Avengers Arena, Final Count = 9 live - 7 die (Spoilers)

• 71 results
#51 Posted by impossibilly (893 posts) - - Show Bio

The cover to Avengers Arena 11 is a homage to The Blue Lagoon.

I'm trying to put together what the covers signify, I've managed most but not all. Can anyone fill in any of the unknowns, thanks

Avengers Arena #11 - Game On Part 4 of 5 - Cover = Unknown

#52 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

@impossibilly: Yeah, I recall Hopeless saying they'd planned to stop the homages after the first arc but ones like this one were too good to pass up.

#53 Edited by crimsonspider89 (817 posts) - - Show Bio

Also sales for May outside of Digital was barely 20k. So.... already at end Academy sales.

#55 Posted by animehunter (2306 posts) - - Show Bio

If you've read Avengers Arena #11 - Game On Part 4 of 5 you would have found out

There are 5 days left of Arcade's deadline

OH and no-one dies in this issue, can't say the same for issue #12 at least according to this, Nico is back from the dead, whether or not it really is her and not a possessed body or knowing Marvel's obsession a ZOMBIE, we will have to wait and see.

#56 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

@animehunter: I heard someone complaining that there was no possible way for it to already be day 25. They had the various times from previous issues to prove it. Kind of funny. Also kind of insane to think that after 25 days of refusing to kill, they will suddenly turn on one another. As a non-reader, I can't be positive as to just how much tension has been built, but I haven't really gotten the sense that any of the pre-existing characters were ready to fight each other to death just yet. Apex, maybe, and Arcade. But each other? No, I don't buy that.

#57 Edited by animehunter (2306 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert: I got that impression as well, for me I can only guess when it comes to Hazmat and Laura/X-23, they only reason they would be fighting is somehow Hazmat got dowsed with Trigger Scent again.

As for the guy complaining it can't be 25 days, if you look at scan with Cammi who by the looks of it was keeping track of the amount of time that passes, clearly shows 25 days on the clock.

on a separate note - do you get notified if you receive new messages in your inbox, because I don't.

#58 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

@animehunter: No. The new notification system sometimes shows mentions but for the most part I depend on checking my favorite boards/topics regularly for updates.

He was complaining that it can't be 25 days, and therefore having it be 25 days (as evidenced by that scan, for example) was stupid. Basically he lined up all the events which have had timestamps to them, as well as circumstantial evidence of how long it had been since various events (for example, no time is given for when they find that Juston is dead, but his death happened on day 14, so it only seems reasonable that they found him the next morning since they were right there). Anyway, I don't care one way or the other, but it seems most people were expecting it to not be quite so late (many folks have pointed out there's still a ways to go in the competition to see the kids begin to act differently and such...that time just got significantly truncated).

You might check out the thread I posted this morning (it's still unanswered :P) for my thoughts on what's around the corner, specifically what might explain the Day 29 thing other than trigger scent.

#59 Posted by animehunter (2306 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert: Anyway, when all is said and done, you could maybe track the amount of days that passed by reading the issues and guess at the time line but, as I'm sure you'll agree it doesn't matter what the time line is, it's all down to what the writer does. He can make the trip seem like it's been a few days when it's really been a couple of weeks.

But I will agree, it did not seem like it was that long. for which I'll say again, it's down to the writer and what he decides.

#60 Posted by impossibilly (893 posts) - - Show Bio

The Day 25 bit definitely surprised me. I wonder if declining sales led to Marvel telling Hopeless to wrap the 30 days up faster than he originally planned, so that they could bump sales with a new Avengers Arena first issue by starting "season 2" sooner. But maybe I'm just being cynical before having any coffee today.

#61 Posted by CaptainM (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi, I'm that guy from CBR (kid infact, im 15) who claimed both on CBR and twitter that it is not day 25 it has to be 15 or 16. And I'm really sure about this I mean if you read the issues by caring just a little bit you could have realised that issues 5-6-8-9 take part on the same day. I'll quote my posts on CBR:

Well in issue 5, Reptil wakes up for the first time after being burned. There has to be only 1 day between issues 4 and 5. And Juston says he was left behind for almost a week , I'll assume that is 6 days. But it might be 5 too.So:

Issue 1 : Day 1

Issue 2 : Day 1

Issue 3 : Day 8

Issue 4 : Day 13 (Because tomorrow they will have found Juston)

Issue 5 : Day 14 (X-23 finds Juston in the afternoon, after she attacks Hazmat and Reptil)

Issue 6 : Day 14

Issue 8 : Day 14

Issue 9 : Day 14 (The night)

Issue 10: Day 15

So we're halfway through it.

AND

I'm telling you issues 5-6-8 and 9 take part in the same day

And 10 is definetly the next day since they realise Juston died.

And we know there are at least 5 days between issue 3 and 4 as Juston says. Only thing that might be wrong is the days between issue 4 and 5. But I don't think it would make much difference because Reptil wakes up for the very first time after being burnt.

And this issue took part in the same day as issue 10 did.

So it should have been day 14-15-16-17

#62 Posted by CaptainM (8 posts) - - Show Bio

There are 5 or 6 days between issue 3 and 4 because in issue 3 Juston gets lost and when he is found he says it's almost been a week. There are 1 or 2 days between issue 4 and 5 because Reptil wakes up for the very first time after being burny. There are 1 or 2 minutes between issue 5 and 6 because it is right after Nara/CUllen/Aiden falls to the river. There are 5-10 minutes between issue 6 and 7 because Apex and DL has just run away and Aiden is still shocked. (Time passes in this issue a little and we are at the night of the day) There are just a couple seconds between issue 8 and 9 because it's still Chase vs Juston. And there are a couple hours between issues 9 and 10 because Nico wakes up for the first time after beign knocked down by Apex. Finally, there are a couple minutes between issue 10 and 11 because our crew falls down from sky after Nico has just teleproted them away which happens in issue 10. So whatever Hopeless says and even though I love this book with my life, he screwed up a big time.

