theacidskull's Avengers Arena #10 - Game On Part 3 of 5 review

R.I.P Nico, You Will Be Missed.

This is My first review of the Avengers arena, and it'll probably won't be my last either, see the thing is that i've kept hope that the series would improve, and it and they kids would team up and defeat arcade or at least something like that, but i should have figured it out from the moment mettle died that that the kids/heroes would probably die one way or the other, even the major ones. i decided to postpone my review until the word was out about one of the main characters deaths, and since i've waited lets start reviewing.

First of as usual, i'd like to get the art out of the way. it's not exactly bad, but it's ....i guess...ill structured. What i mean is that sometimes the characters seem bent in an odd way or the faces are kind of rusty. For example on one panel x-23 looks as if her hands are connected with her legs, and her face looks as if she just sniffed up cocaine , and no this isn't a joke, the face was hilariously stupid. and the flow of the actions scenes shifted from smooth to rusty from time to time, it wasn't enjoyable at all.

As for the story, not much makes sense here. i get that hopeless is trying to make some of the kids as a bad guy to show what circumstances could do to us, but it just doesn't work well. for one thing When Laura goes to look for and FINDS katy, she meets chase and tells him to stay put, and so he does, and while she is getting stomped by a huge sentinel, chase says OMG and does absolutely nothing to help. so i'm supposed to believe that chase, a stubborn , athlete jock with powers didn't even try to help? i know he and Laura aren't exactly teammates or friends but it would have made sense for him to intervene. Also, why was x-23 unable to doge a huge robots attacks when she dodges bullets with ease? so a master strategist killing machine wasn't able to figure out that the giant robot standing behind the villain would be a problem? or did she simply ignore it? or wasn't it her who said that as soon as she meets someone she instantly tries to account for everything a couple of issues back? where did that go? no idea.

Then katy, the supposed intellectual villain who will do anything to survive and win, doesn't get rid of the main threat, x-23 , and tosses her miles away to her friends because the plot demeaned it. Look, i don't want Laura dead, don't get me wrong, but there should have at least been a logical reason to why katy let x-23 live, not that she would be able to kill her though.

Now we get to the good part, as they are fighting, they end up at the end of a cliff, where Nico saves her friends, but before she can get out, she gets injured and has to close the portal. not here is the deal. While nico gets up, chase comes back, as darkhawk, and nico apologizes for being a jerk, but then it turns out that chase being controlled, and therefore he cuts here arm of and knocks her off a cliff. Before i get into why this sucks i'd like to ask , why didn't nico realize something was off? Chase knew who the bad guy was, and yet he didn't attack her at all, and nico, for some reason doesn't realize that chase, her friend mind you, isn't attacking the obvious foe for some reason. it's bad enough that she basically threw out a close friend of his out of the group to be alone, now she can't even think straight?

But thats not the problem, her death, was absolutely idiotic. i had no build up, and she was just sacrificed how hopeless's characters could live on, for whom none of us even care about , not even a little. Nicos death was sudden, and if had not emotional force or merit to it. sure it could have been sad that her friend was the one who executed her unwillingly, but it just didn't work, because it was not played out well.

Recommendation: You Think?

Edited by lykopis

I thought I had figured out most of the problems I had with this title but you brought up fantastic points in this review! Chase would have leaped at helping Laura -- immediately -- having him hang back was almost cowardly in light of what happened to X-23 (thank you for pointing out the stupidity in how the restructured Sentinel could even get his hands on her) and wow --- that is spot on about Katy not keeping X-23 close considering how dangerous Laura is? Even with the idea of Katy not being aware who X-23 is, if the goal is to kill everyone, why not follow through?

Excellent point.

And your thoughts about how Nico should have realized something was off with Chase due to his calm demeanor standing by Katy -- yes, yes, YES! Her instincts would have kicked in and she would have known something was off -- she wouldn't be so naive -- this is Nico we are talking about here -- street smart and tough.

Awesome review -- very well thought out and I agree with everything you've brought out -- the inconsistencies not withstanding, the art has been atrocious in terms of facial expressions and body placement.

Thanks for this! :)

Posted by TheAcidSkull

@lykopis said:

Excellent point.

Thanks for this! :)

^____^ thanks !

And i'm gald you agree with me, i'm tired of Nico and x-23 being treated this way, this was no way for nico to die! i hate this title because good characters are dying simply because Marvel wants to make money -___-

Edited by lykopis

Words fail at this point when it comes that this series. Nico's death was just --- awful. Awful in so many ways and having Hopeless's characters being shoved down my throat and sacrificing X-23 - jobbing her for fu.....--- okay, I will not swear. I won't.

I know a few people who are enjoying the series and I can appreciate their point of view but it's the old fans who are getting the shaft -- the ones who turned to Arena because they shut down Academy and have wasted time in supporting a book that is systematically getting rid of the characters we were following.

I am always willing to give a new book a chance -- I mean, I am picking up both Uncanny and All New X-Men still, but this one -- this one I am dropping. Seeing the preview page of Cammie and Reptil in each other's arms with the caption that love is in the air or something stupid to that effect is just more crap on top of crap. So much for Mettle's ultimate sacrifice in keeping her alive.

Posted by TheAcidSkull

@lykopis said:

I know what you mean, nico dying was terrible and x-23 jobbing is even worse -___-, but hopefully this series will end soon since it's loosing sales as each issue comes out, and Yost did say thats if x-23 doesn't die or something we should at least expect a new crossover with kaine and laura.

hope they bring nico back.

Edited by Cyclops4President