How many of you think The Avengers vs The X-Men

#1 Posted by time (5000 posts) - - Show Bio

How many of you think the event, will turn out to be a bad story, it will be poorly written and the fights won’t be that interesting.

How many of think Marvel will make the Avengers look better and stronger then the X-Men

How many of think, Marvel will make it out to be this hugh event, one of most important events and then in the end, it will turn out to be, not a big deal, there will be a another one around the corner.

If we look at the past Crossovers, Civil War wasn't very good, House of M, in the end of the story, it had the biggest impact on the mutant community, the mutant race became a endanger species and it was because of Scarlet Witch, who is Avenger. Utopia wasn't very good and neither was Fear-itself.

How many of think it will lead to return of Jean Grey, or will Hope turn out to be Jean Grey or is marvel just teasing fans about Jean return. Yet again.

I know this event has not happen yet but, I would really like know what everyone thinks about the event and how you feel about the event. Are you excited about it or do you think it will be another disappointment? Which Marvel tends to do a lot.

I would be grateful for your views

#2 Posted by Iamlovewithin500 (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

Really they're just trying to phase the X-men out to make Avengers the top priority team at Marvel.I doubt it'll work though, because the X-men have a bigger fan base and has always,and most likely will remain MU most popular franchise .We all know that this X-men vs Avengers thing is just a gimmick,and most likely with all the Avengers hype and the movie,The Avengers will most likely triumph.  

Though given the X-men's main Extinction team and the slew of mutants that divided into other teams,X-men should Stomp Avengers.Even with Thor back.There are too many of them and they have too many heavy hitters like 

Storm, Colossus,Magik and hell most of the telepaths can drop majority of the Avengers Team.

#3 Posted by Nearl (2514 posts) - - Show Bio

i really want the x-men to come out on top but the avengers are still probably going to win unless there is an awesome upset

i don't care if its not as a major event as marvel says it is, if the avengers and x-men really have an all out fight it will be fun to see

#4 Posted by stambo42 (159 posts) - - Show Bio

How would Magik fare against Thor on her home turf in Limbo? Outside of him, I can't think of any threat the Avengers have to seriously offer.

#5 Posted by Manchine (4169 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it will turn out to be a good story..... personally Avengers are FAR better and more powerful in all catorgries except Mental. Even then Iron Man and Black Panther has devices to stop that.

#6 Edited by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

oh please, they will fight and lose battles but they will have to combine their forces to beat a greater enemy(the phoenix perhaps ). nobody wins lol

#7 Posted by BuddyBulson (427 posts) - - Show Bio

Im getting sick of cross overs, i miss when marvel use to tell stories, now all they do is make crossovers, since when has marvel touched any X-Men in the character development department? Besides Hope, Id like to learn more about the other mutants in the marvel universe.... Who was Anole (or ANY of the New X-Men) before they joined the school? Will Armor still become leader of the X-men one day? if so i'd like to know more about her besides her name and mutant power. Seems like thats all we know these days, all these mutants get a Name, Codename, Power.... we never see any story. just marvel cannon fodder. stories like AVX suck, i dont care about these crossovers as much as i care about characters growing.

#8 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5863 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think that this story would be that great. It's just another event that Marvel is trying to put out there without a logical reason why the Avengers and the X-Men would even fight each other in the first place. Even though they stated it was because of the phoenix force and Hope, they could have resolved that story years ago when Hope was first introduced in the X-Men stories.

#9 Posted by The Stegman (24323 posts) - - Show Bio

no one's really gonna win...it's just gonna end in a compromise or standoff...this is yet another way for Marvel to make money on a half a$$ crossover...having said that, i DO hope the Avengers beat the crap outta those snobby mutants

#10 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5863 posts) - - Show Bio

@BuddyBulson said:

Im getting sick of cross overs, i miss when marvel use to tell stories, now all they do is make crossovers, since when has marvel touched any X-Men in the character development department? Besides Hope, Id like to learn more about the other mutants in the marvel universe.... Who was Anole (or ANY of the New X-Men) before they joined the school? Will Armor still become leader of the X-men one day? if so i'd like to know more about her besides her name and mutant power. Seems like thats all we know these days, all these mutants get a Name, Codename, Power.... we never see any story. just marvel cannon fodder. stories like AVX suck, i dont care about these crossovers as much as i care about characters growing.

