The Real Reasons Storm Was Not Asked To Join The New Team

#1 Edited by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

1) She's black Yes, I'm pulling the race card. But hear me out. Obama, perhaps out of all his predecessors, has suffered virulent, baseless criticisms about his ideology, race, religion, and history. No other President has ever been called anything close to a "secret commie moslem". There are no films accusing past Presidents of trying to undermine the eminence of the United States for the sake of evening the global playing field (i.e. "2016: Obama's America"). Imagine what Storm would have to go through. Even though Storm was born in the definitive American city, New York, her varied history would likely fuel barbs against her character and the team. That brings us to the second point.

2) She has a checkered history Would you vote for a person who is worshipped as a goddess in a third world country? The very fact could open her up to policymakers and pundits doubting her ability to lead democratically, regardless of whether colleagues and (comic fans) know the truth (she's awesome). Her career as a pickpocket could easily be dug up and scrutinized past reason. And what of her marriage to Black Panther? Doesn't her marriage call her loyalties into question? Yes, the marriage will likely end soon, but still, it's another chink in the armor.

3) She's an integral X-Man Although X-writers may not bless their pages with Storm as often as they used to, she's still an iconic and crucial member of the team-cum-organization. Perhaps she's too close for some people's taste. She may have been a Cyclops critic during AvX, but perception holds greater weight than truth.

4) Her marriage is crumbling The love Storm and Black Panther had could not welcome the rigors of DoomWar and AvX. Operating on a lower profile may give her sometime to heal after the fact.

Thoughts? Agree? D I S A G R E E ? ?

p.s Havok may not have been the most obvious choice for leader, but there is nothing in his history that would make him open to criticism quite like Storm. No one remembers Inferno, his time with the Brotherhood can and will likely be chalked up to "covert ops", and, despite jibes saying otherwise, he is a great leader, with a resume to boot.

EDIT: It's interesting how Havok has been chosen to lead integration efforts between mutants and humans. Havok and Polaris left the X-Men early on to lead normal, productive lives. Had it no been for the X-Men, Havok might have earned his doctorate and shared a life of research with Polaris. Having Havok act as the public face of a PR effort like Uncanny Avengers makes sense given the life he's led before "War of Kings". Cyclops was the one most committed to Xavier's dream, but never had the chance to live amongst normal people, human or mutant. Xavier had decades' worth of life experience exploring continents before leading a paramilitary/outreach/education organization. Perhaps living in a bubble (combined with recent plans for the character) did not prepare Cyclops for closing the human-mutant gap. On the other hand, it seemed like Cyclops was on the right track in "Astonishing X-Men". Hmm.

#2 Posted by Billy Batson (58270 posts) - - Show Bio

Because she's going to be in Uncanny X-Forcce?
BB

#3 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

BB

Her marriage is crumbling The love Storm and Black Panther had could not welcome the rigors of DoomWar and AvX. Operating on a lower profile may give her sometime to heal after the fact.

#4 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Marvel doesn't care about what makes sense. If they did Rogue would have led over Havok, but regardless only the last two of your points make any sense to me. I disagree with her perception not holding any truth, if anything I feel her voice carries more truth and less weight and has since she was married to Tchalla. So following that her divorce, I agree here having some time away from a leadership position will give her some me time to heal and reflect on her divorce and the death of Xavier which I would hope that writers realize should be a huge hit for her. She was one of the few X-Men that still held onto his dream after all.

@Billy Batson said:

BB

and this she isn't Wolverine, a three book regular appearance limit should exist for all comic characters if you ask me.

#5 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

1.) LOL she's part of the Illuminati...err New Avengers and Uncanny X-force.

2.) Because Scarlet Witch doesn't have a checkered past?

3.) Not really. People would sooner recognize Halle Berry from the movies than call her Storm. That's her single public claim to fame, there no real "Character defining story" about Storm. Havoc has been an integral X-man for much longer than Storm anyway.

4.) She's part of the same team with Black Panther.

No the real reason Storm isn't part of Uncanny Avengers is because the writer didn't want to use her.

#6 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

Are you pulling the race card for why Marvel didn't put he on a book(besides UXF) or why she wasn't invited in the fictional universe?

