Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7702 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Avengers: What happened to the honor?

• 126 results
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Gambit1024

Note that this is my personal opinion. You don't agree? That's fine. Don't be rude and bash.

I think it's safe to assume that the Avengers are the Marvel equivalent to DC's JLA. In both organizations, if a superhero wanted to be a part of them, they'd have to prove themselves worthy to be on the team. I believe the JLA even takes video auditions. The Avengers, however, have been taking just about anyone for the team now.

No Caption Provided

Recall in the late 1990's when it was Heroes Reborn. Now that the Avengers were back (Cap, Thor, Iron Man, etc.) there was this big controversy over who would be in the new lineup. Literally everyone who's been an Avenger was in the Mansion, but only a handful would be picked for the new roster. They actually had interviews on why they wanted to be on the team, and what they can contribute. It's a very orderly procedure, and only the worthy characters were allowed in.

No Caption Provided

Flashforward to today's Avengers, and just about everybody and their mother is on the team now. Since Avengers: Disassembled, characters like Luke Cage, Wolverine, Dr. Strange, Thing, Daredevil, Red Hulk, Jessica Jones, Noh-Varr, Valkyrie, etc. have been allowed to join the ranks, and I think it's kind of unfair. Sure, the Thing and Daredevil are worthy enough to stand next to the likes of Thor and Cap, but seriously? Jessica Jones, Valkyrie, Red Hulk, and Noh-Varr? What have they done that certifies them on the team? What makes them honorable enough to call themselves Avengers, a title that meant much more than it used to?

Have there been less than honorable members on the team? Sure. Starfox, Dr. Druid, and Two-Gun-Kid come to mind, but it seems that ever since the events of Avengers: Disassembled, anyone who could put on tights was eligible for joining the team. You'd think to avoid another Scarlet Witch fiasco, they'd be a bit more picky on who'd be allowed in Avengers Mansion.

Basically what I'm getting at is there's the Navy, then there's the Navy Seals. Everyone in the Navy is great in their own right, but are they all good enough to be Seals? No way. They earn that spot. User Shadow_Thief actually had some good criteria that would allow members on the team: Requiring a sponsorship from an existing member, an extensive interview process, and a probationary period.

What's your stance? Are all these current Avengers good enough to be on the team? Which ones deserve a shot and which ones should be kicked off? What would you do to make the Avengers more organized?

Edited to address issues you may have felt confusing.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By PowerHerc

Great points. You're right.

Jessica Jones and Noh-Varr aren't good enough. Red Hulk and, formerly, Ares aren't worthy at all.

It seems like Marvel just wants to expand the Avengers comic-line and to this end needed more heroes to fill rosters and thus allowed some inappropriate characters to become members.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Mega_spidey01

i' don't mind see new people become avengers. it makes seen interesting otherwise i go read justice league lineup because their so freakin boring and predictable.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iLLituracy

What would you have them do to prove their worthiness, though?

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @iLLituracy said:
    What would you have them do to prove their worthiness, though?
    Good question.
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By ReVamp

Red Hulk isn't worthy.

I think Noh-Varr is about as worthy as Captain Marvel.

Jessica Jones I don't mind really seeing.

Luke Cage definitely should have his spot.

MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By MrUnknown

The Sentry wasn't worthy either. But a lot of character became Avengers when the situation like the Registration Act and Dark Avengers called for it. Now I think they should reduce the number of teams by at least 1 and change to an all-star roster.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iLLituracy

I still don't know what the hell "worthy" is. The Avengers may be flagship when it comes to teams, but I never saw them as elitists, really.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By joshmightbe
    this happened
    this happened
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#10  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

whats wrong with Luke? how in any way is he not honorable enough to be an Avenger? same with Jewel?

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@MrUnknown said:

The Sentry wasn't worthy either. But a lot of character became Avengers when the situation like the Registration Act and Dark Avengers called for it. Now I think they should reduce the number of teams by at least 1 and change to an all-star roster.

this

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Billy Batson

What is this honor that you speak of?
    BB

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

and aren't the Avenger kind of known for turning less-than-model-citizens into heroes

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By joshmightbe

there's actually a long list of former villains turned Avengers

Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Vision, Swordsman, Black Widow,Wonder man just to name a few

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@joshmightbe said:

there's actually a long list of former villains turned Avengers

Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Vision, Swordsman, Black Widow,Wonder man just to name a few

exactly

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By joshmightbe

@Avenging-X-Bolt: alot of those former villains are now considered some of the greatest Avengers

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#17  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I was with you until you started dissing Noh-Varr, thats a deal braker for me

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By joshmightbe

There have been around 130 Avengers what time period was it exactly when they were so picky?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By daredevil21134

@joshmightbe said:

this happened
    this happened

LOL so true

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gambit1024

Basically, what I'm getting at is there is the Navy, and then there's Navy Seals. Are the people in the Navy good at what they do? Absolutely. Are they all good enough to be Seals? No. They have to earn their spot. That's how I used to see the team, but now the amount of people on it are either misplaced or just not good enough.

