undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

There are many kinds of cross-overs. Ones that require one issue after another of unconnected titles to be read in a particular order to maintain narrative, tie-ins with major events, even issues that are barely connected except when they’re all read. What we have with the current run of AVENGERS titles is something that doesn’t require everything to be read to maintain plot coherency, but IF they all are, the experience is much, much richer. The last issue of NEW AVENGERS took us through the world we dropped into in issue #36 of THIS title, but, in my opinion, went too far without any kind of emotional grounding nor context for what exactly had happened to leave the world in the state it’s in. Jonathan Hickman provides us with a heaping helping of exactly that this issue, and it’s making for one epic, amazing narrative. Apparently the governments of the world found out not JUST about Incursions but about the Cabal’s methods for dealing with them. They are not thrilled with a world (potentially universe) ending event being kept in the hands of a privileged few and now things have degenerated considerably for both sides. S.H.I.E.L.D. finds itself only able to freely within the borders of the United States and the Illuminati is still on the run. As far as we can tell, the Cabal is operating on other Earths with total impunity as well. This issue focuses much more on the S.H.I.E.L.D. side of things than the mostly-disbanded Illuminati and Sue Storm’s role within the new organization. We also get a snapshot of an enraged, impatient Steve Rogers, still in uniform but also depowered. Seeing Cap’s slow motion breakdown is not easy to watch, but considering all that’s gone on, it actually doesn’t feel out of character. We get glimpses of Carol Danvers and Clint Barton as well, but the main event is unequivocally Sue and Steve, both of whom have some very, very interesting developments by issue’s end.

Mike Deodato is back on a Hickman book and he has been missed. His smooth, hyper-detailed linework is perfect for this strangely subdued, suddenly violent issue. There’s also a great deal of extreme contrasts in terms of visual style, from dark, dank underground caverns to the brightly, almost washed-out hallways of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s helicarrier. The style makes everything harsh and heightens the sense of rage-fueled desperation as they scramble to find any trace of the fugitive Illuminati. Frank Martin handles the colors and they complement both the writing and the linework to a tee. Not just the lighting, but the characters themselves appear darker, more shaded and weathered after less than a year. It lends character and depth to the issue.

The Bad

Sue Storm’s motivations, though now more understood, still aren’t terribly well-defined. Without giving anything away, I didn’t know why, exactly, she was doing what she was in NEW AVENGERS, and now I actually know even LESS after this revelation. Likewise the reason for making S.H.I.E.L.D. an organization that can only operate in the US, despite it being international, isn’t terribly fleshed out.

The Verdict

Things are still muddy and mysterious, but this issue, at least, feels like it’s doing far more with the characters it has in terms of defining them and giving them a context in the greater narrative. The fact that it does more to define that NARRATIVE is also not hurting anything. I still have faith that Hickman will fill out the backstory of exactly what went down and while we’re losing out on some emotional investment, there are enough small hints and details to make it feel like it’s all building to something substantial.

DrThanos91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

I agree with the review,Sues character has got me questioning her in this event,but in a good way cause I want to see where her actions lead too and the results

Captain marvels suit is awesome,even more than black outfit form last issue,and Steve's reaction in this issue,wow(not a bad wow by the way)

and this art is great! missed it!

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

So I guess the serum gets partially restored in Steve? He's still old, but certainly moving a lot better. Enough to not need a cane, at least.

Also, loving Carol's look in this issue.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

So I guess the serum gets partially restored in Steve? He's still old, but certainly moving a lot better. Enough to not need a cane, at least.

Also, loving Carol's look in this issue.

Sadly she looks better drawn in Avengers than in her own book.

The New Avengers are really pushing Steve's buttons.

Still so many questions this issue brought up. What happened with Widow and Jessica? Where's Stark? Wonder what happened with Black Bolt and how all of this ties back to what Steve experiences in the time jumps. Darn you Hickman for making me wait...

DrThanos91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanrocket: I was wondering the same thing,wheres widow and spider women( i feel she may be involved in spider verse event),black widow would be the perfect perfect person to be involved in the story right now

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@drthanos91: This book is taking place several months ahead of Spider Verse. Remember, this is a jump in time, and not actually taking place right now. So Jessica is one of the Spiders to live through Spider Verse.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved this issue, I'm curious about X-Nation

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
    DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

god this was good

jaybefre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jaybefre

"Sunspot bought AIM?" - Steve Rogers

That was funny to me. He was genuinely surprised to hear that Sunspot was ballin' like that now. Lol.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Marvel looks amazing in this book

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops was right. Cap is hypocrite.