#7 Posted by stormphoenix (944 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

3.) Not really. People would sooner recognize Halle Berry from the movies than call her Storm. That's her single public claim to fame, there no real "Character defining story" about Storm. Havoc has been an integral X-man for much longer than Storm anyway.

No the real reason Storm isn't part of Uncanny Avengers is because the writer didn't want to use her.

Woah hold on.....hey are you serious is she really? On those teams?

#8 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@Duke_Nasty: The fictional universe.

#9 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@stormphoenix: Yep

#10 Posted by wickedfun (61 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: Since when? Where was this stated that she was on the New Avengers?

#11 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: When was that confirmed. Was it yesterday? I may have missed the panel.

#12 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: Eh, Rogue was a member of The Brotherhood. "The Daily Bugle" trashed the New Avengers for including Luke Cage, Spider-Woman and Wolverine among their ranks. A former terrorist leading an Avengers team would probably not go over well with the public, unless a PR team can spin her to look like the mutant Nelson Mandela. @TheCrowbar said:

1) Storm does not lead New Avengers. And this was before AxX, no?

2) You have me there. Marvel Editorial might be using "Frenchman and Species" rules here; that is, it's better for her to be on this team than in the outside world or bitter in person. Rehabilitation over repression.

3) Havok is a more iconic member than Storm? Havok is a longer-tenured active X-Man than Storm?

4) What team is that?

#13 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

@VampireSelektor: In that case

Imagine what Storm would have to go through. Even though Storm was born in the definitive American city, New York, her varied history would likely fuel barbs against her character and the team. That brings us to the second point.

I doubt when you have a space God and a magical witch whose the daughter of Magneto on Uncanny Avengers people would care that much about her being Black. And she would definitely not have the most checkered past on that team.

#14 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@VampireSelektor:

1.) No. It's part of Marvel Now! And they're the Illuminati.

2.) Wrong, in the MU Uncanny Avengers is meant to be a bridge between Mutants and the rest of the world. It's not a thunderbolts like team.

3.) In the MU yes, outside of the MU Havok has been an X-man much longer than Storm. He was still an X-man during his Mutant X series and during War of Kings. A comic book fan, the target demographic is likely to understand Havok as the leader of UA than Storm. For all the chest pounding her fans do, she's really a very hollow character.

4.) New Avengers in Marvel Now!

#15 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@wickedfun: @Blood1991: She was on one of the covers one sec.

#16 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

@VampireSelektor:

2.) Wrong, in the MU Uncanny Avengers is meant to be a bridge between Mutants and the rest of the world. It's not a thunderbolts like team.

3.) In the MU yes, outside of the MU Havok has been an X-man much longer than Storm. He was still an X-man during his Mutant X series and during War of Kings. A comic book fan, the target demographic is likely to understand Havok as the leader of UA than Storm. For all the chest pounding her fans do, she's really a very hollow character.

Being an X-Man and contributing to them are very different, She has lead them longer than any other character besides Cyclops, as for the rest that is your opinion and while I disagree entirely I respect it.

#17 Posted by wickedfun (61 posts) - - Show Bio

Hollow? I'll keep my thoughts to myself...I don't have anything nice to say.

#18 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1355 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait an ash blonde blue eyed comic character is african/black.

Well I,ll be.

#19 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: 1.) Havoc is an original student of Xavier's.

2.) Havoc fought against several mutant apocalypses. Like literally gone to war for Xavier's ideals, Storm has done nothing close.

Sorry I looked it up again, Hickman wanted her and Doctor Voodoo Marvel Editorial told him no. She was meant to be part of the New Avengers.

#20 Edited by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

@VampireSelektor:

What other team would require Scarlet Witch to be on her best behavior? A PR effort, not a covert ops group.

@Duke_Nasty said:

@VampireSelektor: In that case

Imagine what Storm would have to go through. Even though Storm was born in the definitive American city, New York, her varied history would likely fuel barbs against her character and the team. That brings us to the second point.

I doubt when you have a space God and a magical witch whose the daughter of Magneto on Uncanny Avengers people would care that much about her being Black. And she would definitely not have the most checkered past on that team.

Has Thor not always enjoyed positive reception from the Western world? I'm not being crass, this is a genuine question. I always believed Thor was a superhero beloved the world over.

