Follow

Avengers vs. X-Men

Story arc »

Marvel Comics' 2012 event. As a repercussion from the events that took place in The Children's Crusade, Fear Itself, Schism, and X-Sanction, the Avengers and X-Men go to war over the return of the Phoenix Force.

Spotlight: AVENGERS VS X-MEN Hardcover

• 55 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Many people know that when it comes to releasing hardcover and trade paperbacks, Marvel knows what they're doing. The final issue of AVENGERS VS X-MEN went on sale in and the hardcover release is already available.

No Caption Provided

There is some debate over how much time should pass in between the single issues and the collected release. There is an advantage to not having to wait up to half a year later to get the collection. Releasing the trades may not necessarily mean people will stop buying the single issues since many readers (like myself) love getting the collected versions when a story is really good.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

You'll immediately notice that this hardcover is pretty thick. It has a retail price of $75 but chances are you'll be able to find it cheaper. Even the retail price is reasonable for what you get. This collection features all twelve issues of the miniseries (plus the zero issue), the Nova story from the first POINT ONE issue, all six issues of AVX: VS as well as the three INFINITE comics that have never been printed before and there are no plans to reprint the again. Doing the math, you can justify the price plus there's the fact that the Marvel hardcovers just look so nice.

What I've heard from others, and I completely agree, the story reads better in this collected format. The downside is the collection has issues the Nova story, 0-12 and afterwards you get AVX: VS 1-6 followed by the three INFINITE issues. It must have been a hard decision to not try to present the stories in the correct chronological sequence. That was one my complaints about the overall series and tie in issues. Too many times you just had no idea what order to read them. The tie in issues sometimes were dealing with events that already passed in the main series which meant you knew the outcome already.

No Caption Provided

Another unfortunate aspect is the INFINITE comics. Seeing them printed just doesn't compare with the presentation in the digital format. The big charm of those stories was seeing how the panels unfolded as the story progressed. To make up for this, you always have the option of reading them, and the entire collection, digitally. As Marvel sometimes does with their hardcover releases, you get a code to redeem in order to read the entire collection digitally. Provided you have an iPad or tablet, you can still check out what the fuss is about the INFINITE issues.

It was a little disappointing not having all the tie ins, or at least some of them, included here. The reality is there were quite a bit of them. There would also be the dilemma of whether the attempt should be made to try to fit them all together in the proper chronological order. That would be great to see but would also interrupt the flow of the main story.

No Caption Provided

As with most hardcover releases, the book is a little larger than the original comics. It's not a huge difference but that little bit gives you a closer look at the art. And let's be honest, it was the art that really stood out here at times. Reactions to the actual story have been mixed. Some have complained about the lack of outcome or that it was all about fighting just to reach the conclusion. Others were able to enjoy the story as an event allowing us to see our favorite heroes fight one another. And whether you liked the story or not, it did change the atmosphere for the X-Men, Avengers and the Marvel Universe.

Besides the issues, there are some other extras included. You can't have a collection without a cover gallery. Even though it was just a twelve issue miniseries, there are plenty of covers to see. The series had many variants and exclusive covers. It's great to see them all in one place.

No Caption Provided

One thing we often saw in the AR content for during the series was the various stages of art. We were able to see selected panels in their penciled and inked form. It's always great to see the original art as it can develop a completely different look with inks and colors. Included is commentary from artists John Romita Jr, Olivier Coipel and Adam Kubert. There's some really cook art in this section.

All of the AR content from the original individual issues is included as well.

No Caption Provided

There's also a fun "scorecard" breakdown of each battle. It's pretty detailed and a fun read.

Is this the collection you've been looking for? If you haven't picked up the series and have managed to avoid most of the spoilers and outcomes, it is something worth checking out. It was Marvel's big event for the year and the status quo for several characters has been changed. Getting a more complete version with the tie ins would be great but of course that would mean an even higher price tag. It really comes down to how much you like the characters and the creators involved in the series. $75 is a lot of money. It is comparable to the price of all the individual issues. I didn't love every single issue but I love having this hardcover in my library.

It's also worth noting that this is a limited-edition release. It's not clear exactly how limited it is but I'd imagine at that retail price, many shops may have decided not to order large quantities.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By evilvegeta74

gotta have it.

