Review: Avengers: The Initiative #35

Posted by inferiorego (21261 posts) - - Show Bio
Born out of the Superhero Registration Act, what is this team to do when the law is repealed? This issue takes place right after the events of Siege #4, and since it is the last issue of the series, they're essentially wrapping everything up into a nice tight package. 

The Good

I don't normally read this book, and frankly, I'm not a fan of Siege, so I really don't have any clue who these characters are and what's going on. I do, however, really like the idea of the team in this book. Again, this is just a wrap up book, but it is still relatively entertaining. I've always been a fan of Christos Gage, and I think he's a highly underrated writer. The art, pencils by Jorge Molina, can be a little cartoony at time, but I'm still digging it.

The Bad

All the sub-plots are wrapping up, and I'm lost. Can someone direct me to what is going on? Everything seems to be going back to normality, before the Superhero Registration Act, which to me, kind of stinks. I would have liked to see it in place for another year or so, but having the "good guys" behind it. Anyway, this book jumps around, a lot. For a couple pages we're seeing what a couple characters are up to, and then we're checking out two other characters somewhere else. I'm continuously getting confused.

The Verdict - 3.5/5

Don't pick this up if you don't normally read it. I'm sure if I was reading this monthly I would have really enjoyed this book, especially if I was following Siege, like everyone else. But the fact of the matter is I'm not following this book, and I'm not following Siege, so this book was enjoyable, but utterly confusing for me, even with the 1-Page catch-up in the beginning of the issue. 
Staff
#1 Edited by MisterMollusk (103 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand how you can express an opinion on a book without reading the rest of the arc. That's like reviewing the last page of a novel. I guess what I'm saying: yo why're you bothering?

#2 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm fine with the act being repealed... but I never read this book. Cept for that arc with Spider-man's Iron-Spider clones.

#3 Posted by inferiorego (21261 posts) - - Show Bio
@MisterMollusk said:
" I don't understand how you can express an opinion on a book without reading the rest of the arc. That's like reviewing the last page of a novel. I guess what I'm saying: yo why're you bothering? "
Check out my review next week when I look at the last 2 pages of Moby Dick
Staff
#4 Posted by MisterMollusk (103 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego: lulz. But if you haven't read Moby Dick you totally should.
#5 Posted by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by inferiorego (21261 posts) - - Show Bio
Staff
#7 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1378 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by Vance Astro (91123 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice Review,Inferiorego.

#9 Posted by inferiorego (21261 posts) - - Show Bio
@JoeRiccadonna: the first page says you should read siege first, but I did flip through (and occasionally read a page) or siege 4 and it doesn't seem to spoil too much
Staff
#10 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1378 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego said:
" @JoeRiccadonna: the first page says you should read siege first, but I did flip through (and occasionally read a page) or siege 4 and it doesn't seem to spoil too much "

Aight. Thanks. I'll probably pick it up. I loved the Initiative at first but it just kept going down hill. I only picked it up for some unknown reason. Pick this one just to see how it ends.
#11 Edited by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio
@JoeRiccadonna: Wow are you kidding me? Downhill? Its been a great series. It went down hill when siege started. Which was maybe 3 issues.
@MisterMollusk:  I agree

Tigra's kid was cute. Is the kid still a skrull?
#12 Posted by Vance Astro (91123 posts) - - Show Bio
@doordoor123 said:
 I agree  Tigra's kid was cute. Is the kid still a skrull? "
What else would it be?
#13 Posted by G-Man (30689 posts) - - Show Bio
@MisterMollusk: It may not be ideal but every book could potentially be someone's "first" book.
Staff Online
#14 Posted by Jake Fury (18169 posts) - - Show Bio
@JoeRiccadonna: Read Siege #4 before reading this. 
#15 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1378 posts) - - Show Bio
@doordoor123:
Hey man, my opinion, your opinion. Simple as that.
#16 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro:  I mean it didnt have the slightest resemblance to a skrull
#17 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

Was it me or did they make Captain America seem like a  douchebag  in this book, best part of this book to me was the last page caption of prodigy stating he is putting together a new Slingers team, Joy!

#18 Edited by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

havent read the issue yet but wouldnt that mean it only takes a month or two to gestate a skrull? cause back when she an osborn had their little talk she was only 6 weeks along

#19 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

You can't just read the last issue and expect to know what's going on.

#20 Posted by NodNolan (109 posts) - - Show Bio

I read Avengers Initiative month in month out. I did not however read the main SIEGE series, or Avengers Finale. (and I did not have a spare $9 this week either) it was frustrating for me as an monthly reader to have the time jumps refer back to those two SIEGE series and have massively jolting scene cuts. 

Christos Gage is a great writer, but his wrap up here was stilted. 

and I concur with all those who say "any issue could be someones first", you should always be able to get the gist of what is going on from just reading one issue. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.