Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7701 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Guys dont you think avengers movie Thor is TOO weak???

• 99 results
    supermaansito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By supermaansito

i mean he did not fight flying, thunder??? twice???? plus plus....

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By evilvegeta74

They need to let him unleash his true Power!

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BatWatch

Please edit this and repost it written properly. It makes no sense as is.

he did not fight underground, lightning?????? three times?!?!?!?!?!?!?! minus minus.................

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MAZAHS117

I don't think he was "weak"...but they defenitly toned down his power. I mean in his solo flim he was soooo powerful he took out the Destroyer without taking any damage himself (which was kind of disappointing)...I don't think they wanted Thor to overshadow his teammates...He did have a good showing against Iron Man in the forest battle and did go toe-to-toe with the Hulk though....Overall I wasn't disappointed

supermaansito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By supermaansito

@SHAZAM117: @SHAZAM117 said:

I don't think he was "weak"...but they defenitly toned down his power. I mean in his solo flim he was soooo powerful he took out the Destroyer without taking any damage himself (which was kind of disappointing)...I don't thinkthey wanted Thor to overshadow his teammates...He did have a good showing against Iron Man in the forest battle and did go toe-to-toe with the Hulk though....Overall I wasn't disappointed

this

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By joshmightbe

He didn't really show much of his power but he never seemed to be straining himself in the movie so theres no way to tell if he was stronger or weaker in the movie because he didn't really get to truly show off his power. Hulk and Cap were really the only people who really got to show what they could really do.

supermaansito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By supermaansito

@joshmightbe said:

He didn't really show much of his power but he never seemed to be straining himself in the movie so theres no way to tell if he was stronger or weaker in the movie because he didn't really get to truly show off his power. Hulk and Cap were really the only people who really got to show what they could really do.

he also forgot how to fly lol

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nova`Prime`

@Supermansito said:

@joshmightbe said:

he also forgot how to fly lol

But he doesn't really fly, he throws his hammer and hangs on.

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By 80sBaby

Actually, he flew a couple of times in the movie. As far as power, he was shown as the most powerful in the group (took out multiple ships with his lightning,) which fits with the comics version. Hulk was stronger but not more powerful. Not sure what else you wanted to see.

supermaansito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By supermaansito

@80sBaby said:

Actually, he flew a couple of times in the movie. As far as power, he was shown as the most powerful in the group (took out multiple ships with his lightning,) which fits with the comics version. Hulk was stronger but not more powerful. Not sure what else you wanted to see.

this+sky......the only fly fighter was ironman

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By 80sBaby

So what? He was still waaaaay more powerful/effective than Ironman.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

No, he wasn't too weak and here's why:

• Broke out of a cell meant to contain the Hulk
    • Able to hold back an overhead strike from Hulk.
    • He was still more powerful than Iron Man at 400% (was crushing his armor, a headbutt sent him flying)
    • One uppercut with mjlonir launched Hulk.
    • Used lightning to block the entire portal entrance, and in turn, destroy multiple enemies.

Just because Whedon didn't have him solo everything doesn't mean he wasn't powerful.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cattlebattle

He got stabbed and was woozy after it...pretty lame for Thor, but, Lokis weapon was probably "deadly magic metal" or some nonsense. Other than that, he was pretty tough..

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Video_Martian

@SHAZAM117 said:

I don't think they wanted Thor to overshadow his teammates...

and

@k4tzm4n said:

• Just because Whedon didn't have him solo everything doesn't mean he wasn't powerful.
    Electron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Electron

I definitely think he wasn't as powerful as he was in his solo movie. The part when Thor fought the Frost Giants and used that movie with his hammer when it was spinning non-stop and annihilating dozens of them comes to mind. However, he was still powerful enough in Avengers to get the job done. I GUESS that's all that matters.

oraclefyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By oraclefyre

It's a team movie. Plus, they probably want to make defeating the Loki and such not that easy by not having everyone as powerful as they should be.

