me24601's Avengers Arena #1 - Worse Things review

• me24601 wrote this review on .
  • me24601 has written a total of 8 reviews. The last one was for Book Four

Everything that is wrong with comics

My least favorite thing in comics has always been the killing of characters for no reason other than shock value. So, when I first heard the concept of this book, I wanted to punch the Marvel editorial staff in the face. And now that I've read it, that remains completely true. This is a book that exists to kill off characters that have huge fan bases behind them. It's something that should have been shot down when it was first pitched, and should not have gotten anywhere near being printed. If Marvel wanted to piss people off with this book, then mission accomplished.

Posted by germinfestedmisfit

plus they are pretty much just doing a super hero version of battle royale, i mean does anyone not see this? the first issue cover is pretty much of rip off of the movie poster

don't care man, battle royale already had an awesome movie, book, and manga, this is just going to be an amateur version of that type of story at best.

Edited by Danial79

I'm assuming there's a forcefield around the island? Because several of the characters listed can fly. Also, there's only 8 teens listed, so if there's 16 in total, that means they must have 8 that are instantly expendable...

Posted by ME24601

@Danial79: There were 16 names listed by Arcade in the issue, and about half of those were completely foreign to me. I couldn't even find any information about them online.

As for the forcefield, it seems that Arcade has complete control over their bodies, and that he has has rigged them to explode if the fall out of line.

Posted by Meteorite

I haven't read this issue yet and I'm not planning on picking it up, so I can't comment on the quality of the story, but allow me to rebut two complaints presented here:

@germinfestedmisfit said:

the first issue cover is pretty much of rip off of the movie poster

Yes, that's why it's called a homage cover. I very much doubt that someone at Marvel said "Look at this awesome poster! Let's rip it off and hope that no one notices!" It's clearly the inspiration for AA, hence why they're homaging that. It's a reference, nothing more.

@ME24601 said:

... about half of those were completely foreign to me. I couldn't even find any information about them online.

I'm fairly sure that it's been stated that there are new characters being brought in for this series. And if you're not familiar with the characters, then why pick up the book? You've already stated that you went into it expecting to hate it.

Posted by ME24601

@Meteorite said:

I'm familiar with most of the characters, mainly the guys from Avengers Academy and Runaways, and I always give something a chance, even if I expect that I'm going to hate it.

@ME24601 said:

Fair enough then, but you can at least see why you couldn't find info on some of the characters if there are some new ones, yes?

Posted by germinfestedmisfit

@Meteorite:

ah the 'ol "homage" aka, rip off because you can't hide the fact that it's unoriginal so let's just say we're doing an homage so we can now just straight take the same aesthetic.

@germinfestedmisfit:

...You're new to this whole comic book thing, aren't you? A homage cover isn't a sign of laziness, it's a sign of respect and admiration for another work. Even movies will homage things, either through particular shots and angles, or even just with their own posters. Don't dismiss something just because you don't like it.

Posted by That60sGuy

@Meteorite: Way to tell em fella!