Follow

Avengers vs. X-Men

Story arc »

Marvel Comics' 2012 event. As a repercussion from the events that took place in The Children's Crusade, Fear Itself, Schism, and X-Sanction, the Avengers and X-Men go to war over the return of the Phoenix Force.

why I believe the X-Men should lose the war

FuriousWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FuriousWeasel

Please forgive the length of this comment, I don't have the vocabulary to get my point across quicker.

Although I love the X-Men I believe they should lose the war because, lets face it, they have made the wrong decision concerning the approach of the Phoenix Force. Cyclops is willingly risking the lives of everyone of Earth just on the off-chance that the Phoenix might reactivate the X-Gene and create more mutants, and worse the rest of the X-Men are, for some reason just going along with it. The X-Men are longtime heroes and would never have risked everybodies lives like this in the past let alone over something so unnecessary. Cyclops's personality and views over the last couple of years has completely changed to the point where he is the main devisive force between mutants and regular humans and his (And other X-Men's) crazy desperation over the 'death' of the mutant race is bordering on ridiculous. They don't seem to realise that no race has died out, no less people are being born it's just that those that are born will not develop potentially dangerous powers. Cyclops forgets that his deperation to reignite the mutant gene will create more characters like Glob Herman who, even if mutants were complely accepted, would never have a normal life, a normal relationship or be viewed without revulsion at his appearance.

Not only is Cyclops risking the lives of everyone on the chance of more mutants, he is playing russian roulette with the lives of those who would then become mutants.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By joshmightbe

I think if either side was making good decisions they'd call the Annhilators and any cosmic powered friends they have to help turn Phoenix away from Earth cause regardless of which side wins here it's going to end how every Phoenix story ends with the heroes narrowly avoiding her killing them all and then in a few more years when another moron who hasn't been paying attention tries to kill or control it, the same damn thing is gonna happen

Darcsteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Darcsteel

My problem with this fight is after some time thinking about it I cant support the avengers. I get that Cyclops shot first but what exactly was Caps plan. He should up with a helicarrier packed with avengers ready for war in order to do what, kidnap a young girl from her home. I mean lets face it Hope wasnt going with them willingly so they were going to take her by force one way or another. I just want to know what did Cap think they were going to do with her. What is the benefit for teh avengers in taking Hope away from the heavily fortified and ISOLATED fortress of utopia and dragging her into some shield facility in the middle of the US. Or is he doing this to simply feel better because of course the avengers are more qualified to take on the pheonix force then the people who have been dealing with it since it started coming to earth (which if that is the case showcases his own level of arrogance).

Osian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Osian2

My main gripe is that Avengers X-sanction wasnt hyped enough so that people would buy it and find out in issue 4 why cyclops is intent on keeping Hope. In that issue Cable tells Cyke what will happen if the Avengers take Hope and the outcome wasnt good. Without this its easy to see cyke as the bad guy but if you read issue 4 of x-sanction it really does help (at least somewhat) justify Scotts actions.

Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Daycrawler

@Osian2 said:

My main gripe is that Avengers X-sanction wasnt hyped enough so that people would buy it and find out in issue 4 why cyclops is intent on keeping Hope. In that issue Cable tells Cyke what will happen if the Avengers take Hope and the outcome wasnt good. Without this its easy to see cyke as the bad guy but if you read issue 4 of x-sanction it really does help (at least somewhat) justify Scotts actions.

This!

X-Sanction totally explains Cyclops' stance on Hope / Phoenix. Not saying it justifies it mind you, but issue 4 gives him a really solid reason for behaving the way he is. I would go further and say that X-Sanction also explains some of the simmering hostility that he has towards Cap (as does events in the Avengers - Children's Crusade series and Uncanny X-Men issues 9 & 10).

I get the feeling that a lot of people may have missed X-Sanction and be left feeling that Cyclops' actions are out of character.

Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Daycrawler

@FuriousWeasel said:

Please forgive the length of this comment, I don't have the vocabulary to get my point across quicker.

Although I love the X-Men I believe they should lose the war because, lets face it, they have made the wrong decision concerning the approach of the Phoenix Force. Cyclops is willingly risking the lives of everyone of Earth just on the off-chance that the Phoenix might reactivate the X-Gene and create more mutants, and worse the rest of the X-Men are, for some reason just going along with it.

I wouldn't say that the X-Men are necessarily agreeing with / going along with Cyclops. Sure they know about Hope being the Messiah and all, but outside a small core group of mutants (Frost, Magneto, etc), no-one knows that Hope is connected to the Phoenix yet. Even those who know for definite the connection between Hope and the Phoenix only just found out for sure at the start of AvX when Hopes powers flared up.

I'd say that, at the moment, the majority of X-Men only know that the Avengers are attacking Utopia to take Hope for some unknown reason. I expect that the dust will settle enough from the initial fight and more mutants will be clued into what's actually going down. When this happens I expect there will be a lot of dissent in the ranks and torn loyalties! Then we'll see who REALLY agrees with Cyclops!!

SnowyMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By SnowyMountain

Agreed! Cyke's decisions seem to be wavering on desperation and delusionment. I thought that the reason why he booted Xavier out was because he didn't like Xavier's manipulating things, but I have to wonder if the rest of the X-Men know if the Phoenix is coming and why Cyclops is so adamant on keeping Hope with them in the frankly desperate belief that it will somehow save the mutant race. It smacks of hugely deceptive and grossly hypocritical.

The Scarlet Witch's reappearance in the Children's Crusade series showed that she could restore a former mutant's lost powers. Isn't that enough? With her in their custody, they can begin to restore some of the former mutants' powers. Yet now he's gambling with the fate of the entire world, not just a percentage of the population.

I know that there were quite a few mutants who were actually relieved to lose their powers. Yet, he doesn't really care about that it. For all of Cyke's talking about peaceful co-existence, it seems that it's just PR. He knows that the mutants would lose due to sheer numbers and he's out to have such an overwhelming advantage that he can force the human race into accepting mutants. Or else. And to that end, he's willing to sacrifice anyone if that's what counts.

He seems to have become a lot more like Magneto's old agenda and beliefs than Xavier. I don't think that the X-Men should win the war and that they ultimately reject Cyclops' leadership as being dangerous.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.