Guys dont you think avengers movie Thor is TOO weak???

• 57 results
#51 Posted by TheGodofThunder (555 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he was. He was pretty impressive actually. While the thor movie showed his abilities with mjolnir, avengers showed that even without mjolnir, he could still manhandle his opponents. The only reason Hulk hit thor was because thor stopped dodging and was trying to reason with him. Hulk has to be shown a little stronger than thor because that is all hulk has. But anyone who isnt hulk obsessed could see that thor was portrayed as the most powerful and would've easily handled hulk had he been fighting and not trying to contain him.

#52 Posted by GunGunW (996 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@k4tzm4n said:

No, he wasn't too weak and here's why:

• Broke out of a cell meant to contain the Hulk
  • Able to hold back an overhead strike from Hulk.
  • He was still more powerful than Iron Man at 400% (was crushing his armor, a headbutt sent him flying)
  • One uppercut with mjlonir launched Hulk.
  • Used lightning to block the entire portal entrance, and in turn, destroy multiple enemies.

Just because Whedon didn't have him solo everything doesn't mean he wasn't powerful.

#53 Posted by Thorite (10 posts) - - Show Bio

I could care less about how 'powerful' Thor is. I care about how strong he is because from day 1 he was first and foremost a melee character. I'm totally ok with Hulk being 'a bit' stronger than Thor. If Thor appears 75% - 90% as strong as the Hulk I'm having a good day. At that level, combined with the striking power of Mjolnir Thor should be able to stand toe-to-toe with Hulk in pure melee terms and likely have an edge due to 1000 years of fighting experience. But I'm just not seeing that. I'm seeing Thor at maybe 50% of Hulks strength (before Hulk gets angrier). I'm seeing Hulk take Thor's best Mjolnir shot and jump up angrier and, of course, stronger. I believe that I saw Thor past the point of resisting when Hulk 1 hand picks him up. I'm seeing Thor needing to jump out of the way of bullets while Hulk stands and roars at them. And I just can't picture for a second Thor taking down a crocodile ship the way Hulk did or any way that didn't involve his 'all-powerful' lightening. I see Thor punching Iron Man in the head and Iron Man taking it standing; he should have at least been knocked on his a$$. Yes, Thor's headbutt > Iron Man's headbutt, but Iron man took exactly zero seconds to recover so it couldn't have phased him at all (400% power makes Iron Man more durable????). Can you picture for a second Iron Man taking a standing punch from Hulk? Or taking zero seconds to recover from a Hulk headbutt. So yes, Thor is waaaaayyyy too weak. So weak that the 50 year Hulk-Thor rivalry is effectively over as Thor simply cannot hang with him (without calling upon his all powerful lightening - what is he, a Wizard?). Maybe if Thor fans are lucky the next 5 years can be an Iron Man - Thor rivalry,...until Iron man gets his new fancy extremis armour. Too weak to call himself a 'God of Thunder'.

#54 Posted by Harlekin (680 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

No, he wasn't too weak and here's why:

• Broke out of a cell meant to contain the Hulk
  • Able to hold back an overhead strike from Hulk.
  • He was still more powerful than Iron Man at 400% (was crushing his armor, a headbutt sent him flying)
  • One uppercut with mjlonir launched Hulk.
  • Used lightning to block the entire portal entrance, and in turn, destroy multiple enemies.

Just because Whedon didn't have him solo everything doesn't mean he wasn't powerful.

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Kallarkz said:

The majority of Thor fans (including some of the more delusional ones on this site) only enjoy Thor's character for his powers. He and Storm deserve better fans.

Agree with everything here.

#55 Posted by Thorite (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow ok. Looks like the jury has spoken based on @k4tzm4n's post. So I'm just a crazy Thor fan, I get it. @k4tzm4n has a slam-dunk case and everybody agrees that none of the following makes Thor look physically weaker than concensus expects: 1. Thor does need to get out of the way of bullets. 2. Iron Man shouldn't fall down from a direct head shot from Thor. 3. Iron Man shouldn't be hurt in any way by a headbutt from Thor. 4. Thor needs 2 hands to block Hulks 1-hand (anyone see BRB in Planet Hulk? or Hulk-Thor in Ultimate Avengers) 5. Thor with Hammer after a short (historically speaking) fight with the Hulk is 1-hand manhandled by the Hulk.......and this is all we expect from Stan Lee's #1 God-hero? And,...... Thor the god,...Thor the arrogant,...and Thor's power level are completely separate in the building of his character. Face-palm. I give up. Obviously he broke a glass box so he must be powerful.

