undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Last issue represented an inversion of a few different sorts, the most obvious being the spell Scarlet Witch and Dr. Doom cast to restore Red Skull to his original form, but in addition it was villains VS villains to end Red Onslaught’s threat before it consumed the Earth. Everything seemed to go off without a hitch, but everyone was acting a little...let’s say disgruntled by the end. This issue picks up two weeks later and Rick Remender very quickly establishes that everything is not as it should be. The X-Men make a shocking revelation, the newly minted Captain America turns his back, along with the rest of the Avengers, on S.H.I.E.L.D., and general chaos breaks out. We even get an interlude checking in on Carnage that will make a lot more sense if you’ve read his tie-in, but still stands on its own as a great, humorous aside. There’s clearly something wrong here that almost no one is seeing, but Remender does a great job of having the characters’ interactions be supportable in terms of their characters. The character dynamics feel motivated, if extreme, and that allows for the suspension of disbelief, along with the audience clearly knowing something the characters don’t.

Leinil Yu’s back again with some great art. I’m constantly impressed by his ability to adapt his style to so many different kinds of books. This issue is more staid and mellow than previous ones, and Yu’s art reflects that with softer lines and subtler facial expressions. But when the book calls for it, he can still bring the forceful, kinectic impact along with Gerry Alanguilan. And of course colors are a huge part of tone, which is brought to this issue by Edgar Delgado and, again, there’s a brightness of tone that’s prevalent across the issue. It’s the shadows where things get interesting: almost all the major players’ faces are darkened with heavy, almost ubiquitous shadow across their features. It’s a great stylistic choice that lets the reader know something is going on without tipping their hand within the narrative.

The Bad

The characters act just fine within their own motivations, but there’s a certain disconnect in their interactions with one another. From Hulk reverting back to his monosyllabic speaking (which could be a result of the Inversion spell), in spite of Doc Green’s presence being acknowledged in the book to the X-Men’s reveal that arrives with absolutely ZERO fanfare. The return of Apocalypse has always come with global events, including the recruitment of four “horsemen” but this time he’s literally just standing behind a curtain they unveil in the same manner as a gameshow prize. We also see the “return” of a very specific Hulk villain, but in a completely different form from an entirely different source, but using the same name and mannerisms. The core problem with all this is that it occurs with little-to-no emotional impact. The book is operating at such a frantic pace that nothing has time to sink in and stakes are rarely established, it’s contingent on the reader to know the significance of these characters AND decide how they feel, rather than guiding us on a journey.

The Verdict

AXIS has a great core concept, but the devil’s in the details of making a truly great, memorable event. In this case: the details are muddled and indistinct and the emotional stakes simply aren’t there. To put it another way: I enjoy what’s happening, but I don’t like HOW it’s happening. The art is still a standout and the team does a great job communicating both tone and implying so much more, but the writing isn’t sustaining an ongoing sense of interest and comings-and-goings of this issue in particular feel like they're happening because they must rather than should.

Blackice709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I give this a 5

Aliltron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 16

I agree with this review, but I'd lower it to a 2/5. Did not enjoy it as much as I wanted, especially since #3 was good.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Man, the Comic Vine gang does not seem to be big fans of this event. Is everyone else feeling the same way? I'm currently catching up on Uncanny Avengers so I can read this event, and it almost seems like I'm doing so in vain.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@drellassassin said:

Man, the Comic Vine gang does not seem to be big fans of this event. Is everyone else feeling the same way? I'm currently catching up on Uncanny Avengers so I can read this event, and it almost seems like I'm doing so in vain.

I've heard a few people say good things, but other then that most people and reviewers are not big on this comic. I'd say you should still try it though.

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i hadnt liked any of the 3 episodes before this one. but THIS one was AWESOME. i loved it.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone seems heavily out of character here, but I guess that's what the spell did.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Remender hasn't written anything good in mainstream comics since X-Force.

Avatar image for spacemanspiff85
    spacemanspiff85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked this. I also thought it was pretty significant that the Avengers at least are aware that their behavior's been altered, but they're okay with it. That seemed like a big thing to me.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

Remender hasn't written anything good in mainstream comics since X-Force.

How new reader friendly and self contained is that series? because everyone says it's really good and I'm thinking of picking it up.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the heroes didn't win, Red Onslaught made them believe they won and are still manipulating their emotions and actions.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

@captainmarvel4ever: I was pretty new to comics when I picked up and read all of Remender's Uncanny X-Force and I can say with confidence that it was pretty new reader friendly. It is still one of my favorite comic book runs ever.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4/5 funny better without hentai skull (going to trademark that). Mutant army building, bloodthirsty kulh. a hole avengers. Man this could be great.

