers or just have it like the Battle of the Atom or Second Coming or Minimum Carnage. A few issues being the name of the event, then having the Avengers issues being part of the main event. It could be like this: Avengers Event 1, Avengers, New Avengers, Avengers, Avengers Event 2, Avengers, New Avengers, Avengers Event 3. That is if only Hickman's Avengers are involved and assuming they still double ship Avengers after December. Who knows. Might be interesting.

Infinity is incredible Marvel hasn't done an event this good in a couple of years it's so huge and epic I love it. Hickman's Avengers run is one of the best I've ever read up their with Bendis, Busiek, Stern etc... That's a good idea but I understand why their doing so many tie ins but the tie ins should just be all the Avengers titles at the most or like you said do a crossover with Avengers and NA. It seems that The Avengers title is not double shipping for November or December.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: It's good to know Infinity is a good story. I would like to see a crossover that just deals with the Avengers books. It would be great if it was Avengers and New Avengers doing a crossover for few months if both titles are shipping once a month. If that was the case then I say the event or crossover should be like: Avengers Event Issue 1, Avengers, New Avengers, Avengers, New Avengers, Avengers Event Issue 2. I would like to add other Avengers books but I believe they're all caught up in their own stories at the moment. I would like to see this kind of story in the future. Not in January though. Maybe next summer or fall. Now I think about it, when do the Avengers turn 50 or are they already 50 years old?

@cap10nate: Sounds like they should have other books tie-in. I thought of one! Spider-Man tie-in to Kang Dynasty, Spidey goes to confront Kang with the Avengers! Spoiler alert, someone might get some web shot in their face (Hint, Hint: Kang gets web in his face). Sounds like an interesting story, I have to check out Kang Dynasty.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saoakden: They turned 50 this year and Infinity is to celebrate that anniversary if I'm not mistaken, That's a very good idea I do think it should just be crossovers but they get more money with an event mini.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: Dang the Avengers are old. I wasn't sure if Marvel was doing anything special for the Avengers. I don't recall seeing anywhere saying Infinity was their 50th anniversary story. Then again, I might have missed it. I know Marvel has been releasing 50th anniversary covers for the Avengers, I wasn't sure if they were doing a 50th anniversary story like they did for Spider-Man and the X-Men & I think Fantastic Four.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saoakden: Well this month marks their 50th anniversary, just like it's the same for X-men, They're celebrating it with Battle of the Atom while the Avengers are celebrating it with Infinity it was said along time ago a bit after it was announced an interviews were being made.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: Good to know. I was recently on amazon looking around to see when certain trades would come out and I saw the hardcover for Infinity on there. Apparently the book is going to be a huge trade. Its suppose to have Infinity 1-6, Avengers 12-23, New Avengers 7-12, Infinity Infinite Comic 1-2. Comes out in February 2014, suppose to have 608 pages, and its going to cost $75 at stores but amazon is having it for $53 at the moment. I figure it was going to have the main event but it looks like its going to have the main event and any of Hickman's Avengers issues having to do with Infinity.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saoakden: Yep that's a great way to get the event you could also get the first vol of New Avengers collecting issues 1-6 and the first 2 volumes of Avengers collecting 1-6 and 7-11. Well Infinity Against the Tide isn't written by Hickman it's written by Jason Latuor and it's about Silver Surfer it's not very important but it's very good. But Infinity 1-6, NA 9-11 and Avengers 18-23 are all written by Hickman and make up the entire 15 issue crossover, Avengers 12-17 and NA 7-8 are just a prologue to the event and NA issue 12 is just an epilogue.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: Good to know. I'm surprised that Marvel is releasing Infinity in such a big book. Even though they are releasing Avengers vol 3 and 4 containing the issues leading up to Infinity and tie-in to the event. It sounds like Marvel is doing what DC is doing with their crossovers. Collecting the crossover in one book and in another book collecting certain issues with the rest of its series. Like what did they did with Night of the Owls and the Culling I think.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saoakden: Yep it saves us money in the long run too.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saoakden: It's cheaper to get one big collection than get the individual issues/trade paper backs in the long run

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: That is true. Although DC kinda suckers me into buying both the book that has the event or crossover, whatever its called and the trade that holds the ongoing series. I bought Night of the Owls hardcover and Batman vol 2. I bought the Night of the Owls because at the time I though DC was going have all the the issues involved with the crossover in one book and when they release vol 2 of another book like Nightwing, I figure the issues wouldn't be in the book. Although the way DC does their trades, its nice but weird especially with Superboy I think. I looked at vol 2 and it was weird reading issue 9, The Culling, to him and Wonder Girl being on an island in the following issue. Feels like I missed somethings. I buy both books because I want read the event in one book but I also want to read the following issues. Although I wish in the future they rerelease Batman vol 1 & 2 as one trade so we can read the whole Court of Owls story in one book. I also wish they do that Thor: God of Thunder and other books but hey that's just me. When a story is long enough to be divided into two trades, I wish at some point they put both trades as one book.

Still I'm surprised Marvel is doing what DC is doing with trades. Sometime soon, I'll get my hands on Hickman's Avengers in the trades, hopefully they release Vol 1 & 2 as one big hardcover. Marvel is been doing it with other titles so why not Avengers. Also I hope they do this with other books like All-New X-Men.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saoakden said:

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: That is true. Although DC kinda suckers me into buying both the book that has the event or crossover, whatever its called and the trade that holds the ongoing series. I bought Night of the Owls hardcover and Batman vol 2. I bought the Night of the Owls because at the time I though DC was going have all the the issues involved with the crossover in one book and when they release vol 2 of another book like Nightwing, I figure the issues wouldn't be in the book. Although the way DC does their trades, its nice but weird especially with Superboy I think. I looked at vol 2 and it was weird reading issue 9, The Culling, to him and Wonder Girl being on an island in the following issue. Feels like I missed somethings. I buy both books because I want read the event in one book but I also want to read the following issues. Although I wish in the future they rerelease Batman vol 1 & 2 as one trade so we can read the whole Court of Owls story in one book. I also wish they do that Thor: God of Thunder and other books but hey that's just me. When a story is long enough to be divided into two trades, I wish at some point they put both trades as one book.

Still I'm surprised Marvel is doing what DC is doing with trades. Sometime soon, I'll get my hands on Hickman's Avengers in the trades, hopefully they release Vol 1 & 2 as one big hardcover. Marvel is been doing it with other titles so why not Avengers. Also I hope they do this with other books like All-New X-Men.

@saoakden said:

I'm sure Marvel will start doing that since a while after they release a couple of trades they usually release a Premiere Hardcover containing the first 12 issues of the book.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By saoakden

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: Let's hope so! I play the facebook game Avengers Alliance and they have this limited time mission based on the Infinity story. If players finish 25 tasks, they get a code that would allow them to download the first issue of Infinity for free. I just got my code and I'm going to download the issue and read it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Infinity was originally mean't to be just Avengers and New Avengers

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: The first issue of Infinity was awesome. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the event.

@grenadeflow: So the story was going to take place in the ongoing series?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GrenadeFlow
    Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By Spideysense44

Infinity 4 (:

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.