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
    G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By G_Money_Christmas

I asked for this for Christmas from my Mom... I hope I get it. She's very good at getting me what I ask for, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

I might get it after a while when it has gone down in price more. For now I'm happy with just owning the main series in comic format though.

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4  Edited By Cafeterialoca

If only the event didn't stink.

(Where is Transonic? We still don't know where she is!)

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#5  Edited By StMichalofWilson

Holy Crap! It's like the new Marvel Bible of the new era(sounded better in my head)! I might get that.

Avatar image for crimsonalchemist
    CrimsonAlchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CrimsonAlchemist

I would buy this if I ran out of toilet paper.

Doomsday65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Doomsday65

Picked mine up from instocktrades.com for about $45.00. My dilemma now is do I read it digitally or read the hardcover.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By theTimeStreamer

@Cafeterialoca: you really like that crappy character huh? too bad she is so irrelevant and underused.

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tximinoman

I love this series, hated the first few numbers but ended up loving it.

CRTrobinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CRTrobinson

Thanks for the heads up G-Man, as someone who didn't buy all of them I think this is pretty cool. I might even just buy it because I'm sick of all the haters attacking everything all the time. If you don't like a comic don't buy it, enough of the pessimistic crap!

Azrael66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Azrael66

Sadly, the event was a pile of rubbish.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Trodorne

@guttridgeb said:

I might get it after a while when it has gone down in price more. For now I'm happy with just owning the main series in comic format though.

Price goes down? do you know what the price mark up is compared to a piece of electronic or clothing? very little. in fact so little that the comic book stores make only like little profit from a book being sold. Unlike people who buy a shirt for $35 (which I think you are crazy enough to pay that much for it) where the actual cost of making and shipping a single box full those t-shirts was only just $45; so basically a single shirt sold would pay for most of the shirts that are there.

If you are desperate to get this book, get it second hand from someone else who already ripped opened the package, or unless you already have a discount card with your local comic book store or book store.

@Cafeterialoca said:

If only the event didn't stink.

(Where is Transonic? We still don't know where she is!)

exactly

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cafeterialoca

@theTimeStreamer said:

@Cafeterialoca: you really like that crappy character huh? too bad she is so irrelevant and underused.

Why is she crappy? I clicked with her because I was like that in high school. Let me guess, because she doesn't have a kill count about 20 people, she's worthless to you.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By Pyrogram

Very nice, It made me just order the civil war hardback, talk about advertising.

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vitality

Who won?

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By theTimeStreamer

@Cafeterialoca: no. she's worthless just because she is. she is canon fodder. she is annoying and bitchy and useless in combat. cant wait for her head to be chopped off in avengers arena. its gonna happen. BIG SMILE.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Blood1991
    Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cafeterialoca

@theTimeStreamer: Oh look how clever you are. You don't even know that SHE ISN'T IN AVENGERS ARENA! And please, you probably think all characters must be the grim brooding types who only get by because they have to scramble to come up with new cool moves for them all the time.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Icon

This isn't even worth someone else's money, due to the crap story that is. The book itself looks quite nice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@Trodorne said:

@guttridgeb said:

Price goes down? do you know what the price mark up is compared to a piece of electronic or clothing? very little. in fact so little that the comic book stores make only like little profit from a book being sold. Unlike people who buy a shirt for $35 (which I think you are crazy enough to pay that much for it) where the actual cost of making and shipping a single box full those t-shirts was only just $45; so basically a single shirt sold would pay for most of the shirts that are there.

If you are desperate to get this book, get it second hand from someone else who already ripped opened the package, or unless you already have a discount card with your local comic book store or book store.

I usually get my graphic novels and TPBs from Amazon and they almost always go down in price after a while.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

#21  Edited By Cavemold

nice book but dont care about the event.

Avatar image for mp_simonwilliams
    MP_SimonWilliams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MP_SimonWilliams

I will buy this. Well done!

TerrellV13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TerrellV13

I was planning on getting this when I lived in Wilmington NC, but I recently moved to Memphis and I have no idea where the book stores are here. Guess I'll order it then...

stu630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By stu630

i want it!

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AlKusanagi

I have it and love it, but my biggest disappointment was that they didn't hold off the extra month and just include Consequences in it as well.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By consolemaster001

wow

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By Mucklefluga

I would no way spend that much on this story , the special features are cool but deffo not for that price. id rather spend my money on something else.

hyenascar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By hyenascar

I know if some of you read the hardcover, it would change some of your opinions of the series. It came together rather well in the hardcover version. The rest probably can't read, so I'll just get replies of "It sucked."

