Black Widow out of place in the Avengers

#1 Edited by tigerkaya (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

I always found Widow out of place in the Avengers. Her genre always fitted better in the spy genre over the superhero. Its like placing James Bond in a horror movie he would be out of place and his strengths involving stealth and his charm would be useless. Now you can make the argument she's willing to pull the trigger but now that's redundant now that every member of the Avengers is willing to kill. So her involvement with the team seems pointless. Now as a guest star to the Avengers I can buy but a recurring member, no she's better at being a solo hero.

#2 Edited by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

I always found Widow out of place in the Avengers. Her genre always fitted better in the spy genre over the superhero. Its like placing James Bond in a horror movie he would be out of place and his strengths involving stealth would while using his charm would be useless. Now you can make the argument she's willing to pull the trigger but now that's redundant now that every member of the Avengers is willing to kill. So her involvement with the team seems pointless. Now as a guest star to the Avengers I can buy but a recurring member, no she's better at being a solo hero.

I agree. She's a cool character but needs to go hang out with shield or street levelers. Natasha has a specific skillset that's not gonna do her any justice if she has to face someone with the power of the Surfer.

#3 Posted by tigerkaya (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74: Powers are a different matter I could have easily said Captain America, Hawkeye and a many other non powered heroes didn't belong to the Avengers but I'm referring to the fact that Natasha comes from the spy genre. She comes across out of place when her whole background and character is secrecy. Placing her on a public team like the Avengers that make constant appearance in the public media is counter productive to the genre she's from.

#4 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap and Hawkeye are in a different, class I don't agree that she's in there category. Cap is enhanced, but he's the inspiration, Hawkeye is the guy that won't quit, she's just a bad fit and I've always felt this. It's really a matter of what she brings to the table, and I have to say in the years that I've read the Avengers, I can't say it's something not really noticeable. She's almost like a piece of furniture in the background, you pay attention to it or not.

#5 Posted by Oscars94 (2266 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that she fit very well on this team.

#6 Posted by tigerkaya (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

Well movie is different, but in the comics she seems out of her place. After all she deals in stealth and espionage not battling super villains in broad daylight it compromises who she is.

#7 Edited by IllyanaRasputin (1088 posts) - - Show Bio

Totally agree with this. Right now I'm enjoying her being part of the Secret Avengers with Hawkeye and fellow SHIELD agents Mockingbird and Coulson. It definitely fits her character better. As for her being part of the Avengers team in general. I don't know, I'm not a fan - she's not a "Superhero" she's a spy and a SHIELD agent, writers should keep her more into that scene.

#8 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4171 posts) - - Show Bio

@tigerkaya: I think I know what you mean. I really like the idea of her being a character who's associated with the Avengers (she's in their stories sometimes,sometimes they're in hers) but not a regular or even public member of the team. It just doesn't really fit.

That said, I do think she was good for the movie team.

#9 Posted by Ellie_Knightfall (4818 posts) - - Show Bio

@tigerkaya: I think I know what you mean. I really like the idea of her being a character who's associated with the Avengers (she's in their stories sometimes,sometimes they're in hers) but not a regular or even public member of the team. It just doesn't really fit.

That said, I do think she was good for the movie team.

I agree with this post.

#10 Posted by lorex (939 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree she seems out of place with the Avengers and would probable fit in more with a more spy centric outfit, like SHIELD. The problem is as long as the Widow is on the big screen we will be getting a full dose of her in the comics no matter how little sence it make for her to be there. Personally I would have much rather seen Wasp, Captain Marvel or Scarlet Witch in the bigscreen version.

#11 Posted by THORSON (2300 posts) - - Show Bio

no.

they just made her kind of soft compared to the comics. they were more worried about making her sexy than making her as great as the comics.

she was my least favourite of the movie.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.