I definitely agree with this! I missed how the older X-Men comics used to tell wonderful stories based around the characters, but now, it's just event after event after event and I just wish that Marvel would just let these stories finish up before having another event.

#11 Posted by Powerzone789 (430 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700 said:

oh please, they will fight and lose battles but they will have to combine their forces to beat a greater enemy(the phoenix perhaps ). nobody wins lol

i agree thats most likely gonna happen, i don't see anything changing much in the long run at all between the two teams.@Rabbitearsblog said:

@BuddyBulson said:

I definitely agree with this! I missed how the older X-Men comics used to tell wonderful stories based around the characters, but now, it's just event after event after event and I just wish that Marvel would just let these stories finish up before having another event.

it would be nice if we could go back to the way comics used to be with actual character development i agree..they should invest in time management to sort all of the characters out so they can get their own spot in the light. Marvel should take a brake form all these shitty crossovers and start focusing on individuals and their teams for once. But sadly we aren't even close yet. we still have the Ultron War to go through

#12 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Powerzone789 said:

@moywar700 said:

i agree thats most likely gonna happen, i don't see anything changing much in the long run at all between the two teams.@Rabbitearsblog said:

@BuddyBulson said:

it would be nice if we could go back to the way comics used to be with actual character development i agree..they should invest in time management to sort all of the characters out so they can get their own spot in the light. Marvel should take a brake form all these shitty crossovers and start focusing on individuals and their teams for once. But sadly we aren't even close yet. we still have the Ultron War to go through

Oh no! Marvel's having another event after this? What's Ultron War going to be about?

#13 Posted by lorex (954 posts) - - Show Bio

Right now I look at the Avengers as something of a fake team. Yes they have a solid core of characters and Marvel has been doing all they can to make the Avengers their number one property. Problem with that is 2 of their biggest stars are outsiders 
from the Avengers core. Of course I am refering to Spiderman and Wolverine. I am not taking anything away from Captain America, Iron Man and Thor but asside from them who do they have that the average comic fam will easily identify. No one. You 
take away Spiderman and Wolverine and suddenly the the fanboy support disappears and people will see the X-Men are by far the superior team, fractured though they might be. I still think the fix is in on this and Marvel/Disney will not allow the Avengers
to look bad in the monthly comics just a a major motion picture is comming out. Also given the quality of Fear Itself and Schism I am not hopeful that this will be a good story. I suspect is will be a contrived battle setup to end a certain way, probably 
leaving a large segment of fans pissed off.

#14 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5863 posts) - - Show Bio

@lorex said:

Right now I look at the Avengers as something of a fake team. Yes they have a solid core of characters and Marvel has been doing all they can to make the Avengers their number one property. Problem with that is 2 of their biggest stars are outsiders from the Avengers core. Of course I am refering to Spiderman and Wolverine. I am not taking anything away from Captain America, Iron Man and Thor but asside from them who do they have that the average comic fam will easily identify. No one. You take away Spiderman and Wolverine and suddenly the the fanboy support disappears and people will see the X-Men are by far the superior team, fractured though they might be. I still think the fix is in on this and Marvel/Disney will not allow the Avengers to look bad in the monthly comics just a a major motion picture is comming out. Also given the quality of Fear Itself and Schism I am not hopeful that this will be a good story. I suspect is will be a contrived battle setup to end a certain way, probably leaving a large segment of fans pissed off.

I agree, especially what happened with Schism and Fear Itself. I really don't think this story is going to end up well unless they had established the characters' history at this point.

