Avengers Vs. X-Men #1, Infinite Comics and the Marvel AR App

#1 Posted by inferiorego (24588 posts) - - Show Bio

My iPad 1: No camera

My iPhone: Hacked to work on tmobile and camera is not compatible with this app.

It looks pretty cool though, and the digital copy of AvsX came with a really cool digital Nova back up

Staff
#2 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

So does this thing only work if you have hard copies of the books? I get most of my stuff digitally via their other app these days because there are very few stores that sell single issue Marvel comic books in Asia.

#3 Posted by G-Man (34125 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nudeviking: I would think you would need the hard copy. I tried downloading via the free code but despite getting a success after entering it, it's not showing up on my phone or iPad. But the idea is once the app is on, the camera recognizes the corresponding page it's pointed at (with the logo) and starts up the content. Unless the digital version has an option to launch into it, I'd say it's not there.

Also another note, I got the second page to work (the one that failed in the video). Axel Alonso walked out and talked.

Staff
#4 Posted by inferiorego (24588 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man said:

@Nudeviking: I would think you would need the hard copy. I tried downloading via the free code but despite getting a success after entering it, it's not showing up on my phone or iPad. But the idea is once the app is on, the camera recognizes the corresponding page it's pointed at (with the logo) and starts up the content. Unless the digital version has an option to launch into it, I'd say it's not there.

Also another note, I got the second page to work (the one that failed in the video). Axel Alonso walked out and talked.

The digital version does not have the option to load that content.

Staff
#5 Posted by zombietag (1494 posts) - - Show Bio

hated this way less than i thought i would. pretty crazy.

although, im not sure if itll sell more comics or not.

#6 Posted by jubeiyagyuX (121 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

@G-Man said:

I think it does actually,I scanned the cover of AvX #1 with the app on the Galaxy Nexus and it loaded fine.

#7 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@jubeiyagyuX said:

@inferiorego said:

@G-Man said:

I think it does actually,I scanned the cover of AvX #1 with the app on the Galaxy Nexus and it loaded fine.

So you'd need like two devices though right? Load up the comic on a kindle or whatever and then scan it with your phone or something?

#8 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember the whole panel about this at Wonder Con and thinking how much nicer it would be to see it demonstrated so this was pretty cool to see just how it works. Awesome!

#9 Posted by undeadpool616 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

i too thought this sounded awesome at Wondercon but felt i needed a demonstration so thank you for providing! also is anyone having trouble going to the site to download this? it keeps telling me the site has vanished!

#10 Posted by G-Man (34125 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedheadedAtrocitus: It was totally a last minute idea. I remembered writing the article about it and downloaded the app. Then I thought it could make an interesting video.

Staff
#11 Edited by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this is kinda a way to race against DC's New 52, they rebooted everything to make the universe more understandable for new readers, instead that Marvel gives the new reader enough info to understand the situation.

The only thing they do is avoid us of enter CV and look for info about it..... anyway I just read digitally so I have no chance to even try -_-

EDIT:

@Nudeviking said:

@jubeiyagyuX said:

@inferiorego said:

@G-Man said:

So you'd need like two devices though right? Load up the comic on a kindle or whatever and then scan it with your phone or something?

Really? AWESOME!!!

#12 Posted by kimjoshu (13 posts) - - Show Bio

This actually seems pretty cool, since its quite interactive and the additional content can be interesting. I think DC will come out with something similar.

#13 Posted by Deadcool (6810 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to know, HOW THE HELL THAT WORKS?!!

Is so damn cool!!!

#14 Posted by hooray (2 posts) - - Show Bio

will this also work in the collected hardcovers and trades?!?

#15 Posted by Atari_Graphics (176 posts) - - Show Bio

I just saw a demo of even more badass stuff you can do with this tech

#16 Posted by Deusx (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh wow that is really interesting! I wonder if Marvel can keep up with the extra content needed for each AR supported issue.

#17 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2244 posts) - - Show Bio

Another video I cannot watch. I gotta figure it out. I don't know enough about my computer to know why I can't see the videos, yet. Was AvX #1 reviewed here? Was the art separated into sections, with Dale Keown doing a few pages sort of thing? I don't own any technology that could get comics like this, I am guessing. Can the digital comic codes work on my home computer or just ipads and such?

#18 Posted by NXH (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

That's pretty cool. Just wonder wheather it will catch on.