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
    DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yea, this was just a really unclear and bizarre issue. 2/5 imo

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syncig said:

@captainmarvel4ever: I was pretty new to comics when I picked up and read all of Remender's Uncanny X-Force and I can say with confidence that it was pretty new reader friendly. It is still one of my favorite comic book runs ever.

Cool, I think I'll pick it up then, thanks for the helpful advice.

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
    RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weren't we supposed to see a founding Avenger quit in this issue? I don't remember that happening, unless that's how we're supposed to interpret the Kluh scene (which I don't think we are). Also, Doom didn't appear in a single panel. For God's sake Marvel, if you're going to solicit an event book you should at least make sure the solicit is accurate.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not a good issue in my opinion. The whole issue was set up for the next part of the series. It has only been one issue and the inversion personalities are already growing old.

adrianjfm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By adrianjfm

it is a 5 for me

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Hm

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By DrellAssassin

@drellassassin said:

I've heard a few people say good things, but other then that most people and reviewers are not big on this comic. I'd say you should still try it though.

Thanks, I'll think I'll at least go through issue 17 (which is where the Comixology sale ended).

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Based on the reviews I've been seeing, I'm really happy I passed on Axis.

RageEx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually liked this issue, it was fun seeing the inversions

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting.

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Why read AXIS which is average event when you don't read good event like Green Lantern/New Gods : Godhead :)

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow Good and Evil are apparently black and white.... are we sure this by the real Rick Remender?
    How was Corey 'Undeadpool' Schroeder unable to notice this as the most glaring flaw of this book?

Do marvel really think its audience are this stupid?

Is Rick Remender secretly mocking events with Axis?

Avatar image for batmanonthemoon
    BatmanOnTheMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmanonthemoon: I haven't read this and probably won't. It reeks of editorial interference and seems to be half baked and rushed from what I've heard.

He'll catch us up to speed when Uncanny relaunches.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kluh.... I dare you to come up with a more creative name/character...

Roy_el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Out of five...I give it a two.

I'm just not feeling it.

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By tximinoman

This was the worst so far. I don't know, it's just too damn confusing. I mean, the heroes realize they're not acting normal but apparently don't care about it. Then you have Carnage acting all heroic and not caring about it as well (he's a psychopath, if I enjoyed murdering people I will be confused if all of a sudden I started helping them out). I guess the point is that Red Onslaught (or Scarlett Witch's spell or whatever it was) has changed them to the core so they don't even care about having changed but... it's just weird.

Like the X-Men working with Apocalypse. First of all, why did Evan grew up? Why couldn't they have a teenager Apocalypse? you know, Evan with the same ambitions everyone's so scared he'll end up having but with his looks. Then there's the fact that no one in the school seem to care (or at least Remender fails at making it look that way) about what's going on. I get the mutants that were fighting the Red Onslaught are changed, but dude, there's a whole school full of mutants who weren't there, and no one cares?

And let's not talk about Kluh... that's just ridiculous.

I love Remender's work and so far I was enjoying this event a lot but this is just too strange and fast for me.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Bubbles will save us.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not really into the event because it rehashes the last couple of ''events'' hell ever since the Civil War. Something happens, Heroes fight eachother and a new status quo where everybody is being angry with eachother. Its like there is no unity left and everytime they get into eachothers throats more than they are fighting the villians.

Hell the only one I follow is Deadpool for this event at this point since it actually gives an interesting outlook with 'zenpool' being in charge now. But heroes getting ''inverted'' to act like a-holes ? Been there, seen that.

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By rev_sulphur

It was an awesome issue. At first I was a bit confused about what the hell was happening. Than I remembered Doctor Doom and Scarlet Witches Inversion Spell. Which in turn made the Carnage and Hobgoblin solos make sense. Apocalypse back has me excited. I did get a bit of a AVX feel from it but more hateful. Can't wait to see how this pans out and I am looking forward to Superior Iron-Man as well.

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get how Apocolypse is here now? I think i've missed something.

