After Iron Man who is the most popular Avenger?

Edited 1 year, 5 months ago

Poll: After Iron Man who is the most popular Avenger? (78 votes)

The Hulk 47%
Thor 21%
Captain America 29%
Black Widow 1%
Hawkeye 1%

We all know Iron Man is the most popular Avenger among casual fans but who do you think is 2nd most popular? I'd say Hulk is, he's been popular for a longer time than the others and might be the most famous out of them all.

#1 Posted by Nightwing4 (366 posts) - - Show Bio

Overall, I'd agree that Hulk made quite a few fans when he rag dolled Loki at the end like he did. It's tough to say really. Not widow or Hawkeye. I guess a tie with Thor and Cap for 3rd behind IM and Hulk.

#2 Posted by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

Well among comic fans the most popular seem to be Cap or Thor. But for the general movie going public you're right. Definitely Iron Man. Then probably the Hulk like you've said. Interesting how that is.

#3 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4619 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Hulk is one of the most well known and beloved of any of Marvel's characters, but I think Thor is well known even outside of the context of Marvel (really, he's their oldest character), and the movies have just made him that much more popular.

I do think it's interesting that you didn't include Spiderman, the Wolverine, or Rogue, as I think any of them are probably more well known than Hawkeye or Black Widow.

#4 Posted by The Stegman (24644 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk, i'd say he's even more popular than Iron Man.

#5 Edited by Strider92 (16610 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler said:

I do think it's interesting that you didn't include Spiderman, the Wolverine, or Rogue, as I think any of them are probably more well known than Hawkeye or Black Widow.

To be honest while Spider-man is Marvel's most well known and popular character the thread addresses who's the most popular Avenger. Spider-man isn't particularly well known for being an Avenger thus it seems logical that he wouldn't count despite being Marvel's flagship character. Wolverine and Rogue are also not very well known for being an Avenger they are more commonly associated with the X-men or solo series.

#6 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4619 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest while Spider-man is Marvel's most well known and popular character the thread addresses who's the most popular Avenger. Spider-man isn't particularly well known for being an Avenger thus it seems logical that he wouldn't count despite being Marvel's flagship character. Wolverine and Rogue are also not very well known for being an Avenger they are more commonly associated with the X-men or solo series.

sure. They aren't well known for being Avengers, but they are Avengers, and more well known than most. I'm sure there are lots of people who would know who Thor or the Hulk were, and not know about the Avengers..

#7 Edited by The Stegman (24644 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92 said:

sure. They aren't well known for being Avengers, but they are Avengers, and more well known than most. I'm sure there are lots of people who would know who Thor or the Hulk were, and not know about the Avengers..

I think the OP is judging purely Avengers from the movie, since that is the line up he has in the poll.

#8 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4619 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by TheCannon (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

Among actual comic fans, I'd say Cap. For people who have only seen the movies, I'd say either Hulk or Cap. I'll vote Hulk, mainly because of the TV Series in the 70s (or 80s. I forget)

#10 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd actually say that Hulk eclipses Iron Man in terms of overall popularity. Prior to the first movie, most people I know have never even heard of the character - save for the few that watched the Iron Man cartoon as kids. Even my mom (who doesn't really watch movies) knows the Hulk, but has no idea who Iron Man is. I'd argue that Hulk is the most popular Avenger to the general public - not in terms of personal preference, but in terms of overall awareness. Essentially, in terms of overall fame, not 'who likes who more'.

#11 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4619 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

I'd actually say that Hulk eclipses Iron Man in terms of overall popularity. Prior to the first movie, most people I know have never even heard of the character - save for the few that watched the Iron Man cartoon as kids. Even my mom (who doesn't really watch movies) knows the Hulk, but has no idea who Iron Man is. I'd argue that Hulk is the most popular Avenger to the general public - not in terms of personal preference, but in terms of overall awareness. Essentially, in terms of overall fame, not 'who likes who more'.

yeah, the Hulk is just an character that everyone knows and understands automatically, whether they know anything about superheroes or not. That's why I said Hulk or Thor, since Thor was a character before there even were comic books.

#12 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2145 posts) - - Show Bio

hulk

#13 Edited by Kal'smahboi (3535 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarlett Johansson ;)

#14 Posted by GodDamnIronMan (1553 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic ver: Hulk

Cinematic ver: Iron man

#15 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Edited by RaynorJ (1498 posts) - - Show Bio

Well i found this poll that was conducted that involved about 330 000 tweets at the time when the Avengers movie was out. And according to the those tweets the most popular, liked, badass and best part of the movie was the Hulk, though Thor fans shouldn't fret much since Thor got the sexiest ass award.

http://www.lexalytics.com/lexablog/2012/avengers-most-popular-superhero

#17 Posted by montydapunk.k (65 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it has to be Cap

#18 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

CAP or Thor.

#19 Posted by THORSON (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

but i love THOR more than anyone in both dc and marvel universe.

#20 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk, his popularity grew a lot with his TV show and until the movies were released, he was definitely the most popular.

#21 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk, his popularity grew a lot with his TV show and until the movies were released, he was definitely the most popular.

#22 Posted by PowerHerc (84352 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America should be but it's probably the Hulk.

#23 Posted by GunGunW (996 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk is the most popular, then Stark, then Cap, then the other guy that has the hammer.

#24 Posted by ectoborge (208 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk or Black Widow, best parts of the film

#25 Edited by Franchise1590 (298 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk IS the most popular Avengers.

Then Ironman because of movies, then Cap A, the Thor,, then probably Anyman or Hawkeye.

#26 Posted by Cutter (809 posts) - - Show Bio

If is beside Iron Man, I believe Hulk is....most popular.

#27 Posted by SoA (4843 posts) - - Show Bio

i voted cap, surprised the hulk is in the lead lol

#28 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk

#29 Posted by GrenadeFlow (1538 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor, his movie did like x3 better than the last hulk movie

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.