#63 Posted by impossibilly (893 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainm: Thanks for writing that timeline out. Everything you wrote there makes sense to me.

I really think Marvel editorial told Hopeless to speed up the clock on the series, forcing him to change what Cammi's clock would have said in the most recent issue from 15 to 25.

#64 Posted by animehunter (2306 posts) - - Show Bio
#65 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

So I saw this last night, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around how Apex's last words here make any sense at all in context.

#66 Posted by Jaegerjaquez (1953 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait. So one of the kids went bad?

#67 Posted by CaptainM (8 posts) - - Show Bio

It's either Chase or Reptil or both dying in issue 12. I can't wait to see.

#69 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

Can someone explain to me how Marvel justifies having issue 14 say the contestants "have fought" (as in, are done fighting) one another and are turning on Arcade, and then just two issues later saying "all-out battle royale!"

#70 Posted by animehunter (2306 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert: One would assume it's a battle between Apex, Death Locket & maybe Chase against everyone else, maybe even Powell. Because issue 16 seems to suggest Apex & Death Locket left Arcades Lair and two different teens found their way there. You also still have the fight between Hazmat and X-23 which we saw in issue 1.

#71 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

@animehunter: It just strikes me as rather stupid to say "and finally, after 13 issues, they have teamed up against their tormentor" and have him turn them back on each other in a single issue. I suppose it's less a problem with 16's solicit phrasing and more with 14's.

I also don't think that it suggests someone other than Apex and DL. The solicit was written prior to this issue coming out, so it's very possible that the two kids in Arcade's lair are still those two.

#72 Edited by animehunter (2306 posts) - - Show Bio
#73 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@animehunter: It just strikes me as rather stupid to say "and finally, after 13 issues, they have teamed up against their tormentor" and have him turn them back on each other in a single issue. I suppose it's less a problem with 16's solicit phrasing and more with 14's.

I also don't think that it suggests someone other than Apex and DL. The solicit was written prior to this issue coming out, so it's very possible that the two kids in Arcade's lair are still those two.

It's like an over-extended radio self promo that just willnotend.

This is the most drawn-out (read milked) story line I have ever come across in a long, long time.

LAST FINAL STORY ARC

PART ONE OF SUPER BOSS

PART TWO OF SUPER DUPER BOSS

PART THREE OF (reallymeanitnowthisisthebigone) OF SUPER AMAZING DUPEREST BOSSIEST BOSS

yeah. This is an idea for an "ongoing" series alright.

Besides, the writer already lied. Solicits means nothing when it comes to this "series".

#74 Edited by animehunter (2306 posts) - - Show Bio
#75 Posted by DEGRAAF (7918 posts) - - Show Bio

I havent been reading this series.

Who's the kid with the punisher sweater and who is the Avatar girl with the reverse scuba mask?

#76 Posted by animehunter (2306 posts) - - Show Bio
#78 Edited by animehunter (2306 posts) - - Show Bio

Issue 17

“BOSS LEVEL” PART 4: THE FINAL FIGHTS RAGE ON!

Up on MurderWorld Island, it’s the surviving contestants in an all-out battle royale!

Down in Arcade’s lair, it’s two other contestants vs. Arcade!

OUT November 13th 2013

Issue 18 (FINAL ISSUE) - OUT NOVEMBER 27TH

"BOSS LEVEL” PART 5: THE SEARING SERIES FINALE!

Arcade’s mad plan comes to pass! Who lives? Who dies?

Shock follows shock as the game reaches its last desperate seconds!

AVENGERS ARENA ends here…but it’s also the launch pad for what comes next!

OUT November 27th 2013

To further corroborate this is the final issue we have this article

Also in November, "Avengers Arena" reaches its planned end with issue #18, dubbed "the searing series finale!" that's also "the launch pad for what comes next." In April, series writer Dennis Hopeless revealed that the "Boss Level" arc would serve as the finale for the first "season" of the series.

"The 'Boss Level' arc brings the story we set up with issue #1 to a close," Hopeless told CBR. "We told you from the start that this was a 30-day competition. 'Boss Level' takes us all the way to day 30 and beyond. After this, everything changes."

#79 Posted by papad1992 (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

@animehunter: Well as all this is coming to a climactic "end," I worry what entails for this group of unfortunates as we progress to the next "season."

#83 Posted by Kirateufel (25 posts) - - Show Bio

^
oh god...Aiden>.<? Darkhawk?

#84 Posted by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

m3th doesn't want any spoilers. m3th is enjoying the series. m3th trade waits and m3th wants it to end. It would be stupid if they didn't.

Count m3th out for ongoing series.

-m3th.O.D.-

#90 Edited by animehunter (2306 posts) - - Show Bio
#91 Posted by Blizaga101 (942 posts) - - Show Bio

Thought I'd contribute to this forum, loved Avengers Arena, cant wait for undercover.

#92 Posted by ShadowPro (1812 posts) - - Show Bio

how did x23 and hazmat battle end?

#93 Posted by animehunter (2306 posts) - - Show Bio

They survived due to Anachronism attacking X-23, but X-23 hurt Hazmat so badly that she went nuclear

#94 Edited by ShadowPro (1812 posts) - - Show Bio

@animehunter:

@animehunter said:

@shadowpro said:

They survived due to Anachronism attacking X-23, but X-23 hurt Hazmat so badly that she went nuclear

thank you, I was curious, cuz I got bored in issue 5, and I didnt want to keep reading it just to see that fight but now they say that hazmat can control her power cos she went nuclear and I was curious

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.