undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

I just knew that if I gave this heady, bizarre, cerebral, sci-fi superhero book enough time that things would begin falling into place, and so they have. There's no massive, grand pay-off nor spectacular "AH-HAH!" moment, but things are definitely moving in a logical, thought-out direction, one that is rewarding longtime readers of Hickman and Spencer's work on this title as well as Secret Avengers. Johnathan Hickman and Nick Spencer's collaboration on this book has been an absolute joy to read, and it is very, very hard to summarize, but I shall give it my best. Last issue saw a strange automaton, somehow linked both to the mysterious life bombs that crashed various places on Earth. The entity overcame the combined might of some of the strongest Avengers, leaving the entire team in a ruined pile before emissaries of A.I.M. Island, where the creature wasn't created but it did originate, appeared on the scene. This issue opens with them reclaiming their "property," but suspiciously not taking advantage of the prone, vulnerable Avengers, an option which is quickly off the table upon Eden's return, using his teleportation powers in ways that were scarcely thought possible prior. Thereafter, he relays a message from Captain Universe about the need for Avengers to grow their ranks, and they realize what that will truly entail. Hickman and Spencer, as always, tread the very fine line between analytical and dry dialog VS solid characterization, but it's a balance they strike perfectly. Despite the epic scope of the events taking place (and they are cosmic-level events, even though the book is set primarily on Earth) and despite most of the involved characters being some of the oldest and most well-worn in Marvel's entire roster, Hickman and Spencer STILL feel like they have fresh takes on them and the situations they're facing.

Stefano Caselli's got some company on artistic duties in the last several pages of the issue as he's joined by Marco Rudy and Marco Checchetto (with Frank Martin handling the colors across all three artists, lending a great deal of continuity of tone). Caselli continues its trend of being perfectly suited to this title, his strange, sometimes hilarious, facial expressions blending perfectly with the larger-than-life events occurring on nearly every panel. This is an action-light issue, so it's up to him to make the most out of heroes standing or sitting and talking about what to do next, but fortunately: that happens to be something he does extremely well. One of the many advantages to how dynamically and detailed he is with faces is that even conversational panels have their own kind of excitement. Likewise, Marco Checchetto is fresh off a great few issues of Spider-Man and Punisher and brings the same bright, sparking gravitas to this title that he brought to those, making the panels feel electric and kinetic, again, while very little action is actually happening on them.

The Bad

I, unfortunately, have to put the third artist Marco Rudy in this column and not because his art is bad by any stretch, but because it really doesn't fit the tone of the title. He takes over after the heroes go off-planet, but his art would be much, much more suitable for something more like Secret Avengers, or another, more grounded, title. Some of his panels are entirely too shadowy for what's going on, others are flat, though fortunately not drab. Ultimately, it's an unfortunate mistake in tone and that's something that could be said of the middle of the book in general. None of the art is bad, but even with Frank Martin keeping the colors consistent (and positively popping), the visuals grind as they shift gears, and while it's only eight pages of content, it's still noticeable and unfortunate.

The Verdict

This issue concludes with the words "End Prelude," and with what is established (and what is the final visual) at issue's end, it's a wild ending. I wouldn't go so far as to declare "nothing will be the same" or "world will be shattered," but this new roster has a ton of potential to go very, very right or very, very, very wrong (and I mean both in the best possible way) so I truly can't wait to see what this book has to offer next. This issue ties together several dangling plot threads while leaving enough touched upon, but unanswered, to make the upcoming weeks and months ones to very much anticipate, but as all good lead-ins do: it also stands remarkably well on its own. If you've been reading the Avengers since Marvel NOW's launch, you're already picking this up, but if you haven't, get ahold of some back issues and grab this one while you're at it because something big is coming and this is just the book to introduce you to it.

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Jeez, why is everyone an Avenger nowadays?! Not so much a team as an open invitation to anyone in a colourful get up

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All these massive events one after another is just boring now. It matters not how good the story is, the whole idea of consecutive apocalypses is just stupid.

