Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7701 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Is Hickman writing the Avengers a good thing?

• 70 results
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Lvenger

Recently I added Fantastic Four to my pull list. This was due to all the buzz and reviews I've read about Hickman's run on Marvel's first family. Unfortunately it seems I've joined the party too late as according to various rumours, Hickman is leaving the FF family and moving onto the Avengers. Apparently replacing him on Fantastic Four will be Matt Fraction and I have no intention of spending any money on Fraction based on his current writing standards. So anyway I'm considering replacing Fantastic Four with the Avengers once Hickman leaves Fantastic Four. But what about you guys? Do you think Hickman being the new Avengers writer is a good or bad thing?

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 35

#2  Edited By Deadcool

He writes the Ultimates, and he has a done pretty run there so far, in my opinion, he is one of the best things that would happen in the Avengers in ages.

I am a GREAT fan of Hickman, his stuff has everything I always want in a comicbook.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By dernman

I started noticing Hickman because of Fantastic Four and since then noticed a few of his other works. I have noticed one thing. He is a very go big or go home writer. If anything you will get big story.

coolguyr99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By coolguyr99

Well this is a sad day as I find his work on Ultimates incredibly boring.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I love Hickman, I have every issue of his independent work at Image and I also love his Fantastic Four HOWEVER I don't want him on Avengers, Hickman excells at righting crazy dimension hopping sci-fi storys and that is exactly what Fantastic Four for a Marvel Cosmic book should be like but it is not what the Avengers should be like. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

@Deadcool said:

He writes the Ultimates, and he has a done pretty run there so far, in my opinion, he is one of the best things that would happen in the Avengers in ages.

I am a GREAT fan of Hickman, his stuff has everything I always want in a comicbook.

^^this

jubeiyagyuX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By jubeiyagyuX

I think it would work.Hickman is really good at crazy,cosmic science but he also "gets" the characters.Example would be Panther in AvX #6 and FF last week.He would make the book more about the characters as opposed to Bendis' desperate avengers-wives BS.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lvenger

@Deadcool said:

I'd forgotten that Hickman writes the Ultimates. Another sign that he'll be used to working with the Avengers.

@jubeiyagyuX said:

I think it would work.Hickman is really good at crazy,cosmic science but he also "gets" the characters.Example would be Panther in AvX #6 and FF last week.He would make the book more about the characters as opposed to Bendis' desperate avengers-wives BS.

Totally agree with this. A lot of writers can do one of these things but Hickman is able to do both superbly.

@spiderbat87 said:

I love Hickman, I have every issue of his independent work at Image and I also love his Fantastic Four HOWEVER I don't want him on Avengers, Hickman excells at righting crazy dimension hopping sci-fi storys and that is exactly what Fantastic Four for a Marvel Cosmic book should be like but it is not what the Avengers should be like.

Hickman might not take that route all the time. Given his work on the Ultimates, he might be up for writing more grounded threats for the Avengers to face. In any case, I fear the 'crazy dimension hopping sci fi stories' you mentioned may lose their charm once Fraction starts writing the book.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Funrush

Am I the only one who hasn't heard about him writing the Avengers? Anyway, sweet! Time to consider picking up the Avengers in single issues instead of TPB.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By danhimself

I'm excited....he's done an amazing job with Fantastic Four and S.H.I.E.L.D. is one of the most in depth stories ever....with what he's been doing he's been basically rewriting the history of the Marvel Universe without anyone ever noticing....with him on the Avengers he'll have pretty much ultimate control over all of Marvel and I think we'll see more of his S.H.I.E.L.D. stuff leaking into the present day Marvel Universe

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Lvenger said:

I love Hickman, I have every issue of his independent work at Image and I also love his Fantastic Four HOWEVER I don't want him on Avengers, Hickman excells at righting crazy dimension hopping sci-fi storys and that is exactly what Fantastic Four for a Marvel Cosmic book should be like but it is not what the Avengers should be like.

