avengers comic

#1 Posted by Nightflash (713 posts) - - Show Bio

I read hickmans avengers up to issue 3 because I thought it was a bad comic (I love his "new avengers" though) and I had thoughts about trying to start reading it again but lately he's just been introducing new characters which doesnt intersest me. Im wondering if it has gotten better and if it is really goog.

#2 Posted by Veshark (8485 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Hickman's works as a whole read better in trade form. He always tells a long-form story with tons of buildup and future repercussions. Both of his FF and Ultimates work were kinda meh as single issues, but together as entire arcs, they're superb.

I'd recommend waiting until Avengers Vol. 1 comes out in trade form.

#3 Posted by TDK_1997 (13665 posts) - - Show Bio

So far for all of the issues I have the same opinion.I don't like them,they are single issues telling one shot stories.And the characters he is trying to introduce just don't look and feel like Avengers for me.That's why I dropped his Avengers and I am reading only his New Avengers.

#4 Edited by oldnightcrawler (3410 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997: I have really enjoyed New Avengers so far. It's more the Illuminati than the Avengers, but I dig it.

I totally agree that Avengers hasn't felt enough like an Avengers book yet. What's the point of having this huge cast of classic and new characters if they're all going to be background characters? I'd at least like the book to feel like it was about the team, regardless of which characters they choose to focus on.

Have you read Uncanny Avengers? It's, surprisingly, the book that feels most like the Avengers right now. The first arc was a little obligatory and slow, but issues 5 and 6 have both been great. It's probably my favourite Avengers book at the moment (although it has had two good issues come out since the last issue of NA came out..).

#5 Posted by TDK_1997 (13665 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997: I have really enjoyed New Avengers so far. It's more the Illuminati than the Avengers, but I dig it.

I totally agree that Avengers hasn't felt enough like an Avengers book yet. What's the point of having this huge cast of classic and new characters if they're all going to be background characters? I'd at least like the book to feel like it was about the team, regardless of which characters they choose to focus on.

Have you read Uncanny Avengers? It's, surprisingly, the book that feels most like the Avengers right now. The first arc was a little obligatory and slow, but issues 5 and 6 have both been great. It's probably my favourite Avengers book at the moment (although it has had two good issues come out since the last issue of NA came out..).

Uncanny Avengers is really surprising the last two issues but it still ain't what it was promised to be.The team is currently being more Avengers than the main Avengers title.I like how things are going but Remender is building up the story with the same pace like Hickman.

#6 Posted by oldnightcrawler (3410 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997: I'm happy with it. I'm not sure what you mean by "what it was promised to be", but it seems to be the book that really sits at the middle of the marvel universe right now, and that's what the Avengers have been missing for some time.

The story may be going slow, but as long as it actually focuses on members of the team (all of whom I'm enjoying, and many of whom I haven't enjoyed in years) and classic villains like Kang (disguised as Loki? that's a neat switch) and Apocalypse, I'm on board.

#7 Edited by TDK_1997 (13665 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: The book is like it is going to be the dark book Uncanny X-Force was and it sure looks like Remender is writing it but so far I can't see the point of Rogue being part of the team.

#8 Edited by MadeinBangladesh (4962 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightflash: same thing happened too me. thought Avengers has been boring and I don't have any interest in reading it same with New Avengers. Just couldn't get into Hickman's writing.

#9 Edited by oldnightcrawler (3410 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

@oldnightcrawler: The book is like it is going to be the dark book Uncanny X-Force was and it sure looks like Remender is writing it but so far I can't see the point of Rogue being part of the team.

To me it seems like the least "dark" of the current Avengers books, but I didn't read UXF.

Rogue's inclusion still seems like a bit of a mystery to me, since I don't remember anyone asking her to join. My thoughts are that she was suggested by either Wolverine or Havoc; Havoc did stand up for her in issue 5, and all three of them have been on the X-men together at least a few times. Either way, I think it's a good call. She's been wasted in X-men for years, and she's got a pretty classic history with the Avengers. I think she's a great pick for this team, even if her reasons for being there have yet to be fleshed out.

#10 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (9732 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally think Avengers is a horrible book now. I have yet to fully enjoy an issue. The team is way too big and they're trying to give too many people an in depth story, it's literally a bunch of one-shots + some story line (as stated earlier). The only reason I keep buying it is because I know it's a mainstay in Marvel. New Avengers (though it should be called Illuminati since thats what they are) is great and Uncanny Avengers is good.

So do I recommend it? No.

