Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7704 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Is this recent Hickman run worth reading?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
    deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'm thinking about reading it because of the art, is it worth 4$ per pop? If so where should I start?

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I would suggest since i've loved it so far. I would start from issue 1 and go to 17 then just get the Infinity mini series (6 issues long its currently going on) and once it finishes jump back on with issue 24.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yup. Also get the current Infinity event too that leads of Hickman's Avengers. I'd start with issue number 1.

lolzstastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HaveAtThee

Nope. Lots of big ideas, but not a whole lot in terms of plot advancement and character depth.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Yes but u have to start off from issue 1 to get into Infinity. Go on ebay look for th digital codes that are $1-$2 and save urself money to get all the issues.

E1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could get trades, no ?

The first Arc (first 3 issues) has the best art and gives you the tone of the run. His run is completely different from the Bendis' New avengers (Breakout, Sentry etc...). It's full of obscure, huge, cosmic and mysterious stuff. I would recommend it, not at 4$ an issue now, in trades on Amazon;

Chapmar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Chapmar

I only read the first 3 issues and I have to say, it did not grab me at all. I love Hickman, great story teller, great writer, especially at his big high concept sci-fi stories, his Fantastic Four was incredible and his image work is crazy good, but this just did not grab me in any way. There really seems to be Zero character in the book, unless this changes later on but not from what I have heard.

In fact it seems more akin to the Justice League with its over powered members (Hyperion, Captain Universe) that have just been brought in to forward the story rather than being an organic evolution of the Avengers.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

#9  Edited By knighthood

@gor724:

@chapmar said:

I only read the first 3 issues and I have to say, it did not grab me at all. I love Hickman, great story teller, great writer, especially at his big high concept sci-fi stories, his Fantastic Four was incredible and his image work is crazy good, but this just did not grab me in any way. There really seems to be Zero character in the book, unless this changes later on but not from what I have heard.

In fact it seems more akin to the Justice League with its over powered members (Hyperion, Captain Universe) that have just been brought in to forward the story rather than being an organic evolution of the Avengers.

There is much criticism for this book, but I really enjoy it. I feel Hickman's books are better after reading them a second time. Like chapmar, I read the first three issues originally and wasn't impressed, but after reading those books again my perspective changed significantly.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Blackdog2009

Compared to Bendis' decades shitt fest, it's a breath of fresh air. Good art, great concepts but often cluttered, but not too bad that you won't enjoy it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

It depends. This run has been relatively high-concept (it's Hickman), so if that's not something you like then it's likely not something for you.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've collected all of Hickman's Avengers run. I feel like his style of writing was worth it as I read Infinity (and some New Avengers along with it). It's expensive but boy was it fun to read! Cool new characters, great art, an epic story.

RedRoomWriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends, if you are fan of Cosmic and JLA by all means you'll love what Hickmans doing.

If not don't even bother you'll just get angry at the book and drop it like a hot pan.

If a classic Avengers feel is more your thing Avengers Assemble is the better book, definatley read the Kelly Sue Deconnick ones, she puts a lot of time and effort into giving good characterisations and I'd love to see her get a crack at a main title instead of the supposed "tie in/spin off" book.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It reads a lot better in trades........

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

nope. I quit through issue 2.

Dm225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couple of quick questions to add to the conversations.

1. Would this be considered the main Avengers title going foward after Infinity?

2. Is it going to be necesarry to read all three of Hickman's Avengers titles, with the addition of Avengers World, without being lost?

I don't have a huge amount of money to go towards my pull list each month so I tend to only get the main titles for the characters I like. For example I get Justice League but not Justice League of America or Justice League Dark unless they directly crossover. Same thing with Green Lantern in that I follow just the main Green Lantern title and only pick up the other ones when there's a direct crossover. However with so many Avengers titles it can be hard to determine which is the main one and which is "required reading".

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

The run from the beginning is pretty pointless until you reach the point where it all ties to Infinity when it all starts to make sense.But until that things are pretty pointless and boring.They continue to be boring even after that but at least they are not pointless.The story only gets good in Infinity and in New Avengers.The main Avengers series gets only the boring part of the event.

Mxyzptlk_CV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. Lots of big ideas, but not a whole lot in terms of plot advancement and character depth.

This...still it's better than bendis's run but that isn't saying a lot...

SeriousBizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've enjoyed it. I've been reading both Avengers and New Avengers along with a friend and we've enjoyed researching all the obscure threads Hickman has begun sewing into his Avengers story. It's definitely a slow build, but some of the issues are still really enjoyable (the Spencer collaborations stand out to me) and I at least keep telling myself, its Hickman; I was completely prepared for a couple year build on this story, as JH intimated before he started.

The addition of the Avengers World title might advance the storyline a bit faster for a while; some might be bothered by that but I've enjoyed what Nick Spencer has contributed to the Avengers so far so I'll probably be staying on.

Many might disagree but these books are still on my pull list for a specific type of Avengers moments, some of which I would say have started to pay off in Infinity, long awaited though they may be.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.