And you're right, choosing Scarlet Witch as a member would be controversial, but does the general public know Wanda was responsible for M-Day? And as I wrote before, what other team would require Scarlet Witch to be on her best behavior? A PR effort, not a covert ops group.

It isn't just that Storm is black, it's that she's spent most of her life either worshipped as a goddess and working for the X-Men, i.e. a dubious history.

#21 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

2.) Havoc fought against several mutant apocalypses. Like literally gone to war for Xavier's ideals, Storm has done nothing close.

Sorry I looked it up again, Hickman wanted her and Doctor Voodoo Marvel Editorial told him no. She was meant to be part of the New Avengers.

Ororo took the reins and kept the X-Men alive when they thought Xavier was dead, and when she was thought to be dead the X-Men fell apart and split up. From there you have a character that has put her life on the line sacrificing every aspect of herself for his cause and for him "up until her marriage anyway". Havok is a great character, but I feel Storm has done more, but that could be my fandom talking.

#22 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7306 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: But he's nowhere near as iconic. When you think of the X-Men you think of 'Professor Xavier, Wolverine, Cyclops' and most probably Storm, but those three tops. You don't think of Scott Summers' little brother.

#23 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@TheCrowbar said:

Ororo took the reins and kept the X-Men alive when they thought Xavier was dead, and when she was thought to be dead the X-Men fell apart and split up. From there you have a character that has put her life on the line sacrificing every aspect of herself for his cause and for him "up until her marriage anyway". Havok is a great character, but I feel Storm has done more, but that could be my fandom talking.

You're right. She even lost her powers for the cause. I do feel Havok is the more appropriate choice given the political climate of the MU, though.

#24 Edited by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane: Possibly . I'm also paraphrasing Captain America's words in UA 1 too.

#25 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7306 posts) - - Show Bio

What's funny, is that Storm was already going places with the idea behind Uncanny Avengers back when Clarmont got back on Uncanny with his New Age arc. Taking her XSE across the globe and actually doing something about the mutant/human conflict.

This is nothing new.

#26 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

@VampireSelektor: Maybe but relatives of mutants that are feared and hated and former X-Men would probably be considered as having dubious histories. As long as you've got Cap on there and he supports whoever is on the team to an extent I think people would respect it.

I really think the reason she wasn't on the team is because Marvel wanted to make her a badass with a mohawk again so she is on X-Force. Hopefully they explain why she is on that team in Marvel NOW.

#27 Edited by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@Duke_Nasty said:

@VampireSelektor: Maybe but relatives of mutants that are feared and hated and former X-Men would probably be considered as having dubious histories. As long as you've got Cap on there and he supports whoever is on the team to an extent I think people would respect it.

I really think the reason she wasn't on the team is because Marvel wanted to make her a badass with a mohawk again so she is on X-Force. Hopefully they explain why she is on that team in Marvel NOW.

This could be editorial overkill, yes. "Near non-entity to brutal badass" makes sense in the current era of mainstream comics. I was trying to guess at the thinking processes of the characters themselves - political, emotional, or otherwise.

Also, Wolverine and the U.S. government could easily testify to Havok's emotional and ideological distance from Cyclops. Cyclops deserves from credit, too. His fall occurred only a few weeks ago, and the Avengers bear some responsibility for that as well. Up until AvX, he was a respected leader and perhaps the most trusted field commander in the MU.

#28 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: Yes, but I meant the reasons within the fictional universe, not the editorial reason.

#29 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (7657 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

BB

#30 Edited by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: Are you kidding yourself, do you know anything about Storm or the Xmen,dude you're way damned confused or intoxicated. You must have grew up on the Fox network Xmen Cartoon or something, I bet you actually believe Rogue was involved in the Phoenix saga I'm sure! I believe you're a heckler,at any rate go do some research on Storm before you speak down on the character because It's 100% likely you are misinformed or just plain lacking in knowledge of the character, who has lead the xmen on several times in a main title not an branch title from a major X title, like Rogue and Havok.Havok is cool for the record, but you're misinformed about him as well, up you're game before you start downgrading characters.

hit me when get some facts!

#31 Posted by PassionFlower (963 posts) - - Show Bio

She wasn't asked to join because everybody knows having Havok as team leader over her is absurd and for what ever his reason the writer wants Havok.

