Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7704 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Does Every Super Hero Need to Be Muscular and Deadly?

• 63 results
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
      The Avengers came together to fight Loki. These guys came together to fight... Eric Roberts.
     The Avengers came together to fight Loki. These guys came together to fight... Eric Roberts.

So all the talk about Thor and Wolverine taking notes from Mike Tyson has got me thinking. See, I picture THE EXPENDABLES as action movies’ answer to THE AVENGERS. Earth’s biggest badasses assembling for the first time, giving you Rambo, the Transporter and Det. John McClane in the same movie, just like JLA gives you Batman, Superman and Green Lantern in the same comic. The comparison draws attention, however, to what I think is as big of a conceit for superheroes as poorly-concealed secret identities. That is, a standard you just have to accept as part of your suspension of disbelief.

Superheroes are aspirational figures, obviously.   And a lot of people aspire to be muscular and dangerous. Hence, Spider-Man, Thor, Wolverine... and basically every other cape, have larger-than-life physiques. Hence, the profiles in the Official Handbook, Who’s Who and, of course, Comic Vine’s databases will more-often-than-not include “extensive martial arts training" in the character stats. But how often does it make sense, even in these fantasy worlds? 

Captain America? It makes sense. He's a super-solider who’s in so deep with his duties, you don't expect there's much to his life outside of fighting crime and training. But how many other characters do you figure will really be pumping their iron, knocking back their whey protein shakes and practicing their katas every day? If you've ever practiced a martial art, you'll know that kind of stuff is time-consuming.  == TEASER ==

So big for a little man.
     So big for a little man.

And I just can't picture, say, the Atom fitting all of that in between all his White Dwarf research... yet look how big the famous little man's action figure is to the right. Similarly, I always find it amusing whenever the X-Men recruited some novice, wayward teen who just happens to be able to kick highly-trained anti-mutant agents' asses?

Anyway, like I said, this is obviously just part of the game. But I couldn't help thinking, given how much the grizzled Expendables looked the part, that most superheroes would really need to be played by a Sly Stallone or a Dolph Lundgren to adequately capture their physiques in the comics. What say you, Comic Vine community?

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of HYBRID BASTARDS! & UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazon here & here.

BuddyBulson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BuddyBulson

i think x-men explained it once that the x-gene makes it so that you dont have to work out nearly as much as the regular human to have a great body. as for the training i agree, unless emma uploads it into u like the matrix

Avatar image for thegentlemanrogue
    thegentlemanrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By thegentlemanrogue

I aways thought that Brandon Routhwas actually the perfect build for what Superman should be. Superman can lift a million tons... so how on Earth does he work out his muscles so he looks like a line backer... and why does he waste his time doing it? He has vast super strength regardless of how tone he is. I think less people would wonder why an alien who gets superpowers from the sun has a slight build, than people would wonder why Clark Kent looks like an Schwarzenegger stand in.

That said I do prefer the Marvel / DC archetypal hero over the typical sexually ambiguous, 95 pound, 13 year old panty-waist hero that litters manga / anime.

604comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By 604comics

They don't necessarily need to be muscular but it gives the public more confidence if they see that the superhero looks like they are capable of stopping a speeding train, deflecting attacks, and strong enough to withstand copious amounts of pain.

I think they should be deadly though, whether it's physically, mentally, or preferably both.

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By No_name_here
    @thegentlemanrogue: Ha! Did you ever see that SNL skit with the Rock as Clark Kent?
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Magian

For some characters it's ok to be muscular, especially the non-powered ones. Although sometimes the artists overdo it.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#6  Edited By xerox_kitty

This is funny, because it's so similar to the Obesity in comics thread from the other day.  I would be AMAZED if super hero comics started portraying their women with a pot belly and wobbly thighs.  As much as I am loving Gabriele Dell'Otto's art on X-Force: Sex & Violence, his rendition of Domino is ludicrously skinny!  Somehow I suspect that 'realistic' women are something that only indie titles can achieve. 

But a friend of mine at work keeps moaning that the women in comics are too imbalanced in the T&A department.  To which I remind him that the male characters are equally idealised.  After all, I adore Mike Choi's work.  Yet the only human being who can closely resemble the majority of guys he draws is the chap who's playing Thor.  And I will shamefully admit that's not a bad thing :)

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Magian

Another weird thing. Men in comics most of the times are muscular and ripped while women are always so model looking, even those you would expect to be muscular.

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shadowdoggy

they dont' HAVE to be muscular 
    but that goodness they are 
    I already spend a lot of time looking at regular people 
    I'd prefer my fantasy worlds to be filled with adonis', thanks 
    ;) 
    and besides, at this point, they are playing into the atypical heroic character molds 
    and they all have 28" biceps and shelf-pects
    Chibi-Iroh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Chibi-Iroh

I wouldn't say its necessary but it certainly does help.