Hickman might not take that route all the time. Given his work on the Ultimates, he might be up for writing more grounded threats for the Avengers to face. In any case, I fear the 'crazy dimension hopping sci fi stories' you mentioned may lose their charm once Fraction starts writing the book.

His Ultimates wasn't grounded in the least, he brought crazy floating science citys and high concepts to a universe that was set up to be realistic and modern 
    Avatar image for capelesscrusader
    capelesscrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12  Edited By capelesscrusader

@spiderbat87: Hickman doesn't just excel at cosmic-type work. His breakout, after all, was "The Nightly News", which is anything but cosmic.

Personally, I can't wait. Haven't been a regular Avengers reader since the days of West Coast Avengers, but I will be checking in to read his work on Avengers.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @capelesscrusader said:

@spiderbat87: Hickman doesn't just excel at cosmic-type work. His breakout, after all, was "The Nightly News", which is anything but cosmic.

Personally, I can't wait. Haven't been a regular Avengers reader since the days of West Coast Avengers, but I will be checking in to read his work on Avengers.

Yea but it was still crazy high concept and that's not something the Avengers will benefit from. Slott is a better choice IMO
    capelesscrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By capelesscrusader

@spiderbat87: Oh, definitely high-concept, but that's something I think that the book could use. As I say, I haven't been buying regularly, largely because I haven't really enjoyed the Bendis talking heads when I have picked it up to look at what's going on.

Hickman has shown that he has a knack for writing stories that are plot-driven, but still have very complete characters. I have been reading his FF run, and I feel that this is even stronger when he's drawing on established characters' canon, and has the great "feedback" effect, where the known attributes of characters inform what he wants to do with story.

Don't get me wrong, I think Slott would be great, but given the extremely high profile of Avengers right now, doing something suitably epic and high-concept might be just what's needed for the book to capitalize on the buzz from the film.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @capelesscrusader: My other great beef is if Hickman is in fact going to Avengers then Bendis going to the X-Men must also be true and with the amount of crap Marvel has been doing to the X-Men theses days really wouldn't surprises me 
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lvenger

@spiderbat87: Ah my bad. Forgive my fumble on the Ultimates. And to add to the amount of crap Marvel is doing, Hickman is being replaced by Fraction on Fantastic Four. Given that I haven't enjoyed what he's done with two of my other favourite Marvel characters, Thor and Iron Man, I'll be dropping Fantastic Four once Hickman leaves. Fraction won't be getting any of my money! But anyway given that Hickman's stories tend to consist of brilliant plots, fantastic storylines and interesting characters, I hope that Hickman will keep that going into the Avengers which I'll pick up once Hickman starts writing.

capelesscrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By capelesscrusader

Not to be a disagreeing Dan, but maybe X-Men could benefit from a little time with talking heads. It might create some opportunities to have Cyclops say something new, as opposed to the religious zealot he's appeared to be lately. Bendis does love to have people talk, after all...

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Gambit1024

Yes! It's a very good thing!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @capelesscrusader said:

Not to be a disagreeing Dan, but maybe X-Men could benefit from a little time with talking heads. It might create some opportunities to have Cyclops say something new, as opposed to the religious zealot he's appeared to be lately. Bendis does love to have people talk, after all...

Bendis loves to make pepole suddenly go insane with no real reason 
    capelesscrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By capelesscrusader

@spiderbat87: Given the number of "formerly evil" characters living on X-Men Isle, having a few of them go randomly insane might be just what's needed to get back to more of a status quo, especially if more "righteous" mutants are in the works after AvX.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @capelesscrusader said:

@spiderbat87: Given the number of "formerly evil" characters living on X-Men Isle, having a few of them go randomly insane might be just what's needed to get back to more of a status quo, especially if more "righteous" mutants are in the works after AvX.

That's called regression and is a waste of character development 
    capelesscrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By capelesscrusader

@spiderbat87: It's only regression if the "return to status quo" doesn't include any forward progression of the character's motivations. For example, it would be well within the realm of possibility to see a conversation like this:

Erik: "Scott, you've gone too far. You're becoming the very thing you hate."

