Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7704 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Avengers: Endless Wartime (Warren Ellis)

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Hey all, so apparently Warren Ellis is returning to Marvel to write an Avengers graphic novel with Mike McKone. Titled 'Endless Wartime', so far no plot details are out, save for some vague references to dark villains from Cap and Thor's past. But there's also an intro from Clark Gregg and an afterword by Stan Lee!

No Caption Provided

Here's the Amazon product description:

An abomination, long thought buried, has resurfaced in a war-torn land. But now it wears an American flag. Faced with another nightmare reborn, Captain America will not stand for yet more death at the hands of a ghost from his past. Haunted by his greatest shame, Thor must renew the hunt for a familiar beast. At their side, an assemblage of allies united to end the threats no one of them could face alone. They are soldiers. Warriors. Comrades-in-arms. Mighty heroes led by a living legend, stronger together than apart. They are the Avengers.

Avengers: Endless Wartime is bookended by an introduction from Marvel's The Avengers star Clark Gregg (better known as "Agent Phil Coulson") and an afterword from the legendary Stan Lee, co-creator of this blockbuster super hero team.

What do you guys think? Personally, Warren Ellis' superhero writing has been hit-or-miss with me (Extremis was great, Astonishing X-Men...eh, not so much), but I'm excited about this. If he's given more creative freedom to work with, who knows, this could be a solid Avengers story.

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

cool :)

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

This sounds interesting to say at least.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's a preview that was posted on CBR.

It looks alright, but I still can't get over Cap Marvel's weird Storm-esque mohawk....

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@veshark said:

It looks alright, but I still can't get over Cap Marvel's weird Storm-esque mohawk....

Just thinking the same thing, the mask/helmet looks a little odd generally.

Nice to see her there though. At least we know there'll be at least one non-Movie Avenger, that isn't Wolverine or Spider-Man.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Veshark

@veshark said:

Just thinking the same thing, the mask/helmet looks a little odd generally.

Nice to see her there though. At least we know there'll be at least one non-Movie Avenger, that isn't Wolverine or Spider-Man.

Yeah, definitely. What do you think about the writing and art though? The dialogue feels a little too Ellis-awkward-smarta$$ for me, but the art is nice, if a little simplistic. But it's too little to judge, I guess.

Interesting to note that the back cover has what appears to be falling US bombs and a serpent encircling the Avengers 'A' (Maybe Midgard Serpent?)

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: I'm not familiar enough with his work to know the exact meaning of "Ellis-awkward-smarta$$", but I think I know what you mean. Something seems a little odd about it.

The artwork is nice enough. Nothing that special, but it's not bad. Carols' face seems to be drawn a bit strangely, and I'm not sure why her mask coming off is given such attention.

Thor seems to be a big part of it, so you could be right.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose

Haha well basically what I meant was that Ellis has a tendency to write 'too-cute' dialogue in an attempt for humor, where everyone acts like a sarcastic smart aleck. Sometimes it's actually funny (like Authority), but in others and this it just feels like a painful attempt to inject banter (Astonishing X-Men).

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: Yeah, it does seem a little forced.

Maybe it's just in the opening scenes though, just to get things rolling.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Veshark

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@veshark:

Yeah, it does seem a little forced.

Maybe it's just in the opening scenes though, just to get things rolling.

Hopefully. I've got high hopes for this one

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.