Avenger's Movie - i gotta get it off my chest.

#1 Posted by Musedp (79 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure this has been discussed in the forums before, but I couldn't find it.

Let me start off by saying "OMFG AVENGERS MOVIE WOOAAAHHH!! !WOO WOO WOOOO!" and that's coming from the heart :P I'm so excited about this movie its insane! 

In case theres some people who've been living under a rock, here's a bit of info for you! "Nick Fury, director of the peacekeeping organization S.H.I.E.L.D., recruits Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Hawk Eye and Captain America to fight an enemy threatening the world with destruction." Now look doesn't that just sound AMAZING?! its some of the biggest marvel names "assembling" to form our beloved team, The Avengers! BUT!!..(oh yes there's a but.).. *clears throat* where's Ant-Man and the Wasp?.. 

" The first adventure features the Asgardian trickster god, Loki, who seeks revenge against his adopted brother, Thor. Using an illusion, Loki tricks the Hulk into destroying a railroad track. He then diverts a radio call by Rick Jones and the Teen Brigade for help to Thor, whom Loki hopes will battle the Hulk. Unknown to Loki, the radio call is also answered by Ant-Man, the Wasp and Iron Man. After an initial misunderstanding, the heroes unite and defeat Loki. Ant-Man states that the five work well together and suggests they form a combined team against threats that no one hero can deal with. The Wasp names the group "The Avengers." Thus, the Avengers are born." In case you don't know what the heck I'm talking about and wanna see for your self there's the link!
http://www.comicvine.com/the-avengers-the-coming-of-the-avengers/37-6686/
So I can deal with Nick Fury, I can deal with Hawk eye, I can deal with Captain America and all those other changes (after all this is a movie so it's gotta be appealing to a wide range of audiences)..but one thing I'm having a major problem with is simple...why get rid of Ant-Man and the Wasp? They're founders! They're apart of this particular arc, they fought against this particular villain, so why aren't they apart of this movie?! ..If some one could really answer this question or help me understand that'd be great!
#2 Posted by harleyquinn12 (1767 posts) - - Show Bio

Because the people who make these movies like to make us mad. It's their job.
#3 Posted by FearTheLiving (3123 posts) - - Show Bio

They may just play a small part so they didn't want to advertise them or something.

#4 Posted by Musedp (79 posts) - - Show Bio
@FearTheLiving:  If its going to be a cameo or something like that..it better be pretty damn significant! lol
#5 Posted by Kairan1979 (16746 posts) - - Show Bio
@Musedp
because Ant-Man and Wasp work better in cartoons.
#6 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13162 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kairan1979 said:
@Musedp:  because Ant-Man and Wasp work better in cartoons.

yeah, i hate to say it but Hank ad Jan dont traslate well into live action movies
#7 Posted by War Killer (20209 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I'd like to see an Ant-Man movie first and then have him and Wasp pop up in the Avengers sequel. The Avengers movie already has enough characters already and to add more for the sake of fan service would just overcrowd the film. Not to mention that I don't think it would make sense to have character like Cap, Iron Man, Thor, and the Hulk in one big movie and then randomly have a guy who's powers are to shrink and talk to ants come in without any previous mention and be taken seriously.  

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Kairan1979 said:
yeah, i hate to say it but Hank ad Jan dont traslate well into live action movies
We've never seen them translated to live action so how do you know they wouldn't translate well?

Many people thought Thor wouldn't translate and look what happened, just because the character may seem cheesy or lame doesn't mean they can't still be cool. At least give them a chance before you count them out.
#8 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13162 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:
Personally I'd like to see an Ant-Man movie first and then have him and Wasp pop up in the Avengers sequel. The Avengers movie already has enough characters already and to add more for the sake of fan service would just overcrowd the film. Not to mention that I don't think it would make sense to have character like Cap, Iron Man, Thor, and the Hulk in one big movie and then randomly have a guy who's powers are to shrink and talk to ants come in without any previous mention and be taken seriously.  

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
@Kairan1979 said:
We've never seen them translated to live action so how do you know they wouldn't translate well?  Many people thought Thor wouldn't translate and look what happened, just because the character may seem cheesy or lame doesn't mean they can't still be cool. At least give them a chance before you count them out.

you have a point, i should have said that it  hank and jan dont seem like they would translate well into movies. personally thor was a bit of a dissapointment to me.
#9 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

Hank is getting his own movie in 2013 but as for Janet, Edgar Wright has not mentioned her. When the sequel to The Avengers is made (There will be a sequel, I'm sure of it),  Hank will be a member of the team as his movie will have been made by then. If the Black Panther film ever gets made then he'll likely become a member as well.