Scott: "How can you say that? You, of all people. I've been trying to stop you from creating a mutant utopia my entire life, and now that I'm so close to achieving it, you say I've gone too far?"

Erik: "I was a young and angry man. I couldn't see my own hypocrisy, being born of genocide, yet seeking to perpetrate another in pursuit of that utopia."

Etc, etc...

In other words, it's all in how it's written. Every one of these characters has progressed and, to a certain degree, regressed in their 40+ year history. What matters most is moving the story forward in a way that is engaging and adds to the larger mythos in a positive way.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @capelesscrusader said:

@spiderbat87: It's only regression if the "return to status quo" doesn't include any forward progression of the character's motivations. For example, it would be well within the realm of possibility to see a conversation like this:

Erik: "Scott, you've gone too far. You're becoming the very thing you hate."

Scott: "How can you say that? You, of all people. I've been trying to stop you from creating a mutant utopia my entire life, and now that I'm so close to achieving it, you say I've gone too far?"

Erik: "I was a young and angry man. I couldn't see my own hypocrisy, being born of genocide, yet seeking to perpetrate another in pursuit of that utopia."

Etc, etc...

In other words, it's all in how it's written. Every one of these characters has progressed and, to a certain degree, regressed in their 40+ year history. What matters most is moving the story forward in a way that is engaging and adds to the larger mythos in a positive way.

But none of what Marvel is doing with the X-Men right now is positive with maybe Legacy as an exception. This whole A Vs X thing is a complete disservice   
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lvenger

@Gambit1024: I take it you'll be checking this out then?

capelesscrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By capelesscrusader

@spiderbat87: If it leads to the return of a large mutant population, I'd have to call AvX a net-positive event. The resonance of mutant-kind as an analogy for repressed segments of society really takes a hit when you shrink the numbers so much.

I would also disagree that it's a "complete disservice", because there are definitely people who enjoy a whole lot of punchy-punchy with little else. I'm not one of them, but have fellow fans who are. THEY'RE being served. I just don't buy it. :)

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gambit1024

@Lvenger: My favorite team is finally getting a writer that matters. Hell yeah I'm checking this out, lol.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lvenger

@Gambit1024: If his work on the Ultimates is anything to go by, Hickman might blow Justice League out of the water. I'll be buying both once Hickman starts so that'll be an interesting comparison. Are you going to buy it monthly or trade? I remember you saying that you're more of a trade buyer.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gambit1024

@Lvenger: I've been saying for a while now that once Marvel hires decent writers for my favorite characters, I'll start buying monthly again (I haven't done it since.... Idk, around the time Bucky was just starting to be Captain America). Now that Hickman's on, I'll gladly throw my money his way month-to-month. And if it's really that good? I may even splurge on the hardcover trade. The 616 Avengers haven't had a story worth reading in decades.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lvenger

@Gambit1024 said:

The 616 Avengers haven't had a story worth reading in decades.

I second that motion. Bendis has had an overall poor run on the Avengers and the entire Avengers franchise has needed revitalising. Secret Avengers sort of started things off and now the Avengers is getting the treatment it deserves. I'll wait and see how I enjoy Hickman's last issues on Fantastic Four but it's likely that once Hickman finishes on that title, I'll drop it and move onto Avengers. Fraction's not getting any of my money either!

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Gambit1024

@Lvenger: I don't blame you. I haven't been reading Hickman's FF, so when he's done with it, I'll get the trades. I tend to stay away from Fraction, so I don't know how bad of a writer he could be. He wrote a pretty decent Iron Man, but I dropped it because it was all Tony and no Iron Man.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By ReVamp

Yes, it is.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lvenger

@Gambit1024: He's ruined Thor as well. The dialogue is terrible and the characters are written poorly. It's a shame JMS or Gilleon aren't still writing Thor. They understood the Asgardian mythology and could craft excellent stories that were original and reflected the part of the Marvel Universe Thor inhabits. Fraction fails to adequately handle Thor so he's not in my good books for that. Well at least Fraction isn't writing the Avengers. That would spoil everything. I wonder what direction Hickman will take with the Avengers...