#19 Posted by 00MirageKnight00 (41 posts) - - Show Bio

AWESOME!

#20 Posted by jubeiyagyuX (121 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nudeviking said:

@jubeiyagyuX said:

@inferiorego said:

@G-Man said:

Not really.Just use the AR app on either a phone or tablet and scan the physical copy or the digital one (which is where you'll probably need 2 devices).Hey I scanned the cover of AvX #1 off the web and it worked for me :P

#21 Posted by MarvelMan1985 (152 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually seems kinda funny. Thanks for the APP review, people!

#22 Posted by G-Man (34125 posts) - - Show Bio
Staff
#23 Posted by gsquirrelgo (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Man that is gimmicky! But it is pretty cool tech and has promise. I would really hope that they lean on it as a way to provide background on characters (Like the pop out of Hope Summers) I think that could really make the stories more accessible. That said this stuff should be on the digital versions as well, especially in those you get from the pack in coupon with new Marvel titles.

#24 Edited by feargalr (1163 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been sitting here for ages scanning pages of my physical copy with my phone and so far only got a few of them to work, and that was after a few scans.. seems like good idea, but it needs to work better.

@inferiorego: I really wanna read that nova back up but the stupid marvel website is being stupid, whenever I try redeem my code it just kinda freezes.

#25 Posted by OptimusCline (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like a good idea if used properly. I like the idea of the trailer on the cover. I can see someone in a comic shop scanning the cover of a book they may be interested in but not to sure about.

#26 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2244 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man:Wow, thanks a lot.

#27 Posted by krazyman27 (73 posts) - - Show Bio

The idea is kind of cool but still super gimmicky. The logo is too obvious so your eye is drawn to it as soon as you turn the page, which isn't a good thing. And the pencils to inks to colors transitions really don't warrant having to put that ugly logo on the bottom of the page.

#28 Posted by NuclearLife (53 posts) - - Show Bio

That is awesome, as long as they don't increase the prices of hardcopies there is nothing wrong with it. But alas i have no iProduct or tablet anyways.

#29 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3554 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to say that it all looks really cool. I wont be using it, but that's because my Kindle Fire doesn't have a camera to use it. Also, with comics I'm more trade wait. It definitely shows some promise.

I'm just curious if all the extra work behind these will effect the pricing,

@G-Man:

Applause to your work on the video solo. It must have been awkward to both hold the iPad and the camera at the same time.

#30 Posted by Queso6p4 (1437 posts) - - Show Bio

That's pretty cool. Too bad I only have a smartphone. Oh well.

#31 Posted by G-Man (34125 posts) - - Show Bio

@Queso6p4: you can download the app on your phone as well.

Staff
#32 Posted by The Impersonator (5483 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks cool and amazing. But I would rather stick with the physical comics.

#33 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9057 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deusx: I agree it will be a hard task ,but i think if Marel works a lot with the Ar App they will be able to keep it up.

#34 Posted by Cypher4 (72 posts) - - Show Bio

That was cool. Didn't know that much about Barry. However, I still prefer Wally.

#35 Posted by TheHood (155 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey, Marvel, how about tossing us Windows Phone users a bone?

#36 Posted by Queso6p4 (1437 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man: True, true, but it won't compare with something like an iPad screen. I'll still try it out, though.

#37 Posted by G-Man (34125 posts) - - Show Bio

@Queso6p4: And it's...

Staff
#38 Posted by VooDooPC (2 posts) - - Show Bio

I used my phone to look at the content through the Marvel AR app on my iPad, but you can't tell which pages contain AR stuff because it's not labeled in the digital version like it is in the print version. I guess I'll have to do every page and see what happens.

#39 Posted by StriderNo9 (104 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh that is pretty clever.

#40 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor got a new helmet, looks cool.

#41 Posted by y2curl (3 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheHood said:

Hey, Marvel, how about tossing us Windows Phone users a bone?

Agreed.

#42 Posted by untammed (442 posts) - - Show Bio

NO FREAKING WAY! AWESOME!

#43 Edited by SuperSoldier1941 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion, this is incredibly cool. I don't have an iPad at the moment but I hope to buy one soon. The Marvel Comics and the DC Comics apps, from what I've seen, look to be extremely awesome. I like the fact that I can read comic books on the go. That's one of the main reasons I'm getting an iPad. This "AR" app is a nice extra thrown in. :D

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.