@Mega_spidey01: I agree, change-ups are always good, but the roster should just have the right people on it.

@iLLituracy: Well back then, members would vote other heroes in or they'd vouch for a character who they felt deserves a spot on the team.

@ReVamp: What exactly has Luke Cage done that earns him a spot on the roster? Also, why should he leading his own Avengers team? Ms. Marvel's on that team and she's way more suitable for that role than he is.

@MrUnknown: I agree. Personally, I'd have one All-Star team and one Black Ops team.

@joshmightbe: You're so right. It's really because of him that I started this up.

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Sure, the Avengers have made heroes out of Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Vision, and Quicksilver, but they all respectively earned their place on there. Now, did some of them screw that up? Sure, but at least they got there by earning it.

@spiderbat87: Sorry. But if it makes you feel better, I think he's more than capable of earning his spot. The only reason I don't think he belongs right now is that he hasn't really done much to help the innocence. I really do think he will get there, but I think it's still too early in his career to be a full-time Avenger.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Gambit1024 said:

Basically, what I'm getting at is there is the Navy, and then there's Navy Seals. Are the people in the Navy good at what they do? Absolutely. Are they all good enough to be Seals? No. They have to earn their spot. That's how I used to see the team, but now the amount of people on it are either misplaced or just not good enough.

@Mega_spidey01: I agree, change-ups are always good, but the roster should just have the right people on it.

@iLLituracy: Well back then, members would vote other heroes in or they'd vouch for a character who they felt deserves a spot on the team.

@ReVamp: What exactly has Luke Cage done that earns him a spot on the roster? Also, why should he leading his own Avengers team? Ms. Marvel's on that team and she's way more suitable for that role than he is.

@MrUnknown: I agree. Personally, I'd have one All-Star team and one Black Ops team.

@joshmightbe: You're so right. It's really because of him that I started this up.

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Sure, the Avengers have made heroes out of Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Vision, and Quicksilver, but they all respectively earned their place on there. Now, did some of them screw that up? Sure, but at least they got there by earning it.

@spiderbat87: Sorry. But if it makes you feel better, I think he's more than capable of earning his spot. The only reason I don't think he belongs right now is that he hasn't really done much to help the innocence. I really do think he will get there, but I think it's still too early in his career to be a full-time Avenger.

really? i read the issue what had Clint, Wanda, and Pietro done?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Characters are only as good as the writers make them out to be and what better forum to do that than the Avengers. Who would you have on the team?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gambit1024

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Clint saved Iron Man and he vouched for Clint to join the team. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver proved that they were done with the Brotherhood and they wanted to reform. Cap vouched for their spots.

@spiderbat87: Me? I'd have Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Hawkeye, Thing, Ms. Marvel, and Black Panther on at the moment.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iLLituracy

@Gambit1024: And most of the current Avengers have been vouched for. Luke Cage, Wolverine, Sentry, Spider-Man were all spoken highly of by Captain America with Wolverine being the only one that Iron Man had a problem with joining the team. Red Hulk was brought in by Steve, Echo was suggested by Daredevil, Noh-Varr was brought in by Steve and was convinced by Iron Man and the Illuminati to be a better person.

I don't know what credentials you're looking for when it comes to who can join the Avengers.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Gambit1024 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Clint saved Iron Man and he vouched for Clint to join the team. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver proved that they were done with the Brotherhood and they wanted to reform. Cap vouched for their spots.

ok......so really nothing. they got in on good faith as did Luke. Im sure Luke has done one or two heroic things in his 30 something year career that surpasses a little bit of good faith.

@spiderbat87: Me? I'd have Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Hawkeye, Thing, Ms. Marvel, and Black Panther on at the moment.

id read that

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gambit1024

@iLLituracy: Steve may have spoken highly of them, but the readers have never been given solid evidence on what exactly they've done. Luke is on the team simply because he was at the right place at the right time. Spider-Man was given honorary membership before the New Avengers even formed up. Wolverine is on the team because Cap decided that the Avengers need a "killer instinct" after the events of Disassembled. Steve made Red Hulk and Noh-Varr Avengers for the same reason he made Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver Avengers. You got me on Echo, I don't know anything about her.