#15 Posted by Mercy_ (92695 posts) - - Show Bio

They haven't said anything about Jean. I don't know why people assume its her.

#16 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

It's going to be terrible. Look at the writers. None have any idea how to write the X-Men or the Avengers. 

#17 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5863 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

It's going to be terrible. Look at the writers. None have any idea how to write the X-Men or the Avengers.

I agree. Maybe if Joss Whedon or Rick Remender were writing this event, I would have been okay with this event.

#18 Posted by BuddyBulson (427 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog: Ultron War, i forgot about that. Marvel came out with a hidden list of crossovers/ timeline and put them on a blackboard in Avengers Prime... I just hope they forget to add Cyclops, Emma, Magneto and Namor. Sick of seeing them as front runners for everything mutant storyline.... I get that Cyke was the first X-Men, Magneto was the first villain, Namor is the first mutant and Emma is the first C*nt... but give us readers a break, all four characters are getting ruined by writing them so often.

#19 Posted by Kairan1979 (16745 posts) - - Show Bio

Another pathetic global event with a lot of fighting and zero character development.

#20 Posted by Daycrawler (554 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

I don't think that this story would be that great. It's just another event that Marvel is trying to put out there without a logical reason why the Avengers and the X-Men would even fight each other in the first place. Even though they stated it was because of the phoenix force and Hope, they could have resolved that story years ago when Hope was first introduced in the X-Men stories.

What so like, the whole Hope/Phoenix story should have been like - Hope is back from the future! she's got the power of the Phoenix/is Jean! kill/save her! - and bam it's all done in a matter of weeks, two years ago, straight after Second Coming? I'd have felt massively short-changed if that had happened! It would have been stupid to resolve the story so quickly after building it up for so long (Basically since HoM).

Also, given what's being going on in Avengers - Children's Crusade, it seems hugely logical that the Avengers and the X-Men are going to butt heads in a big way. We've already seen a warm-up skirmish in that title with some animosity beginning to bubble up, and now Cable is back in the mix kicking Avenger butt with info from the future regarding the Avengers hostile intentions towards Hope (whether he's right or not remains to be seen). Marvel have clearly been laying the groundwork for this event for some time, given how long ago Childrens Crusade started. They're tying it in to events/important arcs such as House of M, Second Coming, Childrens Crusade, etc in an entirely logical way. Wanda = Avenger = Destruction of Mutants. Hope = X-Man = Saviour of Mutants. Potential conflict right there, without much further setup required. Plus they've been building stronger ties between the two teams since the end of the Siege event - Cyclops and Steve Rogers working more closely, various X-Men becoming Avengers, etc - so there's more story/action to be had out of AvX. Torn loyalties and shattered friendships across the two teams.

Basically, to me, it seems that Marvel have put a lot of effort in building towards this event so that when it arrives the reasons to fight and team/character divisions will seem like a logical end result. If your looking for an example of an illogical, poorly constructed, badly written event that pretty much came out of nowhere then look no further than Fear Itself.

#21 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

Well it isn't that original.

#22 Posted by Soulstealer (825 posts) - - Show Bio

@time said:

How many of you think the event, will turn out to be a bad story, it will be poorly written and the fights won’t be that interesting.

How many of think Marvel will make the Avengers look better and stronger then the X-Men

How many of think, Marvel will make it out to be this hugh event, one of most important events and then in the end, it will turn out to be, not a big deal, there will be a another one around the corner.

If we look at the past Crossovers, Civil War wasn't very good, House of M, in the end of the story, it had the biggest impact on the mutant community, the mutant race became a endanger species and it was because of Scarlet Witch, who is Avenger. Utopia wasn't very good and neither was Fear-itself.

How many of think it will lead to return of Jean Grey, or will Hope turn out to be Jean Grey or is marvel just teasing fans about Jean return. Yet again.