#11 Posted by TDK_1997 (13665 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: I actually see this book as being dark as the others and eventually becoming even a darker Avengers book.Remender has that kind of writing style so we can expect only dark things going on and on.We already saw that preview where Banshee,Sentry,Daken and Grim Reaper will be coming back as Horsemen of Apocalypse and you can consider that darker than Hickman's New Avengers book.

And as for Rogue I can see why he chose her but the reason why she became an Avengers isn't explained yet and that confuses me a lot.I mean if they asked her to become an Avenger I can't see her agreeing on that.

#12 Edited by oldnightcrawler (3410 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997: ah, I hadn't seen that preview, so maybe you're right.

As for Rogue, I could see her joining at Wolverine's request. They've always been close, and both of them seem to be taking Xavier's death a lot harder than many of the other X-men, so it could have to do with that. And, given the inter-team divisions between the X-men right now, I could see her wanting to just get back to being a superhero.

@arturocalakayvee: I don't really think the team's too big, so much as the book hasn't really been about the team (or, at least, the members of the team) yet. The individual members haven't been given enough spotlight interacting with each other for me to care about them.

Personally, I read Avengers comics to read stories with an ensemble cast of superheroes, not because they deal with big, cosmic, mumbo-jumbo smegg of ever escalating proportions. Maybe he needs that to tell the story he wants to tell, but without any focus on the characters I picked up the book to read about, why should I care?

Ever read the Secret Wars from the 80's? There's like twenty superheroes in that book, and over the course of 12 issues, we get to understand the personalities of all of them. My point isn't that I want Avengers to be like that, but that a large cast can have a lot of individual personality, which, so far, we haven't seen from this book. I just want the book to be about the cast, preferably some of the members less featured in other books, but honestly all of them are cool characters. If the book's not about superheroes interacting with other superheroes, it's not going to be much of an Avengers comic.

#13 Posted by tigerkaya (1199 posts) - - Show Bio

I find Hickman's Avenger while great concept and story he is lacking in developing the team using the Avengers as more of a vehicle to help him bring the New Universe story's back to relevance. Thats all well and good but I would have hoped he would develop further on the Avengers mythos similar to Morrison on his Justice League run. But I'll have to make due with skipping this arc once its done.

#14 Posted by TDK_1997 (13665 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: Well so far she doesn't look much like a superhero and she kinda getting the Wolverine treatment by Remender.

#15 Posted by oldnightcrawler (3410 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

@oldnightcrawler: Well so far she doesn't look much like a superhero and she kinda getting the Wolverine treatment by Remender.

I don't really know what you mean by either of those statements; care to elaborate?

#16 Posted by TDK_1997 (13665 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

I don't really know what you mean by either of those statements; care to elaborate?

I mean that she is that character that is kinda an anti-hero and would not mind to go for the kill or just to have bad temper.When she has to be bad,she is the worst and we saw that after she had to team-up with Wanda.I get that the girl wiped out most of the mutants but most of the guys forgot about her and the best idea she had was to act like a douche and if she was Logan she would have killed her.

#17 Posted by oldnightcrawler (3410 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

I mean that she is that character that is kinda an anti-hero and would not mind to go for the kill or just to have bad temper.When she has to be bad,she is the worst and we saw that after she had to team-up with Wanda.I get that the girl wiped out most of the mutants but most of the guys forgot about her and the best idea she had was to act like a douche and if she was Logan she would have killed her.

I dunno where you're getting that idea. I've read pretty much every X-men comic, and I don't remember Rogue ever even trying to kill anyone, in fact, classically, as often as not, she was the voice of reason that tried to stop fights.

And if Wolverine actually wanted to kill the Scarlet Witch, I'm sure he would've tried already.

#18 Edited by TDK_1997 (13665 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

I dunno where you're getting that idea. I've read pretty much every X-men comic, and I don't remember Rogue ever even trying to kill anyone, in fact, classically, as often as not, she was the voice of reason that tried to stop fights.

And if Wolverine actually wanted to kill the Scarlet Witch, I'm sure he would've tried already.

He was about to do it in Avengers the Children's Crusade.He wanted to do it and he recently wanted to go back in time and kill Hank Pym because he created Ultron and in the first issues of Uncanny Avengers,Rogue was being a real bitch with Wanda and it looked like she may threaten her.

#19 Edited by oldnightcrawler (3410 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997: oh, I'm not arguing that Rogue likes the Scarlet Witch, she obviously doesn't, but she's no killer.

in fact, of this current line up of Avengers, I'd bet Rogue and Wasp are the only ones you could say that about..

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.