I don't have any credentials, but that's up to the writers. And right now, Bendis thinks just about anyone who puts on tights can be on the team. I just don't feel that way.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gambit1024

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Fair enough. I'm sorry I've been giving Luke a hard time about it, but when he and all the others from the Raft breakout joined the team, it opened the door to just about everyone who was at the right place at the right time. I think the road to being an Avenger should just be a bit of a harder one to get on, that's all.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Gambit1024 said:

ok......so really nothing. they got in on good faith as did Luke. Im sure Luke has done one or two heroic things in his 30 something year career that surpasses a little bit of good faith.

id read that

I hate the idea of The Thing being on the team
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gambit1024

@spiderbat87: Why?

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Gambit1024 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Fair enough. I'm sorry I've been giving Luke a hard time about it, but when he and all the others from the Raft breakout joined the team, it opened the door to just about everyone who was at the right place at the right time. I think the road to being an Avenger should just be a bit of a harder one to get on, that's all.

agreed. Bendis really could have done a lot better by all of these characters in all respects

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By iLLituracy

@Gambit1024 said:

@iLLituracy: Steve may have spoken highly of them, but the readers have never been given solid evidence on what exactly they've done. Luke is on the team simply because he was at the right place at the right time. Spider-Man was given honorary membership before the New Avengers even formed up. Wolverine is on the team because Cap decided that the Avengers need a "killer instinct" after the events of Disassembled. Steve made Red Hulk and Noh-Varr Avengers for the same reason he made Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver Avengers. You got me on Echo, I don't know anything about her.

I don't have any credentials, but that's up to the writers. And right now, Bendis thinks just about anyone who puts on tights can be on the team. I just don't feel that way.

The basis of the Avengers, as seen in the initial issue by Stan Lee and again in New Avengers along with a number of other Avengers crossovers and mini-series--that's the basis for the team. Being in the right place at the right time, facing a foe that no one hero can face alone. The original Avengers came together not because they were chosen by one another to be a team or vouched for one another, but because they were pulled together to face a foe.

That situation at the raft that had the New Avengers.

Bendis isn't exactly wrong when it comes to anyone with tights being able to join the Avengers. The Avengers are hardly an exclusive team. Yes, it's host to the finest heroes, but I don't see why you don't think Luke Cage and others aren't worthy of their spots on the team. While they aren't my personal favorites or ideal members, I don't see why they don't really belong on the team, either.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Gambit1024 said:

@spiderbat87: Why?

Because he is a fantastic four/future foundation character he shouldn't be on any avengers team 
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Gambit1024

@Avenging-X-Bolt: I know.

Luke is a good hero in his own right, but Bendis never had him do anything that made him worthy to lead his own team. At least Fraction had Luke take some sort of stand in Fear Itself.

Spider-Man was already an honorary member before the Raft breakout, but it was really Dan Slott that made me realize how much he should be on the team.

Wolverine, to me, is certainly worthy of being an Avenger, but with all the sh*t going on in the X-Men world, him being on the team just doesn't sit well with me. He should be with his fellow mutants in their time of need, not making jokes with Spider-Man in Avengers Mansion.

Those are just a few, I could go on and on.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gambit1024

@iLLituracy: But since the original Avengers team formed, they've evolved into a huge team that featured some of the best superheroes on it. By the 80's and 90's, it was the team to be on if you truly wanted to make a difference, and the characters on those rosters then certainly earned their right to be there. The rag-tag "we're a team even though we all don't disagree" thing is the Defenders' shtick. I don't think the Avengers should be that way.

I just don't know how to put it any other way: If you want to be an Avenger, fine, but you have to earn that. So agree to disagree?

@spiderbat87: So you feel that if a hero's already on one team, they can't be on the Avengers? Try telling that to Wolverine. He's on like 5, lol.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By daredevil21134

@Gambit1024 said:

What about DD

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By joshmightbe

So are you seriously saying Dman, Starfox,2 gun kid, Dr. Druid, and Stingray, have a place on the avengers but Luke doesn't. Seriously aside from being Thanos' little brother what has Starfox done to be more worthy than Luke Cage?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Gambit1024

@daredevil21134 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

What about DD

I'd put him on as well, but wouldn't you think it'd be better for him to form the Marvel Knights? Cause if I had a chance to do anything as a writer for Marvel, DD leading the Marvel Knights would be at the top of the list.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By daredevil21134

@Gambit1024 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

What about DD

I'd put him on as well, but wouldn't you think it'd be better for him to form the Marvel Knights? Cause if I had a chance to do anything as a writer for Marvel, DD leading the Marvel Knights would be at the top of the list.