Avatar image for iamlovewithin500
    Iamlovewithin500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Iamlovewithin500

Oh the Thor fanboy's... 

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By joshmightbe

Avengers did do a better job of showing Thor's physical strength than his movie did. In Thor it was pretty much all about the hammer

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Kallarkz

The majority of Thor fans (including some of the more delusional ones on this site) only enjoy Thor's character for his powers. 
    He and Storm deserve better fans.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By joshmightbe

@Kallarkz: I'm a Thor fan for many reasons his powers are cool but I also love his supporting cast, Volstagg is one of my favorite comic characters. I like that he just seems a bit more grandiose than most Marvel heroes. He sticks out like a sore thumb in the Marvel universe which works well for him.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kallarkz
    @joshmightbe said:

@Kallarkz: I'm a Thor fan for many reasons his powers are cool but I also love his supporting cast, Volstagg is one of my favorite comic characters. I like that he just seems a bit more grandiose than most Marvel heroes. He sticks out like a sore thumb in the Marvel universe which works well for him.

Thor has always been a real interesting character too me. I have worked on his page extensively and have an enormous collection of his books. I like it as well that he sticks out in the Marvel Universe and was bummed when he died a bit back...but all you have to do is take a quick look around to see who is interested in him for his character and what he stands for and who is interested in him solely because "he's like so awesomely powerful".
    htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By htb106

I think that thor's solo movie let him shine a bit more because it was his movie, I'm looking forward to the sequel!

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By joshmightbe

@Kallarkz: That's fan boys for you. I've long had the theory that there is a big difference between a fan boy and a real fan. I'm more interested in reading an interesting Thor story where he is truly challenged than in seeing him just bust up some people with ease.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kallarkz
    @joshmightbe said:

@Kallarkz: That's fan boys for you. I've long had the theory that there is a big difference between a fan boy and a real fan. I'm more interested in reading an interesting Thor story where he is truly challenged than in seeing him just bust up some people with ease.

exactly. And it's another reason why I like Ultimate Thor so much. Great character but instead of writing him like they would in the 616 nearly three decades ago with him being capable of doing anything they have set more limits to his abilities. 
    Giving us the same great character but making him anti "my boyfriend Thor can do anything". 
    Although I must admit I do like to see him let loose when he has to and just goes all out. (who doesn't ;p) 
    btw i do prefer the 616 Thor.
    supermaansito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By supermaansito

@Kallarkz said:

@joshmightbe said:

exactly. And it's another reason why I like Ultimate Thor so much. Great character but instead of writing him like they would in the 616 nearly three decades ago with him being capable of doing anything they have set more limits to his abilities. Giving us the same great character but making him anti "my boyfriend Thor can do anything". Although I must admit I do like to see him let loose when he has to and just goes all out. (who doesn't ;p) btw i do prefer the 616 Thor.

do u like to see Thor losing always against hulk?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By joshmightbe

@Supermansito: I don't like to see Hulk losing at all but I understand that some characters can beat him.

supermaansito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By supermaansito

@joshmightbe said:

@Supermansito: I don't like to see Hulk losing at all but I understand that some characters can beat him.

same with Thor but not losing always against the green, it is not funny

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By joshmightbe

@Supermansito: According to Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, Thor was intended to be Marvel's answer to Superman, and Hulk was supposed to be a force of nature. The original creators of both Hulk and Thor wanted them to have about equal strength but wanted Thor to have the edge in all other aspects.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought that Thor showed off quite alot of his power. I think that the only times he was holding back were against Loki (he didn't want to completely paralyse his brother) and against Hulk (maybe couldn't have beat him with strength alone but had to avoid using lightning to ensure the safety of the S.H.I.E.L.D agents on the Helicarrier).

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jeanroygrant

@evilvegeta74 said:

They need to let him unleash his true Power!

