Avengers #40

• 90 results
    donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was affraid to buy this issue... i figured the prestory that leads to the secret wars would be blah like how the few issues prior to death of wolverine.

Jimmy_Rustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanna read it just for the Namor/Panther fight alone.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@adamtrmm said:

Wait a second, why did Black Bolt help Black Panther?

Smells like a part of anti-mutant conspiracy with this Inhuman intervention..lol but seriously?

@adamtrmm said:

Smells like a part of anti-mutant conspiracy with this Inhuman intervention..lol but seriously?

he aligned himself with the people that destroyed Atilian. Plus in Infinity Namor outright attacked Black Bolt. So Namor plus Maximus AND Thanos on the same squad? Yeah Black Bolts not going to let that stand.

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was great.

It's REALLY weird to me that New Avengers and Avengers kind of switched roles a few months back, and Avengers seemed to get the more Illuminati-themed issues like this one. Really takes away from New Avengers (which I have vastly preferred this volume) in terms of reading it as a consolidated series. Bothers me that Black Panther's promise to kill Namor happened in New Avengers, but the killing of Namor happened in Avengers. That's crappy.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By jashro44

@black_arrow said:

@owie: I had doubt so I searched again if he was fully healed and I found out that Black Bolt managed to fully heal himself after that. So that part still doesn't make any sense (Maybe Black Bolt held himself back).

He probably didn't want to kill black panther. In infinity a 50% black bolt one shotted namor, iron man, and beast and that issue was also written by Hickman. So I'm sure Hickman understands black bolt could have easily killed Namor.

Also in regards to thanos teleporting remember in the first issue black panther tried that but the incursion messed with his teleporter and he didn't get to where he wanted to go. Thanos can probably teleport back assuming he is still alive (which he probably is because its thanos).

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I'm still waiting on what Captain America's great idea on how to deal with the convergence. He's been doing a lot of bitching about the Illuminati but has yet to provide a single alternative.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I bet much of the Cabal was able to tank the damage of the bomb and are now stuck in that other Universe. They should be able to eventually get out. I need to re-read some earlier issues but was Black Swan able to move between universes or only during incursions? I assume that they will and will either be part of the big conclusion or Secret Wars

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By adamTRMM

@sunman said:

he aligned himself with the people that destroyed Atilian. Plus in Infinity Namor outright attacked Black Bolt. So Namor plus Maximus AND Thanos on the same squad? Yeah Black Bolts not going to let that stand.

Yeah and it was an alliance he regretted and double-crossed them in this very instance.

Warathusis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A sh*t ending given Namor didn't really get to fight back, and the fact that pretty much everyone is forgetting that the Wakandans massacred more Atlanteans than their fellow people that died during AvX.

I want the Sub-Mariner to come back and put that P*ssy and the OP Mute in their place!!

WORLD WAR NAMOR!!!

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#61 owie  Moderator
    @jashro44 said:

@black_arrow said:

@owie: I had doubt so I searched again if he was fully healed and I found out that Black Bolt managed to fully heal himself after that. So that part still doesn't make any sense (Maybe Black Bolt held himself back).

He probably didn't want to kill black panther. In infinity a 50% black bolt one shotted namor, iron man, and beast and that issue was also written by Hickman. So I'm sure Hickman understands black bolt could have easily killed Namor.

Also in regards to thanos teleporting remember in the first issue black panther tried that but the incursion messed with his teleporter and he didn't get to where he wanted to go. Thanos can probably teleport back assuming he is still alive (which he probably is because its thanos).

You mean he didn't want to kill Namor, not Panther, I assume?

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'm still waiting on what Captain America's great idea on how to deal with the convergence. He's been doing a lot of bitching about the Illuminati but has yet to provide a single alternative.

Yeah, Cap is a idiot like that.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet much of the Cabal was able to tank the damage of the bomb and are now stuck in that other Universe. They should be able to eventually get out. I need to re-read some earlier issues but was Black Swan able to move between universes or only during incursions? I assume that they will and will either be part of the big conclusion or Secret Wars

I agree, the time BP took to ensure Namor was awake when things finally went boom guarantied that Thanos and his funky bunch got away.

Thanos will be a part of SW.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Not really a big fan of Thanos just being treated as a powerful brute.

I hope a future issues would give his intelligence some respect

saucygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue makes me happy, still don't think their plan to get rid of the Cabal worked, but what went down was still bad ass.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie said:
    @jashro44 said:

@black_arrow said:

No I mean black panther. I assume if black bolt had created a more powerful scream black panther would have been caught up inside it. Black bolt was probably trying to make sure his scream hit namor only. Thats my opinion and I think it makes sense.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By jashro44

@warathusis said:

A sh*t ending given Namor didn't really get to fight back, and the fact that pretty much everyone is forgetting that the Wakandans massacred more Atlanteans than their fellow people that died during AvX.

