Follow

Avengers vs. X-Men

Story arc »

Marvel Comics' 2012 event. As a repercussion from the events that took place in The Children's Crusade, Fear Itself, Schism, and X-Sanction, the Avengers and X-Men go to war over the return of the Phoenix Force.

Off My Mind: Throwing the First Punch in AVENGERS VS. X-MEN #1

• 172 results
    SexualLobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By SexualLobster

@DocFatalis said:

I'd say that both characters were written here out of character. Not to mention the fact that in each team there are very wise, clever and experienced people who would never run into a stupid self destructive fight head first. This pathetic arc occurring right at the time when the avengers movie is going to be released is just an excuse to get as many masked names as possible in a fight.

I am utterly disappointed with the editorial line right now. And starting to be extremely tired with Bendis.

Well Cyclops has been acting as if he were on Magneto's agenda lately. "Protect mutants, there's so little of us, that's the most important thing''. I'm predicting this ending with Cyclops not leading the Xmen anymore.

Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Illuminatus: baahahaha..... ahhh.. -_-

#clink

Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Theres no BLAME to be assigned here, this was coming.. &lets face it Marvel give "u guys" cues.. hence tryin to lead us down the garden path with bullsh*t suggestions like "Captain America was there to discuss things. He didn't come in swinging but Cyclops simply lashed out without trying to have a civil conversation."

Really? Cap WASNT there to discuss anything he was there to apprehend, theres nothing CIVIL about bringing a HeliCarrier to someones front door.. esp when he could have took a quinjet &gone on his own &spoken to Scott man to man THEN made a decision, Cap for once is bein a total JERKOFF &hypocrite as is Wolverine &the other turncoats

But i get the feelin this is all leadin up exactly how they want it to so they can demonise Cykes enuff to kill him off without anyone caring toomuch.. which would not only be a shame.. but a great excercise in cynical mass social/media formatted manipulation.. Political Science 101..watch this space.

fivestarga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By fivestarga

@deadpoolwins:) said:

ok this is bull. i read schism, and it clearly demonstrated that cyclops is unstable, and has begun to loose his mind. additionally i see all these comments about how much cyclops had done and why he deserves the rights for all this. what he has done pales in comparison to cap. im sorry did cyclops fight off the nazi's, only to be frozen for years, woken up after everyone he knows is dead, and thrown back into fighting. didnt think so.

wolverine is wolverine, and is at this point more stable and reliable then cyclops his, his word is definitely good enough to allow cap to declare war on cyclops.

additionally hope isnt being arrested fro a crime she hasen't committed, she is being taken into protective custody to save the world and herself from the PF. in the end did cyclops even ask hope(this young innocent girl that cap is attempting to "take") what she wants in the end its not up to cyclops to decided the fate of a young girl, and the whole world to boot.

maybe cap didnt go about this in the best way, but cyclops is just been an immature child because he is not getting his way.

This post sounds as if it was written by a child; or Cap fanboy. You clearly don't like Cyke and down play his accomplishments by saying they pale in comparison to Cap fighting Nazis? Kid, Cyke was the leader that kept mutants from being extinct, not to mention he's probably one of the most important characters in marvel over the past decade. Just because you don't like him doesnt mean his accompliments don't give him the right to deal with a Phoenix force he's dealt with many times before. Is he a little wired these days? Sure. You do remember that it was his faith in Hope that caused the mutant gene to start reactivating in the first place, so I can understand his apprehensive nature in regards to letting a NON mutant take her into his power. She dies, the X gene goes back out.

marvel186

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By marvel186

this gonna be a good story! as long Cap is in the story I'll buy it,, He may not have supernatural strength or powers but the way he commands other heroes makes him a hero worth seeing

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#156  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

This event is gonna be garbage and this first issue proved it for me. I just can't wait for it to be over and everyone goes on their marry way and see how the few good writers plan on fixing this mess.

euskadi1488

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By euskadi1488

@Osiris1428: agreed with u my friend

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

#158  Edited By Queso6p4

I have to wholeheartedly agree that this issue seemed really rushed, contrived, and sloppy all the way around. New Avengers 24 was a much better, albeit indirect, lead up to the clash. I hope this issue doesn't set the tone for how the rest are going to be because...yeah.

Cale_Michael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Cale_Michael

I'm not quite sure whose to blame. Sure, Cyclops is crazy for, y'know, hoping his teenaged-adopted-granddaughter will be able to house and control a being of limitless power. It's like trying to manage the entire ocean into a sippy-cup! Good luck, Cyke. I mean, your ex-wife has done a suburb job at keeping it all together when she was attached. And then there's Cap's trespassing and demand of his grandkid with his arsenal of Avengers to back him up... All this could have been solved if everyone just stopped, took a breath, and called together some sort of meeting? Isn't the planet always in peril? Shouldn't they be used to the stress by now??

