Awesome Toy Picks: Lego Avengers - Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout

Posted by G-Man (34123 posts) - - Show Bio

Each week we select a cool comic book related collectible item and take a good hands on look at it. With so many different items and a range in prices, we try to give you the information you'll want to know before picking it up for yourself.

This week's look has to do with a little movie being released called The Avengers. Whenever there's a comic book related movie released, we can count on related merchandise hitting the store shelves. There is an abundance of Avengers-related items but I was overjoyed when it was first announced that we'd be getting LEGO Avengers products. The first we'll take a look at for now is 'Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout.'

As you can see, this set contains 389 pieces. This may be almost half of the other Avengers set but there is quite a bit to put together that will keep you busy. When I first saw this, I thought the description and theme of the set was interesting. Why would Hulk be attacking Hawkeye? Aren't they both part of this team of Avengers? This can be seen on the front and the back.

== TEASER ==

Because the production of this had to have started well in advance of its release, perhaps they just came up with some sort of strange scenario. For those that haven't seen the movie yet, you'll see if there's any rhyme or reason to this. What is cool is how the Hulk figure is larger than the rest. He may not be an exact "LEGO" figure but he looks cool with the rest (there is a limited edition regular size that will be available on LEGO's website in May).

Check out what those 389 pieces look like out of the box.

But there's no need to worry. The instruction manual (which you'll see a picture of later with Hulk's assistance) is super easy to follow.

Because I was thrilled with the idea of having a LEGO Hawkeye (even if I'm not totally crazy about the new costume), I thought we'd take a look at him and the SHIELD jet.

When we get "inside" the helicarrier, you can see Loki is in SHIELD custody.

The detail inside is pretty cool. There's plenty of monitors and screens, some require the application of stickers. But you can really see how not only is Loki in custody, his scepter has been secured as well.

Of course because Hulk is such a large figure, he tends to get a little angry if he doesn't get enough camera time.

There is a little button behind the monitors that will enable Loki to escape. Be careful when you're not around because Loki will make a move for his scepter if you're not watching.

Here's that look at the instruction manual and the mini-comic (check out LEGO Iron Fist and Doc Ock!).

As cool as the helicarrier is, the real stars are the actual LEGO figures themselves. Here's a close shot of each figure included.

That's it for this week. I do have the other Avengers LEGO I still need to assemble. We'll see if they get spotlighted next week or if you guys need a break from Avengers and LEGO.

Staff
#1 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, I'm not nearly as big into LEGOS as I once was, but this is pretty neat!

#2 Posted by kamionero (313 posts) - - Show Bio

So many pieces!!! I still get the urge to put the clear ones in my mouth...

#3 Posted by Deadcool (6810 posts) - - Show Bio

I WANT IT!!!

I love LEGOS...

#4 Posted by Pavan1p (1 posts) - - Show Bio

In one word i would call this crap. The DC legos look way better, especially the batman ones.

#5 Posted by thechessclub (503 posts) - - Show Bio

The special Hulk limited edition (minifigure sized) minifigure is available for free when you spend $75 in Lego Stores between the 15th to the end of May. While supplies last though...

#6 Posted by MagmaGazer (108 posts) - - Show Bio

At first I was disinclined to get this set....but now I'm considering otherwise.

#7 Posted by The_Peter_Cosmic (401 posts) - - Show Bio
!As you can see, this set contains 389 pieces.

You're really overestimating my counting skills :p

#8 Posted by TheMadMonkey (148 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor and Hawkeye come with 2 expressions...?

#9 Posted by luke_kerridge (142 posts) - - Show Bio

Good toy pick. Lego's getting too expensive nowadays and there's so much I want. The Batman, Avengers, Star Wars, Cars are so cool. They have a sort of, Bionicle collection of the Avengers as well.

#10 Posted by AirDave817 (813 posts) - - Show Bio

Totally awesome!

#11 Posted by TheWalkingComicbookfan (24 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome set, I'm considering getting this, even though I haven't brought lego in years! I wish it wasn't so much money though....

#12 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7818 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha! love it

#13 Posted by Mandrewgora (296 posts) - - Show Bio

I love that Thor Mini fig.

#14 Posted by revbucky (306 posts) - - Show Bio

Legos + Marvel comics = fun!

#15 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

isnt this a bit of a spoiler for people who havent seen the movie yet??

eh... maybe Im overthinking it.

Cool set though! Makes me wish I was into Legos again!