XFan616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By XFan616

Agreed. Not only is it impossible and unnecessary, it's unhealthy. Kids read these and think that's what they have to look like to be hot. I have to have a six pack. I have to be able to fit into costumes that would not fit my little sister. I'm not saying comic books are responsible for eating disorders and over-expectant self-images, but everything helps-er...hurts.

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @XFan616:
    hey, anything to get fat, non-exercising, fast food addicted, lazy kids up off the couch and out the door 
    I mean, they shouldn't be made to feel bad......but they aren't going to get any healthier reading books that tell them to "Love themselves no matter what!"  if that self if morbidly obese and eats pizza for breakfast    
    on a side note, I'm really sick of this whole "people have the right to be fat" mentality that's surfaced in the past few years 
    I think everyone should love who they are and how they looks
    but it's horribly unhealthy to eat crap and not exercise 
    even if you're thin
    Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By ReverseNegative

They don't need to be muscular. I think they'd be fine as long as they are good fighters.

lvv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By lvv

muscles => strenght => heroe

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#14  Edited By Dracade102

As Long as they Can save people in Ways no regular human could, They Qualify as Superheroes.

BuddyBulson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BuddyBulson
    @XFan616: 
    Yeah i look at the pictures in comics and then i look down at my own gut and i dont feel like i should run to the bath room and put my head in the toilet i feel like i should hit the gym. yet i dont. haha
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By jefprice

Most of the time in the X-Books at least those they recruit are awful fighters that they end up recusing from something then spending a large amount  training. 

batmanboy11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#17  Edited By batmanboy11

No. Just look at Scott Pilgrim.
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shadowdoggy

if you're a superhero, with no secret alian/second identity, what else do you have to do all day except work out? 
    614azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By 614azrael

Course they will be, for starters all that runin n jumpn punchn kickn etc obviously helps keep it up an frankly they do tht alot. alot of characters train via sparing n this obviously will help alot(danger room sesions r not merely power training) that an u xpect thim to if there going to do what they do. go outside n wlk 3 miles without fluids n tell me how that went for u lol n thts nothin to these ppl. They could use a bit mor realism tho i mean not every musscle in the body shud show
    skaarason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By skaarason

no , but it should help !

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By CellphoneGirl

I don't get how a lot of them are so muscular, like.. can't we just be a little realistic? Like being fit i understand.. but overly muscular? yeah right.

Avatar image for i_madc_imageguy_
    I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By I'maDC/ImageGuy!

It comes with the Job.

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Thunderscream

I'd like to see a character who's not sp modelesque and doesn't have a chiseled face. I liked Angel Salvatore (bug girl) because she looked real......for a little while at least.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Mbecks14

Do comedians have to be funny? 

No. But it just doesnt work if they're not.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DH69

oh where is that video of stewie playing with he-man explaining the whole muscular sub concious homo-eroticism thing when you need it

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Captain13
    @Tom Pinchuk said:

" @thegentlemanrogue: Ha! Did you ever see that SNL skit with the Rock as Clark Kent? "

Here's a link to it:
     http://albums.tapuz.co.il/albums/flixBlogPlayer.swf?autoStart=false&MID=1732289
    G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By G'bandit

Kick ass looked like wimp last time I saw him

Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Thor's hammmer

well all chararcters who don't have superpowers kind of need to to be able to do the job but superstrong doesn't=super muscular which is apparently something all superheroes are
    ZORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ZORN

Do they need muscles? Yes
    Do they need a bodybuilder physique? No
     This reminds me of a time I saw a painting of Tarzan, his physique looked very stupid considering he grew up in the jungle and his build in the pic would never ever work in that environment, artist like Tim Bradstreet know how to draw a functional body, look at his work on The Punisher, he draws him Lean and deadly, and also Steve Dillon draws a functional physique from what I've seen.

Avatar image for thegentlemanrogue
    thegentlemanrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@614azrael said:

" Course they will be, for starters all that runin n jumpn punchn kickn etc obviously helps keep it up an frankly they do tht alot. alot of characters train via sparing n this obviously will help alot(danger room sesions r not merely power training) that an u xpect thim to if there going to do what they do. go outside n wlk 3 miles without fluids n tell me how that went for u lol n thts nothin to these ppl. They could use a bit mor realism tho i mean not every musscle in the body shud show "

All true so long as the hero in question is baseline human... but anyone who can lift more than twenty tons is going to get about as much a work out from running, jumping and punching as I did typing this post. Many heroes can lift exponentially more than they weigh, to the point that moving their body wouldn't be any form of exercise or exertion. Not only would getting into the shape they are typically depicted in be impossible for most heroes, but they should actually start to atrophy I would think
    614azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By 614azrael
    @thegentlemanrogue:
    lol vaid point, while that may help say punisher or batman or even characters like cyclops it wouldnt do a thing for say colossus course then u have to figure superstrength comes with super muscles
    Avatar image for blueninjapanther
    blueninjapanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By blueninjapanther

I think they should have strength but maybe most ot the heroes and can be.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By Bestostero

Bouncing Boy is doing pretty well for not being a muscular dude, he even dated Triplicate Girl lol

RATZGobbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RATZGobbler

The body builder profiles help set the image and besides it's a matter of advertisement, a real marine's musculature doesn't really bring super-human at first sight. It's the dynamic you want in your heroes and the phony muscles bring that.

Bergquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By Bergquist

well the atom does not deal with street level crime hes mostly in the lab 

but say others like Daredevil and luke cage, ive seen more than once "pumping their iron "  

Lustwish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lustwish

YES! Enough of these miniature wannabes.  I miss the bulky, crude, muscular barbarian type dude.  I miss Sly, Arnold and the rest.  The small man has filled the void for now and has had his chance.  No more chicks trying to save the world with an attitude, tho its kinda hot.  The big boy must return and this is just the beginning.  GIJOE, The A-Team, The Expendables and many more will return and take their rightful places kick shit. 

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Shadow_Thief

Well, if you're going to depict your characters in ridiculous, unrealistic outfits, might as well fill those outfits with ridiculous, unrealistic bodies. Comics aren't the first to do this. Classical Greek art often depicted heavily idealized human forms. Ever see some of the early images of Socrates? For an elderly philosopher, he looks pretty pumped.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#38  Edited By ImperiousRix

I'm of the mindset that not all superheroes should be so equally muscular.  I mean, comics started with the heroes looking like they were fit male individuals, with exceptions like the Hulk being disproportionately large and muscular.  Now, everybody seems to have more or less the same body type with very few exceptions.  
    Line up a couple of heroes silhouetted heroes with similar costumes next to one another and see if you can guess who is who based solely on body type. 
    Again, look at guys like the Atom or Ant-Man.  Is there any reason these dudes should be so muscular?  What about Tony Stark?  Sure he needs to be in decent shape to operate the suit, but Tony often looks buff and I mean BUFF outside the tin can. 
    Perhaps it's a matter of just drawing what LOOKS good, but I think artists should go out of there way to make sure some of these dudes get their own unique looks in terms of body size.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By NightFang3

No but it does help.

Lokheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Lokheit

The x-men are under constant training all the time, even when they don't have the danger room they are always trying to maintan their form and even the little kids studied martial arts with Cyclops and Wolverine or fencing with Nightcrawler.

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By Amegashita

You know what?  This reminds me of a drawing comics article I read on the internet somewhere.  The artist, forget his name, said this exact quote.  "Remember!  Comic book anatomy is not the same as real anatomy so get your head out of that human anatomy book!"

That pretty much sums it up if you ask me.

Dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dro

Most depictions I've seen of Spider-Man are pretty realistic. He's a thin guy, but he's really cut. And Spider-Man's allowed to look like that, as the spider bite actually adjusted his physique. It's mentioned directly in the comic.

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Calvin

Superheroes to look up to, that's what I say. They are more self-sacrifice than most, more cooler than most and they look better than most. 

If we saw Batman eating McDonald instead of training, what kind motivation would that give us? 

No Caption Provided
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @Calvin:
    great point 
    why shouldn't kids want to be the epitomy of physical perfection and good health? 
    sure, it's as unrealistis as say, a model whose been photoshopped 
    but these are fictional characters 
    drawings 
    they shouldn't change the way superheroes are drawn just because such a huge percentage of the United States has such a huge percentage of junk in their trunks 
    Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Kid_Zombie

Ya they should be. Anything to get kids out and moving and stop being fat and lazy.

@xerox-kitty said:

But a friend of mine at work keeps moaning that the women in comics are too imbalanced in the T&A department.  To which I remind him that the male characters are equally idealised.  After all, I adore Mike Choi's work.  Yet the only human being who can closely resemble the majority of guys he draws is the chap who's playing Thor.  And I will shamefully admit that's not a bad thing :) "
    Ya I find this argument annoying as well. males are just as idealized as women.  It's like that recent study that came out about porn. It actually effects the males self esteem a lot more then the womens, seeing men super fit with huge johnsons ha ha
    Jejor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jejor

But John Stamos told me that physical appearance doesn't matter...

I think comics should show more heroes working out...and being sore the next day.  We see it sometimes, but it always feels like a disproportionate amount of time.  Let's see Colossus icing his shoulder after Fastball Special practice or Batman talking business but doing sit ups instead of sitting in an office chair.  At least kids would think, "I want to be just like those...oh wait, that looks like it would take a lot of effort.  Nevermind, I'd just rather be like Hank Pym...smart"

AskaniSon295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AskaniSon295

Molly Hayes is a perfect example of a character that is deadly put not muscular. I loved when she punched the punisher & wolverine.

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @AskaniSon295:
    but she's still a kid 
    she could be muscular one day 
    and besides, looking like a kid but punching like freight train is sort of her thing.
    Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#49  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

Muscles help, but I don't think every super hero needs to be a professional bodybuiler during their "off" hours.
    Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#50  Edited By Nerx

The costumes come with steroids 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.