Follow

Avengers vs. X-Men

Story arc »

Marvel Comics' 2012 event. As a repercussion from the events that took place in The Children's Crusade, Fear Itself, Schism, and X-Sanction, the Avengers and X-Men go to war over the return of the Phoenix Force.

X-Men vs. Avengers: What is the point?

OracleX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By OracleX

My reaction to Avengers vs. X-Men:

OH COME ON!

This story has been rehashed constantly over the years. The Ultimates had similar on-going stories every other cycle.

What the heck it the big deal?

The X-Men and Avengers are both teams of super-heroes. The main difference is the fact that X-Men got their powers, whether they liked them or not as result of a genetic mutation. The Avengers are composed of super-heroes who had their bodies messed up with through science or magic and decided to use their abilities for good. Others chose to be heroes by becoming super-skilled in something.

Yes the threat of Onslaught or the Phoenix or the Scarlet Witch are valid concerns. But so is Hulk losing it. Sending him into space was a terrific idea. Then there is whatever Tony Stark is up to that he thinks will help protect the world by controlling it. Both teams have skeletons in their fortresses that could come back to haunt them.

I am just not that big a fan of event comics and Marvel seems to be running out of ideas. So is DC in some respects though the "New 52" hasn't lost all of its shock value yet.

Sorry if this thread has already been done. My curiosity stems from the fact that these plots appears regularly in the wilki profiles.

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

1 - $$$ and sales, Marvel is getting crushed by DC and the New 52 and this is a surefire way to sell a ton of issues and close the gap, at least temporarily.

2 - We have yet to see how it plays out, but I also have little faith that the story will justify the event.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    Money.
    Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

Basically money. Marvel's trying to make more profits by having a random event every month. I agree that it's not really necessary to have the X-Men fight the Avengers, especially when they are in the middle of a Schism within their team and I still want to see how that plays out first before they move on into another event.

Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Kurrent

I like the idea. The X-men have been getting crapped on and it's time to fight back

OmegaHans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By OmegaHans

@Rabbitearsblog said:

Basically money. Marvel's trying to make more profits by having a random event every month. I agree that it's not really necessary to have the X-Men fight the Avengers, especially when they are in the middle of a Schism within their team and I still want to see how that plays out first before they move on into another event.

Funny I remember you saying you kinda didn't mind the idea in the X-Men board.

Here is why I support this. The X-Men books have especially been boring and stale due to every time Fraction or anyone after him would come up with any of their stupid ideas they'd realize at the last minute after the books came out that they may have been bad ideas after that fact they realized they weren't selling as well as they should, so they'd get on their knees and beg Quesada or Alonso to get switched to another title. But that's beside the point, what we really have here is an opportunity to Number 1, possibly bring Jean Grey back full time, 2. Possibly do something relevant with Hope instead of these playground games Marvel keeps begging us to read, 3, we really get to usher in the question again of mutants and the responsibility of how they use their powers in the Marvel universe according to how the Avengers (who I admit, I will most likely be siding with them when I read this book, since I like them better right now) would like to see it, and you get the feeling that Scott is going to tell them to p**s off seeing how he's turning out to be much like another Magneto, you can disagree if you want I don't care. But, I personally have been waiting for this. All I ask is they be written good and not given to half-cocked retards like Loeb.

And if this doesn't happen either way I am ready to give this event a chance.

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

It's stupid and it'll do nothing to help either books. Most event books are like boring summer blockbusters. It's all based on some stupid premise, dull moments meant to be character moments when actually the character is acting out of character and that moment does nothing to progress the character, and stupid, pointless action scenes. I don't see how another plot driven event book is going to help the books a year after this event ends. Will this help the character development in X-books and Avenger books? Probably not. If you want to see comics improve, especially the X-Men books, you should hope Marvel goes in the direction Rick Remender has in Uncanny X-Force instead of relying on events.

I'll give the first issue a try, but if it's not good I'll drop it. Unlike most people that threaten to drop books, I actually do. I've hardly read any event books or tie-ins. I didn't read Fear Itself, Blackest Night, Flashpoint, Siege, etc. I'm reading a bunch of DC books due to the reboot, so I have no problem not reading Marvel for a couple of months.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@OmegaHans said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

Funny I remember you saying you kinda didn't mind the idea in the X-Men board.

Here is why I support this. The X-Men books have especially been boring and stale due to every time Fraction or anyone after him would come up with any of their stupid ideas they'd realize at the last minute after the books came out that they may have been bad ideas after that fact they realized they weren't selling as well as they should, so they'd get on their knees and beg Quesada or Alonso to get switched to another title. But that's beside the point, what we really have here is an opportunity to Number 1, possibly bring Jean Grey back full time, 2. Possibly do something relevant with Hope instead of these playground games Marvel keeps begging us to read, 3, we really get to usher in the question again of mutants and the responsibility of how they use their powers in the Marvel universe according to how the Avengers (who I admit, I will most likely be siding with them when I read this book, since I like them better right now) would like to see it, and you get the feeling that Scott is going to tell them to p**s off seeing how he's turning out to be much like another Magneto, you can disagree if you want I don't care. But, I personally have been waiting for this. All I ask is they be written good and not given to half-cocked retards like Loeb.

And if this doesn't happen either way I am ready to give this event a chance.

Oh no, I was referring to Schism.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By batkevin74

Well I just got the first issue of X-Sanction or whatever it's called. The art works is good...that's kinda it but it is only issue #1.

redmanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By redmanta

the point is too take more money from us

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#11  Edited By The Impersonator

It's all about money. Even though I hated the fact there are so many events being brought from Marvel, there are interesting stories. But I would actually prefer stand-alone stories for a WHILE. Marvel fears that new fans wouldn't like stand-alone stories. If you take an example of a TV series. People don't find interesting in all of these stand-alone episodes even though they are really interesting to watch. It depends on the target audience and what they want out from the house of ideas. This is the reason why Marvel is writing a lot of events unlike DC. So yeah, it's all about cashing in and finding new readers to read their special events.

Edgeworth_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Edgeworth_11

You guys do realize the industry needs money to survive? you want comics to cease existing? think with your heads before making stupid remarks! ofcourse it is about the money, but seriously which company isn't? would you work for free? didn't so. i am sure they want to give us fans, the REAL fans what we want while they make money. but either way, you will all buy this book and the writers will take turns f-ing your faces lol

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Gambit1024

@Kurrent said:

I like the idea. The X-men have been getting crapped on and it's time to fight back

By who, exactly? As Super Soldier, Steve Rogers was always trying to give Cyclops a hand and he either always turned him down or straight up lied to him.

beachtruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By beachtruth

X-Men and Avengers are both stupid teams!!! They've gotten too big and have to many people, strip em down to bare basic members!!! Altho I'm more of a DC boy to be truthful

Edgeworth_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Edgeworth_11

Magneto could just reverse the blood flow using both the iron in his blood and the nanobots in his bone marrow and basically cause him a massive heart attack/stroke.

Seriously, this match up should end with Magneto wiping a bunch of blood of his cape and then deciding all of Hawkeyes arrow tips should stab him in the heart and Cap's shield should fly off his arm and then fly back and take off his head. He could then ask if anyone else wanted to die or if they'd just quit to save him having to kill anyone else. Then Black Widow should have a massive pity party and drink vodka all weekend in a cheap motel somewhere due to the implicit guilt of being dumb enough to join her friends in a battle against a guy who controls one of the basic forces of nature and cry herself to sleep.

But I am still stoked for this and eagerly waiting :D

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.