I know this event has not happen yet but, I would really like know what everyone thinks about the event and how you feel about the event. Are you excited about it or do you think it will be another disappointment? Which Marvel tends to do a lot.

Anyone that hasn't read the recent Uncanny arc so far...there are some spoilers somewhat so be advised.

Personally I don't know how this will turn out, but there have been enough hints dropped that I have an idea of where they're going with this plotwise. For me Storm's speech at the beginning of Uncanny was the point. She asks about the new Extinction Team and who isn't a former supervillian and tells Scott not to raise his hand so quickly.

Then moving on, Sinister tells Scott that the next time they meet Scott will be more hated than he. Afterward we get the Celestials which while nothing really happens, still it looks good on paper and scary to the right people.

I guess what I'm getting at is this is a powerful team and Scott decided to use them as a human WMD parade in hopes of being a deterrent but I see this backfiring here because something is going to happen to make his X-group look bad and he's going to be treated like an upstart dictator and of course seeing as it's the establishment versus the outsiders and we can all agree the Avengers are the establishment.

Now on the flip side, The Avengers are Earth's Mightest Heroes, yet and it's a big yet. They've let the mutant community be victims forever and almost nothing said or done to the contrary at all. Let's be honest, that's horrendous and it's gonna come up. So actually I think the teams have quite the reason to fight at the end of the day and it might get bad for everyone. And it may finally force a change in status quo.

As for the PF, I see it as inevitable. X-Factor touched on the future quite a bit during the Messiah Complex arc and that was Bishop's driving force, people talk about him becoming a villain, but did he really? What if Bishop is right? What if Hope does bring back the mutant race, but what is the price paid? And is it paid by humanity in the end? Does this lead to Bishop's future? Or Cable's? Or maybe both. Also I believe that PF here is all about Hope, I may be wrong, but it seems silly that things fall to Jean when Hope has been hyped so.

All of that is conjecture on my part, but the elements have been in play for quite awhile now so I think if the writers are taking this one serious and putting some talent and skill into this it could redefine where the X-franchise is going or it could be more crossover mania, but I for one hope for the best.

#23 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Victories will be determined by character popularity and ultimately it'll all come out to be a draw where everybody gets what they really wanted all along.

#24 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I agree. Maybe if Joss Whedon or Rick Remender were writing this event, I would have been okay with this event.

I think it's going to be okay. Just hope they don't have to much PIS relating the the X-Men loosing (although, given how much Marvel loves The Avengers, there will probably be a lot :(:(:( ).

#25 Edited by Iamlovewithin500 (1028 posts) - - Show Bio
@lorex said:

Right now I look at the Avengers as something of a fake team. Yes they have a solid core of characters and Marvel has been doing all they can to make the Avengers their number one property. Problem with that is 2 of their biggest stars are outsiders  from the Avengers core. Of course I am refering to Spiderman and Wolverine. I am not taking anything away from Captain America, Iron Man and Thor but asside from them who do they have that the average comic fam will easily identify. No one. You  take away Spiderman and Wolverine and suddenly the the fanboy support disappears and people will see the X-Men are by far the superior team, fractured though they might be. I still think the fix is in on this and Marvel/Disney will not allow the Avengers to look bad in the monthly comics just a a major motion picture is comming out. Also given the quality of Fear Itself and Schism I am not hopeful that this will be a good story. I suspect is will be a contrived battle setup to end a certain way, probably  leaving a large segment of fans pissed off.

Pretty much sums it up  

The Avengers are Earth's Mightest Heroes, yet and it's a big yet. They've let the mutant community be victims forever and almost nothing said or done to the contrary at all. Let's be honest, that's horrendous and it's gonna come up. So actually I think the teams have quite the reason to fight at the end of the day and it might get bad for everyone. And it may finally force a change in status quo. 

Agreed
#26 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Soulstealer said:

@time said:

Anyone that hasn't read the recent Uncanny arc so far...there are some spoilers somewhat so be advised.

