Follow

Avengers vs. X-Men

Story arc »

Marvel Comics' 2012 event. As a repercussion from the events that took place in The Children's Crusade, Fear Itself, Schism, and X-Sanction, the Avengers and X-Men go to war over the return of the Phoenix Force.

How is Steve Rogers in the wrong?

• 120 results
    Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#101  Edited By Saren

@Gambit1024 said:

@Lvenger said:

@Gambit1024: Even though I'm not reading the event, a problem I have with it is that there's no common sense being shown by the heroes. If Galactus showed up, no one would bicker over who would be his next herald. Instead they would unite to find a way to stop him from consuming the Earth. That's how it should be for all earth destroying threats. And Cyclops seems to have overolooked the fact that the PF drove Jean Grey mad and made her destroy planets before. Why does he think Hope can handle the PF better than one of the most powerful telepathic and telekinetic mutant?

Because this is bad writing! lmao.

Seriously, if this were Galactus, the whole thing would've been handled in a few panels. Even if he were to say something like "Hey, mutants. I could restore your powers, but I might not. Better let me come to Earth for me to decide first," would anybody really trust him? No, because he's freaking Galactus.

Oi, don't be hating on Galan. He's not a bad guy, he's pretty tight with the F4.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#102  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Morpheus_ said:
    @Gambit1024: It depends on who is writing. Even when it is portrayed as sentient, its intellect and emotional resonance have occasionally been on childlike levels. Cyclops is simply betting on Hope to tame it by being its host. 

Marvel seems to be ignoring Phoenix: Endsong entirely for AvX. In that story, Logan tried to do the same thing to Jean (stab her repeatedly), and it worked...for a few seconds at a time. I have seen a scan of Logan talking to Hope in which they discuss him killing her in case push comes to shove, and Hope urges him to do it. I have not read that issue myself, but that might have something to do with Wolverine's behavior in # 2, which I admittedly found very off-putting.
    It's in character for Wolverine though, he also wanted to kill Wanda and Wiccan, just in case.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#103  Edited By Gambit1024

@CitizenBane said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@Lvenger said:

@Gambit1024: Even though I'm not reading the event, a problem I have with it is that there's no common sense being shown by the heroes. If Galactus showed up, no one would bicker over who would be his next herald. Instead they would unite to find a way to stop him from consuming the Earth. That's how it should be for all earth destroying threats. And Cyclops seems to have overolooked the fact that the PF drove Jean Grey mad and made her destroy planets before. Why does he think Hope can handle the PF better than one of the most powerful telepathic and telekinetic mutant?

Seriously, if this were Galactus, the whole thing would've been handled in a few panels. Even if he were to say something like "Hey, mutants. I could restore your powers, but I might not. Better let me come to Earth for me to decide first," would anybody really trust him? No, because he's freaking Galactus.

Oi, don't be hating on Galan. He's not a bad guy, he's pretty tight with the F4.

I'm not hating lol. I'm just saying that if he said somewhere out of the blue that he might restore mutants, but might have the second thoughts to eat Earth, nobody, not even the F4 would probably trust him.

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By VampireSelektor

@Gambit1024: Steve's visit could have came off as more collaborative than domineering. Steve didn't descend on Utopia yearning to brainstorm strategies on how to counter the Phoenix threat. He just said that he was taking Hope, but that the approval of the X-men would be nice. But Hope appears to be a conduit for the Phoenix, so hiding her doesn't make sense strategically. The Phoenix would possess her anyway. Why would moving her make a difference? I mean, the plot itself is shoddy, but Steve isn't the entirely logical person in this scenario. The X-Men should have been trusted to take the lead in this crisis, anyway.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#105  Edited By Gambit1024

@VampireSelektor: Bottom line is that he's scared. He's aware that the PF can and will destroy everything, and he's not taking any chances by leaving her where she is. I agree, he came on strong, but as the head of national security, I think I could let that slide. All he wants is constant surveillance under his standards, which again, I'll admit is coming on strong, but he feels obligated to do anything that he can to fully understand what they're dealing with. The X-Men, well Cyclops anyway, will not tolerate working with anyone, regardless of who they are or what they can offer, as he blatantly showed by blasting Steve, which is undoubtedly uncharacteristic if you ask me. Them being trusted to handle this mission would be out of the question by SHIELD standards.

Realistically though, this scenario would never happen. Cyclops has never (as far as I know) let his personal feelings get in the way of his leadership, and Captain America would've been much smarter to arrange a meeting with Cyclops ALONE and UNARMED if he wanted to avoid any kind of conflict whatsoever. Truth be told, both sides are wrong in their respective ways, but the X-Men (no, let me rephrase that) Cyclops, is being much more stupid here, and once again, is made to look like the bad guy, which I can't stand.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#106  Edited By Lvenger

@Gambit1024 said:

@CitizenBane said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@Lvenger said:

I'm not hating lol. I'm just saying that if he said somewhere out of the blue that he might restore mutants, but might have the second thoughts to eat Earth, nobody, not even the F4 would probably trust him.

Exactly. And like you said earlier the PF by itself hasn't shown any signs of intelligence or sentience so why does Cyclops think that the PF will restore the mutant race instead of doing its typical thing of destroying the Earth.

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By VampireSelektor

@Lvenger: The seven mutants that appeared faster Second Coming lends credence to the Phoenix, "the embodiment of the very passion of Creation – the spark that gave life to the Universe, the flame that will ultimately consume it", would restore the mutant race. If more mutants are sprouting up, that would mean humanity isn't obsolete, suggesting that the Earth wouldn't be destroyed.