@joshmightbe said:

Maybe we will see in Avengers 2.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jnr6Lil

In every Marvel or superheor film for that matter, heroes powers are dumbed down. It's to make it easier for the viewer to understand and not make them overpowered

In the X-Men movies all Magneto can do is move metal except for that one instance of controlling iron in someone's blood. In the comics he can do so much more like make electromagnetic fields.

PurpleCandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PurpleCandy

Agreed. But if you think he is weak in the avengers film, just look at Earth's Mightiest Heroes, he's pitiful! Even Super Hero Squad Thor's stronger than him

bamaboykmb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By bamaboykmb

He knocked the Hulk out of the Hellecarrier

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34  Edited By Pyrogram

@PurpleCandy: He took vision at terminal velocity at a very dense hit, he was durable as anything.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Tyrus

In Thor 2, we'll probably see Thor much more powerful than he was in the first film and Avengers - 1. Because it's his solo movie, 2. Because he'll look stronger without Hulk or Iron Man around and 3. Well, if were seeing an upgraded Iron Man in Iron Man 3, then we'll probably see him become more powered than he's been seen in the past 2 films.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@k4tzm4n: You couldn't be more right here. Your points are undeniable.

Thorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Thorite

Alright, this whole thing where "you're not a real fan unless you're ok with Thor being weak" is so lame. This "point" massively, massively misses the essence of the character. Here you have a hero who walks around calling other superheroes 'mortals'; generally acting like Superhero royalty (which he is); and having bravado when facing a whole army of villans. Take Secret Wars for example where he solo takes on the entire group of villans which includes Dr Doom, Ultron, Absorbing Man, Titania, Kang,...etc. He instructs them to surrender, because he's supremely confident in his GODLY ABILITIES. Thor speaks this way BECAUSE HE'S A GOD. And he's the most powerful hero (and strongest,...at least he was back then). So him speaking this way is justified because he can back it up. Now if you take his powers away or water them down sufficiently but have him speak in the same manner, well he's not a god anymore, he's just a delusional basketcase. Of course, this is the path that Marvel has choosen for him. Make him speak the same old way (lack of creativity) but have him get pawned routinely. With Hulk its not even a contest anymore. Hercules headlocked him into unconsiousness because "he's Hercules". Now Iron man can hang with him in the Avengers movie. Its just cringe inducing to see Thor take his lumps all the time and continue talking as if he's the S**T. It makes him look dumber than the Savage Hulk. THIS is why Thor fans hate to see Thor lose all the time. Not because we want to see GOKU-superpowerups, but because it destroys the essence of the character. Incidentially, this is why Ultimate Thor was so awesome. You didn't know if he was a god or not so it was ok to think he was a delusional nutcase.

Avatar image for shark_repellent_bat_spray
    Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I was quite dissapointed with a few things in the film; Like how it was very Iron Man centric and Thor's power being toned down. He would have destroyed Iron Man in the forest battle. Also, Captain America had one stupid looking costume.

selinaky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By selinaky

I would've liked to have seen more ability from Thor, but he had some impressive scenes in his solo film so there's no doubt he's powerful. It's a team film, so obviously they have to let all the characters have some spotlight. I don't think he truly let loose anyway, it was his brother he was fighting after all.

At least he's got his own solo film series too! Can't wait for Thor 2.

Thorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Thorite

In some sense Thor had some good moments in the film, but in every relative ranking he looks pretty middling as a power. In Thor's Stan Lee glory days, Thor comes real close to having enough relative power to one-shot Iron Man and match or virtually match the Hulk in pure, no hammer, strength. In this movie, Loki lasts zero seconds against the Hulk and routinely falls down everytime he faces Iron Man. Yet he can go mano-a-mano with Thor for multiple scenes. Thor vs Iron Man gave Thor a slight edge and I'd imagine him winning had the fight continued (can't wait to see Tony's new, more powerful armour in Iron Man,...I'm sure he'll massively eclipse Thor at that point). I think it was pretty clear that Hulk was probably twice as strong as Thor (with upward potential) and he took Thor's best hammer shot and jumped right back up. So its hard not to conclude that Thor is nowhere near as powerful as Hulk and about the same power as Iron Man (until he gets his new armour anyway). Thor blowing up a bunch of Chitari ships is there to maintain Marvel's new, recently invented, mantra "Hulk is the strongest, Thor is the most powerful". Thor fans are also thrown a tiny bone in that Thor breaks out of Hulk's prison. Although, I'm pretty sure that Hulk would also have broken out of it. To make up for the fact that Thor is routinely treated as a punching bag, Marvel has decided that Thor is the most powerful because of his lightening. Yeah,....right, his lightening makes him the most powerful. Lightening. I just don't know what to think each time I read a comic or see Thor defeating someone because of his lightening. The whole "forged in the heart of a dying star,... and as a weapon it has no equal..." is nothing compared to his ability to create atmospheric turbulence... palm-face. WTF,... he's the most powerful because he's a GOD and he has an enchanted, all powerful Mjolnir!!!! It's not about the lightening,....that's for collateral damage to take out the lightweight riff-raft. Its just so awful to see him as X-Men's Storm with Class 50 strength. "Step aside mortals,...here comes the (not-so) Mighty Thor".

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#41  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @k4tzm4n said:

No, he wasn't too weak and here's why:

• Broke out of a cell meant to contain the Hulk
    • Able to hold back an overhead strike from Hulk.
    • He was still more powerful than Iron Man at 400% (was crushing his armor, a headbutt sent him flying)
    • One uppercut with mjlonir launched Hulk.
    • Used lightning to block the entire portal entrance, and in turn, destroy multiple enemies.

Just because Whedon didn't have him solo everything doesn't mean he wasn't powerful.

Thorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Thorite

Well that assessment really depends on your expectation of how strong he should have been. 1. Broke out of a cell *meant* to contain the Hulk. Had that cell actually contained the Hulk then I might have been impressed. I cannot imagine for a second that the same Hulk that 1 punch destroyed the crocodile ship wouldn't have also broken that cell. So its not really a relative ranking, we're just made to think that it is. 2. Able to hold back an overhead strike from Hulk. This is where our expectations wildly differ. While it impressed you that Thor, with 1 hand, was able to stop a one hand Hulk strike and, with 2 hands + body, was able to push up against the Hulk's one hand this 'feat' is hovering around the bare minimum of watchable for me. Given that Thor was invented to be 'stronger than the strongest mortal' (Hulk) that feat doth not impress a God of Thunder (follower). :) 3. Iron Man at 400%. Well ok, if I'm to take the 400% as fact. Still this has been a one-shot type of mismatch in the past. I'm not expecting that type of power discrepancy to show up on the big screen with Robert Downey Jr.,...just saying. 4. One uppercut with *Mjolnir* launched the Hulk. Right. Equal or near equal in strength + carrying 'forged in the heart of a dying star and as a weapon it has no equal' Mjolnir. Why wouldn't he launch the Hulk? Rather Hulk should be lucky to keep his head on his shoulders but instead shrugged it off in seconds and then proceeded to toss Thor around. I believe that near the end of that Carrier fight, Hulk 1 hand picks up Thor which shows that Thor was pretty much past the point of resisting (and Thor has to jump out of the way of bullets?) I'm well past expecting Thor to be shown as Hulk's physical equal as he was during Stan Lee's time. I'm pretty happy if Thor appears to be 75% to 90% as strong as the Hulk. I view the movie as portraying him around 50% of the Hulk's strenght. UNACCEPTABLE! :) I think that one of the best portrayals of the Hulk-Thor rivalry occured in Hulk #300. Hulk's own comic and an anniversary type one at that. It's a fully, mindlessly, enraged Hulk, totally Bannerless basically as strong and savage as Hulk can get. He trashes a city worth of heroes and then the Avengers until its Thor's turn. They start fighting with Thor landing more of the blows, smart warrior openings rather than full-powered megaswings. Then Hulk lands an absolutely monstrous full roundhouse to the chest/gut of Thor. Thor takes is standing, doesn't give an inch (but it looks body-crumplingly painful) and then turns around and knocks Hulk out of the park (actually into a park from the street). Then the fight is interrupted by Dr. Strange. Overall it shows Thor with Hammer having an edge but not an overwhelming one. Hulk still appears likely stronger (but not overwhelmingly so) and very dangerous. That's my standard, and this movie didn't quite capture that feeling. I can't see Avenger's Hulk and Avenger's Thor having a lasting rivalry because it doesn't seem to me that Thor could survive a full one-on-one encounter with the Hulk. So sad for Stan Lee's #1 God-hero. Man, I hate this limited text editor. :)