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

huge fan of Stefano Caselli. when i first saw the team featured on the covers of Avengers 1-3 I instantly wanted him on this book. im interested to see who will join the team. if they arent picking up more people from Earth, then its anyones guess as to who will join

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By spinningbirdcake

@lordrequiem: couldn't agree more. But that's why I just ignore the one I'm not interested. The last marvel event I read while it was coming out was civil war. I thought this issue was great. It'll be interesting to see how 2 of these new recruits take orders.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WAIT I know!!! Spawn will come now

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hawkguy

@lordrequiem: I agree. They've burrowed themselves into a corner, what can top a now multi verse wide event???

Why restarting the entire marvel universe can! ;)

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 3

You know what really bothers me about this issue?

Ex Nihilio is now an Avenger. The guy who killed millions of people from Mars is now an Avenger!

So, what, are they just going to make anyone an Avenger if they're strong enough? "Hey Red Skull! Want to stop killing people and become an Avenger?" I mean, Seriously?! Two million people...DEAD from that guy, and now he's an Avenger?!
    I quit. Because obviously Hickman doesn't believe that saving lives means anything anymore.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@cafeterialoca: Hickman showed that it was a decision that Steve and Tony labored over and it was only after Eden delivered the message that they weren't strong enough to handle the next threat. This was greatly shown as they were just decimated by the machine in Perth. It's the lesser of two evils to prevent the end of the world and face the threats that will be unveiled in Infinity.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The thing i am worried about is, if handled properly, this avengers team has a massive, massive powerhouse in Starbrand. That thing has the potential to do just about anything, including standing up to LT as near equal. It will be pretty cool to see how thats handled.

Its official, power-wise, Avengers team is pretty massive.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@killemall: They put the Justice League to shame now.(I love you Superman!!!) I think in the over all history of both teams the Avengers over all has over all more powerful members. Thor, Hulk, Sentry, Wonder Man, Hyperion, Captain Universe, Ex Nihilio, Starbrand etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453
    deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok I just had my mind blown I could have sworn that Ex Nihilo was a pre existing character but I just found out that Hickmen created him for this comic.

dbatdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killemall: They put the Justice League to shame now.(I love you Superman!!!) I think in the over all history of both teams the Avengers over all has over all more powerful members. Thor, Hulk, Sentry, Wonder Man, Hyperion, Captain Universe, Ex Nihilio, Starbrand etc.

may be more powerful, but not marketable as the JLA :)

Gritterr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cafeterialoca: Hickman showed that it was a decision that Steve and Tony labored over and it was only after Eden delivered the message that they weren't strong enough to handle the next threat. This was greatly shown as they were just decimated by the machine in Perth. It's the lesser of two evils to prevent the end of the world and face the threats that will be unveiled in Infinity.

This times 10. people crying are ignoring blatant facts. if you just got wrecked by a robot and the personification of the universe tells you whats coming is worse and you need to get bigger what else are you going to do?

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Posted by Cap10nate - August 07, 2013 at 6:06 PM

This.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I really got annoyed when i saw Marco Rudy's art... Ex Nihilo looked skinny for some reason and Captain Marvel had an 80s haircut lol. But when it went to marco checchetto's art, it was awesome sauce.

Ijan092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ijan092

@cafeterialoca said:

You know what really bothers me about this issue?

Ex Nihilio is now an Avenger. The guy who killed millions of people from Mars is now an Avenger!

So, what, are they just going to make anyone an Avenger if they're strong enough? "Hey Red Skull! Want to stop killing people and become an Avenger?" I mean, Seriously?! Two million people...DEAD from that guy, and now he's an Avenger?!

I quit. Because obviously Hickman doesn't believe that saving lives means anything anymore.

Star Brand also killed it was an accident tho.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice they have 4 new members now. I wonder who's next would like GR, BM, BRB, SS and Glads join in. lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.