#10 Posted by FearTheLiving (3123 posts) - - Show Bio
@CrimsonAvenger said:
Hank is getting his own movie in 2013 but as for Janet, Edgar Wright has not mentioned her. When the sequel to The Avengers is made (There will be a sequel, I'm sure of it),  Hank will be a member of the team as his movie will have been made by then. If the Black Panther film ever gets made then he'll likely become a member as well.
I don't think you can have an Ant-Man film without Jan, not like she needs her own movies as well.
#11 Posted by cattlebattle (12779 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:
We've never seen them translated to live action so how do you know they wouldn't translate well?  Many people thought Thor wouldn't translate and look what happened, just because the character may seem cheesy or lame doesn't mean they can't still be cool. At least give them a chance before you count them out.
Not to sound snide, but people thought Fantastic Four would translate badly.....and look what happened

I think some powers just look cheesy on screen, namely the F4s (not all) and Giant Man and Wasps. If they handled it correctly it could look good, I don't know what avenues you could take to make them look plausible

I like Sebastian Shaw from X-Men as an example, If they would have just took his powers functionality from the comics, where his muscles get bigger with every absorption, It would have looked flat out dumb...but they came up with a way that it could look a little more practical as he would vibrate to mimic a shock absorber or a tuning fork

I'm saying, theres a way around it, you just need a good production team
#12 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio
@CrimsonAvenger said:
This. According to Wright his film which is slated to be released after Avengers wouldn't fit chronologically with Avengers and vice-versa.

I wouldn't rule out Janet in any case at this point in time. Who we saw this early in the game were the " main cast ", not the entire.
Much was the case with Captain America First Avenger, many more characters could still be in the film in smaller roles like
The Howling Commando's were, or in cameo's like Jim Hammond was. I'm sure the Avengers movie will be chocked with
surprises.
#13 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18855 posts) - - Show Bio

I was wondering the same thing, but as War Killer said that could be it. 

I'm hoping that Ms Marvel will have a small role in the first movie so then kind of like what they did in the Cartoon she'll be on the team in the second :D

#14 Posted by Musedp (79 posts) - - Show Bio
@CrimsonAvenger said:
I'd never thought about a squeal..but of course they will! i don't know why I hadn't thought of that!..in my opinion with that sequel, The Vision, Quick Silver and Scarlet Witch should be in it..but that's just me saying I'd love to see my favorites on the big screen! haha
#15 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
@Kairan1979 said:
actually thor is very cool, he is a damn god of thunder who lives in the heavens above and uses bifrost to get to earth, has lived over 30 000 years and has a cool hammer which allows him to gather the storm. 
 Hank looks ridiculous in his suit and so does wasp, she is pretty much totally useless even in the EMH cartoon. Both aren't needed IMO though the producers have said they will both appear in the 2nd avengers film. 
#16 Posted by Musedp (79 posts) - - Show Bio
@difficlus said:
actually thor is very cool, he is a damn god of thunder who lives in the heavens above and uses bifrost to get to earth, has lived over 30 000 years and has a cool hammer which allows him to gather the storm.  Hank looks ridiculous in his suit and so does wasp, she is pretty much totally useless even in the EMH cartoon. Both aren't needed IMO though the producers have said they will both appear in the 2nd avengers film. 
I Personally disagree! sure Ant-man and the Wasps costumes aren't the coolest, but there not as bad as some. If their costumes, however do need some customizing, well it don't think that's that big of a deal, it wouldn't be the first costume to be changed for the purpose of a movie ie. Hawkeye!...i hope he gets a mask, coz i think his costume was always pretty cool!
#17 Edited by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio
@Musedp said:

@difficlus said:

