pspin's Avengers Arena #5 - Born Leader review

Avengers Arena #5 Review

Avengers Arena #5 Review

Overview:

Murderworld through the eyes of Kid Briton.

The Good:

Arcade shows up here to ramp up the game and it is a refreshing change of pace compared to watching the kids wonder whether they should kill each other or not. The mystery of who attacked Reptil is solved, which is good, but I am not sure if I agree with who it was.

Dennis Hopeless does a great job writing Kid Briton. This is arguably the best issue yet, maybe the Deathlokette one; and I believe it is because Kid Briton is an original character for Hopeless. If he isn’t original, I am unfamiliar with him. This shows that the series is starting to get off of the ground.

The art by Kev Walker and colors by Frank Martin are great. The art continues to be the high point of the book and it is great. The first flashback looks particularly good.

The cover by Dave Johnson is wonderful as well.

The Bad:

Kid Briton is an asshole. He is well written but an asshole none the less. There was very little, if anything to like about him.

Verdict:

This issue was really good for the series and shows that there is potential yet. As much as everyone loves to complain about this, that, and the other, there is not much here to hate as the more b-list characters are the focus. Dennis Hopeless really shows what he can do here while Kev Walker and Frank Martin deliver some great art and the issue ends up as a pleasant surprise. This is a step in the right direction.

3.5 out of 5