I want the Sub-Mariner to come back and put that P*ssy and the OP Mute in their place!!

WORLD WAR NAMOR!!!

And Namor than retaliated by sending thanos forces to Wakanda, and starting the Cabal which resulted in the destruction of Wakanda. No ones forgotten a thing Namor is just a dick. A sh!t ending for a sh!t character.

GeneralTekno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really a big fan of Thanos just being treated as a powerful brute.

I hope a future issues would give his intelligence some respect

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. He really feels shoehorned in "because Thanos is a well known big bad who does stuff."

Warathusis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: He sent them there because Wakanda Massacred his people. Instead of going after Namor the one who attacked them, they went after the innocent Atlanteans who had no idea what there King was doing at the time of AvX. Namor had every right to retaliate back. IT'S WAR!!

As for a sh*t character, how about try reading a Namor comic, instead of just saying that because you are more a fan of Black Panther and Black Bolt.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@generaltekno: I know right. It just seems so forced that Thanos would even act this way. Doesn't sit well with what has been established for Thanos.

Reading side my side Thanos just seems so different in Thanos vs Hulk #2

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@jashro44 said:

And Namor than retaliated by sending thanos forces to Wakanda, and starting the Cabal which resulted in the destruction of Wakanda. No ones forgotten a thing Namor is just a dick. A sh!t ending for a sh!t character.

Well damn Jash lol.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: He sent them there because Wakanda Massacred his people. Instead of going after Namor the one who attacked them, they went after the innocent Atlanteans who had no idea what there King was doing at the time of AvX. Namor had every right to retaliate back. IT'S WAR!!

Because Namor attacked them first and refused to apologize, or even express sympathy for what he did. But when Wakanda attacks and destroys atlantis Namor has the audacity to ask "What have you done?" He was pissed off when black panther told him that Wakanda attacked Atlantis, even though T'challa did try to establish peace. And than like a coward he takes a knee with proxima midnight and sends thanos to fight his battle for him. Namor than liberates thanos and forms the cabal, when he should have went to doom first (lesser threat than thanos), which he eventually did go to doom who turned him down.

I don't recall it ever being stated that Wakanda killed innocent atlanteans. I recall it being shown they killed some of the soldiers in Atlantis.

As for a sh*t character, how about try reading a Namor comic, instead of just saying that because you are more a fan of Black Panther and Black Bolt.

I read Hickmans entire new avengers run, and some fantastic four issues with namor. I have his mini that came out around the time of civil war and admittedly he was badass there but every other appearance I have read he's just a dick.

BigMan1227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#75  Edited By BigMan1227
    No Caption Provided

Lol Namor and Thanos are not dead. Black Panther's moment was so badass, but it was ruined because I had already seen this variant cover. And maybe they ARE dead, or the incursions in Secret Wars will bring back dead characters like the Squadron Supreme possibly are (because even though New Avengers 24 showed them killed by the Cabal, Supreme Power Hyperion is fighting the FIRST or the first GOOD Hyperion (the first Hyperion was evil)). So yeah, Namor isn't dead

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing that ending though muah beautiful. Only namora will miss that fake king anyway lol, still doubt the cabal is down especially with doom still planning something.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#78 owie  Moderator

@jashro44 said:

@owie said:
    @jashro44 said:

@black_arrow said:

No I mean black panther. I assume if black bolt had created a more powerful scream black panther would have been caught up inside it. Black bolt was probably trying to make sure his scream hit namor only. Thats my opinion and I think it makes sense.

Ah, I see. That could be, I guess.

Mykhael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warathusis Namor attacked Wakanda and killed thousands of people.

Namor said later, and I quote "I regret nothing."

Even after all that BP wanted to work for peace, but Shuri still ordered the attack.

Namor then sent Thanos' forces to destroy Wakanda.

BP nearly killed Namor for blowing up the alternate earth and Namor told T'Challa about his deception.

Then Namor organized the Cabal which once again, led to the destruction of Wakanda.

So BP is justified in killing Namor. Not only for Wakanda's destruction but also for being a giant douche.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Black_Arrow

Namor had his army with him when he attacked Wakanda in AvX.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

jaybefre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By jaybefre

@illmatic4177: Yes, but it was in retaliation for Namor's original attack, when he was one of the Phoenix Five against Wakanda. Namor started it, T'Challa finished it. Checkmate move by the King of the Dead.

