Two More in Avengers Academy

• 88 results
Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

We've been getting promos for Avengers Academy members at a rate of one-a-day, so far. But today.... today today today... Marvel has started escalation and ramped up the frequency, revealing no less than two heroines enrolled in the AA (not to be confused with that other AA) - - Finesse and Hazmat - - and both of them are just as cute as argyle-printed buttons. Right above, we have Finesse, who seems to have patterned her mantra off of that enduring song about the War of the Sexes -- "Anything you can do, I can do better. Sooner or later, I'm greater than you..." and so on. I'm going to put it out there that somewhere, anywhere, in the Marvel Universe she absolutely, positively, must have a sidekick named Style. C'mon... Style & Finesse. They go better together than peas & carrots, than Hawk and Dove, than Sachs and Violens!

The other debutante today is the radiation-themed Hazmat, whose outfit reminds me of Beatrix Kiddo the Bride, G-Force and an Evangelion jumpsuit in all the right ways. These two are, of course, joining Fortress, Striker, Reptil, and Veil, bringing the Avengers Academy line-up to six in total. Do you think that's all of them, oh tally-taking Comic Vine community? Do you think there are more heroes yet to be revealed? And what do you think of these fresh faces so far? 

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia Comics.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com .

#1 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

LAME!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 Posted by Captain13 (3327 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to know who the regular Avengers are. Come on Marvel!

#3 Posted by Buffalo_Squeeze (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Whitest cast ever...

#4 Posted by CKO (28 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually interested in these characters; the others not so much. I definitely think the girls in the Marvel U are much better than the men. As I've said before this book strikes me as the Avenger's answer to the Xavier Institute. Which, I really don't mind; I personally enjoyed reading some of those books; I was a fan of Nunzio Defilippis & Christina Weir. =]

#5 Edited by CKO (28 posts) - - Show Bio
@Buffalo_Squeeze: Hazmat looks like she could be Asian and Reptil is Hispanic.
#6 Posted by shockwave632 (55 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna go out on the obvious limb here and say that Finesse's ability is to mimic the physical talents of anyone she sees. 

As for Hazmat, I'm a little stumped. If she gives off dangerous radiation, wouldn't that hurt the whole team? But if she's immune to radiation, what's the point of that? What would be the difference then between her and anyone else in a hazmat suit?

#7 Posted by crimsonspider89 (817 posts) - - Show Bio

Hazmat will have radiation abilites that the suit allows her to control and direct. My two sense there and Finesse will have photographic reflexes( Like Taskmaster/Echo) or just be really trained in combat and be a good tactician.

#8 Posted by CKO (28 posts) - - Show Bio
@shockwave632 said:
" I'm gonna go out on the obvious limb here and say that Finesse's ability is to mimic the physical talents of anyone she sees.
Yea, you're right; photographic reflexes.
#9 Posted by Yportne (268 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the other Hazmat better...the one on the Imperfects

#10 Posted by Bobcat14 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

Well next week it's gonna be "We are the X-Men" week i bet. So I cant wait to see that. These teasers are pretty cool i don't mind them. 
But most of these new characters are lame.
#11 Posted by Vortex13 (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

Finesse's costume kind of reminds me of Nightwing for some reason.

#12 Posted by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio

They all have short black hair

#13 Posted by Bobcat14 (25 posts) - - Show Bio
@Buffalo_Spueeze FYI Reptil (Humberto Lopez) is hispanic and Hazmat looks asian.
#14 Posted by Dane (10596 posts) - - Show Bio

Hazmat is related to Radioactive Man in some way by the looks of things.

#15 Posted by sora_thekey (8174 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tyler Starke said:
"They all have short black hair "

Standard Military issue.. IDK... XD 

Finesse's quote sounded Woverine-y too me....
#16 Posted by crimsonspider89 (817 posts) - - Show Bio

So, lets look at the team power wise so far. 

Two quick melee fighters (Reptil and Finesse), two energy type fighters( Striker and Hazmat), Fortress is probably gonna be the brawler and Veil probably gonna be support of some kind.

#17 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

These characters are terrible.

#18 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Did Wasp have any kids?

#19 Posted by Ladyspider (77 posts) - - Show Bio

We is Marvel giving us such weak charcaters to read this title is so stupid and a waste of money.

#20 Posted by Nyogtha (353 posts) - - Show Bio
@CKO:  So a less verbose version of Taskmaster and a girl version Radioactive Man?
#21 Posted by danhimself (22541 posts) - - Show Bio

isn't everyone usually complaining about the lack of new characters?  well now we have a book full of them and everyone is complaining about that?  man there is no pleasing you people

#22 Edited by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey: 
They're almost lyrics from a song in Annie Get Your Gun.

#23 Posted by tropicalisland (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Finese says- "I can do anything you can do better." And a girl says that so its obvious that this team reeks of Political Correctness and gender balance. 

If they don't introduce any tough guys in this team, I ain't paying for this crap.

#24 Posted by leokearon (1803 posts) - - Show Bio

Mockingbird and Radioactive Man Juniors anyone?
#25 Posted by Chaos Burn (1784 posts) - - Show Bio

anyone else think she looks like domino/mockingbird

the mockino!!!

#26 Posted by papad1992 (6829 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Finesse isn't a new character. Maybe she's Melee from the intiative, but only with a new costume.