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#43  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Kallarkz said:

The majority of Thor fans (including some of the more delusional ones on this site) only enjoy Thor's character for his powers. He and Storm deserve better fans.
    Thorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Thorite

Define better fans. I've followed Thor mags and Marvel since the early 1980s. Sooooo,.... does that make me a bad fan? But I shouldn't be baited by somebody with nothing to add. Would your post constitute trolling? Kallarkz made a good point, I just disagree that it applies to every hero. How about you try making a good point. :)

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By minigunman123

@Kallarkz said:

The majority of Thor fans (including some of the more delusional ones on this site) only enjoy Thor's character for his powers. He and Storm deserve better fans.

Well from what I have read, and I haven't read too much, Thor doesn't exactly have a compelling character.

Thorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Thorite

Well I wouldn't completely disagree with you there. Its inately a challenge to make a 'most powerful' hero that interesting and doubly so when this hero doesn't/shouldn't live on Earth and doesn't/shouldn't have normal work/ girlfriend/money problems. He's immortal, immune to disease or aging, extremely powerful,...for better or worse, he's superhero royalty. To boot, his father is virtually all powerful and virtually all knowing. So this is where his own comic falls down. Recent Thor comics have made him dark and brooding which makes it even worse because now he's even harder to relate to. Its somewhat better when he's portrayed as youthful, exuberant and prideful. More to come,...

Thorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Thorite

With these characteristics, I think that Marvel has 2 paths to make Thor interesting. The first is to drop his comic and just make him a summonable, 'to-the-rescue' type of hero. Reading some of the older Avengers comics like when Ultron first got his Adamanitum body they used Thor in this capacity. They juxapositioned Wonderman, who was powerful but much less so than Thor and afraid of dying, with Thor a bravado talking, superior immortal. The whole story was POV of Wonderman who was craping his pants that Ultron was probably going to kill him. That story is basically Wonderman rising up to the challenge of stepping into the same ring as Thor was in. That was an effective use of both characters and it allowed for the Avengers to take on a team buster like Ultron while showing the contribution and character of a less powerful character. Unfortunately, no comic for Thor means no outraged fans when he loses which means that Thor would routinely be the punching bag in everyone else's comic (establishing street cred see RULK) which is pretty much the state that Thor was in just before the Thor movie came out.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By THORSON

yes and no

yes, because i want to see THOR smite villains.

no, because it makes sense to downgrade THOR so the movie doesn't revolve around THOR but around the AVENGERS.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By THORSON

@Kallarkz: once in a while THOR fans want to see THOR brutalize opponents, instead of "jobbing"

Thorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Thorite

How about another yes/no answer? Yes, Thor is too weak if he's being portrayed as a god. No, Thor's not too weak if he's being cast as an alien-origin member of the Avengers. Within the same movie they referred to Thor as a God, a demi-god and Asgardians as a alien race. Not sure that Marvel knows what to do with Thor and the Asgardians.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.