actually thor is very cool, he is a damn god of thunder who lives in the heavens above and uses bifrost to get to earth, has lived over 30 000 years and has a cool hammer which allows him to gather the storm.  Hank looks ridiculous in his suit and so does wasp, she is pretty much totally useless even in the EMH cartoon. Both aren't needed IMO though the producers have said they will both appear in the 2nd avengers film. 
I Personally disagree! sure Ant-man and the Wasps costumes aren't the coolest, but there not as bad as some. If their costumes, however do need some customizing, well it don't think that's that big of a deal, it wouldn't be the first costume to be changed for the purpose of a movie ie. Hawkeye!...i hope he gets a mask, coz i think his costume was always pretty cool!
its clear that they are using ultimate inspirations for these characters especially Hawkeye (which is good so no silly mask for him- he is a government agent what does he have to hide for?). Even in the ulimates Wasp and Ant Man get the short side of the stick...
#18 Posted by Musedp (79 posts) - - Show Bio
@difficlus: I'm just gonna come out and say it, they shouldnt call him "Hawkeye" in this movie then! Because Clint was a felon, not a government agent. BUT! like i said i understand somethings need to change for the sake of the movie so they're appealing to all audiences. I just hope that at some point in this movie he adopts the mask!
#19 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio
@Musedp said:
@difficlus: I'm just gonna come out and say it, they shouldnt call him "Hawkeye" in this movie then! Because Clint was a felon, not a government agent. BUT! like i said i understand somethings need to change for the sake of the movie so they're appealing to all audiences. I just hope that at some point in this movie he adopts the mask!
why do you want the mask? lol
#20 Posted by Musedp (79 posts) - - Show Bio
@difficlus: Well when a super hero is out of costume, they generally don't go by their alter ego name ie. Iron man becomes Tony Stark, Super Man goes back to being plain 'ol Clark Kent and Hawkeye is just Clint Barton. So I think the costume/mask/whatever is just as important as the person wearing them.
#21 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio
@Musedp: Hawkeye is just a nickname/codename from shield then i guess. Why you expect him to go after criminals and call suddenly himself the astonishing hawkeye? The others are different, they don't work for the government. 
#22 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2317 posts) - - Show Bio

I think wasp and ant-man should be in the lab as scientists and play a small part but to be honest there is SOOOOOO many characters that there wouldn't be time to establish the two of them properly and battle wise they don't really fit in a movie format 

Giant man would be too much CGI and a shrinking woman would seem silly to non comic readers, though Im sure Joss wanted to have janet so he could have more female cast members because he's a big supporter of female heroes but im sure he couldn't wedge her into the main group 

Not to mention the all star cast each require screen time and god knows how much money so they'd need no name actors to play the two parts, I'm sure they will be wedged into the sequel 

#23 Posted by War Killer (20209 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle: I disagree, FF wasn't a bad movie because the powers didn't translate, the movie was bad because of bad writing. Nothing more. People seem to think that shrinking down to the size of an ant or growing to the size of a giant are lame powers, I disagree and think that with the right writing and right special effects those powers could be pretty cool. Same with Wasp, you may think shrinking down and growing wings out of your back may not translate well either, and again, I think in the right hands even Wasp could be a cool character that normal movie goers could enjoy seeing.

Shrinking to the size of an ant and growing into a giant are not lame powers.
#24 Posted by War Killer (20209 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
I was wondering the same thing, but as War Killer said that could be it.  I'm hoping that Ms Marvel will have a small role in the first movie so then kind of like what they did in the Cartoon she'll be on the team in the second :D
If The Avengers does well, I think will see Ms. Marvel pop up in a sequel. :)
#25 Edited by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio
Scott Lang will also be Ant-Man with Hank in the Ant-Man film. Also don't forget the Marvel Cinematic Universe uses a lot of Ultimate Universe material so maybe Hank will look like his Ultimate Universe counterpart even though he is Giant Man in the Ultimate Universe.
#26 Posted by cattlebattle (12779 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:
@cattlebattle: I disagree, FF wasn't a bad movie because the powers didn't translate, the movie was bad because of bad writing. Nothing more. People seem to think that shrinking down to the size of an ant or growing to the size of a giant are lame powers, I disagree and think that with the right writing and right special effects those powers could be pretty cool. Same with Wasp, you may think shrinking down and growing wings out of your back may not translate well either, and again, I think in the right hands even Wasp could be a cool character that normal movie goers could enjoy seeing.  Shrinking to the size of an ant and growing into a giant are not lame powers.
I never said they were lame, just that they won't translate well, the majority of comic movies these days seem to try and make the characters and abilities as realistic as possible, Jan and Hanks powers are great, just that they are sort of oddball.
#27 Edited by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio

because someone who's job it is to make mad amounts of money from brainless movie-goers did some market research that said "bugs don't test well" or "shrinking and growing powers won't make the 12-35 year old male demo buy a video game" so they cut them out of the equation
or because Zak Penn didn't like them and, as we all know, he gets to decide what is and isn't Marvel continuity
#28 Posted by Musedp (79 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadowdoggy said:
  "bugs don't test well" or "shrinking and growing powers won't make the 12-35 year old male demo buy a video game"
..um spider man...just saying lol..as for growing and shrinking, Well there's Alice in Wonderland ..and its full of growing and shrinking, so i have to disagree with you.
#29 Posted by Aqua11500 (2647 posts) - - Show Bio

Hank Pym is lame,no one wants to see him get big and then turn small.He's mentally unstable,a science dork and annoying.Plus he loves using Jan as a punching bag =P 

If they give him a solo movie it s going to bomb,he's not a very interesting lesser known Marvel property. 