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Gambit1024

@Lvenger: Oh, I can almost guarantee you that he'll take them to space. If I know Hickman, he likes big stories, and the Avengers have the biggest villains. No doubt that he'll probably bring in Loki, Kang, Ultron, and maybe even Thanos back on the map, as well as the Masters of Evil.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lvenger

@Gambit1024: Space and big stories sound like good ideas. Loki's currently in good child form and Gilleon hasn't indicated he'll revert Loki back into an evil adult yet. Kang and Ultron would be awesome. EMH particularly endeared me to Kang but Ultron more so. Masters of Evil would be a perfect accompaniment to the Avengers but Thanos would open up holes from the Thanos Imperitive and probably result in Richard Rider and Star Lord coming back as well. Arguably that's a good thing for their fans but it repeats the whole death is cheap in comics again

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
    TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

*Points at his Ultimates run*

Yes, it is a very good thing.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By ReVamp

Bendis' first 20 issues were okay, but after that its really poor, quite honestly.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By Blood1991

It is beyond great that Hickman is writing the Avengers. Unfortunetly this does mean Bendis will probably take over other titles..... If he touches the X-Men I think I may very well lose my mind.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#38  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Hickman isn't a bad writer.I'm not a fan either though.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Twentyfive

It revitalized the AvX event. Hickman can write anything.

But what he SHOULD do

is write for the Black Panther!

NOW HICKMAN!!!! NOW!!!!!!!!

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By _Zombie_

Of course it is, Hickman is an awesome writer. Plus, almost anyone is a step up from Bendis when writing The Avengers.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lvenger

@Blood1991: He will be writing X-Men afterwards I'm afraid. Permission to lose mind granted.

@ZombieBigfoot said:

Of course it is, Hickman is an awesome writer. Plus, almost anyone is a step up from Bendis when writing The Avengers.

QFT

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Gambit1024

@Lvenger: Like they weren't going to bring them back anyway? We have movies starring Thanos and the Guardians of the Galaxy on their way. I'd expect Thanos, Star Lord, Nova, and all the rest to pop in the Avengers soon enough. Sure, death in comics is cheap, but those are dudes who just can't die... not yet anyway.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Blood1991

@Lvenger:

I will find him. I will find him and destroy him.

I apologize for the cursing MODS

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lvenger

@Gambit1024: True but I figured Abnett and Lanning would be the ones to bring back Thanos, Nova and Star Lord due to their involvement with Marvel's cosmic titles. But given Thanos' appearance at the end of Avengers, I suppose a resurrection will be in order soon enough for those three. In any case it'll be nice to see the original Nova back rather than a young unknown who's just been randomly placed in AvX just to give him a place to start. And the ultimate Marvel villain would provide more than a sufficient challenge for the Avengers. Do you think Hickman will change the roster of the team or keep it the same?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Lvenger: Star Lord is already back and been horribly butchered
    No Caption Provided
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Gambit1024: ^
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Lvenger

@Blood1991: Nice gif. Hercules is my favourite childhood film and Hades one of my all time favourite villains. Anyway I know. It sucks doesn't it? I'm not an X-Men reader per se but that news annoyed me a great deal.

@spiderbat87: Well that's Bendis for you. Avengers Assemble is pure rubbish anyway. Can't believe it's canon.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Blood1991

@Lvenger: It just started to get better and now they throw them into the Bendis fire to burn.....

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Lvenger

@Blood1991: I feel for you on this. If Bendis had taken over Fantastic Four I'd have been annoyed as well. Unfortunately a bad writer will still be relieving Hickman from FF. Fraction's work has been shoddy of late as has Bendis' so this isn't good news for either title. Fortunately I'll switch over to Avengers by then so it won't be my problem.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Blood1991

@Lvenger: I am seriously one bad event away from shunning new Marvel comics. Hell I still have plenty of trades on my Amazon wish list to buy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.