#32 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74: Everything I've mentioned was a fact, unless I've stated otherwise. Do not expect a response from me further once I've posted. We're talking comics and you're getting fanatical. Havok was introduced way before Storm, and Captain America in UA 1 named Havok one of the first students of the X-men. Next time you respond to me, try it in a calm collected manner.

#33 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

Because Marvel doesn't care about what makes sense. If they did Rogue would have led over Havok, but regardless only the last two of your points make any sense to me. I disagree with her perception not holding any truth, if anything I feel her voice carries more truth and less weight and has since she was married to Tchalla. So following that her divorce, I agree here having some time away from a leadership position will give her some me time to heal and reflect on her divorce and the death of Xavier which I would hope that writers realize should be a huge hit for her. She was one of the few X-Men that still held onto his dream after all.

@Billy Batson said:

BB

and this she isn't Wolverine, a three book regular appearance limit should exist for all comic characters if you ask me.

Wait, her perception or others' perception of her? The marriage arc of Black Panther led me to believe that Storm was a renowned X-Man, but a lead position on an Avengers is bound to garner scrutiny. That's why I made the Obama comparison. Obama was the most buzzed and adored new star in politics in 2007, and a possible subversive threatening America a year later; still adored, but darkened a bit. I can see why Cap would pick a Havok or another "clean" mutant to lead instead of Storm.

#34 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@VampireSelektor said:

@Blood1991 said:

@Billy Batson said:

BB

Wait, her perception or others' perception of her? The marriage arc of Black Panther led me to believe that Storm was a renowned X-Man, but a lead position on an Avengers is bound to garner scrutiny. That's why I made the Obama comparison. Obama was the most buzzed and adored new star in politics in 2007, and a possible subversive threatening America a year later; still adored, but darkened a bit. I can see why Cap would pick a Havok or another "clean" mutant to lead instead of Storm.

Yes, she was in alot of titles, but she was always just BP's wife, even in X titles she was talked down to because she "wasn't there". As for her leading the Avengers personally that's a no "so is Havok", but her Co-leading an Avengers/X-Men team makes sense, she even co-lead the Avengers in Marvel Adventures and she didn't need her husbands recommendation to get that position.

@evilvegeta74 said:

@TheCrowbar: Are you kidding yourself, do you know anything about Storm or the Xmen,dude you're way damned confused or intoxicated. You must have grew up on the Fox network Xmen Cartoon or something, I bet you actually believe Rogue was involved in the Phoenix saga I'm sure! I believe you're a heckler,at any rate go do some research on Storm before you speak down on the character because It's 100% likely you are misinformed or just plain lacking in knowledge of the character, who has lead the xmen on several times in a main title not an branch title from a major X title, like Rogue and Havok.Havok is cool for the record, but you're misinformed about him as well, up you're game before you start downgrading characters.

Dude you need to chill out abit, we are a diverse crowd with different opinions, and while I don't agree with TheCrowbar I respect him and his different opinions.

#35 Posted by jhazzroucher (16390 posts) - - Show Bio

@VampireSelektor said:

1) She's black Yes, I'm pulling the race card. But hear me out. Obama, perhaps out of all his predecessors, has suffered virulent, baseless criticisms about his ideology, race, religion, and history. No other President has ever been called anything close to a "secret commie moslem". There are no films accusing past Presidents of trying to undermine the eminence of the United States for the sake of evening the global playing field (i.e. "2016: Obama's America"). Imagine what Storm would have to go through. Even though Storm was born in the definitive American city, New York, her varied history would likely fuel barbs against her character and the team. That brings us to the second point.

2) She has a checkered history Would you vote for a person who is worshipped as a goddess in a third world country? The very fact could open her up to policymakers and pundits doubting her ability to lead democratically, regardless of whether colleagues and (comic fans) know the truth (she's awesome). Her career as a pickpocket could easily be dug up and scrutinized past reason. And what of her marriage to Black Panther? Doesn't her marriage call her loyalties into question? Yes, the marriage will likely end soon, but still, it's another chink in the armor.

3) She's an integral X-Man Although X-writers may not bless their pages with Storm as often as they used to, she's still an iconic and crucial member of the team-cum-organization. Perhaps she's too close for some people's taste. She may have been a Cyclops critic during AvX, but perception holds greater weight than truth.