#16 Posted by ChrisTobin (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Whoa! Why is there a lego of Drew cosplaying as Thor?

#17 Posted by thanosrules (546 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome. I have to make room for this in my collection! :D

#18 Posted by Don_Jay (61 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait to get this set, but the firs one will be Wilverine's chopper showdown that has DEADPOOL in it (finally :D ). BWT Spoiler:

After seeing the movie the sets make perfect sense compared to the story, and this actually happens in the movie. Banner hulks out and there's a fight on the helicarrier.

#19 Posted by wmwadeii (3249 posts) - - Show Bio

@Don_Jay: Saw these at Walmart and had to keep myself from buying them. Needed to save my gift cards for something else. I only saw some of the Avengers didn't see the Wolverine or other Marvel LEGOs. Not sure if they just hadn't been release or sold out already.

#20 Posted by Don_Jay (61 posts) - - Show Bio

@wmwadeii: Well, from what I know they might be released a bit later, since the main theme of the Marvel LEGOs is The Avengers so I think it's safe to assume that the main focus is on that (especially since there's only 2 sets not related to the Avengers movie). Plus for me it's a little different since I'm writing from Europe, so we don't have Walmarts :D

#21 Posted by TheHood (155 posts) - - Show Bio

I bought this set yesterday, its really neat. Also, I was happily surprised to find out it came with a brick separator!

#22 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

OH MY GOODNESS! THAT"S SO GROSS! It's like Sam Peckinpah directed this. I'm going to be sick.

#23 Posted by CitizenJP (597 posts) - - Show Bio

Lego Thor ftw.

#24 Posted by Mucklefluga (2563 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd but this but it's too expensive for me :( its like the only one with Thor :( YAY they're bringing back Lego Spider-man

#25 Posted by Blizaga101 (933 posts) - - Show Bio

Puny god... :D

#26 Posted by Tellumo (511 posts) - - Show Bio

Y'know if you've seen the film you question that they adapted this scene into a childrens toy.

#27 Posted by DarthOrange (13 posts) - - Show Bio

@thechessclub said:

The special Hulk limited edition (minifigure sized) minifigure is available for free when you spend $75 in Lego Stores between the 15th to the end of May. While supplies last though...

Actually you only need to spend $50 between May 16-31.

If you spend $75 May 4-5 you get that Chrome TC-14.

http://thebrickblogger.com/2012/04/lego-chrome-tc-14-hulk-minifig-promos/

#28 Posted by wmwadeii (3249 posts) - - Show Bio

My only issue when I saw them in the store is the overlap of the characters. Depending what set you bought you could end up with 3 or 4 of them.

#29 Posted by GothamRed (2563 posts) - - Show Bio

lego has marvel now, nice, hope a game is made

#30 Posted by deskp (38 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by Sammo21 (694 posts) - - Show Bio

I bought the Captain America motocycle one the other day. I'd like to get them all, if I can, as I already acquired all of the mini muggs.

#32 Posted by Mortacai (39 posts) - - Show Bio

Ill wait until I can get the free mini hulk.

#33 Posted by TheMinister707 (103 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone should make a similar video with the Hulk. :O

#34 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha this is so cool... LEGO HULK MAD! XD

#35 Posted by THEBATFoE (110 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pavan1p: Yes they do,I dont realy like the HULK design. What About you?

#36 Posted by ravisher (690 posts) - - Show Bio

spoiler...no srs..kinda

#37 Edited by thechessclub (503 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheHood said:

I bought this set yesterday, its really neat. Also, I was happily surprised to find out it came with a brick separator!

The new orange on too, huh?=] The larger set comes with one as well

#38 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheMinister707 said:

Someone should make a similar video with the Hulk. :O

This is exactly how Cap used to be in the 1940's.

#39 Posted by clemj (817 posts) - - Show Bio

@wmwadeii: I got the wolverine set but they might have been sold out yeah...

#40 Posted by Purgatory (37 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope the way they pose the figures aren't freaking spoilers for the movie!

#41 Posted by Zyeike (7 posts) - - Show Bio

LEGOs are still of the best toys in existence today. they let your imagination run free

#42 Posted by KidSupreme (829 posts) - - Show Bio

Great now I wanna buy it for myself lol

#43 Posted by omnomnomtacos (6 posts) - - Show Bio

My son is going to love these. He LOVES the Hulk. I wonder if they will do/have done any lego Spiderman?

To google I will go.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.