Uncanny Avengers

#1 Posted by Paracelsus (1753 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not quite certain what the whole point of the new book "Uncanny Avengers" is. Surely it is common knowledge in the MU that known mutants have served in the Avengers with distinction( Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Beast, Justice, Firestar, to name but a few) so why should the two teams(X-Men and Avengers) more or less have overlapping members(pace Wolverine or Havok)?- I doubt very much that this will dampen down the fires of anti-mutant hysteria and prejudice!

Also how does Shiro Yoshida(Sunfire) fit in to this mix- surely he is NOT what Americans would call a "team player"(see his history with theX-Men) and anyway surely he has more pressing concerns with "Big Hero 6" back in Japan?

Terry

#2 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's more about an alliance between the Avengers and the X-Men rather than incorporating mutants into the Avengers.

#3 Posted by Shamelesslysupportinaznballers (553 posts) - - Show Bio

@Paracelsus said:

I'm not quite certain what the whole point of the new book "Uncanny Avengers" is. Surely it is common knowledge in the MU that known mutants have served in the Avengers with distinction( Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Beast, Justice, Firestar, to name but a few) so why should the two teams(X-Men and Avengers) more or less have overlapping members(pace Wolverine or Havok)?- I doubt very much that this will dampen down the fires of anti-mutant hysteria and prejudice!

Also how does Shiro Yoshida(Sunfire) fit in to this mix- surely he is NOT what Americans would call a "team player"(see his history with theX-Men) and anyway surely he has more pressing concerns with "Big Hero 6" back in Japan?

Terry

Mutants were part of the avengers but for the most part, their roles were not very important. When you think of the great avengers, the first ones that comes to mind are not any of the mutants. Uncanny Avengers is trying to change that.

As far as Sunfire, well I guess you'll just have to read what Remender has in mind.

#4 Posted by xxxddd (3593 posts) - - Show Bio

Current Avengers suck.

#5 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it was to give Mutants a more prominent role in the avengers, since the avengers are a super team "for the american citizens" and showing their heroes working under a Mutant leader (Havok) will lower tensions between the Mutant and non-Mutant communities.

#6 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAmazingImmortalMan said:

I think it was to give Mutants a more prominent role in the avengers, since the avengers are a super team "for the american citizens" and showing their heroes working under a Mutant leader (Havok) will lower tensions between the Mutant and non-Mutant communities.

that sounds about right.

As far as Sunfire goes, I'm pretty sure he didn't join the X-men because they were outlaws, whereas the Avengers are more universally considered legitimate heroes. I'm actually quite looking foreword to seeing what they do with him.

#7 Posted by judasnixon (6935 posts) - - Show Bio

Did anyone notice the Red Skull shoving Honey Boo Boo's mom in Captain America's face in the last issue of Uncanny Avengers?

#8 Posted by Thunderscream (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm confused by the direction of Uncanny Avengers so far. I get that now it's building up to this Children of Apocalypse thing...but I just haven't been captivated by the premise of Red Skull grafting Xavier's brain to his to gain telepathy. And I'm really disappointed with Cassaday's art this go'round. His work on Astonishing X-Men was flawless... in this book his proportions are off and everything just looks rushed. :-/

#9 Posted by RaceAddict (33 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

Did anyone notice the Red Skull shoving Honey Boo Boo's mom in Captain America's face in the last issue of Uncanny Avengers?

I'm glad (and proud) to say that until I Googled "honey boo boo" I had no idea who/what you were referring to. Unfortunately, thanks to you, I now know. :(

#10 Posted by KingHellion (52 posts) - - Show Bio

@Paracelsus said:

Terry

I'm glad somebody else remembers Justice and Firestar.

#11 Posted by The Stegman (25487 posts) - - Show Bio
I'm frankly underwhelmed by this and all  Avengers titles in Marvel NOW, except for  New Avengers.
#12 Posted by Avengers_4everXX (156 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shamelesslysupportinaznballers: I disagree. I think at the very least Wanda comes to mind when one thinks about the most famous/prominent Avengers. She was one of their first recruits, after all, and she lead the team at one point

Quicksilver is arguable, since he joined at the same time as Wanda but isn't quite as entrenched in Avengers history as his sister. Even Beast was a member during some of their best stories, but he's definitely more associated with the X-Men. Heck, though I hate to say it, even Wolverine has become an Avengers mainstay(unfortunately). So I don't think it's necessarily just about having mutants in prominent roles in the Avengers organization, it's about, like Cap said in the series, the Avengers setting the example for the rest of the world by showing everyone that humans and mutants can work together

#13 Posted by TDK_1997 (15076 posts) - - Show Bio

The whole thing has no real reason and the Avengers titles after the Marvel NOW! thing are just really average and bad.Only New Avengers became something good.

#14 Posted by Shamelesslysupportinaznballers (553 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avengers_4everXX: Your examples reminds me of Cloak & Dagger along with Juggernaut being involved in the X-Men and saying that non-mutants are a big part of the team when in reality non-mutants have been just sprinkled in.

Wanda did have a good role but it's the exception I guess. Just like Juggernaut, a non-mutant in the X-Men.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.