@Gambit1024: I agree, although I would think S.H.I.E.L.D. would afford the X-Men more respect after the Breakworld affair and the sovereignty of Utopia.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Lvenger

@VampireSelektor: Note the phrase "flame that will ultimately consume it." Sounds to me like the Phoenix's path always ends in destruction. And that's only a hint, not a direct way of clearly restoring the mutant race unlike Scarlet Witch who actually said "No More Mutants" thus bringing the mutant race to near extinction. But I digress, we'll have to wait and see what will happen. Marvel probably has some sort of surprise up their sleeves but as of recently I haven't liked the way Marvel events have ended.

VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By VampireSelektor

@Lvenger: Yeah, Marvel events have disappointed for years. Cyclops and Captain America are brighter and more logical then they are here.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Lvenger

@VampireSelektor: How Avengers vs X-Men Should Have Ended:

Cap: Hey Scott. The Phoenix Force is coming to Earth and since you and the X-Men have expertise on it, I wanted to enlist your help to protect Hope and the planet from destruction.

Cyclops: Oh yes the destructive cosmic entity that destroys planets and drove my wife to her death is coming to Earth for Hope? Of course I'll help you Cap.

Cap: That's good to hear. I brought the Avengers along in case you wouldn't listen but I knew we could reach an understanding. I mean this is more important than a personal squabble.

Cyclops: Yes can you imagine what would have happened if we had disagreed and I had tried to blast you with my optic blasts?

Cap: That could have sparked a battle between the Avengers and the X-Men meaning that we would have fought amongst each other whilst a deadly cosmic force is coming to Earth to destroy it!

Cyclops: That would have been silly.

Cap: Indeed. Now let's grab a beer and work together like we usually do when a planet threatening crisis occurs.

Cyclops: I couldn't agree more Cap.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@Lvenger said:

@VampireSelektor: How Avengers vs X-Men Should Have Ended:

Cap: Hey Scott. The Phoenix Force is coming to Earth and since you and the X-Men have expertise on it, I wanted to enlist your help to protect Hope and the planet from destruction.

Cyclops: Oh yes the destructive cosmic entity that destroys planets and drove my wife to her death is coming to Earth for Hope? Of course I'll help you Cap.

Cap: That's good to hear. I brought the Avengers along in case you wouldn't listen but I knew we could reach an understanding. I mean this is more important than a personal squabble.

Cyclops: Yes can you imagine what would have happened if we had disagreed and I had tried to blast you with my optic blasts?

Cap: That could have sparked a battle between the Avengers and the X-Men meaning that we would have fought amongst each other whilst a deadly cosmic force is coming to Earth to destroy it!

Cyclops: That would have been silly.

Cap: Indeed. Now let's work together like we usually do when a planet threatening crisis occurs.

Cyclops: I couldn't agree more Cap.

This needed to include Beer and some Logan trolling lol.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Lvenger

@TheGreyOutcastX: I've included something about beer but I couldn't think of any good Logan trolling comments lol.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@Lvenger said:

@TheGreyOutcastX: I've included something about beer but I couldn't think of any good Logan trolling comments lol.

LOL Good show, sir.

Osian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Osian2

Both sides are acting stupid but really I want to know what Cap meant by taking her into custody. What does that mean? Is he going to put her somewhere where she will be safe protected by people with special powers like I dunno UTOPIA? Even if he did get Hope what was the next step? He said himself that the Avengers in space were on a suicide mission so taking Hope into custody solves nothing, the phoenix is still on its way! Instead of starting a fight with the X-men he should be thinking of a way to stop the Phoenix.

But my biggest problem with this forced story is that even if Hope is killed (like wolverine tried to do) its not like the phoenix is gonna do a total 180 and fly away!

Darcsteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Darcsteel

I've been wondering about how poorly written all of this has been for a while now. considering that wolverinr was the one advocating killing Witch and Wiccan why would Cap go to him for advice on what to do about the PF host. As was stated before logan's answer was to stab Jean repeatedly and that didnt do much good. Now with Cyke being on hand when Logan expressed his "wisdom" on how to handle the witch and wiccan issues Cap showing up looking for Hope with Logan in tow wouold make me a little edgy as well. And another point against poorly written why is it that Cap's first response to the PF is an invasion of Utopia to collect the POSSIBLE host of the PF from the people who have the most experience dealing with it?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#116  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Just read AvX 1 & 2.  I can't say I'm fond of it, but I couldn't resist checking it out and judging for myself.   Honestly, I'm not really sure how people can side with Cyclops on this one.  Based on the way Phoenix is being handled in this story, Scott's approach is a massive gamble and the odds certainly don't appear in his favor. 

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#117  Edited By charlieboy

maybe hope can control the phoenix. rachel never seemed to have a problem with it.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By TheCrowbar

Guys guys

Steve just wants to get into Jean's pants. I mean after hearing Logan ramble on about how great she is, could you blame him?

Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Daycrawler

@TheCrowbar said:

Guys guys

Steve just wants to get into Jean's pants. I mean after hearing Logan ramble on about how great she is, could you blame him?

Yikes! You saying Caps into necrophilia???

joshuagamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#120  Edited By joshuagamer

Cap is being inconsiderate of how it feels to be a mutant and have your entire people taken from you. Cyclops has shown to be a little pugnacious, but not entirely unprovoked.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.