caladbolglight's Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6 review

WHAT?!

THERE IS A SMALL SPOILERS SECTION IN THE the bad PART OF MY REVIEW. SORRY IF THAT'S THE CASE. I WILL NO LONGER USE THE SPOILERS HIDE THINGY CAUSE IT DOESN"T WORK WELL FOR ME I AM VERY VERY VERY SORRY!!! :(

The Story

We start off from last issue where the Scarlet Witch got her powers back. She goes on this lengthly tirade about why she did the things she did. She mystically summons some Kree warships and a small battalion of Ultron robots to help her commit suicide (dramatic, eh?). Hawkeye, Jessica Jones, and Beast show up on the scene and Hawkeye reminisces how he and Wanda did the nasty-in-the-pasty, to the general shock of the other two. They meet up with the Young Avengers and Ant-Man and start chattin' and being happy to all be alive again. Hawkeyes take down the Kree while Speed somehow annihilates the Ultrons (aren't they supposed to be strong?), and Wiccan decides to try and reason with Wanda. She realises in this moment of divine bliss that Wiccan and Speed are her sons and they have this great big cute family moment. The Avengers are on route and Wanda continues to have suicidal tendencies. Beast suggests that Wanda tries undoing M-Day, and Jessica Jones decides to call X-Factor for a second opinion. X-Factor disagree, saying that it's too big a risk, though Rictor decides to be a guinea pig for the experiment, saying that he misses his powers. They try it out, and it works, giving that an earthquake starts. He's delighted. The X-Men show up (presumably because a new mutant just appeared), and Wanda decides to give them what they want, "more mutants."

The Good
Jim Cheung's art is beast, the plot is riveting and Heinburg's writing is awesome. Plus I love the Young Avengers, so it's a major plus for me.

The Bad
Hm. Surprisingly, I wasn't that thrilled with this issue, and there are several reasons for this. Primarily, this series' release date is HIGHLY irregular. Sometimes it'll be MONTHS before the next issue is released, and I don't exactly like that. Second, where is this issue in the general Earth-616 timeline?! The first issue stated that this series happened after Siege, and Beast isn't part of the X-Men, so it should be part of the Heroic Age, but Steve Rogers is still Captain America...WHAT?! Also, way too much happened in this issue. WAY WAY WAY to much. Too many characters showed up, too much "benefit of the doubt" events. For more information, read the above plot summary. Lastly, I have noooooooo f*****g idea where this is going to go! Will Iron Lad stay a member of the team? Will Wiccan's powers come back? Will Ant-Man stay alive? Will the Scarlet Witch come back into the spotlight? Will she end up marrying Doom? Will Rictor keep his new powers? Will M-Day be reversed? Somehow, I think that one of two things is going to happen. Either this series is going to crazily change the X-Men, X-Factor, Avengers, Young Avengers titles by a lot, or everything that happens in this series is going to be undone in the last issue do to the writers not being able to have such sway over the other series and it being a miniseries. I personally hope for the former, but believe in the latter. What do you guys think?

While this issue was plenty confusing and what-not, it made me want to get my hands on the next issue IMMEDIATELY. Out of the 4 series that I'm currently pursuing (Fear Itself, Uncanny X-Force, Alpha Flight, and Avengers: The Children's Crusade), this one was the most important issue (potentially), for Marvel as a whole. PICK IT UP IF YOU'RE READING THE SERIES OF ALL THE ISSUES TO MISS, NOT THIS ONE.
Posted by Sobe Cin

The ramifications as a whole will be a huge deal with this issue alone.
Posted by CATPANEXE

Love this series. Solid work, and I can "feel " the characters here.
This series is actually tying up the loose plot ends left over from Disassembled, House Of M,
Endangered Species and then some, and the really good part, is it's actually being pulled off
in a short span without coming out cheesy, half-baked or anticlimactic like many Marvel events
have ended, without missing a beat at that.

This is must read material for any current Marvel enthusiast.