#56 Posted by 80sBaby (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@Thorite: 1. Thor has been shown to not be bullet-proof in the comics for a looooong time now so that wasn't anything new. 2. Depends on how hard Thor hit him. Did you know that Ironman has beaten Thor (as well as Hulk and Silver Surfer) in the comics? He's not some chump. And, when Thor was angry, he casually swatted Tony away like it was nothing. Did you miss that part? 3. Did you not se that huge dent in Tony's helmet from the headbutt? Or notice the difference in how Thor was affected by IM's head-butt as opposed to how Tony went flying? 4. Yes, a fully enraged Hulk IS stronger than Thor and is typically shown as such in the comics. Your percentages are pure speculative and can't possibly be calculated, especially when we know Thor was holding back. 5. Yes, he was man-handled. Have you not seen comic Thor vs. Hulk when Thor doesn't have his hammer? He gets WORKED! This, again, is nothing new.

#57 Posted by Thorite (10 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Whaaat? He's currently not bullet proof in the comics? You're kidding right? I mean, there was always that 1960s comic where Thor hid in a bush because a bunch of guys had guns, but that was right up there with the Hulk getting chocked unconscious by a snake in terms of consistency. Other than a couple of silly low end showings Thor has tanked things much more powerful than guns. Thanos' eyebeams, Silver Surfer's power cosmic, Hulk's punches,... 2. Iron Man's no chump but I don't think that I've ever seen or heard of Iron Man beating Thor in any type of media. Please direct me to such. If you've seen the Ultimate Avengers DVD (2006 ish) Thor-Iron Man's relative power levels are portrayed in what I consider consistent with the 60s,70,80s,90s comics. Iron Man's a top quartile Avenger, but the gap is very large. 3. Yes, Thor swatted Iron Man with his hammer and generally banged up his armour. Thank goodness for that. I actually loved the fight between them and the movie in general. Just pointing out that a Hulk-Iron Man fight wouldn't have lasted more than a few seconds. 4. The issue is that Thor has, for 4 out of 5 decades, been every bit as good as Hulk in melee combat. Some of the time he has been as strong or stronger than the Hulk (60s/70s). Some of the time he has been almost as strong as the Hulk but combined with fighting skills and Hammer he remains equal or possibly greater in melee (80s, 90s and even as recent as Hulk Annual 2001). In the last decade or so Thor is written as an absolute chump and Hulk appears to be far, far stronger than Thor to the point of no contest: Hulk vs Thor DVD, RULK vs Thor, Avengers EMH, Hulk-Let the battle begin (where Hulk does that 'why are you hitting yourself?' game that an adult can do to a child. All of these recent showings are a major departure from the past. Which, of course, is Marvel's right to do. Still if they're going to change his powers (not strong anymore, just powerful) I really feel that they should just do a complete redo of the character, like they did in the Ultimates. If Hulk's going to be way more powerful and Iron Man's going to be nearly as powerful, then stop making Thor a god. Stop making him sound superior as he gets his a$$ handed to him over and over and over again. This thread has the actual comic scans for most of the Hulk-Thor confrontation over the years without any fanboy biased, out-of-context conclusions that most other sites always have. http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/citizenbane/thor-and-hulk-what-really-happened-and-what-would-really-happen/87-79889/ So, based on this, I do somewhat dispute your claim that Thor gets man-handled without his hammer. Yes, bit by bit, Thor steadily loses ground until the conclusion of the fight is obvious. But in 4 of 5 decades he's never been past the point of resisting like he was in the Helicarrier battle. So yes, Thor losing like this to Hulk is 'new' at least under the lens of 5 decades of Marvel comics.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.