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap's in the right, Cyke's in the wrong. At best, Cyclops can say he knew what Cap's intentions were, not the method he was going to go about it. This is aggresive negotiations and Cap would've been an idiot to go in there without some kind of backup. Maybe the carrier was overkill, but it got the message across and fit the situation. They've got a cosmic threat coming down on their heads and they can't waste time fighting. For Cyclops to attack him like that is...insane to be honest, as he's been trying to protect mutantkind and all that jazz, and he basically just declared war against the U.S.

Its laughable how people say Cap shouldn't have trusted Wolverine, when he has just as much experience with the Phoenix as Cyclops or Storm. He knew full well what he was talking about. And did he say "You need to go in there, guns blazing, tear shit up and nab that bitch"? No, he didn't and that's certainly not what Cap did. He went in and made a statement. Cyclops also chose to make a statement and his statement didn't leave any room open for negotiation. The main problem is that Scott's line of "Mutant Issue" isn't gonna suffice anymore. This isn't an issue that only effects mutants, it could very easily effect the entire planet. The Avengers and the X-Men could've been working together on this if Scott hadn't been sso trigger happy.

Blame can be placed on both shoulders, but its mostly on the shoulders of Scott Summers. He could've let them take Hope and then gone with them, along with the other X-Men. He could've had a sit-down and taken care of some negotiations, instead he basically said "Fuck it" and just went wild.

Pampam1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Pampam1980

what's up with the art? damn :S

spiderbuck1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By spiderbuck1

@ApatheticAvengersaid:

No Caption Provided

@Osiris1428 said:

When King Leonidos (300) told the messengers "THIS. IS.SPARTA!!!", and kicked that guy into the pit, everyone thought it was cool. When Cyclops blasts Cap for doing the same thing the messengers did; come unannounced, veiled threats, insisting they (The Avengers) came with some sort of authority they should recognized and respect, it should be just as understood. This is 300 hundred with mutants. BOO-YA!!!

Shhh! Your argument might shatter the minds of numerous fools who can't see both sides of the situation!

In all seriousness though... THIS. IS.UTOPIA!!!

Awwesome!!!!!

ApatheticAvenger and Osiris1428 just saved the series for me. I'm stoked again.

CosmicGod432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#163  Edited By CosmicGod432

You know that last few or more Marvel "big" events have been crap, but for some reason I'm really attracted to this. Maybe it is just me but the combination of Avengers vs X-men, Phoenix Force arriving, and then the new Nova has got me interested. For the first time in a few year I will be picking up an X-men comic.

Azjenco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Azjenco

@ThanosIsMad said:

The issue was just one big excuse to have two of Marvel's premiere teams duke it out, and a weak one at that. There were several dozen other ways this could've played out. Wolverine's current turbulent relationship with Cyclops could've sparked an argument between the two and had that devolve into Cyclops purposely attacking Cap or another Avenger to set things off.

The world/universe at stake with two opposing views is a far better reason than Wolverine and Cyclops' feud causing Cyke inexplicably to attack Cap. That would be nonsensical and a huge waste of an excuse to cause a war over.

Alright, so the popular notion is to choose a side, but even though I'm leaning over to the X front, I'm still a huge Hulk, Cap and Thor fan, so it's sort of difficult to choose. I'm rather more interested in the individual fights, also as to what the Phoenix's intentions are for returning and how this will play out with Hope.

I'm going to have to side with Cyclops on who started it though. Firstly, Cap went to Wolverine for advice, it may seem a legitimate choice, but right now he's still liking his wounds after the Schism fallout. Was it really smart to ask for his advice? Secondly, yes Cap wanted to talk, but he made demands. "We (obviously the Avengers)need to take Hope into custody", were his first words and later he said he wasn't asking, he's making demands. Then he accused Cyke of being too close to the issue, and then he admittedly stated he sided with Wolverine on this (like I said, Schism wounds are still fresh). He didn't even suggest taking Cyke into consideration here. In Cyke's mind he is single-handedly charged with the responsibility to lead mutantkind from the brink of annihilation, he's a desperate man. Cap approached this like he would any problem at hand, like a stubborn soldier, and it was insensitive if you take what's happening with mutants at present. He brought the Helicarrier and the Avengers along not as a precaution, but as a means to retrieve Hope anyway he saw fit.