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
    HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By HeirToTheKingdom

Doubt they are dead (well some of them atleast).

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanna read it just for the Namor/Panther fight alone.

Avatar image for eternalgrandmaster
    EternalGrandMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hickman is Awesome!! I personally think his run is the Best Avenger Story ever or among the best.

I've been on the ride since New/Avengers #1 and it's been crazy & This 2nd half after Infinity is Juss Woah! Revelations are at every corner.

I've only seen scans of their previous fight in New Avengers which Tchalla brought it heavy to Namor...but Sheesh! Talk about Conviction! Black Panther is that Ninja!

Cabal aren't gone thats for sure.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

Namor destroyed the world home to the Great Society. Everyone else in the Illuminati was pissed, including Black Bolt. Namor also releasing Thanos and the rest of the Black Order didn't help his case as well.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Swan needed a Manifold in order to jump from one dimension to another one (See New Avengers 1). She also lost her key to the library where the other Swans used to travel to other dimensions (New Avengers 15 IIRC) and the Black Priest now have the key.

MaJuFilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By MaJuFilip

Best comic I've read in quite a while. Had me hooked from beginning to end.

But it was T'Challa's reaction halfway that got me. Godlike and meme-worthy:

No Caption Provided

Black Panther, Rebel for life.

TheDanquah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@majufilip: Yeah, this hooked me too. When they came to the "And you, T'challa?" I just KNEW he would say something like that. That's why he's one of my favorite characters; always just a tad more better than the rest.

RenaissanceMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Panther is a boss.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@humanrocket: Thank you. I couldn't remember what happened with the library. It seems so long ago.

UltronMk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, what an incredible issue. This run Hickman is having is legendary IMHO. It may end up being the best Avengers arc ever. We have gotten 1 arc over 2 books spanning years. An incredible event in Infinity. Seeing everything come to a head is just awesome. Incredible ending to this issue. Very satisfying. Hickman may be the best writer in comics (Scott Snyder would be in that argument for me for sure as well) and kudos to Marvel for allowing him to tell his story, his way, culminating in Secret Wars which is what he always intended. I love long storytelling when done right. I will be heartbroken to see this run end, especially if it means Hickman leaves Marvel (for whatever length of time). But I can't wait to see where this goes. Have been reading since issue 1 on both books. Awesome, awesome ride.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#92  Edited By Teerack

holy hell the ending of this issue.

Sampsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Here's what the super tiny text from Blackbolt says when he was addressing Namor:

"When you see my brother Maximus bid him... FAREWELL!"

Avatar image for justicethorpsylocke
    justicethorpsylocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fantastic issue, great way to kick off Secret Wars. After what happened I see World War Namor on the horizon. Waiting for someone to blow up speech bubble I want to know what BB said?

He said, "When you see my brother tell him...." And then as you know BB said "FAREWELL"

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By EarthsMightiest
    Amratheking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@esparza3368:

Marvel only gives a crap about a handful of characters they're trying to push these days. Angela, Lady Hammer, Miles, Panther, and the Spider-Verse. No other characters get respect. Wolverine-dead. Steve Rogers-depowered. Iron Man-cyborg douche. Thor-no Mjolnir/arm/shirt. Namor-straight up villain. Until status quo (or close enough) returns, make mine anything else!

esparza3368

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amratheking:

I hear you, gets me all frustrated. All because of the Disney vs Fox dispute, now Disney is ignoring and minimizing so much of the Marvel Universe. If you think about it tied to Fantastic Four are Galactus, the Cosmic Heralds, the Skrulls, & the Negative Zone. Tied to X-Men are the Brood, the Phalanx, & the Shiar. Not to mention the most interesting and popular teams were from the X-Men - the X-Men themselves, X-Force, & the New Mutants. Ditto when it came to characters (apart from the Silver Surfer, Hulk, the Punisher, & Spider-Man) the top characters were mutants - Wolverine, Phoenix, Magneto, Psylocke, Apocalypse, & Deadpool.

There might be some hope though, news is Fox and Disney are in talks since Fox wants to jump on the TV live-action superhero bonanza and create live-action shows based on the X-Men Universe. Hope they are able to bury the hatchet so that Marvel gets the ability to start using the word "mutants" again and starts creating additional mutants, and Fox starts to create new X-Men cartoons on top of the live-action TV programs.

boschePG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

there is so much redacted stuff in this thread I feel I have to use my government security clearance just to read this, lol

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers 41, awesome evil Ultimate Reed aka Destroyer of Worlds (67 total death count), and being bored with the whole thing.

Man is cold.....and EVIL lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.