Same with Jan,this bitch shrinking and flying around stinging , WTF???

It's cute in the cartoon,but she's practically useless there.If they put a female Avenger in , it'll probably be Ms.Marvel in the sequel. Scarlet Witch wont be making an appearance any time soon as long as Fox has rights to X-men and mutants and X-universe related characters. They could technically negotiate for her..but its slim.

May be harsh,but they really wouldn't translate well into a more ultimate's realistic like take on the team.Thor barely did it,and you how much modern they had to make him.Thor has always been cheesy to me,but in the movie he didn't speak in old Shakespearean Language with the thous,and thy and nay..etcc..it would have been corny.I'm glad they didn't give Thor blue tights and yellow boots.I'm glad he didn't wear that dorky ass Norse/viking helmet with the huge wings poking out..You wanna know why ? because it looks kiddy, childish and cartoonish. 

Cute for comics,but not so cute on real people. 
Captain America's new uniform still looks a hot ass mess BTW,but they did modernize it.Notice how those dorky ass wings aren't poking out his head,or how his suit isn't as brightly colored..(could have used darker shades) 

That's just my moto for certain characters and things when it comes down to this. 

Cute for comics,but a no no in real life... =/

#30 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@Musedp
I wasn't really being all that specific
just generalizing about the types of reasons scripts get written the way they do
#31 Posted by Musedp (79 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aqua11500: lol are you sure you even like comics? because that's some cynical observations lol..tho jokes aside you raised some good points about modernizing costumes and stuff like that, but i think your wrong about Hank and Jan, regardless of how much they get used now in the marvel universe, you cant dispute the fact that they helped shape the marvel universe, starting with the avengers, creating Pym Particle (which still get quite a fair bit of mention) etc. an abusive growing and shrinking scientist and his flying wife..well there's nothing cute about it, i think it'd do well in a movie. and theres so many cool ways they could make it. Hell if  "honey i shrunk the kids" could be a success, then an Ant-Man movie..or at least cameo wouldn't hurt. 

PS.I also agree Ms. Marvel should make an appearance..but not until the sequel.. and perhaps some mention of Captain Marvel?..after all she wouldn't even be around if not for him!
#32 Posted by The Impersonator (5483 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm excited for this movie. Can't wait.
#33 Posted by Aqua11500 (2647 posts) - - Show Bio
@Musedp:  Yes i love comics,more specifically Marvel. It's the truth though. I mean i forgot "honey shrunk dem dere kids" XD 
 I loved that movie when i was a kid, i still watch it again dammit..lol 

I don't know,they are founding Avengers,but you know how in the Cinemas they have to make a few alterations  to not only please comic fans,but open doors for newer  fans and move goers being introduced to Avengers.I mean they could possibly make them look cool,but i cant see Hank carrying a solo movie..lol
#34 Posted by Musedp (79 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aqua11500: yeah i always loved that movie too! haha ... they are looking into making an Ant-Man movie any way..but "At the San Diego Comic Con in 2010, Wright confirmed that his script is an origin story, and that doesn't work for Marvel's chronology to include Ant-Man in the Avengers.
they've been looking at making an ant-man movie for some time now..but i guess Edgar wright isn't intending on having him in the avenger's movie...*fingers crossed* hell make it at least into the sequel.
it just would have been great to have the classics finally make it onto to big screen.
#35 Posted by sladewilson30 (219 posts) - - Show Bio

Who is the bad guy gonna be, cause first I heard it was the Skrulls, then I heard it was gonna be Loki(making it more true to the comics), then I heard it was Thanos, and just a few minutes ago, I was on the Heinrich Zemo page, and at the bottom it says that he is gonna be the villain, which brings up the possibility that the Masters of Evil will probably be in the film. So which is it?

#36 Posted by Musedp (79 posts) - - Show Bio
@sladewilson30: I'm pretty sure Loki.. tho whats to say that their wont be more than one, team work and all that? lol
#37 Posted by vidarrodinson (137 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with you 100%.  This movie will miss Ant Man/ Giant Man & the Wasp.  I  know its business , but they were founding members.  Excluding them is like excluding Professor X.  Or having the Fantastic Three.  It may or may not turn out better.  Hawkeye is OK .  But  the Jan and Hank special effects will be missed.

#38 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Pym and Wasp > Hawkeye and Black Widow.  Pym is my favorite Avenger, and I'm really upset that he won't be in the film. I guess he's just too good for the movies :P  

Hopefully, Edgar Write will get off his butt and make his damn movie already. It's been like 5 years of him saying "We're rewriting the script"

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.