Captain America's Shield is Harmless

#1 Posted by TerrellV13 (74 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, now before you guys go all nerd rage on me, hear me out. First of all, we all know that the Cap's shield is made out of the rare metal known as Vibranium. But hat a lot of people don't realise, is that there are many different forms of Vibranium. Captain America happens to use a kind found in Wakanda that has the properties that allows it to absorb sound. Considering that sound IS vibration, that means that his shield should absorb all impact (which it does) but it still can be used as a weapon. How is that? If the shield absorbs impact, that it is essentially like throwing a Nerf frisbee at someone. Apon impact due to the absorbtion of vibration, it should drop to the ground. That means no damage, and no ricocheting.

#2 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

It doesn't work that way. What it should do, and what it's shown to do are two different things.

#3 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

Rookie error. Never try to apply real world physics to comic books.

#4 Posted by Mrfuzzynutz (1112 posts) - - Show Bio

I always saw Cap's shield as one of the greatest weapons in comics, it's mostly used as a defensive tool but Cap also makes it effective offensively as well. Consider no matter what special properties it may have, it is still made of metal, light weight or otherwise.

So I equate that to getting hit with a garbage can lid. By itself it doesn't seem all that grand, but as a blunt object some damage can be done. So Cap can bash you in the face with it, or he can throw it at you and with Cap's strength and fighting ability, that Nerf frisbee will have you seeing stars, pun intended lol

#5 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

noob

#6 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

There's more than vibranium in his shield. It's a unique vibranium/steel alloy that's properties are totally one-of-a-kind.

#7 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13420 posts) - - Show Bio

his current shield is made of uru

#8 Posted by BlackReaper (595 posts) - - Show Bio

It's called a comic book. They're not supposed to make sense.

#9 Posted by batkevin74 (11000 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb said:

Never try to apply real world physics to comic books.

It's true because spider's don't give people powers either @TerrellV13 but I can see how you'd think of questions like that, hell it's what websites like CV are based around. I think that

@Mrfuzzynutz said it best:

I always saw Cap's shield as one of the greatest weapons in comics, it's mostly used as a defensive tool but Cap also makes it effective offensively as well. Consider no matter what special properties it may have, it is still made of metal, light weight or otherwise.

So I equate that to getting hit with a garbage can lid. By itself it doesn't seem all that grand, but as a blunt object some damage can be done. So Cap can bash you in the face with it, or he can throw it at you and with Cap's strength and fighting ability, that Nerf frisbee will have you seeing stars, pun intended lol

#10 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

It is laced with Vibranium it isn't made fully of Vibranium.

#11 Posted by Mr_Ingenuity (7677 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

It is laced with Vibranium it isn't made fully of Vibranium.

These should help.

@Gambit1024 said:

There's more than vibranium in his shield. It's a unique vibranium/steel alloy that's properties are totally one-of-a-kind.

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

his current shield is made of uru

#12 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh yeah, I forgot about the uru. If there's one good thing to have come out of Fear Itself, it'd be that.

#13 Posted by SoA (4945 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about the uru. If there's one good thing to have come out of Fear Itself, it'd be that.
#14 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33951 posts) - - Show Bio

@theTimeStreamer: surprised you knew how to spell that

#15 Posted by TerrellV13 (74 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb: I'm not a rookie, I've been reading comics since I was 5 and I'm 17 now.

#16 Posted by joshmightbe (24946 posts) - - Show Bio

If you'd read up on the Shield you know that it isn't pure vibranium but an adamantium/vibranium alloy

#17 Posted by joshmightbe (24946 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry its a vibranium/Iron alloy not adamantium

#18 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

@TerrellV13: It was a joke.

#19 Posted by TerrellV13 (74 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: I haven't been reading Marvel as of late.

#20 Posted by joshmightbe (24946 posts) - - Show Bio

@TerrellV13: Its never been pure vibranium outside of the movie

#21 Posted by EdBlank (542 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a really good point OP

#22 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7990 posts) - - Show Bio

Let me hit you upside the head with his shield and then tell me that it's harmless.

