I'm such a hypocrite, Avengers Arena is one amazing book!

#1 Edited by BaBaBoom (274 posts) - - Show Bio

When I first heard of the concept of Avengers Arena I was pissed. I mean, Nico, Chase, X-23, Mettle, Hazmat and Reptil all locked into a death match in the fashion similar to the Hunger Games/Battle Royale. It really is maddening to see them get killed in such a cheap fashion, or so I think. When it first came out, I decided that I would boycott the series and watch it burn to the ground. But, as the series progressed and a lot of characters die, including Darkhawk, Juston, and Nico, I begun to be curious about the series and decided to acquire the issues through other means.

I went in on this series thinking it would be bad, but as I read issue-to-issue my opinion changed. Each issue has something that is lacking in the other books that are currently out there, real risk. I have never been this thrilled for a comic book in a long time. The last time is probably back when X-men: Second Coming is out. After reading this series, I immediately bought the first trade paperback.

Even with all the negative criticism this book is getting I still suggest that Avengers Arena should be given at least a chance. All the characters are written well and some are even improved (I'm talking about you, Juston!).

What did you guys think about this series? Like it or hate it?

#2 Edited by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

I love it. Not a fan of the filler issues. I hope it finishes strong.

#3 Edited by danhimself (22565 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never had any kind of investment in any of the characters involved because I know that when Marvel introduces a new teen character that it's best not to get attached since they're either going to have a throw away death like Hornet from Slingers or be forgotten about like the rest of the Slingers, New X-men and all the other teen characters introduced after Spider-man and the X-men so I went into the book with an open mind and I've enjoyed the series...I don't love it...if it gets cancelled then I won't care but I'll read it while it's being published

#4 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

Bring hack Darkhawk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

I misread the username for the OP. That guy making this thread would have made this thread so much better.

You know the one.

#6 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by longbowhunter (7103 posts) - - Show Bio

I've heard it's really good. Haven't read it but I'm a fan of the Runaways, Avengers Academy and Kev Walker so I should probably check it out.

#8 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

I have not read any of it...trade paperback maybe?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.