Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7703 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Is Wolverine redundant to the team

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

When Wolverine was brought to the team he was basically the trigger man to pull the deed the other members couldn't. But now that Marvel has established their heroes are capable of killing what use does Wolverine have to the team other than he's a big name that sells. He has very little leadership, gets KO'd more times than Scarlet Witch, screws up a mission for constantly going solo, and has little control over his bloodlust. I say this with enthusiasm that Wolverine needs to be exiled from the Avengers for good.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By tg1982

When Wolverine was brought to the team he was basically the trigger man to pull the deed the other members couldn't. But now that Marvel has established their heroes are capable of killing what use does Wolverine have to the team other than he's a big name that sells. He has very little leadership, gets KO'd more times than Scarlet Witch, screws up a mission for constantly going solo, and has little control over his bloodlust. I say this with enthusiasm that Wolverine needs to be exiled from the Avengers for good.

That's probably the reason right there. I personally like Wolverine, but sometimes it does get tiring seeing him in every book out there.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Wolverine has the extra mutant ability to make any comic he's in sell more regardless of quality

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I can live with Wolverine because Hickman's run is all about 'getting bigger' apparently.

That being said, I prefer Wolverine and Spider-Man out of the Avengers, and in their own separate properties.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I can live with Wolverine because Hickman's run is all about 'getting bigger' apparently.

That being said, I prefer Wolverine and Spider-Man out of the Avengers, and in their own separate properties.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is not necessary but then again who is? But he does help sales!

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I don't know if he's redundant, but I prefer him on the Avengers rather than the X-Men.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By oldnightcrawler

To me, the only way a character can be redundant is if they are too much like another character in the story. At first I thought having Hyperion on the same team as Thor would be redundant, but a quick case was made for establishing that it's really their personalities that make each Avenger really distinct.

If a character fills too many of the same roles within the group dynamic as another character, then they would be redundant; in the case of Wolverine being in the Avengers, that has never happened.

He may not be the best leader, but he has more experience with it than most Avengers; and how much leadership does the Avengers need? I can't think of any mission he's screwed up by going solo; and if anything he's become far less violent and unpredictable since joining the Avengers. He's definitely far from their least stable member, and far from the least skilled, experienced, or powerful. And, more to the point, he brings a unique personality, history, and perspective to the team.

Besides, he's really only in one (of many) Avengers books, Uncanny Avengers; so, even though that might be the best Avengers book out right now, it's not like Avengers fans don't have lots of other books to choose from to read Avengers stories without him.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tigerkaya

@war_killer: why do you like him on the Avengers over the X-men?

@tigerkaya said:

To me, the only way a character can be redundant is if they are too much like another character in the story. At first I thought having Hyperion on the same team as Thor would be redundant, but a quick case was made for establishing that it's really their personalities that make each Avenger really distinct.

If a character fills too many of the same roles within the group dynamic as another character, then they would be redundant; in the case of Wolverine being in the Avengers, that has never happened.

He may not be the best leader, but he has more experience with it than most Avengers; and how much leadership does the Avengers need? I can't think of any mission he's screwed up by going solo; and if anything he's become far less violent and unpredictable since joining the Avengers. He's definitely far from their least stable member, and far from the least skilled, experienced, or powerful. And, more to the point, he brings a unique personality, history, and perspective to the team.

Besides, he's really only in one (of many) Avengers books, Uncanny Avengers; so, even though that might be the best Avengers book out right now, it's not like Avengers fans don't have lots of other books to choose from to read Avengers stories without him.

I brought in the leader part since Marvel seems to be forcing the idea Wolverine has always been a good leader when in reality he's the worse. Come now Wolverine tried to kill Wiccan, Hope, and Hank without so much as acknowledging them if its a good idea. I don't question his experience no doubt but as a member he's proven to be pointless since his entire schtick on the team was to pull the trigger the other members didn't have the heart to to do. With that element taken away Wolverine is nothing more than wallpaper even in Uncanny Avengers.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I brought in the leader part since Marvel seems to be forcing the idea Wolverine has always been a good leader when in reality he's the worse. Come now Wolverine tried to kill Wiccan, Hope, and Hank without so much as acknowledging them if its a good idea. I don't question his experience no doubt but as a member he's proven to be pointless since his entire schtick on the team was to pull the trigger the other members didn't have the heart to to do. With that element taken away Wolverine is nothing more than wallpaper even in Uncanny Avengers.

I disagree that that is or was Wolverine's entire "schtick", so I disagree that he's pointless; he's probably one of the most fleshed out characters to ever join the Avengers.

That said, I'm sure I'd probably be just as interested in seeing the Uncanny Avengers without him (maybe with the Beast instead?), but he's definitely pretty central to the story that's going on in the book right now (due to his character history, which is especially distinct among the Avengers), and to me, that's the main thing.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#13  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@war_killer: why do you like him on the Avengers over the X-men?

I've just always preferred the Avengers over the X-Men.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.