Personally I don't know how this will turn out, but there have been enough hints dropped that I have an idea of where they're going with this plotwise. For me Storm's speech at the beginning of Uncanny was the point. She asks about the new Extinction Team and who isn't a former supervillian and tells Scott not to raise his hand so quickly.

Then moving on, Sinister tells Scott that the next time they meet Scott will be more hated than he. Afterward we get the Celestials which while nothing really happens, still it looks good on paper and scary to the right people.

I guess what I'm getting at is this is a powerful team and Scott decided to use them as a human WMD parade in hopes of being a deterrent but I see this backfiring here because something is going to happen to make his X-group look bad and he's going to be treated like an upstart dictator and of course seeing as it's the establishment versus the outsiders and we can all agree the Avengers are the establishment.

Now on the flip side, The Avengers are Earth's Mightest Heroes, yet and it's a big yet. They've let the mutant community be victims forever and almost nothing said or done to the contrary at all. Let's be honest, that's horrendous and it's gonna come up. So actually I think the teams have quite the reason to fight at the end of the day and it might get bad for everyone. And it may finally force a change in status quo.

As for the PF, I see it as inevitable. X-Factor touched on the future quite a bit during the Messiah Complex arc and that was Bishop's driving force, people talk about him becoming a villain, but did he really? What if Bishop is right? What if Hope does bring back the mutant race, but what is the price paid? And is it paid by humanity in the end? Does this lead to Bishop's future? Or Cable's? Or maybe both. Also I believe that PF here is all about Hope, I may be wrong, but it seems silly that things fall to Jean when Hope has been hyped so.

All of that is conjecture on my part, but the elements have been in play for quite awhile now so I think if the writers are taking this one serious and putting some talent and skill into this it could redefine where the X-franchise is going or it could be more crossover mania, but I for one hope for the best.

Hmm... this sounds like a solid reason. I hope that the writers come to this conclusion and actually write really interesting stories about this situation.

#27 Posted by Titan3510 (432 posts) - - Show Bio

There was a time when the X-Men was Marvel's biggest franchise. And it was like that for a very long time. And there are people who are in charge at Marvel were big Avengers/Spider-Man fans when they were growing up...so naturally they probably didn't appreciate the X-Boom of the '90s...

It's pretty obvious that they've turned the X-Franchise into a hot mess so that make the Avengers look better and look more desirable.

The reason why the X-Men were so popular was because the characters drove the stories. While the Avengers were busy sitting in the living room drinking tea, the X-Men were stranded in the depths of space fighting for their lives, while infected with Brood eggs.

Hell, even the New Mutants were more interesting than the Avengers.

Nowadays, it's like the stories drive the characters. It's one event after another after another and it's like no one cares about the actual characters they are writing or drawing.

#28 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Titan3510 said:

There was a time when the X-Men was Marvel's biggest franchise. And it was like that for a very long time. And there are people who are in charge at Marvel were big Avengers/Spider-Man fans when they were growing up...so naturally they probably didn't appreciate the X-Boom of the '90s...

It's pretty obvious that they've turned the X-Franchise into a hot mess so that make the Avengers look better and look more desirable.

The reason why the X-Men were so popular was because the characters drove the stories. While the Avengers were busy sitting in the living room drinking tea, the X-Men were stranded in the depths of space fighting for their lives, while infected with Brood eggs.

Hell, even the New Mutants were more interesting than the Avengers.

Nowadays, it's like the stories drive the characters. It's one event after another after another and it's like no one cares about the actual characters they are writing or drawing.

I definitely agree with this! There used to be a time where most of the stories were character focused, but now, Marvel just wants to post up random events that doesn't have much to do with the characters.

#29 Posted by OmegaHans (207 posts) - - Show Bio

Said last month I was all set for this event, but now looking at the premise, I've changed my mind. Probably going to skip it. Marvel's got enough of my money.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.