DrThanos91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DrThanos91

@humanrocket: gotcha,I wonder if it has anything to do with secret avengers story arc(maybe a tie ,doubt it but hey anythings possible)

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Beast and Hulk scene was hilarious

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was good. I like to see Steve losing his temper a bit.

Side note, LOVE Deodato's work, but anyone else HATE his Beast? Straight-up ape.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good issue, CM did look good and I suspect that SHIELD doesn't trust Sue as much as she thinks, where are Black Widow and Spider Woman, there watching you Sue there watching you real close.

Steve is all bent over the Illuminati but I would probably be more worried over having Thanos and his funky bunch running around blowing up Earths, at least Steve did tell TV monitor Terrax his day was coming too!

ChairmanMeow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carol looks awful in this book. The greyscale outfit is interesting, but her face is creepy, and her thighs are bigger than her waist. Looks good on the cover though.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanrocket: I was wondering the same thing,wheres widow and spider women( i feel she may be involved in spider verse event),black widow would be the perfect perfect person to be involved in the story right now

I think that the Black Widow is better off doing her solo missions and Jessica in the Spider-Verse.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the Illuminati very supervillain like as they were taunting Steve. I really got the feeling that they'd like nothing more than to push him into a heart attack. Sue was her usual doormat self as far as Reed went.

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does marvel make me want to hate Cap! I feel like it is a total role reversal from what he stood for during civil war. Im justifying his actions by saying he is a grumpy old man lol.

saucygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have I mentioned that I love Hickman, cause if I didn't....dude just made the last issue of new avengers far more interesting

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found it interesting that in CW Carol was hunting Steve for Tony and now she's hunting Tony for Steve. I guess she'll just dance to the tune of who's ever in charge. I wonder if Steve promised her a Helicarrier and an Avengers team of her own if she brought in Tony and I wonder if she'll beat up any more women infront of their kids to do it.

Alucard2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Loved this issue Jonathan Hickman knows how to tell a tale that will initially mess with your head but man does his writing has pay offs and the artwork I just love the art work by Mike Deodata.

mtgarza2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys. Sue is just showing that love conquers all. She loves her husband. Motivation enough maybe? haha

ssulti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoa Black Panther got sh*ted on

the united nation sacrificed wakanda to the cabal in exchange of protecting the world from incursions. I wonder what BP is going to do next now that he has lost everything.

Also that scene with Hulk & beast taunting cap, GOLD. "Better your game up son"

Crimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the Illuminati very supervillain like as they were taunting Steve. I really got the feeling that they'd like nothing more than to push him into a heart attack. Sue was her usual doormat self as far as Reed went.

I don't think she is being a doormat, why would she help someone hunt down her husband? Especially after what happened between them in the Fantastic Four book. What's more important right now are the incursions, also we don't know her reaction when she initially found out the truth. I'd rather her work to help stop the incursions than hunt her down her husband for grumpy, old man Steve.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mark_Stephen

@crimz: The husband who completely left her in the dark the day the world was supposed to end by incursion and took her on a day trip to Latveria? The husband who never told her about shooting the Hulk into space, blowing up Hulkworld (if only indirectly), who's treated her like a kid sidekick for years now? Yea, in my opinion he's been treating her like a doormat and Sue being a marvel female just takes it.

Personally I think all of the major characters in this series are about as worthless as you are going to find and at this point I'd welcome an incursion taking them out. There's gotta be some heros who still stick to honor, friendship and principle somewhere in the marvel multiverse, these guys are supervillains riding on past legacy of good deeds.

Crimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: I see your point, I don't think she is as bad as the others or villainous. She always had a major blind spot for Reed, I think it's because writers don't want to split up the longest running married couple in comics. I think she should leave him she'd be much better off, he really drags her down.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crimz: I'm not sure about leaving, though after this I'd like it to be at least a possibility. But after civil war all it took was a second honeymoon to bring her around and in World War Hulk the most that happened was that she gave him a mean look. I lost a lot of respect for the character after that.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Don't really like the characterization of Steve's character lately

He has become really unlikable and is just acting like a total jerk :(

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet

Tiamut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesomeness.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#33  Edited By Teerack

It was really cool that it looked like Steve Rogers got the Super Solider Serum back but it didn't un-age him. Since he is buff and looks like what an old Cap would look like and not an old version of pre super solider serum Steve Rogers would look, like he is now with the cane.

Reed and Sue at the end made me so so so so so happy. The Fantastic Four is my favorite and I have been SO sad that Sue and Reed were looking done, but now I'm happy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.