Personally, I'm hooked. AvX is handled very well, and I don't get why the naysayers are neighing. Then again, people have been moaning about anything and everything that's been going on lately in comics, which just sadness me. It's a good time to be a comic book reader; DCnU, Uncanny X-Force, Venom, Secret Avengers, and I'll always love Marvel events (a big target for most). And that makes me sad, because most people rather remain nostalgic than admit what's good and still they choose to stick around and remain vocal to let everyone know just how unsatisfied they are.

ChillinNKillin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By ChillinNKillin

I get that Cap came about this the wrong way, but Cyclops is acting RETARDED here. Seriously.

I mean he thinks he can control THE PHOENIX FORCE!?!?!?

Really?

The man has become mad due to desperation, and is willing to sacrifice Hope to accomplish a foolish (massive understatement I know) plan.

You all say "That's his "granddaughter" and he's trying to protect her!!!" Well I'm calling BS on that because he's willing to sacrifice her to the same monster that claimed his ex-wife. Also remember that he was willing to kill Jean in order to stop it, because the realization that the PF was FAR too dangerous hit home....and even when they thought they stopped it, they FAILED!!! Cyclops is REALLY trying to start this all over again???

Cyclops doesn't realize that what he's doing will actually make life even more difficult for mutantkind.

I'm not necessarily on Cap's side, but I'm DEFINITELY NOT rooting for Cyclops as his plan is bound to fail and take the whole planet down as well.

Hopefully after this Cyclops can become a villain already, as he's clearly well on his way down that path.

ChillinNKillin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By ChillinNKillin

@BransonHuggins said:

Seriously, Cyclops is losing it. I get he wants to save his kind, but the decisions should be Hopes, and Hopes alone. Cyclops is essentially forcing her to stay, when she clearly does not want to. Cyclops is simply one track right now; and that's not a good thing.

The reason why Cap showed up w/ Helicarrier full of people is simple, he knew that he was going into Utopia, where there are a majority of high powered mutants. Cap knew what he was going to request wasn't going to go over well, so he went in with back up. Like anyone w/ a brain would. Obviously he was right to do so, as Cyclops attacked him after hearing what he had to say. So yes, Cap was mearly doing what Cap does, planning ahead. He is supposed to be one of the best, if not the best strategic mind in the Marvel U, it would only make sense he would prepare for the possibility of a fight.

One thing is clear though, and that there is something going on with Summers. You could see it in Emma's face, even she knows something is wrong; and it's not good. I don't think this is going to play out like anyone believes. I think Summers is going to show why he is NOT fit to lead a team anymore. He is turning to totalitarian, and losing his principles in the process. It's all good to protect your kind, but when you are basically ruling with an iron fist, you have crossed a line.

I agree completely; especially the part about Hope.

While I'm not sold on how Cap started the discussion, him bringing the Avengers with him when he's going to an island with enough high powered mutants to rape him 1000000x over is only common sense. Especially when you look at who the leader of said island is.

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

#167  Edited By Queso6p4

@FadeToBlackBolt: Haha! That is pretty bad.

S1llYMDROX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By S1llYMDROX

Hey forgive if anyone has said this already and this may be waaaay off base but.....isnt a shard of the Void still in Cyclops??

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#169  Edited By SavageDragon

@lightfright12: Read Schism. (youtube it if your ok with dubstep)

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#170  Edited By SavageDragon

@chaosimpact79: dude cyclops has been acting kinda crazy for a while now...did you read schism he blasted wolverine and started fighting him when the fate of all Utopia was at stake. Hes fought Logan again for mentioning Jean Grey made a mistake for getting married to him in Astonishing. Scott's character didnt just chnage all of a sudden hes lied to Cap about kid omega and harbored fugitives before and has demanded the Avengers stand down post house of M.

Darcsteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Darcsteel

My problem with this fight is after some time thinking about it I cant support the avengers. I get that Cyclops shot first but what exactly was Caps plan. He showed up with a helicarrier packed with avengers ready for war in order to do what, kidnap a young girl from her home. I mean lets face it Hope wasnt going with them willingly so they were going to take her by force one way or another. I just want to know what did Cap think they were going to do with her. What is the benefit for the avengers in taking Hope away from the heavily fortified and ISOLATED fortress of utopia and dragging her into some shield facility in the middle of the US. Or is he doing this to simply feel better because of course the avengers are more qualified to take on the phenoix force then the people who have been dealing with it since it started coming to earth (which if that is the case showcases his own level of arrogance).

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By lykopis

@S1llYMDROX said:

Hey forgive if anyone has said this already and this may be waaaay off base but.....isnt a shard of the Void still in Cyclops??

o_o

... if that's what's they are going with....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.