Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7704 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Favorite Founding Avenger

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

Poll Favorite Founding Avenger (40 votes)

Ant-Man 18%
    Hulk 20%
    Iron Man 20%
    Thor 38%
    Wasp 5%

Who is your favorite founding member of the premier superhero team?

• 
    PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Thor followed by Hank

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to say Hulk. I thnk I just loved how Hulk was back then, especially how Kirby drew him.

Hulk was scary but also sympathetic. You really got that just from the look of him. Some artists today just make him look all roided out and fearsome while forgetting the human side.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3 the_stegman  Moderator

Wasp

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

iron man.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 the_stegman  Moderator

@extremis said:

@the_stegman: nice, don't see many Wasp fans

She's easily my favorite out of that list. Even in their early adventures, her fawning over hot guys was much needed comic relief. How can you NOT like her??

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Extremis

@the_stegman: you know what, I miss the simplicity of that first team. Now the Avengers is so huge that the focus is on a lot of characters and it's ever-changing.

I never read all of the old ones, but I liked that team a lot.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 the_stegman  Moderator

@extremis: I've been buying tons of Marvel's Essential line and DC's Showcase line, I've been thinking it's time for me to see where all these characters started. Cheesy as heck, but fun nonetheless.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Hank Pym.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Extremis

@the_stegman: yeah I hear ya. They can be quite cheesy and a bit tough to get through even at times, but it's also a lot of fun. There's something about those old comics that just tap into that nerdy wellspring of giddiness within myself.

I find more and more that I really enjoy the old stuff. When I first got into comics I stayed away from them but I realize I was missing out on some classic stories.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I flipped a coin between Hank and Janet and it landed on Hank. I'm not as interested in the others.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideysense44: For some reason they've just never stood out to me as much. I don't have a problem with them, but they're not really characters I feel the need to read solo comics about.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I would say Hank and Janet.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose:

Have you ever read one of their solo comics? well I wouldn't read any of ironmans its trash :/

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideysense44: I haven't read any solo Thor, and the only solo Hulk I've read is the first 6 issues of his original series. I think I'm less interested in Iron Man than the others.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ant-Man, no doubt about it.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

it's just way too hard for me to pick between these choices...Hank, Hulk, and Thor are all favorites for me, and they're all great characters.

who's winning anyway?

infectedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By infectedhero

That would be Hulk for me.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis: I've been buying tons of Marvel's Essential line and DC's Showcase line, I've been thinking it's time for me to see where all these characters started. Cheesy as heck, but fun nonetheless.

Have you given the Essential books of FF and Spidey? Those are the best I feel, especially FF. It's awesome to see all these iconic concepts being created one issue after the other.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: you should definately read Thor:God of Thunder i wasnt that much into Thor at all really until i began reading this series

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

I'm going to say Hulk. I thnk I just loved how Hulk was back then, especially how Kirby drew him.

Hulk was scary but also sympathetic. You really got that just from the look of him. Some artists today just make him look all roided out and fearsome while forgetting the human side.

To be honest I'm not a fan of the way Kirby draws hulk, he looks more frankenstein the a gamma monster/engine of destruction.

well Frankenstein was a big influence so that's a fair comparison. I really like it, it just works for me.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

@theacidskull said:

@extremis said:

To be honest I'm not a fan of the way Kirby draws hulk, he looks more frankenstein the a gamma monster/engine of destruction.

well Frankenstein was a big influence so that's a fair comparison. I really like it, it just works for me.

Oh I know that it is :), Mr.Hyde/Jekyll and Frankenstein were a big part of why stan created the hulk, but I've always preferred him to be at least 8 to 10 feet tall and really buff. It makes him look threatening and monstrous.

yeah he's definitely more monstrous now, but it's not all about JUST that for me. I like that Hulk was kind of the black sheep amongst a group of black sheep. Kirby made Hulk monstrous and intimidating, but it wasn't as excessive as artists get with him today. You could still see the sadness and loneliness behind those eyes. That really resonates with me.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

@theacidskull said:

@extremis said:

@theacidskull said:

@extremis said:

Oh I know that it is :), Mr.Hyde/Jekyll and Frankenstein were a big part of why stan created the hulk, but I've always preferred him to be at least 8 to 10 feet tall and really buff. It makes him look threatening and monstrous.

yeah he's definitely more monstrous now, but it's not all about JUST that for me. I like that Hulk was kind of the black sheep amongst a group of black sheep. Kirby made Hulk monstrous and intimidating, but it wasn't as excessive as artists get with him today. You could still see the sadness and loneliness behind those eyes. That really resonates with me.

Oh definitely! I respect Kirby's style, I'd be ignorant not too, just not one of my favorite designs. :)

fair enough, to each their own

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Extremis

Bump

Avatar image for pietromaximoffistheman
    PietroMaximoffIsTheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pym by far. Then Thor.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I flipped a coin between Ant-Man, Wasp, and Hulk. Ant-Man won so I chose him.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron Man. Loved the character since Demon in a Bottle.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still have yet to read that one but it's supposed to be one of, if not the, best Iron Man story.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

@nathaniel_christopher said:

I still have yet to read that one but it's supposed to be one of, if not the, best Iron Man story.

I consider it to be the defining Iron Man story. I'd probably place it on my top 20 list of Marvel story lines. Not trying to oversell it, but I just consider it to be that good. It takes a nice look at a very real, and severe character flaw, and doesn't pull any punches. For the most part, I think it's impact has stood the test of time with this being one of the key elements to Tony's character that's stayed consistent over the years, and other writers have been sure to include callbacks to it in some way, even if its just Tony going to an AA meeting. Heck they even partially adapted it for Iron Man 2. (Would love to see an entire movie on it, but it'd be fairly dark I think.) I'm not a person who has a problem with drinking or anything, but I think it's just a powerful story nonetheless and that it changed the character forever.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.