4) Her marriage is crumbling The love Storm and Black Panther had could not welcome the rigors of DoomWar and AvX. Operating on a lower profile may give her sometime to heal after the fact.

Thoughts? Agree? D I S A G R E E ? ?

p.s Havok may not have been the most obvious choice for leader, but there is nothing in his history that would make him open to criticism quite like Storm. No one remembers Inferno, his time with the Brotherhood can and will likely be chalked up to "covert ops", and, despite jibes saying otherwise, he is a great leader, with a resume to boot.

EDIT: It's interesting how Havok has been chosen to lead integration efforts between mutants and humans. Havok and Polaris left the X-Men early on to lead normal, productive lives. Had it no been for the X-Men, Havok might have earned his doctorate and shared a life of research with Polaris. Having Havok act as the public face of a PR effort like Uncanny Avengers makes sense given the life he's led before "War of Kings". Cyclops was the one most committed to Xavier's dream, but never had the chance to live amongst normal people, human or mutant. Xavier had decades' worth of life experience exploring continents before leading a paramilitary/outreach/education organization. Perhaps living in a bubble (combined with recent plans for the character) did not prepare Cyclops for closing the human-mutant gap. On the other hand, it seemed like Cyclops was on the right track in "Astonishing X-Men". Hmm.

i can't believe you forgot one obvious reason why Ororo Munroe is not part of Uncanny Avengers.

It is because Thor is on that team.

#36 Edited by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@VampireSelektor said:

@Blood1991 said:

@Billy Batson said:

BB

Yes, she was in alot of titles, but she was always just BP's wife, even in X titles she was talked down to because she "wasn't there". As for her leading the Avengers personally that's a no "so is Havok", but her Co-leading an Avengers/X-Men team makes sense, she even co-lead the Avengers in Marvel Adventures and she didn't need her husbands recommendation to get that position.

@evilvegeta74 said:

Dude you need to chill out abit, we are a diverse crowd with different opinions, and while I don't agree with TheCrowbar I respect him and his different opinions.

I meant "wedding" arc, but yeah. I understand that she was in a few titles, but how does that speak to her public reputation? Positively, as in Storm "Jackie O" to Black Panther "Jack Kennedy"? I suspect the opposite to be true: Storm would make a great field leader for an Avengers squad in different times. Nowadays, if Storm led an X-Men/Avengers rehabilitation team, her character would be vulnerable to over scrutiny. Havok the blue-eyed blonde with the master's degree, the government affiliation, and relative distance from the X-Men is the safer pick.

#37 Edited by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: HAHAHAHA. That is right, isn't it? Oh, well. Still, in an ideal world, Storm would lead an "Uncanny Avengers". And I doubt that factored into the editorial process. Or did it?

#38 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@VampireSelektor: I suppose that could be it if you reached for it, but honestly I think Marvel just wanted to use him there. Storm redeemed herself in AVX, Tchalla won't be on that team, and Wolverine and Rogue would vouch for her. I would have preferred if Steve had ask her and she declined even if it was a bullsh!t response her being an option is something any fan could see that they didn't address and should have.

#39 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: This would be an easier debate in an non-AvX environment. There are too many politics involved now that mutants are back to square one again. On another note, Havok has it in him to lead any team superbly, but his attitude towards Scott is surprising. Perhaps his anger at Scott stems from losing all of his family within the span of a year?

#40 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@VampireSelektor said:

@Blood1991: This would be an easier debate in an non-AvX environment. There are too many politics involved now that mutants are back to square one again. On another note, Havok has it in him to lead any team superbly, but his attitude towards Scott is surprising. Perhaps his anger at Scott stems from losing all of his family within the span of a year?

Alex has never been on board with his brother, he always felt like a shadow, but I think he is more disappointed than angry, angry Alex may have socked him. Havok has made alot of mistakes in leading positions, but I think if given a chance to grow he could be a great leader, and he has the benefit of having Captain America around who I'm sure will become a role model of sorts throughout the series.

#41 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

No. The real reason is that Marvel is just acting stupid.

#42 Posted by PassionFlower (963 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I'm putting the blame on Nick Lowe being a knucklehead.

#43 Edited by UltraBiel (328 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone said that Storm can't be together with Thor in the same team. I agree, too redundant.

#44 Posted by UltraBiel (328 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly...Storm or Rogue should be leading this team...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.