It definitely will mold events in x-men and avengers for some time. Worth the buy, especially the deals of $45

Story is not for everyone, and that's OK, but this series got way more hate than deserved.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SmashBrawler

They gave this POS an oversized hardcover? LOL.

geoff2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By geoff2005

if you are from USA, get it from either instocktrades or cheapgraphicnovels. best two sites to get graphic novels

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

It looks nice but the story isn't worth the price or the space on my shelf.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By longbowhunter
    @Cavemold said:

nice book but dont care about the event.

This
    Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#33  Edited By Meteorite

I was a bit on the fence as to buy AvX in trade, and I don't normally buy hardcovers, but I might have to make an exception for this.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By SavageDragon

This looks like an amazing collection.

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kriminal

i feel like the only person who enjoyed avx. the new avengers tie ins were great.

1-5= B

6-8=C-

9= A+

10-11= B

12=B+

RalfvdH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RalfvdH

I was waiting for the trade... Never read the loose issue's because I thought it would read better when its collected... I was right... I liked it... I have the Nick Bradshaw cover version.... Only thing I didn't really care about was the VS. issues.... Some of the art stood out but that was it... The main story was good in a whole.... I enjoyed it... But the best parts were from Olivier Coipel and Mark Morales... JrJr looked good... but that also is part of a good inker... Adam Kubert looked ok too but sometimes it looked a bit wonky for me... but consider the time when he was drawing it ( His fathers passing) I can forgive him for that....

But the extreme negativity I heard and read was a little overacting... It was an ok and entertaining story....

RalfvdH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RalfvdH

O and the free digital version was nice too.... :)

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BatteredArmor

@CrimsonAlchemist said:

I would buy this if I ran out of toilet paper.

As bad as this event was you'd end up getting a rash

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bestostero

as much as i disliked the story, i might actually consider getting this, ill probably wait till its cheaper though

geoff2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By geoff2005

@Bestostero said:

as much as i disliked the story, i might actually consider getting this, ill probably wait till its cheaper though

get it from instocktrades.com or cheapgraphicnovel if your in the US their prices are usualy between 40%-45% off cover

Agent_Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41  Edited By Agent_Prince

Certainly looks like a great package, Marvel certainly know how to make a great hardcover. However, 3 problems prevent me from buying this, ever:-

• The A vs X vs issues were terrible
    • I couldn't put myself through reading one of the most drawn out, almost waste of time saga's marvel has ever produced
    • No AVX: Consequences, which was way more interesting than AVX itself
    neiliusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By neiliusprime

gonna have to pass on this for now, I have the single issues #0-12, which is the main story. Maybe I'll get Avengers vs X-Men: Consequences on trade.

604comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#43  Edited By 604comics

I pre-ordered the hardcover months in advance so I didn't bother reading any of the single issues. Overall, it was alright. And I have to agree with some comments, it probably is best read all at once instead of drawn out weeks at a time because you lose all the momentum. And if it's still a POS like some people said, then at least it's over and done with in one sitting.

I didn't care for the AVS tie-in. Nice concept, but didn't really add any value. Neither did the INIFINITE issues. But for $45 and for what I was getting, I thought it was worth it. I wish they would have waited for Consequences, though.

Munsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Munsu

Some amazing art and great illustrations, but it was such an awful event. It really was.

Smurfboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Smurfboy

Already got it the day it came out. Loved every minute of it!

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice book but hardly seems to cover the comprehensive event that was AvX. I mean what about the tie in issues? I only go for event TPs/HCs if they cover the entire event in pages. It does look wonderful though even if it covers just the bare essentials.

onilink123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By onilink123

I think it's worth mentioning that you don't need an ipad or tablet to use the digital copy, you can just use your PC to read it online. The INFINITE issues are quite interesting =)

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheHeat

Isn't there supposed to be an intro written by CM Punk in this?

Tyrannotaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Tyrannotaur

This is already discounted on Amazon. I almost never pay full price for trades, so I'll wait for it to go down even more before getting it.

Avatar image for snootchie_bootchies
    snootchie_bootchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what? No! Bullsh*t and shenanigans! I didnt pick up the single issues because i knew that this story would be collected. (But what wont be nowadays...) But to have this priced at $75 and to be limited quantities? Argh!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.