gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

It's always cool getting these sort of wrap up stories after a big event. As great as it would be to just jump into the next big adventure, getting to see the team unwind is fun and makes the characters feel more realistic. That being said, Jonathan Hickman does still throw the next big adventure at us.

To make things even bigger, we start off a thousand years in the future. Glimpses into the future always guarantees a crazy good time and it starts off a chain of events that will hopefully be further explored later. There's a big problem for the team to handle. This is another example of the benefit of having such a diverse roster - the members needed for the job are at hand.

There's a lot of impressive art here. Not only do we get Esad Ribic, we also see some art from Mike Deodato, Salvador Larroca and Butch Guice. What bridges it all together is the strong and consistent colors by Dean White, Frank Martin, Paul Mounts and Laura Martin. Normally I cringe at the idea of a vast creative team on the same issue but it works here as you find yourself focused on the story.

The Bad

Future stories are always cool but we've seen so many now. It gets hard to keep track of them all. Not a lot is explained in the reasoning or motives of the future characters so we'll have to wait to see what comes from all of this. Hopefully we'll find out more behind the idea of the Rogue Planet.

All the Avengers together and relaxing at a barbecue at the Avengers Tower is fun but it's a little weird seeing them all in costume. Sure, some have secret identities but it feels less like they're a team when they can't trust each other or feel comfortable enough to dress more casually.

This is supposed to be a jumping on point but new readers might be wondering who some of the team members are.

The Verdict

Even when the Avengers are relaxing after a big event, you can count on the action to kick in. We see what the team does next and what Captain America and Iron Man think about the team's roster as well as where they'll go next. This might be a new jumping on point but you'll still want to know who all the characters are in order to fully appreciate all the interaction between them. There are a lot of great artists in this issue and it doesn't come across as cluttered or disjointed. You will get a sense of the big scope that Jonathan Hickman has been carving out with the Avengers. It's a great time to be an Avengers fan.

captain_elburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I liked Infinity but it was a little confusing with characters I'm not familiar with. Looking forward to what happens next.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked this issues story. Some nice sci-fi, character interaction and I'm interested to see where this goes. I did have a problem with the artists but the change was smooth at least.

Just wondering, was the page count higher? It was a buck more and I haven't read any avengers since pre infinity. Has this been a trend so far?

Airmansmith21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hyperion and thor team up was cool

InFamous_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I liked Infinity but it was a little confusing with characters I'm not familiar with. Looking forward to what happens next.

Same here, but I got over it.

terror_shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I completely skipped Infinity, but I might pick this up. I've been wanting to check out Avengers ever since I heard Starbrand joined the team.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By spinningbirdcake

I wonder if this new story is going to feel like it's moving at a snail's pace because we're coming off double shipping.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read all of Infinity, are Ex Nihilo and Abyss coming back soon?

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscars94 said:

I read all of Infinity, are Ex Nihilo and Abyss coming back soon?

Hopefully they don't

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Wow, $4.99 for this? Not exactly a price friendly jumping on point.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grenadeflow: You're not a fan? I thought they were quite interesting, although I didn't quite understand what happened to the other Ex Nihili.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscars94 said:

@grenadeflow: You're not a fan? I thought they were quite interesting, although I didn't quite understand what happened to the other Ex Nihili.

I thought they were bland

Wow, $4.99 for this? Not exactly a price friendly jumping on point.

It has extra pages

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

Thor cooks, Hulk serves, Hyperion catches a planet and we find out Tony's granddaughter may be smarter than him and is definitely just as arrogant and black too. THIS IS AWSEOME!!

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super excited to read this! I both both the regular issue and the Acuna variant.

mattwing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this cover! As a coincidence my local comic book shop gave out giant posters of this issue!!!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

This wasn't a bad issue but I had a few problems with it but it was a definite break from all of the other stuff that happen in Avengers that I hate.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Curious as to where this will lead in the future, it's obviously setting things up for a future conflict between The Avengers and the Illuminati. The future sounds grim for Tony Stark, but again it seems that it always does (lol), but I can't help but feel like I've read this story before. I'm sure Hickman has some surprises in store for us, but with the whole foreshadowing with Tony having his allies apparently trying to "kill him," it feels like Civil War all over again.

Overall, I'm curious as to what Hickman has in store for us.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: Maybe, but Hickman made it seem like Tony isn't really going to have many people on his side this time. During Civil War people were gunning for him but he had tons of resources. I wouldn't be surprised if Hickman puts him through the gauntlet without much help.

Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So I just finished Infinity, and I have no freaking idea what's going on. Like is it the apocalypse or what?

Too bad there's a giant threat headed towards Earth.

Let's not pretend that this doesn't happen every other week. Wait no, that's DC. Marvel usually keeps space and Earth separate.

ScumDestroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ScumDestroy

@herokiller12344: you should catch up New Avengers! I think it explains the Illuminati side of things and the foreshadowing for the grim future is foreshadowed pretty strongly in the last issue. and also.. it rules, ya know?

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@war_killer: Maybe, but Hickman made it seem like Tony isn't really going to have many people on his side this time. During Civil War people were gunning for him but he had tons of resources. I wouldn't be surprised if Hickman puts him through the gauntlet without much help.

True, and I have a feeling this will be a lot different than Civil War. I'm curious on how Steve will take having his memory wiped, I have a feeling that might strain his and Tony's relationship even more than it already has been in the past few years.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something confused me by the conclusion of this. Was this story just a one-shot arc? Because I know the New Old Avengers are being brought to the present in the next issue so I'm assuming that's a new arc which would be a proper jumping on point too.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The pace for this was pretty rushed. The threat was introduced and resolved so quickly I had whiplash.

No Caption Provided

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I want beer pie now

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@oscars94: last I checked with the final issue of Inifnity they were with the other ExNihilio rebuilding other worlds that the builders had destroyed so I hope they come back soon.

Hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hassun

I'm getting really tired of these time travel stories.

The art in this was great, but holy hell does the premise seem boring.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Meh.

Rolls7royce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought time was broken in the MU. Was that a one time thing to bring in Angela and move Galactus?

admwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By admwriter

Oh Manifold. He exists simply for Cap to say some variation of "Okay, Eden, now..." every issue.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ending felt a bit abrupt but curious in seeing what goes down next. Just read New Avengers 1-6 so I am definitely interested in seeing what happens with the Illuminati.

E1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscars94 said:

They lived happily ever after on heir own planet, creating suff as they were supposed too, it's said at the end of Infinity or maybe in New avengers 12.

This issue was a great #1. It makes me want to know more while getting enough laugh and action to feel good. I don't get yet why we had to have a 3030 Iron man coming from the future to have this story, this kind of story gets old "the future is in danger, we have to go back to fix stuff".

What I really dont like is how the Illumunati comes poping in this series. I liked that Avengers up until Infinity was doing their own thing. You didn't have to read some other comics to understand it. A self-sufficient story is something rare at Marvel, I hope it will stay this way.

5$ is just too much, if they wanted to kill their physical copy readership they wouldn't do it differently !

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.