Another Villain Set for The Avengers Movie?

• 100 results
Posted by G-Man (30603 posts) - - Show Bio

Since Marvel first started talking about The Avengers movie back at San Diego Comic-Con, there's been question whether or not a certain character would have an appearance. Before we get to that, let's look at what we know so far.

Nick Fury (and Agent Coulson) have been gathering the heroes for the Avengers Initiative. We'll see Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye, Black Widow and Hulk gathered together (along with others as S.H.I.E.L.D. agents) against the evil forces.

Those evil forces we know involve Loki with a cosmic cube. There's been a rumor floating around for a while that Loki will somehow get the Skrulls to come and attack Earth. If you're thinking that Loki and the Skrulls aren't enough, there is a new rumor of yet another major villain that will have a part in the movie.

Click below for a possible spoiler if you're curious who this major baddy just might be.

== TEASER ==

Thanos.

That is the latest that Latino Review is reporting. This makes perfect sense if you do think back to San Diego Comic-Con. Besides a replica of Captain America's shield, why would they have one of the Infinity Gauntlet? There was also a rumor that the Gauntlet appears in THOR in Odin's vault (I watched the movie twice and couldn't find it).

Could Thanos be making his big screen debut next year? Is this a good idea or too much for an already packed movie? A lot will be riding on the success of this film.

Staff
#1 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

as long as he isn't just a "cloud" or "shadowy figure" lol

#2 Posted by chrisburgess99 (62 posts) - - Show Bio

There would be no reason to add Thanos in the Avengers movie. He would have to have a back story and like other super hero movies with multiple villians there is always the 2 debates of a villian being strong enough that the movie does not have to be filled with villians and having enough screen time for the villians in the movie.
#3 Posted by Jake Fury (18113 posts) - - Show Bio
@chrisburgess99 said:
There would be no reason to add Thanos in the Avengers movie. He would have to have a back story and like other super hero movies with multiple villians there is always the 2 debates of a villian being strong enough that the movie does not have to be filled with villians and having enough screen time for the villians in the movie.

Agreed, wholeheartedly.
#4 Posted by Dh4niel (348 posts) - - Show Bio

I have high hopes for this movie. It is written AND directed by Joss Whedon after all. Loki, Skrulls and Thanos? That might be overkill for villains, I think. Still optimistic though.

#5 Posted by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio
@xhavoc86: Well, now that we've seen the Norse gods and monsters on screen, Thanos doesn't seem so outlandish. I mean, he'd definitely get a new costume, but I'd see his makeup being not all that dissimilar from Laufey. But then, visually, Thanos has always been slightly more plausible for film transition than Galactus. They could probably work out a way not to make Galactus laughable at this point, though. I mean, they managed to make the rainbow bridge when they didn't have to. They could have just as easily given us a normal bridge and referred to it exclusively as Bifrost.
#6 Posted by mikeclark1982 (424 posts) - - Show Bio

they are going to load this movie to the point it is going to be set pieces and craploads of SFX. adding thanos could make a highly anticipated mediocre film into a disney version of transformers revenge of the fallen: a nearly 3 hour movie you can not really pay attention, let alone attach to. 

#7 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

It's going to be too stuffed with characters...again.

#8 Posted by thecheckeredman (398 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Thanos and the original INFINITY GAUNTLET miniseries--it was a lot of fun, but adding this element already to Loki and the possibility of Skrulls seems like far too much. 

#9 Posted by StriderNo9 (104 posts) - - Show Bio
@chrisburgess99 said:
Agreed, and with that how bad ass of Marvel would it be to make a Thanos movie just to give us background story and show how badass he is and it can be a direct prequel to Avengers. 
#10 Posted by Autopsad (84 posts) - - Show Bio

Just to say, i watched thor only once but yes, i saw the infinity gauntlet, so no, this ain't a rumor.
But i would never have thought that Thanos could be in the Avengers movie !

#11 Posted by bingbangboom (746 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it is too much but also it might just be hinting at Thanos for a sequel. Say that this huge conflict brings his attention to Earth or something. I really doubt that we will see Loki bring the skrulls from another planet to earth just for some weird plan.

