Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7704 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Classic Avengers?

LeeSensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LeeSensei

I see a lot of people who want a Classic Avengers team rather than the new guys. Why? A changing roster is a staple of the Avengers.

And who are the Classic Avengers anyways? Like the JL had the Satellite Era team. Would these be the classic avengers?

JLA_and_The_Avengers_Wallpaper_JxHy.jpg :: coolstuff

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I see a lot of people who want a Classic Avengers team rather than the new guys. Why? A changing roster is a staple of the Avengers.

And who are the Classic Avengers anyways? Like the JL had the Satellite Era team. Would these be the classic avengers?

When people say 'Classic', I always think of these guys:

No Caption Provided

Along with Hank Pym, these guys were the main team in the 60s, and remain the iconic members of the Avengers.

LeeSensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@leesensei said:

No Caption Provided

Along with Hank Pym, these guys were the main team in the 60s, and remain the iconic members of the Avengers.

Hank Pym's in the background.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@veshark said:

@leesensei said:

No Caption Provided

Hank Pym's in the background.

Is that him as Goliath? Jeez you can barely tell....my bad then.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By oldnightcrawler

I noticed Pym right away, but almost thought Wasp was missing..so..

Vision, Black Panther, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Ironman, Wasp, Hank Pym, Thor, and Cap'

yeah, I guess so. I think a case could be made for Hercules, Quicksilver, and maybe Black Widow, but basically this, sure.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Maybe the Hulk, but more because of the Ultimates than the actual Avengers; actually, I think you could make more of a case for She-Hulk, really.

LeeSensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I noticed Pym right away, but almost thought Wasp was missing..so..

Vision, Black Panther, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Ironman, Wasp, Hank Pym, Thor, and Cap'

yeah, I guess so. I think a case could be made for Hercules, Quicksilver, and maybe Black Widow, but basically this, sure.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Maybe the Hulk, but more because of the Ultimates than the actual Avengers; actually, I think you could make more of a case for She-Hulk, really.

I guess it depends? Of course Wasp, Quicksilver, Hercules and Black Widow were on the team in the 60's (Technically Black Widow joined in the 70s, but she worked with them during the 60s a lot). She-Hulk joined sometime in the 80's (because that's when she was created). With the Justice League, the Satellite Era would be the team during the 70's up until the early 80's when Firestorm joined. But the Justice League had a lot less members in their early years. If we're going by the 70's a case could be made for Beast and Wonder Man even. What about the first question?

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldnightcrawler

really.

I guess it depends? Of course Wasp, Quicksilver, Hercules and Black Widow were on the team in the 60's (Technically Black Widow joined in the 70s, but she worked with them during the 60s a lot). She-Hulk joined sometime in the 80's (because that's when she was created). With the Justice League, the Satellite Era would be the team during the 70's up until the early 80's when Firestorm joined. But the Justice League had a lot less members in their early years. If we're going by the 70's a case could be made for Beast and Wonder Man even. What about the first question?

do you mean why do people prefer a "classic" lineup to an ever changing roster? I don't know; some people seem to dislike change. I'm sure some people just want to feel like their favorite characters will always be on the team, and that some characters deserve to be on the team because they define what they like about it.

For me, I can see both sides in a way. On the one hand, what the Avengers are is simply an ensemble cast of marvel's superheroes, a place for characters to be developed and defined in relation to each other; and from that way of looking at it, it should always be changing and adding new members. Sure, the characters mentioned above are among the first Avengers, but are they somehow more classic than characters like Spiderman, Daredevil, Dr.Strange, the Thing, or She-Hulk?

But, on the other hand, that's not to say that the Avengers as a group within their own story don't have a quality that makes them distinct; it really is/should be more than just any random grouping of marvel superheroes. Take the various versions of Bendis' New Avengers: at first the only classic Avengers on the team were Cap' and Ironman, but the rest were mostly all classic marvel superheroes. It was cool to see such a distinct new team, but it still felt like the Avengers because of Cap' and Ironman. But eventually Cap' and Ironman were both gone, and somehow it was still the Avengers. Okay, I guess Hawkeye was still there, but eventually even he left, and by that time, the team had developed enough of it's own identity as the Avengers to not need the validating quality that came from having more established characters. See what I mean?

Personally, I love it when a classic character becomes a new member, like Spiderman, Dr.Strange, Luke Cage, or a lot of the various characters who have joined recently, like Rogue, Sunfire, or Hyperion. And I love it when a new character becomes a classic member, like Jessica Jones, Sentry, or the Vision. But neither of those things happen if the team never develops beyond the original or classic membership.

LeeSensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leesensei said:

really.

do you mean why do people prefer a "classic" lineup to an ever changing roster? I don't know; some people seem to dislike change. I'm sure some people just want to feel like their favorite characters will always be on the team, and that some characters deserve to be on the team because they define what they like about it.

For me, I can see both sides in a way. On the one hand, what the Avengers are is simply an ensemble cast of marvel's superheroes, a place for characters to be developed and defined in relation to each other; and from that way of looking at it, it should always be changing and adding new members. Sure, the characters mentioned above are among the first Avengers, but are they somehow more classic than characters like Spiderman, Daredevil, Dr.Strange, the Thing, or She-Hulk?

But, on the other hand, that's not to say that the Avengers as a group within their own story don't have a quality that makes them distinct; it really is/should be more than just any random grouping of marvel superheroes. Take the various versions of Bendis' New Avengers: at first the only classic Avengers on the team were Cap' and Ironman, but the rest were mostly all classic marvel superheroes. It was cool to see such a distinct new team, but it still felt like the Avengers because of Cap' and Ironman. But eventually Cap' and Ironman were both gone, and somehow it was still the Avengers. Okay, I guess Hawkeye was still there, but eventually even he left, and by that time, the team had developed enough of it's own identity as the Avengers to not need the validating quality that came from having more established characters. See what I mean?

Personally, I love it when a classic character becomes a new member, like Spiderman, Dr.Strange, Luke Cage, or a lot of the various characters who have joined recently, like Rogue, Sunfire, or Hyperion. And I love it when a new character becomes a classic member, like Jessica Jones, Sentry, or the Vision. But neither of those things happen if the team never develops beyond the original or classic membership.

I see what you mean, but the Visions been a classic member since the 60's.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldnightcrawler

I see what you mean, but the Visions been a classic member since the 60's.

yeah, I know; I've read just about every Avengers comic from the 60's. I just used him as an example because he was a totally new character when he first joined the team, and probably one of the best examples of a character specifically designed to be a member of the team rather than a solo hero.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.