Follow

Avengers Academy

Team » Avengers Academy appears in 211 issues.

The Avengers Academy is a program where veteran heroes help train young people with dangerous super-powers and damaged psyches to become valuable heroes.

Review: Avengers Academy

Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided

Finesse ponders her own motivations and the lure of her possibly-super villainous past while the new members of the Academy face off against Arsenal, an old war machine created by Howard Stark's.       

The Good

Finesse's characterization is the highlight of this issue. I don't think I've ever encountered a personality quite like her's in any story. She's almost super-humanly aware of herself and her teammates' motivations. I'd say she's clinical about it, but that's not really the word. She doesn't come off like a robot, just oddly detached. I especially like how she deduces how she's probably got some relation to the Taskmaster and how she's probably going to turn evil without any real emotional investment in the implications. Whether it's her own potential corruption or surprise attacks from Arsenal - - everything's just a statement of fact to her. Rather than being motivated by altruism or selfishness, she's instead driven by a strangely-pathologicaly, amoral desire to learn, and that's truly unique.  McKone's art is great to see here, as well. He's always got the chops for heoric anatomy and dynamic action, but his real strength is the amount of personality he's able to convey through these characters' body language. I'm really impressed by the range of subtle emotions and reactions he's able to render through just the subtlest turn of lines in facial expressions. These  Avengers looks like real people and awkward teens, not posing statues.

The Bad

Even with the twist about how these kids were chosen for their super-villainous potential by Norman Osborn, this still feels like the third or fourth team that Marvel's got out there who are supposed to be "the next generation of heroes." The notion of Finesse (and possibly other team members) having supervillainois parents even overlaps a little on the origins of the  Bastards of Evil that the Young Allies are currently facing in their own book. Maybe there will soon prove to be a lot more than meets the eye but, at the moment, I can't help feeling like this title's doing a little conceptual "double-dipping."

The Verdict - 3.5/5

Right now, the best thing this book's got going for it is Finesse's unique characterization and the routes that the Academy's potentially super-villainous connections could go. I've enjoyed Gage's writing in the past, so I trust he's got some aces up his sleeve. And it's, of course, still early in the series to judge this book without giving it a fair shake, but I think there's going to have to be some twists, and soon, to make this title stand out from books like Young Allies, Young Avengers and even Runaways.

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#1  Edited By Baddamdog

Finesse is my fav as well!!

karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By karrob
    @Baddamdog said:
    " Finesse is my fav as well!! "
    Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Joe Venom

Great review Zack! This book is finally starting to get on a roll, sure they said these kids could possilby become very dangerous but the only one that I saw with the potential of being so was Hazmat at first glance.

If the rest of the stories of the remaning characters or any where as good Finesse this could turn out to be a great series. The one character I'm looking forward to reading about is Mettle, he doesn't seem to be able to take a hit very well, and does not appear to be any stronger then Spiderman, so what makes him so dangerous? I think he might have a Hulk sort of effect (madder=stronger) because so far he has been a very calm and easy going person, but I don't want to see that and hope they go in another direction.

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By bingbangboom

I thought the book was pretty good and was a nice way to have the first few issues be about one of the characters mainly without just flat out stating it like in Ultimate X.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By xerox_kitty

I've really enjoyed this book so far.  This and Young Allies are the two books that keep me interested at the moment.  But Finesse is a little creepy.  Mike McKone seems to like the character, and spends more time focussed on her soft & fluffy eyelashes that anything else in the entire book... But the way she's written with so much confidence & the capacity for blackmail; she almost comes across as a potential date-rapist.

CharlieJade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By CharlieJade
    @bingbangboom said:
    " I thought the book was pretty good and was a nice way to have the first few issues be about one of the characters mainly without just flat out stating it like in Ultimate X. "
    this comic has great potential

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.