Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7699 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Avengers Recommendations?

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

I'm far from rookie when it comes to comics. Yet, I'm not well versed in the Avengers history since I mainly read X-Men when I was younger. What do you think I should check out?

This is what I've read so far...

Many Iron Man books from the early 80's.

Most of Force Works if that counts for anything.

The first 12 issues of Kurt Busiek & Perez's Avengers. And many of the solo Avengers books out at that time.

All of Hickman's current run.

The rest is random issues. I'm interested in anything Byrne has done. So maybe West Coast Avengers?

What do you recommend?

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

West Coast Avengers sounds like a good choice. It's good throughout from what I've read(most of the collected editions available), and as you're interested in John Byrne, Vision Quest and Darker Than Scarlet would probably be ideal.

Are you interested in any particular members of the Avengers? I could probably recommend more specifically if you are.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By knighthood

West Coast Avengers sounds like a good choice. It's good throughout from what I've read(most of the collected editions available), and as you're interested in John Byrne, Vision Quest and Darker Than Scarlet would probably be ideal.

Are you interested in any particular members of the Avengers? I could probably recommend more specifically if you are.

I'm more of an Iron Man guy. Wonder Man, Beast and She Hulk are also members I'm interested in reading more about.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knighthood: West Coast is a good place to read Wonder Man, as I think he might be in all but a few issues of the series, with some good moments for him. Him and Beast are around in The Korvac Saga, which seems to be considered somewhat of a classic Avengers story, so it could be worth a read. The Bride Of Ultron and Nights Of Wundagore feature the two of them as well, though I read them in Pocketbooks which might only be available in the U.K., so if you're somewhere else, the books of the same names may have slightly different issues included.

As for She-Hulk, The Trial Of Yellowjacket might be worth a read, as she joins roughly half way through, and it's a good story anyway. Assault On Olympus has her too.

There's definitely more books with these characters in them, but I can't necessarily recommend stuff I haven't read.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knighthood: I would definitely continue Busiek's run. Some of my favorite Avengers stories are in that run with Ultron Unlimited, Nefaria Protocols and Kang Dynasty.

Under Siege is considered by many as the best Avengers story of all time. It is about the Masters of Evil taking over the Avengers mansion.

Avengers Forever is another one of my favorites. It was also written by Busiek and covers much of the history of the Avengers while telling a great story.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knighthood:

West Coast is a good place to read Wonder Man, as I think he might be in all but a few issues of the series, with some good moments for him. Him and Beast are around in The Korvac Saga, which seems to be considered somewhat of a classic Avengers story, so it could be worth a read. The Bride Of Ultron and Nights Of Wundagore feature the two of them as well, though I read them in Pocketbooks which might only be available in the U.K., so if you're somewhere else, the books of the same names may have slightly different issues included.

As for She-Hulk, The Trial Of Yellowjacket might be worth a read, as she joins roughly half way through, and it's a good story anyway. Assault On Olympus has her too.

There's definitely more books with these characters in them, but I can't necessarily recommend stuff I haven't read.

Korvac Saga. That's something I've kept hearing about but never read. Thanks for the recommendations.

@knighthood: I would definitely continue Busiek's run. Some of my favorite Avengers stories are in that run with Ultron Unlimited, Nefaria Protocols and Kang Dynasty.

Under Siege is considered by many as the best Avengers story of all time. It is about the Masters of Evil taking over the Avengers mansion.

Avengers Forever is another one of my favorites. It was also written by Busiek and covers much of the history of the Avengers while telling a great story.

Thanks! I've bolded everything I'm hoping to read (+West Coast Avengers). I just came back from the comic shop with a few more copies from Busiek's run plus a "The Coming of the Beast" hard cover. The Beast book is probably not the best around, but I couldn't help myself.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would go on with Busieks Avengers. Its my favorite Marvel series.

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By tikhunt

If you like Wondeman he is in the Uncanny Avengers on going and it is quite good in my opinion.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@tikhunt said:

If you like Wondeman he is in the Uncanny Avengers on going and it is quite good in my opinion.

yeah, if you haven't read Uncanny Avengers, I'd recommend checking it out. It's got really great, classic style characters and stories.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tikhunt said:

yeah, if you haven't read Uncanny Avengers, I'd recommend checking it out. It's got really great, classic style characters and stories.

Oh, I forgot to mention that since it feels like an X-book to me. I'm also reading Avengers Arena and have been reading Young Avengers until recently.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By spider11211

@tikhunt said:

I agree and I would also pick up all of the West coast avengers (that was a fun read).

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By oldnightcrawler

I agree and I would also pick up all of the West coast Avengers (that was a fun read).

that was a fun read. I found the series a bit inconsistent, overall, but I think I still liked it more than the regular Avengers at the time.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By tg1982

@cap10nate said:

Avengers Forever and Under Siege are two of my favorite Avengers books. I haven't read Ultron Unlimited, Nefaria Protocols or Kang Dynasty are they done by Busiek as well?

@knighthood said:

I'm far from rookie when it comes to comics. Yet, I'm not well versed in the Avengers history since I mainly read X-Men when I was younger. What do you think I should check out?

This is what I've read so far...

Many Iron Man books from the early 80's.

Most of Force Works if that counts for anything.

The first 12 issues of Kurt Busiek & Perez's Avengers. And many of the solo Avengers books out at that time.

All of Hickman's current run.

The rest is random issues. I'm interested in anything Byrne has done. So maybe West Coast Avengers?

What do you recommend?

You could try Avengers Supreme Justice, by Busiek, but you may have already read it, it might have been in his first 12 issues.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tg1982 said:

You could try Avengers Supreme Justice, by Busiek, but you may have already read it, it might have been in his first 12 issues.

I think I have read already. I'd have to double check on the Quicksilver issue, but I'm almost certain I have every issue in that trade.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Other trades to check out of the Avengers is Operation Galactic Storm, Kree/Skrull War and Knights of Wundagore

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SS, BRB, GR, Blue Marvel, Alpha Flight and West Coast.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SS, BRB, GR, Blue Marvel, Alpha Flight and West Coast.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.