#12 Posted by Golden Cod (412 posts) - - Show Bio

No Thanos or Skrulls please.   There's no need to take this to a galactic level and your average movie goer won't connect with it.  

There are PLENTY of powerful Earth-based villains from which they can use.   What about Molecule Man or Graviton?   Maybe reimagine the High Evolutionary as an ex-Nazi scientist?   There's a lot that can be done without resorting to aliens.

#13 Posted by RareCheshire (190 posts) - - Show Bio

They could be making a Masters of Evil team to go up against the Avengers

#14 Posted by hydrabob (14977 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they don't use Thanos. They would have to weaken him severely for them to do anything to him.

#15 Posted by movieartman (979 posts) - - Show Bio
@Golden Cod
that last ones a great idea :)
#16 Posted by CRTrobinson (270 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure he will just have a cameo or be in it for a relatively short amount of time making him the villain for the second film.  Or he could be the supreme villain much like the emperor in star wars where he is trying to send different attacks at the heroes until ultimately he himself has to fight them.  Lets not join the hate train just yet boys and girls.  I think we should all be quite content with the product we have been given so far by Marvel with these characters.

#17 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

If Thanos is in it, the movie's ruined.

It's most likely going to be Loki, Zemo, Red Skull and probably someone else as the Masters of Evil.

#18 Posted by sj_esposito (457 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love to see Thanos be the villain, but it's a risky move. Thanos would be easily screwed up by Hollywood and I'd rather never see him in a movie than see him done with no justice.

#19 Posted by The_Tree (7191 posts) - - Show Bio

There's been no setup whatsoever for Thanos.
I think the villain's going to be Loki having something to do with the cosmic cube.

#20 Posted by freedom (71 posts) - - Show Bio

he should just be some concept or whatever thing like Galactus in Fantastic Four 2. You know, the cloud/tornado/vacuum/doomsday thing. The Avengers movie might suffer another "tried-to-do-so-much" dilemma like IM2, X3 and Thor.

#21 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

The Avengers will be against Loki with a cosmic cube maybe with the help of the skrulls and Thanos with Infinity Gantlet(maybe)
#22 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

If Im not mistaken I think I recall seeing the Gauntlet for like a split second during the first vault scene when the jotunns attack but I cannot be for certain.  That being said, Thanos would still be an unusual choice for an Avengers movie, at least for this one.  Maybe in the future but, not now.

#23 Posted by Tainted-Cell (299 posts) - - Show Bio

Putting Thanos in there would be like having Venom appear in the first Spider-man movie...

#24 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

The Gauntlet is supposed to be when the Destroyer kills the Frost Giants, like a second before he blasts them.
#25 Posted by Vitality (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

If Thanos is in it...he would probably make an appearance at the end or something...just to show that he will be the big bad for Avengers 2.
#26 Posted by jubilee042 (1353 posts) - - Show Bio

where is wasp people !!!!!!!heloooo!!!!!!!!!!!! WASP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#27 Posted by IrishX (2302 posts) - - Show Bio

This has been the rumor for a while now. Ever since we saw this.....

Infinity Gauntlet at SDCC 2010

#28 Posted by TacticalSandwich (33 posts) - - Show Bio

http://screenrant.com/thor-movie-odins-vault-artifacts-rob-115931/2/    

They break down each of the items in the vault and give a screenshot from the movie. Including the Gauntlet
#29 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@jubilee042 said:
where is wasp people !!!!!!!heloooo!!!!!!!!!!!! WASP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She and Hank will be in the sequel. It shall be titled;

ANT-Man and WASP; the Awesome Avengers
#30 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos is cool, just don't use him as a main villian.

#31 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@IrishX said:

This has been the rumor for a while now. Ever since we saw this.....

Infinity Gauntlet at SDCC 2010

Dear Lord, it even sucks in real life.

Keep your Starlinist crap out of my Avengers! O_O
#32 Posted by Out_of_Space (720 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this movie is gonna be really screawd with Thanos. I like the idea of Thanos as a villain but Marvel movies always screaw there villains. For example Venom.