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would give it a 3.5/4. Everyone is acting out of character and that's cool. They are a few stuff I didn't like,Like after KLUH came out he kicked down the Avengers and was like I'm going to go on a rampage and destroy all sorts of things for fun. The Avengers even though are inverted were like, now that he is gone we need to focus on Red Skull he is the bigger problem here and we better stay out of KLUHs way. Like what???? U think a planetary force like the Hulk is less dangerous than the red skull ? In my opinion it's just as bad.

consafo80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not read this issue yet will pick it up on Saturday but so far I'm loving it.

Roy_el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Roy_el

This was the worst so far. I don't know, it's just too damn confusing. I mean, the heroes realize they're not acting normal but apparently don't care about it. Then you have Carnage acting all heroic and not caring about it as well (he's a psychopath, if I enjoyed murdering people I will be confused if all of a sudden I started helping them out). I guess the point is that Red Onslaught (or Scarlett Witch's spell or whatever it was) has changed them to the core so they don't even care about having changed but... it's just weird.

Like the X-Men working with Apocalypse. First of all, why did Evan grew up? Why couldn't they have a teenager Apocalypse? you know, Evan with the same ambitions everyone's so scared he'll end up having but with his looks. Then there's the fact that no one in the school seem to care (or at least Remender fails at making it look that way) about what's going on. I get the mutants that were fighting the Red Onslaught are changed, but dude, there's a whole school full of mutants who weren't there, and no one cares?

And let's not talk about Kluh... that's just ridiculous.

I love Remender's work and so far I was enjoying this event a lot but this is just too strange and fast for me.

That's what is bothering me about the whole event. It's kind of like a Michael bay movie. BOOM CRASH carnage is good. Change scenes and BOOM hey apocalypse.

No reaction from anyone in the school. No explanation if this is just Evan with his personality flipped or the actual apocalypse. It just throws you in and whips you out of a scene before you get to learn anything.

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's an apocalypse clone Fantomex made during Uncanny X-Force. The thing is, during their first mission, they found this Apocalypse kid who Fantomex killed. After that he cloned him and grew him in a laboratory in "The World". During his time in Fantomex's lab, Evan (which is the name of the clone) was connected to a virtual reality program where he experimented a normal childhood at a farm.

Fantomex was (I guess) trying to prove that someone like Apocalypse wasn't born a monster or something like that... I don't know.

The thing is, during Dark Angel saga he was forced to release Evan and after that he started studying at Jean Grey's School using the codename "Genesis". Why he stopped looking like his teenage self and started looking like Apocalypse last issue is something I can't explain though.

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

This is leading to the next AvX, or not. Whatever happens war is coming and x-men will triumph

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By eamon542000

Really like this issue, cool to see that the charcters understand they arent in the right frame of mind but still act how they feel they should

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I enjoy this issue

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was a great issue. Maybe not mind blowing but definitely a fun read. These heroes and villains are suppose to act out of character and this inversion spell gives us a good reason to suspend our doubts. Carnage is helping people because he feels the need to help others. If you read Axis Revolutions you understand why spider-man was not effected. Speaking of Revolutions, that was the best Axis issue so far if not my favorite comic last week and it didn't get any recognition.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asjmooney said:

He's an apocalypse clone Fantomex made during Uncanny X-Force.

Fantomex was (I guess) trying to prove that someone like Apocalypse wasn't born a monster or something like that... I don't know.

The thing is, during Dark Angel saga he was forced to release Evan and after that he started studying at Jean Grey's School using the codename "Genesis". Why he stopped looking like his teenage self and started looking like Apocalypse last issue is something I can't explain though.

I think someone was spot on when they said this could be the Red Onslaught messing with them still. All the heroes "worst sides" have come to the fore, which could also be Evan imagining the worst side of himself as a fully grown Apocalypse.

The Deadpool tie-in was excellent, and actually covered a lot of this in better depth than the main title. I am feeling sorry for poor old Wade with the amount of disrespect he's been getting from the "major" characters. He rescues Iron Man without even a thank you (before the inversion), and takes them all being a-holes in his stride. Letting ZenPool take the wheel was a good call.

Now that KLUH is on the rampage, we'd better look out for his team-mates; NAM-NORI, and ROHT!!!!

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starbrand1 said:

@captainmarvel4ever:

im convinced you dont read anything, except for reviews on comic vine.

Why? just because I'm skipping an expensive event that reviewers and most readers don't like?

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By StarBrand1

@captainmarvel4ever:

no, because you post on nearly everything and never seem to read anything but reviews.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever:

no, because you post on nearly everything and never seem to read anything but reviews.

And exactly how would you know what I am or am not reading?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.