Avengers proved that not all superhero films should be... "Dark".

#1 Edited by Tyrus (1083 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of non-Marvel lovers, hated the "tone" of Avengers - I'm usually hearing the words "childish" and "unrealistic". Well, if people use childish and unrealistic to describe the Avengers, then that's what it is - Superhero movies have changed ever since... Batman Begins. I didn't intend to mention the film but I needed a reference. Nowadays, directors like to experiment with superhero characters and add a lot more realism to them to fit them in to OUR modern day society - which is good, but the intention of comic books were to show what life would be like if there were people that had superpowers or whatever - One line from an Iron Man comic that I read, was "I don't dream about the future - I create it"- That is the one reason why I love the Iron Man films, because Marvel stuck with how Tony Stark rolls in the comics - This is the same case with Avengers. I usually see MAJORITY DC fans saying "Avengers sucked, Iron Man is so unrealistic" - AND, just to be clear, don't anyone here say "I'm a DC fan and I didn't think Avengers sucked or Iron Man is unrealistic" - because I'm talking about everyone I've seen say that... Look, Marvel Studios has stayed truthful to the creation of superhero movies and I think Avengers really proved that - I even want to see a Justice League movie, but apparently the script is *sigh* dark and gritty just like Batman - Yeah yeah yeah whatever - I don't want to see a Dark Justice League film, I want to see a Justice League film - I think that WB should follow what Marvel did, so superhero films can be turned back to the way they should be - Fun and original. I'm not saying that people are doing the wrong thing by making dark superhero films, but I just don't want to live the next 50 years watching ALL superhero movies with that tone...

#2 Edited by The_Tree (7201 posts) - - Show Bio

I fully agree with you, and I hate when certain movie execs think "Dark and Gritty" equates to success. If the movie requires "Dark and Gritty" for the character, then that's perfectly fine. While I find that superhero films should have some degree of realism, production of a comic book movie should focus on capturing the spirit of the comics and bringing it to the silver screen.

#3 Posted by War Killer (19953 posts) - - Show Bio

It had a "Superhero" tone to it, really. I mean it had a bit of everything, from serious moments, drama, suspense, action. But overall the movie was a SUPERHERO movie at the core. We had heroes going toe-to-toe with one another,  saving the helicarrier from falling out of the sky, huge alien invasion,  stopping a nuclear missile. I mean seriously, the movie literally oozed super-heroics.

I think the whole "dark and gritty" tones work with certain heroes, Batman specifically. Other such as Spider-Man, who's origins involve the death of a loved one, should have a little dark tone in it, but should be balanced with fun-loving wise-cracking tone as well. That's something I think is what makes Marvel movies so enjoyably, as while yes they have some serious moment, the films are balanced with well timed humor and loveable moments that makes you love seeing these characters.

Just like in the comics, "dark and gritty" have their place, but comics are suppose to be fun and you can achieve that in many ways that don't always have to be dark and serious. This is something that I think should be expressed in the movies as well.

#4 Posted by Tyrus (1083 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer: You're right about Spider-Man - from the early reviews I've heard they've said that Marc Webb was able to balance the dark and gritty tone for the character - because as you can imagine, Spider-Man is adored by kids and adults these days, so it would be a shame if they targeted a spider-man film directly at adults leaving the kids out...

#5 Posted by War Killer (19953 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tyrus said:

@War Killer: You're right about Spider-Man - from the early reviews I've heard they've said that Marc Webb was able to balance the dark and gritty tone for the character - because as you can imagine, Spider-Man is adored by kids and adults these days, so it would be a shame if they targeted a spider-man film directly at adults leaving the kids out...

Having played the new game based on the movie, I was very impressed with the sense of humor they gave to Spidey in the game and it's something I hope was translated into the film as well.
#6 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark and gritty movies are for dark and gritty characters: Batman, Daredevil, Punisher, Ghost Rider, etc.

Fun movies are for fun characters: Avengers, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Superman

#7 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5276 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer:I completly agree with you both. While there are many charecter's that could and should take that tone. I am so glad Avengers stayed away from ''Dark and Grity." I watched this movie hoping, yet sadly knowing that this movie might let me down. I am happy to say that my doubts where washed away, because this, like you said, was the ''Ultimate Superhero Movie." You didn't say ultimate, but still. lol

#8 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

It had a "Superhero" tone to it, really. I mean it had a bit of everything, from serious moments, drama, suspense, action. But overall the movie was a SUPERHERO movie at the core. We had heroes going toe-to-toe with one another, saving the helicarrier from falling out of the sky, huge alien invasion, stopping a nuclear missile. I mean seriously, the movie literally oozed super-heroics. I think the whole "dark and gritty" tones work with certain heroes, Batman specifically. Other such as Spider-Man, who's origins involve the death of a loved one, should have a little dark tone in it, but should be balanced with fun-loving wise-cracking tone as well. That's something I think is what makes Marvel movies so enjoyably, as while yes they have some serious moment, the films are balanced with well timed humor and loveable moments that makes you love seeing these characters. Just like in the comics, "dark and gritty" have their place, but comics are suppose to be fun and you can achieve that in many ways that don't always have to be dark and serious. This is something that I think should be expressed in the movies as well.

this right here.

#9 Posted by War Killer (19953 posts) - - Show Bio
@Guardiandevil83 said:

@War Killer:I completly agree with you both. While there are many charecter's that could and should take that tone. I am so glad Avengers stayed away from ''Dark and Grity." I watched this movie hoping, yet sadly knowing that this movie might let me down. I am happy to say that my doubts where washed away, because this, like you said, was the ''Ultimate Superhero Movie." You didn't say ultimate, but still. lol

Avengers truly was the best superhero movie to date.
#10 Posted by NVTHN (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark and Gritty is usually better

#11 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

Enough with the grit! Enough with the dark! Batman holds those as copyrighted ideas! Marvel is fun and enjoyable goofiness. It should stay that way instead of becoming insidious and depressing.

Just the idea of excessive grit and dark in a Marvel film makes me want to take anti-depressants.

#12 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Who cares if its unrealistic? As long as its enjoyable, its good for me.

#13 Posted by KingofMadCows (345 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman isn't that realistic. Come on, a microwave weapon that turns all the water in the city into steam? Not only that but it has no effect on humans, which are composed of around 60% water?

#14 Posted by Twentyfive (2828 posts) - - Show Bio

Not all anything has to be 'dark'. I complained myself in a similar thread about the same thing. Avengers is the best Superhero movie that has come out yet, and it didn't need to be dark, broody, or angsty. Throw all of those tones away into the furnace, if you ask me. I don't know how, but they managed to make Spider-man dark and gritty in the new movie (as well as 3). Spider-Man is the antithesis of dark and gritty.

But the whole comics culture has been encompassed with this whole feeling that dark sells, which just isn't completely true. Fun sells, and will always sell over dark.

#15 Posted by Tyrus (1083 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers is the best superhero movie so far, but when Dark Knight Rises comes out, people who are dark and gritty Batman style fans gonna say something Matthew Modine style - "This was so much better than that kiddy adventure Avengers!" or, something more simple "This movie was so much more realistic than Avengers" - If anyone and I mean ANYONE, says that... Just, please, nobody better say anything like that...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.