#33 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Out_of_Space said:
I think this movie is gonna be really screawd with Thanos. I like the idea of Thanos as a villain but Marvel movies always screaw there villains. For example Venom.
Loki and Whiplash were amazing. The rest all sucked, I concur.
#34 Posted by Benzo (621 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Thanos but..he should not be in the avengers movie. There is already too much going on for him to be included in the story. Also here's a question: (that's been on my mind recently)  

Why isn't Hank Pym or Janet Van Dyne included in the film? Personally I think there far too important characters to be wasted and not be included within the story. They were there when the avengers were first created and they were there when they discovered Steve Rogers in a block of ice too. 
#35 Posted by Taylors005 (107 posts) - - Show Bio
@Out_of_Space said:
that was actually sony screwing marvel villain 
#36 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4157 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this rumor is just that a rumor. Understandably that they its a good rumor because we saw the Infinity Gauntlet at Comic Con, yet during the Thor movie we did not see it. However we did the what looked like the Eye of Agamoto, but yet no rumors of a Doctor Strange or Sorcerer Supreme, I really think Thanos is an un-needed addition to this movie and I think Marvel is smart enough to know this.

#37 Posted by Top Flight Security (142 posts) - - Show Bio

If Thanos is in the movie then I believe the creators will take his appearance from the Ultimate FF storyline, where he is actually dead but he finds a host to inhabit until their bodies can no longer take it and they burn out. 

Earth-1610 Ultimate
#38 Posted by MrMazz (1134 posts) - - Show Bio

They need to hold off on Thanos for now maybe Avengers 2 or 3 not now. For one just give them Loki set upp the Skrull and Thanos  gop from there. I really wish they would do Secrete Invasion

#39 Posted by perry_411 (428 posts) - - Show Bio

At 10:32 in the movie, you can see the gauntlet in the background. You see it right before the 2nd Frost Giant is vaporized. It is a few seconds of screen time. The empty spot in the vault had more screen time. Cosmic Cube's spot?

#40 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who didn't see the Infinity Gauntlet in Thor.

#41 Posted by GothamBat (644 posts) - - Show Bio

I want Ultron!

#42 Posted by Seraphim84 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

I worry about this only because I could see them making Thanos the leader of the Skrulls due to the similar looks, and for anyone who knows the Mad Titan's history, that's blasphemy.

#43 Posted by dewboy01 (1876 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos was my idea, my dream!! YYEESSS!!! THANK Y'ALL

#44 Posted by U R Sofa King We Todd Did (1125 posts) - - Show Bio
@xhavoc86 said:
as long as he isn't just a "cloud" or "shadowy figure" lol
amen
#45 Posted by KingLoki (390 posts) - - Show Bio

Cut the Skrulls and have Loki and Thanos. C'mon, that would be enough epicness!

#46 Posted by shackle (215 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem with Thanos is that he won't translate to a mainstream audience; only the comic fans will be juiced to see him.

#47 Posted by Mucklefluga (2507 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't the Infinity Gaunlet be a main part of Iron Man 3?
#48 Posted by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio
@Seraphim84 said:
I worry about this only because I could see them making Thanos the leader of the Skrulls due to the similar looks, and for anyone who knows the Mad Titan's history, that's blasphemy.
I agree. Not only that, but he also looks too similar to how Laufey was depicted in the Thor movie. 

As far as there being too many villains, I don't think there will be, even if Thanos is included. Why? because I don't think Loki is going to be very involved. Loki is going to set up some mischief with the cosmic cube, either to get the Avengers to active, or get the Skrulls involved somehow, then get the EFF out of Dodge. I'd be surprised if he's around after the first act.
#49 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio
@The_Tree said:
There's been no setup whatsoever for Thanos. I think the villain's going to be Loki having something to do with the cosmic cube.

While I don't think we will see Thanos, the IG with all it's gems seems to be a big hint that Odin probably might have ran into him at some time or hint hint at perhaps a later cosmic film of grand proportions involving it.

Right now it's just the cosmic cube that RS stole from one of Odin's vaults somehow, which also implies Odin got that from somewhere too.

Thanos will eventually end up on the big screen one way or another.

#50 Posted by leokearon (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

Wrong it is the Hood :D

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.