Agreed

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Gambit1024 said:

@iLLituracy: But since the original Avengers team formed, they've evolved into a huge team that featured some of the best superheroes on it. By the 80's and 90's, it was the team to be on if you truly wanted to make a difference, and the characters on those rosters then certainly earned their right to be there. The rag-tag "we're a team even though we all don't disagree" thing is the Defenders' shtick. I don't think the Avengers should be that way.

I just don't know how to put it any other way: If you want to be an Avenger, fine, but you have to earn that. So agree to disagree?

@spiderbat87: So you feel that if a hero's already on one team, they can't be on the Avengers? Try telling that to Wolverine. He's on like 5, lol.

Yea if you have a team you should just stick to that 

@Gambit1024 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

What about DD

Now that I agree with
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Gambit1024 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: I know.

Luke is a good hero in his own right, but Bendis never had him do anything that made him worthy to lead his own team. At least Fraction had Luke take some sort of stand in Fear Itself.

Spider-Man was already an honorary member before the Raft breakout, but it was really Dan Slott that made me realize how much he should be on the team.

Wolverine, to me, is certainly worthy of being an Avenger, but with all the sh*t going on in the X-Men world, him being on the team just doesn't sit well with me. He should be with his fellow mutants in their time of need, not making jokes with Spider-Man in Avengers Mansion.

Those are just a few, I could go on and on.

QFUT.

though to be completely honest, id rather have Luke back with Heroes For Hire and DD leading the Marvel Knights or simply The Knights as i would call them

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Gambit1024

@joshmightbe said:

So are you seriously saying Dman, Starfox,2 gun kid, Dr. Druid, and Stingray, have a place on the avengers but Luke doesn't. Seriously aside from being Thanos' little brother what has Starfox done to be more worthy than Luke Cage?

Ok, some a bit more obscure than others, so let me correct myself by saying MOST of them earned their spot to be there. And give D-Man a break. He tries.

@spiderbat87: Fair enough. If you want to be an Avenger, you need to be alert at all times. Meaning no other current memberships. I'll get behind that.

@Avenging-X-Bolt: I think Heroes for Hire has branched off into its own thing, so I think Luke would fit in perfectly with the Kinghts. DD, Elektra, Cage, Iron Fist, Black Panther, Spider-Man, Punisher, Moon Knight, and Black Widow would be ideal choices for that team.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By joshmightbe

@Gambit1024: So you're saying even before this so called loss of honor not every avenger deserved to be on the team? Cause if so that kind of takes away from your argument here

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Gambit1024

@joshmightbe: I'm saying most of the members deserved to be on the team. Now more than ever, however, it appears that a lot more members on the team right now don't (to me, anyway).

muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#44  Edited By muhabba

We're talking about a team that had D-Man on it. The only qualifiction to be on the Avengers has always just been, wanting to be on the Avengers. They've had the upper level heroes, reformed villians, and D-Man. The history of the Avengers is that they will take anyone.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By joshmightbe

@Gambit1024: But virtually every major and many minor Marvel characters have been avengers at some point including people who've done next to nothing to earn a place and some such as Quicksilver( who Cap vouched for) have gone on to do some truly horrible things since they became Avengers.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Gambit1024

@muhabba: Why the hate on D-Man?

@joshmightbe: I addressed that a few posts ago. There are good eggs and bad eggs, but they've done there share of good while on the team. Didn't Quicksilver play a big role in helping the team during the Kree/Skrull War?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By joshmightbe

@Gambit1024: Yes but after that he pretty much goaded Scarlet Witch into the whole house of M thing which lead to the decimation that caused thousands of death and then pretty much started a war between Earth and the Inhumans to cover his own ass and then refused to take any personal blame for his actions even going so far as hoping on the whole skrulls did it band wagon which his daughter pointed out was bullsh*t and there's the fact that he's the second biggest douche bag in Marvel history that makes even Doom seem humble in comparison

Lonestar88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Lonestar88

@Gambit1024
    Who and who didn't "earn" a spot on the avengers is a totally arbitrary idea. What did Hawkeye, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch do, that Luke Cage didn't? People vouched for Luke Cage too.  

I think this is more of a case of you just not liking certain characters on the team, and you are using the term "earn" to justify who you want and don't want on the Avengers.

There are plenty of people who would argue that Cage earned his spot and Quicksilver, Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch did not and their point would be just as valid as yours. It's completely based on opinion, there is no real measure or definition of who and who didn't "earn" a spot.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By joshmightbe

@Lonestar88: I think Quicksilver invalidated anything he did to earn his spot a while ago

Lonestar88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Lonestar88
    @joshmightbe
    I Agree.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.