#23 Posted by PurpleCandy (773 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb said:

Rookie error. Never try to apply real world physics to comic books.

#24 Posted by PurpleCandy (773 posts) - - Show Bio

@TerrellV13:

Because he's the hero America deserves, but not the one it needs right now

#25 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: not surprised to see you being a dick

#26 Posted by War Killer (20343 posts) - - Show Bio
Yup, TOTALLY harmless
#27 Posted by TerrellV13 (74 posts) - - Show Bio

You all seem to be missing my point. All I'm doing is thinking LOGICALLY as to how things might work. Never once did I knock Captain America or his shield, all I'm saying is that in over 70 years, writers never noticed this HUGE plot hole.

#28 Posted by joshmightbe (24946 posts) - - Show Bio

@TerrellV13: Its not a plot hole because your logic is based on a false notion. If it were made of pure vibranium you would have a point but its not and aside from the Movie it never has been. Its an alloy of 2 different metals so while it does have the energy absorbing capabilities of vibranium it also has the properties of Iron (or Uru currently) which is why its useful as a weapon and can do things like ricochet off walls.

#29 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33951 posts) - - Show Bio

@theTimeStreamer said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: not surprised to see you being a dick

ha ironic

#30 Posted by MrShway88 (670 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt: If it is made of pure uru, is it still part or mostly vibranium? Because with the shield now made of uru doesn't that change it's properties and abilities?

#31 Posted by joshmightbe (24946 posts) - - Show Bio

@MrShway88: Uru is magic so I assume they can give it whatever properties they want it to have

#32 Posted by maddpanda (51 posts) - - Show Bio

@TerrellV13: No offence friend, but that is kinda a rookie mistake. An understandable one, of course, if you haven't read any Marvel, but still...

#33 Edited by THORSON (2491 posts) - - Show Bio

its fictional, buddy.

you'd think everyone should be able to lift THOR's hammer or everyone to be a mutant.

#34 Posted by 80sBaby (1347 posts) - - Show Bio

This isn't a plot hole. A plot hole is something that occurs without explanation. It's been explained as a unique blend of vibranium and steel-alloy. After Fear itself, Tony added Uru into the mix. You can't apply real world logic/physiscs here because, in the real world, vibranium doesn't exist so it's impossible to say how it would act.

#35 Edited by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@TerrellV13: As others have said, Captain America's shield is made from a combonation of vibranium and an "unknown steel/iron alloy", and since Fear Itself, uru has also been added into it, though as to what added properties, if any (since none have yet been explored), have yet to be explain other than "It should be even stronger." as stated by the ever informative Tony Stark. So while the shield does absorb vibrations allowing Cap to take hits from say Hulk and Thor without still being turned to dust or goo, or gooey dust, there are limits to it's absorbtion capabilities. Which is why he sometimes still goes flying from hits or blast from people when he isn't expecting them example...

Cap while prepared for Cyclops blast was able to brace for it and even advance on his position.

And if surprised or otherwise caught unaware, and has no time to brace for it he can go flying back by a blast.

These are just two examples. Some other example going both ways are when he want to test his shield and asked Thor to blast it without holding back to which Thor obliged and was able to absorb the powerful blast from Thor without so much as moving, and he was surprised by classic Iron Fist's Iron Fist move that he went flying back.

As for it being able to ricochet, I think that one possibility is the "unknown iron/steel alloy, and now uru, are mostly focused around the edges of the shield allowing it to be thrown and riccochet without loosing any velocity.

This is how I just headcannon it though,

I think the real reason is because writers and artists want to be dramatic in their stories and show suspence and awesomeness. As the two pics above show (I think they're pretty dramatic and awesome anyways).

Also Welcome to the comicvine forums. :-)

#36 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha strong points but you can't use real world logic in comics :P

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.