#27 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm assuming like most others that Finesse will have photographic reflexes or something like that. I personally would have preferred Melee who was part of the Initiative. As for Hazmat I don't think she has anything to do with Radioactive man, the symbol in her name is the bio-hazard symbol not a radioactive symbol.

#28 Posted by crimsonspider89 (817 posts) - - Show Bio
@tropicalisland:  They have. Fortress looks to be the tough guy of the team. 
#29 Posted by Bobcat14 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dane so Marvel is just looking at the Avengers rogues gallery and adapting them as children and possible heroes
Veil - ???  
Striker - Electro 
Reptil - Sauron
Fortress - Red Skull/Ultron

Finesse - Taskmaster
Hazmat - Radioactive Man

#30 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" isn't everyone usually complaining about the lack of new characters?  well now we have a book full of them and everyone is complaining about that?  man there is no pleasing you people "
The Initiative had decent new characters....  these concepts just look weak.
#31 Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
@cmaprice: That's the one!
#32 Posted by danhimself (22541 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine said:
" @danhimself said:
" isn't everyone usually complaining about the lack of new characters?  well now we have a book full of them and everyone is complaining about that?  man there is no pleasing you people "
The Initiative had decent new characters....  these concepts just look weak. "
most of The Initiative's characters have already graduated...and you're judging these characters from 1 image...lets see what they do with the characters before we say how stupid they are
#33 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" @John Valentine said:
" @danhimself said:
most of The Initiative's characters have already graduated...and you're judging these characters from 1 image...lets see what they do with the characters before we say how stupid they are "
The tag lines are retarded.....
#34 Posted by crimsonspider89 (817 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine:  So? They had to come up with a sentence tagline for these young heroes and it does sound like something teenagers would say and tell me that the taglines of the SA/A/NA were much better? No, they were not. People are hating on them without any reason. I believe everybody did the same with the Initiative characters, Bucky Cap and so forth. But then grew to love them.
#35 Posted by danhimself (22541 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine said:
" @danhimself said:
" @John Valentine said:
" @danhimself said:
most of The Initiative's characters have already graduated...and you're judging these characters from 1 image...lets see what they do with the characters before we say how stupid they are "
The tag lines are retarded..... "
so...they're just taglines...remember that Christos Gage is writing the book...the same guy that writes Avengers Initiative
#36 Posted by lostlantern13 (860 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel definitely should've given us an instructor for the Academy. Oh well, at least I'll have Brubaker's Secret Avengers and one of Bendis' Avengers title.

#37 Edited by A Boy Named Art (32 posts) - - Show Bio

I do like that Marvel is adding some diversity to the cast here, but I'm still curious as to two things:

1) the status of the Young Avengers (Personally, I'd love to see Cassie and Kate become trainers at the Academy)
2) the status of SHRA - after all, that's what got the whole mess started.

#38 Posted by touch37 (56 posts) - - Show Bio
@Buffalo_Squeeze:
But, Hazmat looks like she may be Asian.
#39 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
" Did Wasp have any kids? "
Not to my knowledge.
#40 Posted by Theansweris42 (34 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the Initiative story lines, and I thought I would like this series as well, but so far none of the characters have really captured any of my attention.  

The cool thing about Initiative was that they had a grab bag of old unused characters and new ones that caused some interesting interaction.  But most of these characters seem arrogant and have power sets that seem about as interesting the recent Dr. Strange mini series were he was training a random girl how to use magic.  

Here's hoping it all turns out well. 

#41 Edited by Illuminarch (244 posts) - - Show Bio

"I can do anything you can do better." 

Is that some sort of sick joke? (Answer my question or you'll be standing tall before the man!)

Either someone at Marvel is trying to be funny or they really messed that one up. What she's really saying, then, is: "if you can do something better than I can do it, then I can do it too."

My guess is that Finesse's power is mistress of tautologies.

Oh well, at least the team is starting to look less like the Doom Patrol now.

#42 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio
@Buffalo_Squeeze said:
" Whitest cast ever... "
I must agree with you on this. Common, Marvel this is America, "the big melting pot". Lets see some diversity among the cast.

But other than that, I have no problem with this team
#43 Posted by DevilmanEX (617 posts) - - Show Bio

worst......... book......EVER......

Having obscure but at least established interesting characters in Initiative is one thing but this is just ridiculous.  There are a million obscure characters you can bring in the mix, who wants to see these lame designed additions.  A Red Skull jr guy? REALLY?! lol  I commend them for adding Reptil to mainstream Marvel continuity because I hate characters created just for movies/ shows.  But aside from that I'd rather see Squirrel girl, the Prowler, and my fav early 90's guy SLEEPWALKER make a return!

#44 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7817 posts) - - Show Bio

someone somewhere will love it

#45 Posted by sora_thekey (8174 posts) - - Show Bio
@cmaprice: LOL!
#46 Posted by Dro (941 posts) - - Show Bio

These look like such interesting powersets.

Not really.

#47 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio

looks like Marvel will drown us in Avengers insted of X books. 
#48 Posted by jacobyLIVE (1828 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm getting kind of tired of this...

#49 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio

These seem cool (: I like the look of Finesse , Not too keen on Hazmat though.

#50 Posted by War Killer (20194 posts) - - Show Bio

Finesse's uniform looks like Mockingbirds in a way. Still, cool to see these new heroes, I'd like to see how they act towards the other young heroes they will be joining in this new series.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.